Optimizing my game while I wait for 1.1 to release

I have 49 mods loaded in my game, and I have a tendency to make very large part-count vehicles (~110 parts, on average). My construction method means I have to revert back to the VAB or SPH frequently, to add overlooked parts or to correct deficiencies in the design. As a result, while I'm building a new vehicle, my game crashes rather frequently. Once I'm in space and actually doing stuff, it isn't so much of a problem, and the game can run for hours, at least, until I try to go to the Space Center. Sometimes (but not always) it crashes then, too.

What sort of things can I do to reduce the number of crashes to a minimum (I don't think they're going away unless I ditch a load of mods)? I've eliminated some of the mods I suspect of making things difficult (environmental visual enhancers, scatterer, etc.) but I'm not sure which ones create the biggest burden for my computer.

The mods I am currently using are:

KSP: 1.0.5 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 8.1  (6.3.10586) 64bit
USI Tools - 0.7
Ambient Light Adjustment - 1.5.4.2
AutoAsparagus - 2.0
AutomatedScreenshots - 0.7
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40.1
B9 Aerospace - 6.0.1
Chatterer - 0.9.7.86
Community Resource Pack - 0.5
CraftImport - 0.8.2
CryoEngines - 0.2.1
Docking Sounds - 1.2
Dynamic Deflection - 1.2
Engine Lighting - 1.4.1
EVA Enhancements - 1.1.1
Firespitter - 7.1.5
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 1.18
RasterPropMonitor - 0.24.2
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.5
KerbalAtomics - 0.1.1
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.4
Kerbal Konstructs - 0.9.5.2
HyperEdit - 1.4.2
InlineBallutes - 1.2.3
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.6
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5
Lithobrake Exploration Technologies - 0.3.1
Mach Gauge - 3.0
Infernal Robots - 0.21.4
Modular Rocket Systems Lite - 1.12.2
Procedural Parts - 1.1.11
RealChute - 1.3.2.7
SafeChute - 1.8
Ship Manifest - 5.0.1
SmartStage - 2.8
SpaceY Expanded - 1.1.5
SpaceY Lifters - 1.11.2
TakeCommand - 1.3
TextureReplacer - 2.4.12
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.0.1
TotalTime - 0.5
Trajectories - 1.4.6
Alternate Resource Panel - 2.7.4
TweakScale - 2.2.6
USI Survivability Pack - 0.3.3
USI Submarine Pack - 0.0.3
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.7.4
WildBlueTools - 1.0.33
Buffalo - 0.2.7
Pathfinder - 0.9.11

I'd like to eliminate any which unduly burden my system (and any that may have been included because I unthinkingly clicked on one that sounded like something I need, but maybe don't ;) ), but I plan on loading them back in once 1.1 is in full (not beta) release, except for mods which are rendered obsolete by the new version, and any which turn out not to be necessary unless I'm a developer (I'm not). 

Your assistance in this effort is highly appreciated.

Mods which add parts and textures and therefore all the 3d structure and graphics images detail are usually the ones that need most memory.  Those with sound files/effects can be pretty needy too, so Chatterer is suspect.  In contrast procedural/information mods like Hyperedit don't have much demand except for a bit of processing power at specific times.  That can cause laggy performance but won't crash out of memory.

Hi,

I did not see Active Texture Manager in your list of mods, this, for me, helped a lot with crashes of the game, but when you first load it up it will take a very long time(only the first start-up after adding the mod.

And also, maybe try using the OpenGL Mode for KSP, that fixed similar crashed and problems for me in my 32-bit KSP. I created a shortcut like explained in the topic below and it helped a lot. I hope this will no longer be an issue with 1.1 but until then It is a good solution and works for most people with a heavily modded KSP. Hope this helps.

6 minutes ago, YTNewneo said:

Hi,

I did not see Active Texture Manager in your list of mods, this, for me, helped a lot with crashes of the game, but when you first load it up it will take a very long time(only the first start-up after adding the mod.

And also, maybe try using the OpenGL Mode for KSP, that fixed similar crashed and problems for me in my 32-bit KSP. I created a shortcut like explained in the topic below and it helped a lot. I hope this will no longer be an issue with 1.1 but until then It is a good solution and works for most people with a heavily modded KSP. Hope this helps.

1. Use DTL, not ATM. Goto the ATM thread and in @rbray89's sig is DTL.

2. OpenGL doesn't work for everyone. Also try DirectX 11 by following the instructions for OpenGL but putting -force-d3d11 instead of -force-opengl.

On 4/10/2016 at 5:33 PM, SSgt Baloo said:

I have 49 mods loaded in my game, and I have a tendency to make very large part-count vehicles (~110 parts, on average). My construction method means I have to revert back to the VAB or SPH frequently, to add overlooked parts or to correct deficiencies in the design. As a result, while I'm building a new vehicle, my game crashes rather frequently. Once I'm in space and actually doing stuff, it isn't so much of a problem, and the game can run for hours, at least, until I try to go to the Space Center. Sometimes (but not always) it crashes then, too.

What sort of things can I do to reduce the number of crashes to a minimum (I don't think they're going away unless I ditch a load of mods)? I've eliminated some of the mods I suspect of making things difficult (environmental visual enhancers, scatterer, etc.) but I'm not sure which ones create the biggest burden for my computer.

The mods I am currently using are:

KSP: 1.0.5 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 8.1  (6.3.10586) 64bit
USI Tools - 0.7
Ambient Light Adjustment - 1.5.4.2
AutoAsparagus - 2.0
AutomatedScreenshots - 0.7
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40.1
B9 Aerospace - 6.0.1
Chatterer - 0.9.7.86
Community Resource Pack - 0.5
CraftImport - 0.8.2
CryoEngines - 0.2.1
Docking Sounds - 1.2
Dynamic Deflection - 1.2
Engine Lighting - 1.4.1
EVA Enhancements - 1.1.1
Firespitter - 7.1.5
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 1.18
RasterPropMonitor - 0.24.2
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.5
KerbalAtomics - 0.1.1
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.4
Kerbal Konstructs - 0.9.5.2
HyperEdit - 1.4.2
InlineBallutes - 1.2.3
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.6
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5
Lithobrake Exploration Technologies - 0.3.1
Mach Gauge - 3.0
Infernal Robots - 0.21.4
Modular Rocket Systems Lite - 1.12.2
Procedural Parts - 1.1.11
RealChute - 1.3.2.7
SafeChute - 1.8
Ship Manifest - 5.0.1
SmartStage - 2.8
SpaceY Expanded - 1.1.5
SpaceY Lifters - 1.11.2
TakeCommand - 1.3
TextureReplacer - 2.4.12
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.0.1
TotalTime - 0.5
Trajectories - 1.4.6
Alternate Resource Panel - 2.7.4
TweakScale - 2.2.6
USI Survivability Pack - 0.3.3
USI Submarine Pack - 0.0.3
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.7.4
WildBlueTools - 1.0.33
Buffalo - 0.2.7
Pathfinder - 0.9.11

I'd like to eliminate any which unduly burden my system (and any that may have been included because I unthinkingly clicked on one that sounded like something I need, but maybe don't ;) ), but I plan on loading them back in once 1.1 is in full (not beta) release, except for mods which are rendered obsolete by the new version, and any which turn out not to be necessary unless I'm a developer (I'm not). 

Your assistance in this effort is highly appreciated.

How do you run that much mods? I don't have nearly as much and would hit the memory limit..When the game loads and in its main menu I have 3100Mb used by a game meaning I do not have much space left until 4GB by the time I load up my save and it is not that I do not have some mods on the wishlist but I cannot install them becouse they would make game unplayable so I have to wait for 1.1 and for my modlist to get updated for 1.1

I start with OpenGL, if that's any help. Small ships take a long time to crash the game. Bigger ones (much over 100 parts), I can only revert to the VAB or SPH about 2-4 times before it crashes, usually when I go to launch after  revising the ship I'm working on. I do like how KSP makes it easy to recover from a crash so you can pick up where you left off.

If you are crashing mostly because of scene changes, you could try QuickGoTo.
I guess there is a memory leak in 1.0.5 related to scene changes... The more scene changes you do, the more the leak adds up...

I have over 100 mods (mostly plugins), but also have mods that have added more than 300 unique parts... I have not had any crashes, other than things caused by mod bugs...

Malah's QuickGoTo allows you to switch between scenes directly, instead of having to go thru the Space Center every time... That means your scene changes can be practically halved, meaning you can play longer before the scene change memory leak gets so bad that it crashes your game...

Here's a link to this, and many other useful "modlets": Malah's Quick mods

@SSgt Baloo I see you have quite a few LARGE parts mods... It may be time to eliminate some, or at least start pruning unused parts...

Edited by Stone Blue

Suggest a specific one, and I'll see if I can put it on my "I can live without that" list.

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

@SSgt Baloo I see you have quite a few LARGE parts mods... It may be time to eliminate some, or at least start pruning unused parts...

I'll download QuickGoTo right away. As far as packages that contain parts are concerned, suggest a few specific ones, and I'll see if any of them can be shifted to my "I don't need this one" list.

And thanks!

37 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

Suggest a specific one, and I'll see if I can put it on my "I can live without that" list.

Well, I for one LOVE B9, but with memory restrictions (hopefully to disappear with 1.1), I have a separate KSP install geared around Kerbin atmospheric, and LKO SSTO flight... It has B9, and many of the Mk2/Mk3/MkIV parts mods... (Another reason why I have this separate install, geared for atmo, is my 9yr old son mainly likes aircraft in KSP, and thinks rockets are boring...lol)

Then I have my main install for more spaceflight specific activities...

Also, I see you have a lot of USI stuff... Maybe have separate installs for mainly USI stuff, and another for everything else?
Doesnt Pathfinder and USI MKS kind of overlap?... Also, maybe the same with Modular Rocket Parts & SpaceY?

8 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

Seperate install? What is that? I think you need to explain further.

Oh, since KSP is a bit different than "regular" software, you can have multiple instances of KSP "installed" at one time, independently & without interference between them.

I have 8 or 9 separate installs for Windows, and just as many for Linux...
I still have a working KSP v0.90 (with B9, KW Rocketry & NovaPunch), a couple still working 1.0.4 installs, and several 1.0.5 installs (both for Windows & Linux):
One is stock, that I use for testing mods one-by-one, another geared toward Kerbin atmo/SSTO gameplay, another with mostly stock-alike mods, and another that I mod with everything until it crashes... :)

Edited by Stone Blue

26 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Oh, since KSP is a bit different than "regular" software, you can have multiple instances of KSP "installed" at one time, independently & without interference between them.

I have 8 or 9 separate installs for Windows, and just as many for Linux...
I still have a working KSP v0.90 (with B9, KW Rocketry & NovaPunch), a couple still working 1.0.4 installs, and several 1.0.5 installs (both for Windows & Linux):
One is stock, that I use for testing mods one-by-one, another geared toward Kerbin atmo/SSTO gameplay, another with mostly stock-alike mods, and another that I mod with everything until it crashes... :)

So tell me. How is this done? Keep it simple. I would like to believe I'm a genius, but I fear that I'm really just an idiot with an impressive vocabulary. ;) 

26 minutes ago, SSgt Baloo said:

So tell me. How is this done? Keep it simple. I would like to believe I'm a genius, but I fear that I'm really just an idiot with an impressive vocabulary. ;) 

You simply copy the folder which contains the game installation to another location on your system.  You can name the folder anything you like.  You can run the executable (KSP.exe) directly from within that folder.

Each installation can have a completely different set of mods installed.

Hope this helps.

Happy landings!

Well, 1st, I'm not a Steam user: I bought the game directly from the Squad store, so hopefully a Steam user will chime in if there is anything different..

Basically, all you have to do is extract the KSP installer to different folders. Here's some of mine:

ie E:/KSP Windows v0.90 Aircraft/KSP_Win

E:/KSP Windows v1.0.5 Stock/KSP_Win

E:/KSP Windows v1.0.5 Mod Test/KSP_Win

E:/KSP Linux v1.0.5 Stock/KSP_linux

E:/KSP Linux v1.0.5 Modded/KSP_linux

I just create unique desktop shortcuts from each KSP.exe, to run which ever "install" I want at that time... (of course only the Windows ones will work in Windows; I boot to Linux when I want to play my Linux-based installs)

While probably not ideal, I found you can also pretty much copy over modded /GameData folders between the different "installs" (as long as they are the SAME KSP version), with little to no problems... Even between Windows & Linux installs...

Edited by Stone Blue

36 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Well, 1st, I'm not a Steam user: I bought the game directly from the Squad store, so hopefully a Steam user will chime in if there is anything different..

Basically, all you have to do is extract the KSP installer to different folders. Here's some of mine:

ie E:/KSP Windows v0.90 Aircraft/KSP_Win

E:/KSP Windows v1.0.5 Stock/KSP_Win

E:/KSP Windows v1.0.5 Mod Test/KSP_Win

E:/KSP Linux v1.0.5 Stock/KSP_linux

E:/KSP Linux v1.0.5 Modded/KSP_linux

I just create unique desktop shortcuts from each KSP.exe, to run which ever "install" I want at that time... (of course only the Windows ones will work in Windows; I boot to Linux when I want to play my Linux-based installs)

While probably not ideal, I found you can also pretty much copy over modded /GameData folders between the different "installs" (as long as they are the SAME KSP version), with little to no problems... Even between Windows & Linux installs...

The difference with steam is that it will not update a game copied to a different folder. This is a good thing if you have a moded game that an update will break.

5 minutes ago, N_Danger said:

The difference with steam is that it will not update a game copied to a different folder. This is a good thing if you have a moded game that an update will break.

Ahhh... So you could keep your Steam-"linked" install all stock, then copy over the /KSP_Win folder to a different folder(s), and mod/customize that/(those) folder(s)?.... Nice...

@SSgt Baloo I forgot to mention you could try forcing OpenGL or DirectX11 if you havent already... I have had better results forcing DX11 than OGL...Though both were definite improvements over stock (DirectX 9)...

Here's a link for that:

PS- This method is also used to force OpenGL. Just substitute " -d3d11 " with " -opengl "

EDIT: Ooopps... I just realised I skipped over the posts by YTNewneo & RA3236 discussing this...lol

Edited by Stone Blue

I usually run in OpenGL mode. I did try forcing Directx11, but then noted the memory load (~2.3G). I checked, using the direct >E> file without modification, and wound up using about 2.4G. OpenGL mode gets me down to ~1,825G. I've eliminated a few parts packs that I don't need, and will go back and be more ruthless about kicking parts packs to the curb if this doesn't buy me enough time between crashes. It won't feel the same without chatterer, though. :(

@SSgt Baloo Also, in case you didnt know, in pruning parts, with most mods, you can delete just specific parts from the mod, without having to remove the whole mod. You just have to be careful with parts that share models or textures, or parts that are hard-coded into .dll files.

As an example, while I really like the whole AEIS mod, sometimes I'll use SpaceY instead, and delete everything from the AEIS mod EXCEPT the antenna parts...

19 hours ago, RA3236 said:

1. Use DTL, not ATM. Goto the ATM thread and in @rbray89's sig is DTL.

2. OpenGL doesn't work for everyone. Also try DirectX 11 by following the instructions for OpenGL but putting -force-d3d11 instead of -force-opengl.

Tried last night DTL. It is great it saved hundreds of MB. Just enoguh to put in some mods that I wanted to try and use maybe heavily.

On 4/12/2016 at 4:31 AM, YTNewneo said:

I've been using Dynamic Texture Loader, as I was under the impression that ATM is not compatible with 1.05.

18 hours ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I've been using Dynamic Texture Loader, as I was under the impression that ATM is not compatible with 1.05.

Oh I did not realize this, maybe that is the reason I had a minor graphics glitch in my KSP-Version one time. 

An easy way to reduce the memory clutter is by resizing DDS files or converting the last few mbm files that are out there.

DDS4KSP does this job for example, you should exclude all icons, this can be done by setting minimum size for misc. to 64x64

there's also other options to resize those files or convert the mbm files (they tend to be very big)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.