Empty seats warning

I am sure everyone has at least once made a vessel for a tourist mission and forgot to put the tourists in. A simple solution to this would be just a popup window that would show up if you tried to exit with empty seats like: "Your vessel hase some empty seats. Do you want to fill them or proceed to launch"

Many also had a rescue mission where the pod was already taken up. Maybe a separate screen should be added in carreer, where you assign kerbals to their seats after you click launch. Something like the option to add Kerbals in the build menu. (And make this toggleable in the options menu, as I would find it bloody irritating)

Edited by Coeus

Would love to see a solution like that in the stock game.

In the meantime (please pardon the shameless plug for my own mod), you might find this useful:

Available for KSP 1.0.5 or 1.1.

Among other things, it remembers what you've assigned (including "I chose to leave this seat empty") when you save your vehicle in the editor, so the  next time you load that ship, it'll automatically keep the same arrangement.

By default it leaves crew cabins empty and never assigns tourists automatically, but it's designed to be customizable and you can easily tweak its behavior by adding a snippet of ModuleManager config.

My own reason for writing the mod in the first place, though, was precisely the problem that @Coeus points out:  launching a rescue ship, going through all the rigamarole of rendezvous, the stranded kerbal finally grabs on to the pod's ladder, hit "B", and... "Cannot board a full module."  AAAAARGH!  I've lost count of how many times that happened to me, finally I got sick of it and wrote this mod.  :)  Now my rescue ships always launch empty, automatically because they're set that way.

15 hours ago, gasper002 said:

I am sure everyone has at least once made a vessel for a tourist mission and forgot to put the tourists in. A simple solution to this would be just a popup window that would show up if you tried to exit with empty seats like: "Your vessel has some empty seats. Do you want to fill them or proceed to launch"

That would create a pop-up before almost every mission..... Food to try to kill your computer with your keyboard..

Have you ever forgotten to set up your action groups?  There should be a pop-up .....

NO :huh:  

Do it right or crash and burn.

Edited by Knaapie

1 hour ago, Knaapie said:

That would create a pop-up before almost every mission..... Food to try to kill your computer with your keyboard..

Have you ever forgotten to set up your action groups?  There should be a pop-up .....

NO :huh:  

Do it right or crash and burn.

Forgetting to place tourists isn't going to result in a "crash and burn", just a whole lot of wasted time that could potentially put a player off of playing KSP.

Also, every mission? The only missions I can see being affected are tourists and rescue contracts. Do you have a habit of sticking empty pods on every ship for some reason?

I can't see any reason this shouldn't at least be an option in the game menu settings, with a check box next to it saying: "Warn me if I have empty seats on my vessel." That way we please everyone, those who like being prompted and those who don't.

that's all too specific.. I get the frustration.

In general there seems to be a need to check more craft requirements before launch. The "engineers report" was meant to do this and it has been a nice added feature, but we want more.. We would probably not be happy after the added tourists requirement, we also want to see if our craft needs docking ports a science module or whatever your mission tells you to bring along.

I am opposed to creating pop-ups, because too many would be needed, and the way it is suggested, this pop-up would pop every time you have a tourist mission active and a empty seat on your lander/station or rescue vessel. This would create a lot more topics from frustrated players on this forum ;)  

But perhaps we could look at the bigger picture.. like: We are building crafts for specific missions.. so.. what if we could select the mission we are building for and check if all mission requirements are met while building. This could be in the "engineers report" or a new button: "mission checklist". Perhaps be able to select multiple missions for one craft.

Only now, after you have purposely selected your craft's requirements, you could potentially add a single pop-up when your checklist is not complete.

peace

Edited by Knaapie

If I understand your problem right.. it is ALREADY in the base game. Yes it is no popup. But there is already a place mentioning that you have emtpy crew slots.. So if you are on a rescue mission without that message.. You know there's a filled slot.. .. Bottom right of the screen the small "popup" .. It also tells you if there are other problems.. Like missing parachutes and stuff

mzTB1Fz.jpg

Edited by Leeman

1 hour ago, Leeman said:

If I understand your problem right.. it is ALREADY in the base game. Yes it is no popup. But there is already a place mentioning that you have emtpy crew slots.. So if you are on a rescue mission without that message.. You know there's a filled slot.. .. Bottom right of the screen the small "popup" .. It also tells you if there are other problems.. Like missing parachutes and stuff

saw that too. it partially solves it. In a multi seat pod the message goes away when one seat is occupied. Could be misleading for some missions.

12 hours ago, Knaapie said:

Not to sound like a broken record, but there's help for action groups, too (if you like to always put the same parts in the same action groups, e.g. "I always toggle solar panels with Custom1" or whatever):

;)

Just now, Snark said:

Not to sound like a broken record, but there's help for action groups, too (if you like to always put the same parts in the same action groups, e.g. "I always toggle solar panels with Custom1" or whatever):

;)

lol, that's kinda cute. I have some standard action group commands, i might give it a try ;) 

19 minutes ago, Knaapie said:

saw that too. it partially solves it. In a multi seat pod the message goes away when one seat is occupied. Could be misleading for some missions.

Okay. Haven't unlocked the multi seats yet. Then I can understand the need for something like this^^

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.