Better multi monitor support

Earlier today I had the chance to briefly play KSP on a triple 1080p setup, it was running on the display computer in a PC shop. And to be honest the UI doesn't work very well. You've got staging way out on the left, resources way out on the right, navball in the middle, it's all rather awkward. I ended up dragging empty boosters into space because I didn't even see that they were out of fuel.

I think KSP would benefit from a UI that's better in such setups. The obvious thing would be to keep all UI on the central screen, though there might be other solutions.

Edited by cantab

I didn't know KSP worked in a multi-monitor setup, unless you mean that your system is set up in such a way that the three monitors behave like a single screen. Indeed, while inconvenient that things are all over the three screens, having them bunched all together in the middle (not utilizing the edges) would be inconvenient for those that play KSP on a single screen.

In a true multi-monitor environment it would be much more useful to dedicate one monitor to map mode, one to the regular view and perhaps a third one to IVA, I think.

I don't know the details of the system setup, it may well have been doing what you described.

I suppose making it generally configurable, but with sane defaults, would be best. So that the player who does have an ultrawide screen, or multiple monitors that KSP thinks are one, can just move the interface elements into the correct place themself.

It doesn't work in Multi-monitor natively (I wish it would).  What you do is run it in border-less window mode that spans the full range of all 3 monitors.  However, the number of games that support a native multi-monitor setup is very small.

Elite Dangerous handles it pretty well but it's cockpit design kinda plays into it, since it has that whole 3 segmented areas.  I think Multi-monitor in KSP would better take the form of an always open solar system map on one screen, and everything else on the other (2-monitors), a 3rd monitor could be used to have the IVA always visible.  Of course, which monitor is which should be configurable.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.