[1.12.2+] Eve Optimized Engines v3.0.2

OhioBob

• 5 months later...
On 4/8/2016 at 12:52 PM, OhioBob said:

For this mod, I computed what the ISP of the stock engines would be if we redesigned the nozzles to give us an exit pressure of 4.2 atmospheres.  This is the atmospheric pressure on Eve at an altitude of 1000 meters.  These engines are designed specifically for launches from low altitudes.  If you plan to land on a mountain top, then you are likely better off just using the stock engines. 

Would you mind sharing the formulae involved? I'd like to make the reverse of this, Vacuum-optimized engines for Mesbin in Whirligig World, as well as some more extreme high-pressure optimized engines for worlds with even thicker atmospheres.

36 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

Would you mind sharing the formulae involved? I'd like to make the reverse of this, Vacuum-optimized engines for Mesbin in Whirligig World, as well as some more extreme high-pressure optimized engines for worlds with even thicker atmospheres.

Do you have Excel?  It's all in an Excel spreadsheet that I could send you.

3 hours ago, GregroxMun said:
12 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Do you have Excel?  It's all in an Excel spreadsheet that I could send you.

Yeah, thanks. :) 

Ooh...cool! May I see it to please? Thanks!

• 2 months later...

UPDATE

Version 2.0.1

Changelog

• Added new part (48-8S Asp "version 2") as required for KSP v1.6.

See opening post for download link and instructions.

Eve Optimized Engines is unchanged for KSP v1.5.1 and earlier.  When used with KSP v1.6, the 48-8S "Asp" engine will now have the appearance and variants of the remodeled 48-7S "Spark" engine.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Version 2.0.2

Changelog

• Changed internal name of 48-8S Asp, version 2.
  • Added optional config to optimize engines for even higher atmospheric pressures.

See opening post for download link and instructions.

The internal name change shouldn't break saves, but any vessels built using the Asp engine since the last release will have the appearance of the engine reverted to the old art style.

The optional config decreases engine expansion ratios further to optimize engines for use on planets with atmospheric pressures near 10 atm.  The increase in high ambient pressure performance is only marginal, but every little bit helps.  This config is designed for use with mods such as Realistic Atmospheres, which increases Eve's sea level pressure to 10 atm, or planets such as Tellumo from GPP.

Edited by OhioBob

• 4 months later...

It looks like the v2 Eve Optimized Engines are Module Manager patches only. When I did this with Explodium Engines, this broke Kerbal X craft uploads because it was treated as a 'partless' part mod and I couldn't tag the parts properly for Kerbal X to recognize the parts.

I switched from Module Manager patches to full part configs to fix craft uploads to Kerbal X. I'm curious as to why you did the opposite.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

(possibly stupid question)

How does this mod interact with Restock? I'm at work so I can't check it myself.

Currently no, but I've already opened a pull request on github. It's literally changing two letters and it will be compatible.

• 2 months later...

Thanks OhioBob! I've avoided Eve because I don't like abandoning Kerbals there (or anywhere), with no way to get them home with the gathered science (I'm cheap and hate the loss of points when transmitting versus returning with science). I'm going to perform a WAG, here, and say that the Eve optimized engines should be supplemented with stock engines for use once outside of Eve's atmosphere for the return trip to Kerbin?

Now I just have to figure out how to set up my landing legs so I don't get destroyed on touchdown, LOL!

Anywho...thanks!!

Edited by strider3

23 minutes ago, strider3 said:

I'm going to perform a WAG, here, and say that the Eve optimized engines should be supplemented with stock engines for use once outside of Eve's atmosphere for the return trip to Kerbin?

That's correct.  This mod's engines are intended only for use near sea level and the initial climb through the lower atmosphere.  After you've climbed to higher altitude, you should switch to stock engines.  You'll have to decide what works best, but you may want to consider staging through three types of engines:

Stage 1 - Eve Optimized Engines (for 5 atm)
Stage 2 - Standard sea level boosters (for 1 atm)
Stage 3+ - Vacuum engines.

Eve's atmospheric pressure drops to 1 atm at about 14.6 km, so that's about where you'd want to make the switch from stage 1 to 2.

I've done some more investigating and I think the ideal switchover point between EOE engines and stock sea-level engines occurs somewhere between about 2 and 2.5 atmospheres, or roughly 8 km altitude.  That's were the stock engines generally begin to be more efficient that the EOE engines.

• 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, Kwebib said:

Thanks for the update @OhioBob!

Also, there is a typo on line 5 of the Able engine. It's spelled "Abel".

@title = LV-T55 "Abel" Liquid Fuel Engine

It actually is suppose the be Abel.  It's named after the biblical son of Eve.  If I named it Able anywhere, that's what I need to change.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.