"The selected part is not attachable"

How do I build a subassembly?  I'm trying to boost a monstrosity of a mining base and I need to duplicate some boosters.  (And it won't even let me build them attached the main body, it's subassemblies or scrap the whole design.)  No matter what I do when I try to drop a subassembly on the drop zone it says it's not attachable.

From what I read I need to have an open attachment point, which I do.  The attachment point is a separator.

Do I just have to haul a bunch of pilots up there and build it with KIS?

when it says the selected part is not attachable that means the part with which you are holding with your curser.

for instance, when most people build a sub-assembly the first thing they do is grab a fuel tank. (that fuel tank is the ROOT of the build).

when you want to create a sub assembly the attachable part needs to be like a separator/decoupler/clampotron AND that part HAS to be the ROOT of the sub assembly build.

in the VAB-SPH top left, there are icons. there is a root icon, use that- click icon - click any part of the structure - click the separator. done.

(this is how I do it, and understand it)

there may be more parts that constitute being attatable, however the rule of thumb is the part that you want to attach needs to be the root.

if you have already done this ^^ post a pic (F1) let us see

Edited by C04L

4 hours ago, C04L said:

when it says the selected part is not attachable that means the part with which you are holding with your curser.

for instance, when most people build a sub-assembly the first thing they do is grab a fuel tank. (that fuel tank is the ROOT of the build).

when you want to create a sub assembly the attachable part needs to be like a separator/decoupler/clampotron AND that part HAS to be the ROOT of the sub assembly build.

in the VAB-SPH top left, there are icons. there is a root icon, use that- click icon - click any part of the structure - click the separator. done.

(this is how I do it, and understand it)

there may be more parts that constitute being attatable, however the rule of thumb is the part that you want to attach needs to be the root.

if you have already done this ^^ post a pic (F1) let us see

Aha!  That would explain why I have had zero success in building a subassembly.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.