My Mun Station I

Hello! :)

I\'ve been playing KSP for a week now, and I feel this is my first real achievement.

With (almost) only stock parts, I made a Mun station for the little buggers! :D (Only non-stock part is in fact the engine. Couldn\'t manage to get that thing into space otherwise.)

Landing took me some attempts, but mostly due to buggy behaviour in the time controls (Yes, I\'m impatient.)

Aaand it would\'ve definitely helped if I\'d found that Quicksave/-load feature sooner. So many unnecessary starts, geez.

But anyways, here\'s some pictures:

vXkSF.jpg?1 Taking off of Kerbin

VWOA4.jpg?1 Approaching Mun

OEZ7Z.jpg?1 Landing

2NTqm.jpg?1 And, finally, it\'s landed. While the landing struts are out, it moves around a bit, but it looks better that way.

So yeah.. I\'ve tried to put more walls on it, but it got too heavy and wobbly. Looking forward to the removal of colliding clipped parts in 0.16, should be easier that way. :)

Gonna try a 4-walled one now, that\'s hopefully a little easier.

Please post what you think and especially ideas regarding filling out the gaps! It\'s hard \'cause you can always only attach one side of a wall (a.k.a. wing) to another and have to support the rest with struts, hoping nothing does clip.. any ideas here?

PS: Also, first post! :D Absolutely adored the game from second 1, bought it after playing the demo for half an hour. It has -incredibly- much potentional imho. So, hello everyone, you\'ll probably see me around sometimes. ???

~

Greetings,

Fourtytwoish

Looks simply amazing! :o

I wanted to do a base thing for quite a while, but apart landing a few vessels in one place and somehow managing to get huge garages into space, I would have never thought of making a small habitable building. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks a lot, everyone! :)

And you\'re all welcome, but you\'ve given me even more ideas! :D

Tent? - Wait until EVAs arrive. Jebediah and friends will have campfires around their base in no time.

Garage? - Hell YES.

Took me a shitload of time to drive that thing about 1°30\' across the Mun. Damn tires kept sinking into the ground and the whole thing exploded.

(I actually wanted to fill that garage, but.. meh. Savegames will soon be wasted anyways.)

Btw, do you agree with me that landing on the Mun and then actually driving a rover across the surface is the most satisfying game experience you\'ve had for a looong time? It just felt so awesome ??? Incredible game.

BTT, pics:

wK4ef.png Approaching the darn thing after dying horribly many, many times.

KLpZR.jpg Parked. 8)

And to Tim_Barret: What have you done?

Low gravity skatepark tent-hopping will be my addiction for the next days. :D

3ZIzc.png Love the sunrays on this one :)

88NFW.png I actually managed to get into orbit a few times by accident.

~

Greetings,

Fourtytwoish

I\'m actually a purist and not big on modding. But it always seemed that no matter how carefully I piloted, I always ended up just on the wrong side of the hill for the view I wanted, so I finally broke down and got the HSTW cart (I think it\'s called) so I can go sight-seeing. My vehicles are just that cart with a few dummy pieces stuck on top to make it look like a car. :D The cart is really well-made, handles beautifully, and is surprisingly hard to tip over.

Oh, dang it. That second screenshot was supposed to be this one:

Base no. 2, you may look at my first post if curious:

Anyways, tried another Mun Station and managed to park it ~300m next to my other station. Looks somewhat good, still like the other one better though :(

When using 4 'walls', the weight limit for the engines and fuel tanks is reached pretty quickly.

Btw, does anyone know if there is a trick to place stuff onto landing struts? I\'ve tried to make some kind of ramp that can be pulled up & down. :D

Pics:

ojLLH.jpg Woo! Woo! The Wobblytrain takes off of Kerbin (Seriously, this wobbled so hard.)

d0Y9W.png Space! I\'m in Space!

W5fCZ.png Landed. 12 RCS were necessary to MAINTAIN this beast\'s vertical speed on mun ??? In the background there\'s my Mun Station I and the rover :3

EDIT: Oooookay. After posting the above one, I thought to myself '... could I park another Mun Station on top of it? Should look kinda cool.'

..Or could I build one?

I could :D My next task is flying this insane lagmonster to the Mun and land it before my computer implodes.

4oXT4.jpg

Wish me luck!

EDIT 2: I managed to pull it off!!! ??? It was really quite annoying, \'cause when the game had to load all 3 bases at once, my frames dropped as much as my rage increased. Performance improvements needed so desperately! ;_;

Q75bD.png Base no. 3! You can watch it only at 5x time acceleration, because I think it stops calculating inner-ship physics from then ..?

s0lp6.png And there\'s all three of my bases :D I\'d love to drive around there with the rover which is hidden behind the right base, but it just lags far too much ID

What I would really, REALLY appreciate would be the ability to simply turn off physics on landed ships. You could kinda dig into the ground and then be an immobile object. Would make things so much easier!

Anyways, here\'s the link for the .craft files (Sadly, I never saved the first Mun station :( ) and the persistent .sfs file:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-4536428/Fourtytwoish-s-KSP_win.zip.html

Just unzip and copy the content into your KSP_win folder, but be sure (!) to save your .sfs file first, or you\'ll lose all of your progress.

So, I\'m gonna force myself to take a break from KSP now, need to study :-X

~

Greetings,

Fourtytwoish

These bases are awesome ??? I tried to build similar but i have problems. If you\'ll be so nice to send base files to rapidshare or somethink like that I\'ll be very thankful :) And engine mod file :) Thanks in advance. :D

These bases are awesome ??? I tried to build similar but i have problems. If you\'ll be so nice to send base files to rapidshare or somethink like that I\'ll be very thankful :) And engine mod file :) Thanks in advance. :D

You\'ll find the link above. You\'re very welcome, and your English is fine :D

Heres my little Mun base so far; It has a Tri-home building and 2 rovers, one for picking stuff up and one for blowing stuff up xD

IcusMunBase.png

In my mind, each pod houses 3 Kerbals. total of 9, 3 stay in the building, and 3 on each rover :P Next i\'m going to try and get some storage like buildings landed.

REALLY appreciate would be the ability to simply turn off physics on landed ships. You could kinda dig into the ground
If the lowermost parts on your ship are not too explodey (engines and fuel tanks I think are the most volatile), you can retract the struts after you land and just let it sit on the ground. Then it doesn\'t wiggle around or stroll downhill.

• 2 weeks later...

That mun station is awesome, how did I not think of something like that? I\'m going to try this out XD

EDIT: Well I did it myself XD

I made my own special base too, it\'s one of many and it took surprisingly very very little fuel when I decided to only have 2 stages and fly 'economic' XD

screenshot25p.png

screenshot26ae.png

screenshot27z.png

screenshot28h.png

screenshot30s.png

EDIT2: Alright I\'m starting to have a bit of fun, might make a small city on the Mun XD

screenshot54e.png

screenshot57p.png

screenshot58k.png

screenshot59q.png

screenshot60.png

screenshot61a.png

That mun station is awesome, how did I not think of something like that? I\'m going to try this out XD

EDIT: Well I did it myself XD

I made my own special base too, it\'s one of many and it took surprisingly very very little fuel when I decided to only have 2 stages and fly 'economic' XD

screenshot25p.png

screenshot26ae.png

screenshot27z.png

screenshot28h.png

screenshot30s.png

EDIT2: Alright I\'m starting to have a bit of fun, might make a small city on the Mun XD

screenshot54e.png

screenshot57p.png

screenshot58k.png

screenshot59q.png

screenshot60.png

screenshot61a.png

wow that\'s so cool is there anything inside the buildings

Hilde those are awesome... I love the 'strut fence' omg I love where this game is headed

Lol thanks ^^

I had a lot of fun making them but I added the third and well... I have a pretty damn high end system right now and it got 1fps XD

screenshot74t.png

screenshot75n.png

screenshot77w.png

screenshot80k.png

screenshot81bl.png

screenshot86.png

Well moving it away an extra 500m brings my framerate back up to normal levels but I really wanted a little city XD

I\'m sending some new ones to Minmus now, one of them is going to be a pyramid of sorts :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.