Serial Space Station: Add your own module! (Closed - check out the new Community Space Station thread instead!)

Looks good.  Someone was perhaps sloppy about de-orbiting their lifter and removing debris?  Feel free to deorbit or delete any craft that isn't part of the KSS (or a Jool ship once we launch)

Is something like MechJeb 2 allowed? Will it break the save if it is used?

EDIT: Also, i am planning a lander in another save file, (ppl can still have their turn), and i was wondering if fuel lines would count toward part limit. Would you be able to tell me?

Edited by Block3y219
Addition to query

3 hours ago, Block3y219 said:

Is something like MechJeb 2 allowed? Will it break the save if it is used?

EDIT: Also, i am planning a lander in another save file, (ppl can still have their turn), and i was wondering if fuel lines would count toward part limit. Would you be able to tell me?

Hi Block3y219,

Fuel lines do count towards parts if the base node (the first click) is on the main ship. So you can use extra cans for reserve fuel that feed TO the main module as long as you dont leave them attached to the station once you are done. Same as with struts.

And Mechjeb will not destroy the save as long as you (once again) disconnect it from the station and de-orbit it (or delete in tracking station). If autopilot is allowed, not sure, but guess so?

On 30.4.2016 at 8:57 AM, JebsDead said:

P.S.  There is a stray command pod in the save file in orbit below the station.  I don't see anything about it in the last few pages.  I left it alone.

That'll be mine, the save i gave somehow reverted 5 minutes backwards.... I'll go "land" it.

The capsule has been dealt with 

3gKs4Eh.jpg

Pic of station (didn't add anything)

Save link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqnywq4ez3ihscr/KSS.sfs?dl=0

OK, mission complete.  Also cleaned up and updated the OP.  Sorry guys, but the builders report got out of control and had to go, as we have had something like 40 modules completed and I can't keep track any more :)

I did some cleanup and moved a pair of Gigantors over to the scout ship.  I declare the scout ship officially ready for a Jool system scouting mission.  Next Jool window is Year 2, day 242 at 2:24:00

Savegame is here.

Cleared for next mission

Edited by Jetski

Laythe SSTOs for the Jool mission will be launched in approx. 8 hours (or 1 day and 8 hours, if delays occur). I kind of had to break the rules a little bit, because it's impossible to build an SSTO with 8 parts + 2 docking ports. My current estimate is 25-30, and I can't strip it down any more without it being unable to function properly. Hopefully, they'll be up before the launch window. I'll also transfer the Original Four and any other crew members needed to fill up the Jool Ship over. @Jetski, since you created this challenge, you should probably do the TJI (Trans-Jool Injection), interplanetary cruise, and Jool aerobrake or JOI (Jool Orbit Insertion).

Edited by KAL 9000

5 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Laythe SSTOs for the Jool mission will be launched in approx. 8 hours (or 1 day and 8 hours, if delays occur). I kind of had to break the rules a little bit, because it's impossible to build an SSTO with 8 parts + 2 docking ports. My current estimate is 25-30, and I can't strip it down any more without it being unable to function properly.

Sorry @KAL 9000, 8+2 is the max for a ship module.  I have to enforce that one, because if we go over the station will become unusable very quickly.  Can you launch it in modular pieces so we can assemble in orbit? Remember, docking ports and such can be removed in orbit and the ship welded together!  Cooperation is key here.

Edit: for what it's worth, the little shuttle I used for the last maintenance mission is 14 parts (could be assembled as 2 modules).  not an SSTO, but definitely capable of a Laythe landing and return to orbit.  Maybe you can adjust your mission profile or consolidate?

Edited by Jetski

5 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Sorry @KAL 9000, 8+2 is the max for a ship module.  I have to enforce that one, because if we go over the station will become unusable very quickly.  Can you launch it in modular pieces so we can assemble in orbit? Remember, docking ports and such can be removed in orbit and the ship welded together!  Cooperation is key here.

Edit: for what it's worth, the little shuttle I used for the last maintenance mission is 14 parts (could be assembled as 2 modules).  not an SSTO, but definitely capable of a Laythe landing and return to orbit.  Maybe you can adjust your mission profile or consolidate?

All right. I think I can ship it up in sections, and I'll upload the .craft file of the completed SSTO, so that the maintenance mission can have a guide to go by during welding.

37 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

All right. I think I can ship it up in sections, and I'll upload the .craft file of the completed SSTO, so that the maintenance mission can have a guide to go by during welding.

Here's a 2 module shuttle that can reach LKO with 1000dv left, (my maintenance shuttle modified) so it could certainly do Laythe fairly easily.  8+1 port for the upper stage, and 8+2 for the lower stage.  The pair of mini docking ports can be removed in orbit.  I'm not suggesting we use it (I would rather see what you have put together!), but you might get an idea of what I'm thinking for multi-part launches.

Edit, oops, uploaded the wrong thing.  Replace the mini-decoupler with a stageable docking port Jr and the lower stage is 8+2 again.  Forgot I messed with the design again. :)

vQwBwQr.png

Edited by Jetski

1 hour ago, Jetski said:

Here's a 2 module shuttle that can reach LKO with 1000dv left, (my maintenance shuttle modified) so it could certainly do Laythe fairly easily.  8+1 port for the upper stage, and 8+2 for the lower stage.  The pair of mini docking ports can be removed in orbit.  I'm not suggesting we use it (I would rather see what you have put together!), but you might get an idea of what I'm thinking for multi-part launches.

Edit, oops, uploaded the wrong thing.  Replace the mini-decoupler with a stageable docking port Jr and the lower stage is 8+2 again.  Forgot I messed with the design again. :)

vQwBwQr.png

Thanks, but I really want my own design to go to Laythe as well. Looks awesome though! I should be able to get mine up with 2-4 launches. It has a Mk.1 cockpit for command, as well as a Mk.1 crew cabin that can hold 2 passengers. It's powered by 2 RAPIERs for in-atmosphere flight and relatively high thrust requiring burns. An LV-N is used for vacuum flight. It has 2 docking ports, one of which is a Jr. inside a service bay, for small cargo. It is capable of Laythe orbit => Laythe descent => Laythe landing => Surface activities => Laythe takeoff => Laythe ascent => Laythe orbit => Rendezvous with mothership on full fuel without refueling, or Kerbin takeoff => Kerbin ascent => Kerbin orbit => Rendezvous with mothership on full fuel without refueling, for the initial launch if it was going up in one piece. It's called the Peregrine Falcon.

Hey.  I'm new here on the forums, but I've been playing KSP for a while now.  I figured I would use this thread to start my forum experience.  Could someone give me a summary on what is going on with this station and the procedure for adding new modules?

2 hours ago, CheckYoStaging said:

Hey.  I'm new here on the forums, but I've been playing KSP for a while now.  I figured I would use this thread to start my forum experience.  Could someone give me a summary on what is going on with this station and the procedure for adding new modules?

Welcome to the forum! Indeed a friendly thread to start :)

The challenge has 2 options right now:
Option 1: Design a module for the space station with maximum of 5 parts, plus 2 docking ports. Basically you can design anything that would be appropriate on a space station and hook it up. 
I suggest you start with that, while keeping up to date with this thread. Because we are also building...

Option 2: Design part of a Jool ship, in orbit, at the space station. Maximum of 8 parts + 2 docking ports.
A bit trickier since you would need to know what has or has not been built yet.

If you are really in doubt, bringing up various kinds of fuel is always welcome :)

I suggest starting with reading the first post if you have not yet, and always wise to read some of the history of the thread. Dont have to read everything, but just browse around a bit.

When you want to start, download the savefile and do testflights before you "officially" take the save, that keeps the save available longer for other people's missions. And when ready check if nobody is doing the challenge before you download and start your mission, and post something like "Launching my mission!" in this thread if its free.

Good luck! And if you have more questions, feel free to ask :)

p.s. @Jetski: Feel free to correct me where necessary :wink:

Edited by MarkoeZ
edits!! :P

I have the save, and I'm adding an aerocapture module for the Jool ship. After aerocapture is done, it can detach and be an atmospheric descent probe. Total parts 8 + 1 docking port Sr.

Edited by QuesoExplosivo
Derp.

8 minutes ago, QuesoExplosivo said:

I have the save, and I'm adding an aerocapture module for the Jool ship. After aerocapture is done, it can detach and be an atmospheric descent probe. Total parts 8 + 1 docking port Sr.

Sooo... Which of us had it first?

13 minutes ago, QuesoExplosivo said:

Oops, didn't see. As long as there's an open Docking Port Sr., I should be fine. KAL 9000 can go first.

Ok, thanks :)! The first section (of maybe 3 or 4, it's a big SSTO (but reliable and awesome)) will be launched as soon as KSP loads. Here are some screenshots of it in the SPH with Kronal Vessel Viewer:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.