MechJeb or Kerbal Engineer

MechJeb or Kerbal Engineer  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• MechJeb
    • Kerbal Engineer Redux
    • Neither
    • Both

Which do you prefer? Personally I like KER because of it HUD display and its customization. I also don't like having a mod that flies things for me, takes the fun away from it. 

Edited by CodeFantastic
changing poll

I use both for different reasons. KER for the flight and VAB/SPH status displays, and MJ for when I either need to get a porkchop plot for a transfer burn, or simply can't be bothered working out a rendezvous. Occasionally I let it handle the burn, if it's several minutes long - means I can go make a cuppa :)

KER without a doubt.  All of the information that it provides just adds to the 'realism' for me.  NASA wouldn't be sending up rockets without Delta-V calculations, sensors that indicate true altitude, inclination to target etc. so I feel that having that information at hand is only of benefit, and doesn't feel like a 'cheat'.  I've used MechJeb in the past, and I'm not a fan.  It takes away half of the fun - flying the contraptions is just as much part of my experience as trying to build them!  Though I can see how it's useful for long, simple and boring bits, or repeating orbital flights with a craft that's been field-tested before.

Mechjeb for me definitely. Most of the fun for me playing is in the design. Can I design a ship to fulfill the role I have planned? can I make it efficient fuel and cost-wise?

Doing the gravity turn for the 50th time by hand is *FOR ME* not fun.

The reason I got Mec Jeb was the all in one package thing, it having both information screens and automation functions in one mod. It does have its draw backs though that you have to account for in a craft design depending on what you use.

The only MJ automation I use now is the ascent guidance, maneuver planner and the node editor. 

33 minutes ago, Vicomt said:

Mechjeb for me definitely. Most of the fun for me playing is in the design. Can I design a ship to fulfill the role I have planned? can I make it efficient fuel and cost-wise?

Doing the gravity turn for the 50th time by hand is *FOR ME* not fun.

I like sitting back with a good beverage and adjusting the launch profile of a new rocket with the ascent guidance feature over and over again. I find it quite relaxing.

I like both, mainly for reasons others have already stated, but also because I like having lots of gubbinzes (otherwise they seem...naked?) attached to my craft so I always use the part-dependent versions of both (and the KER tape-deck is super cool!).

KER. And KAC, and Precise Node, and Transfer Window Planner, and FAR's flight assistance, and I don't remember what else.

I regard MechJeb as a great Swiss Army Knife. It does lots of things well enough, and the autopilot is just one of its many tools. But while a Swiss Army Knife is convenient, proper tools dedicated to their purpose do a better job.

I like VOID for the HUD, though I don't like VOID for much else. I've set up KER's HUD much like VOID's, and it's ok, but VOID is nicer, in my opinion. I use MJ for VAB dV display sometimes, and for planning interplanetary transfers sometimes.

I end up using both and neither during the course of gameplay. KER and mech jeb have errors and don't act or give information correctly. I need to check when either is giving the wrong information or to fly manually. Still useful but annoying until the next build comes out. 

Edited by sardia

Once 1.1 goes live this may be moot, but, if you use both ker AND mechjeb you are wasting memory. There is NO FUNCTION of KER that Mechjeb cannot do. Save some space if you use BOTH mods and use MJ. It IS KER with automation. 

With this said, i only use mechjeb because i need the info and refuse the tedium of burn management and thats that.

I use... neither! MechJeb because I'm not a fan of autopilots(and if I had one, I doubt I could resist the temptation to use it for everything), and KER because... I can't be bothered to install it and I really don't need it. The readouts aren't crucial to anything I do, and doing dV and TWR calculations by hand are all part of the process. This is rocket science, after all. No one said it had to be easy.

9 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

This is rocket science, after all. No one said it had to be easy.

but... This is a game, after all. No one said it had to be hard.

Seriously tho, thats the beauty of KSP... You can play it as hard or as easy as you want. :)

34 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Once 1.1 goes live this may be moot, but, if you use both ker AND mechjeb you are wasting memory. There is NO FUNCTION of KER that Mechjeb cannot do. Save some space if you use BOTH mods and use MJ. It IS KER with automation. 

With this said, i only use mechjeb because i need the info and refuse the tedium of burn management and thats that.

KER and VOID do HUD.  Yes, MJ has all the customisable windows but sometimes ... no window at all is better.
MJ has no heat readouts.
There are more differences, but it would be tedious to list them all.

And for those who say they enjoy doing the dV calculations by hand ...
I'm as big a fan of understanding the maths behind it all as the next man (unless it's slashy) but are you also calculating all the figures and other information these mods show you while you fly?  Biome, heading to target, etc. etc.  Dynamic navigation stuff that even the simplest boat (let alone 'plane) has?

Edited by Pecan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.