KIS/KAS for 1.1 alpha testing

IgorZ

6 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

I was mistaking it for the Grappling Hook.  New problem: I cannot grab the Grappling Hook when attached to a Winch.  Previously, I grabbed the Grappling Hook, and it was attached to the Kerbal's back.  Now, I get a message that says I can't grab it.  I have the same problem with the Anchor; I cannot grab it either if attached to a Winch.

ThzKd5h.png

If I'm doing something wrong, then tell me the correct method.

I dont know how to take screenies on ksp sorry. the thing is I was testign what Apollo13 said I found out, if you detach and reattach a HG-02 grappling hook it ends up upside down. Looks like a bug to me.

1. In editor place a mk2 lander, place a winch on the side.

2. Add a grappling hook to the winch.

3. Launch, go on eva.

4. Detach the grapling hook by holding G key and drop it to inventory

5. Attach the grapling hook to the winch.

What I'm trying to accomplish:

In the image, I wish to grasp the Grappling Hook (attached to a Winch), upon which it is seen on the Kerbal's back.  I then wish to carry the Grappling Hook to another part/vessel (with the line attached) l, and attach it to that Vessel.  I believe that was the procedure I used in previous versions.

If I am remembering incorrectly, then:

1) How does one use the Grappling Hook when it is attached to a Winch?

2) How does one use the Anchor when it is attached to a Winch?

Elkram:   To take a screenshot, use the F1 function key.  You'll find the screenshot in the Screenshots folder in your main KSP folder.

Edited by Apollo13

14 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I like the change. Except, may be, description of the EVA tank. It used to be providing useful info on the usage. Now it's not.

Okay, I updated it with KAS parts as well and I fixed the EVA tank description. Some tweaks may be needed to the KAS part descriptions, but otherwise it should be up and running. Download here.

Also, I figured out why the search isn't working. Custom part categories are broken for now, so anything in the KIS category can't be picked up by search. They'll have to be moved to the utility tab so they can be searched. 

I was testing the harpoon on a rescue contract to see the force required to disconnect it, but it seems that it won't even attach.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong,

i align the harpoon to target vessel

click eject on winch

harpoon makes contact but just bounces off of part.

edit: further testing reveals that when harpoon makes contact, an error message gets spammed

KAS warning! ActiveVessel is landed and HeightFromTerrain are negative (-1)

I do have other mods installed, like mechjeb, KER, remote tech

edit 2: this also happens when i retract the harpoon into the winch.

craft: http://pastebin.com/d2n9KaLc

i only use the second to last stage to test the harpoon on an orbiting part.

ksp log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-r5F0jpZkfQa0dlVFZqWk1YRUU

Edited by Poofer

8 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

What I'm trying to accomplish:

In the image, I wish to grasp the Grappling Hook (attached to a Winch), upon which it is seen on the Kerbal's back.  I then wish to carry the Grappling Hook to another part/vessel (with the line attached) l, and attach it to that Vessel.  I believe that was the procedure I used in previous versions.

If I am remembering incorrectly, then:

1) How does one use the Grappling Hook when it is attached to a Winch?

2) How does one use the Anchor when it is attached to a Winch?

What you are trying to accomplish hasn't been possible since KIS was released. 

1) I never really used the grappling hook much so I can't really answer that one. 

2) I used the anchor by setting the winch release function to an action group and just letting it drop to the ground or sea floor. 

@IgorZ Thanks for adding my part descriptions to the mod! However, that is using the old version of my part descriptions, with the EVA canister description that doesn't really describe the part well. This patch includes fixes as well as search tags and description/name updates for the KAS parts. I haven't tested in game yet, but if the part category is still there then search will not pick it up.

19 hours ago, Poofer said:

I was testing the harpoon on a rescue contract to see the force required to disconnect it, but it seems that it won't even attach.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong,

i align the harpoon to target vessel

click eject on winch

harpoon makes contact but just bounces off of part.

edit: further testing reveals that when harpoon makes contact, an error message gets spammed

KAS warning! ActiveVessel is landed and HeightFromTerrain are negative (-1)

I do have other mods installed, like mechjeb, KER, remote tech

edit 2: this also happens when i retract the harpoon into the winch.

craft: http://pastebin.com/d2n9KaLc

i only use the second to last stage to test the harpoon on an orbiting part.

ksp log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-r5F0jpZkfQa0dlVFZqWk1YRUU

Could you please also add some screenshots to illustrate what are you doing? Also, try removing all mods but KIS/KAS. Even with stable versions there are cross-mod issues, and for 1.1 any mod is pre-release (i.e. unstable).

@Bombaatu The issue with part replication actually consist of two different issues:

1. Replication of dragged part when attaching from inventory to a radial connector. If the part is picked up from the ground or detached from the other part the problem doesn't show up. Looks like an issue with part initialization code. This behavior can be reproduced on 1.2.6, i.e. it's not 1.1 specific bug.
  2. When radial connectors were added in symmetry mode a part being attached to one connector is tried to be duplicated on the symmetry part (and then they both get hit by issue #1). This bug is new to 1.1.

ugorz: I just noticed (literally 1 minute ago), that KIS has left-click drag-and-drop of items into the inventory.  Well done!!!  So much easier/intuitive than alt/right-click-drag

Edited by Apollo13

1 hour ago, Apollo13 said:

ugorz: I just noticed (literally 1 minute ago), that KIS has left-click drag-and-drop of items into the inventory.  Well done!!!  So much easier/intuitive than alt/right-click-grag

You're welcome! Btw, did you "notice" it in the release notes or in the game? :)

New versions available.

• KIS: 2016-04-12 Alpha 3:
    • [Enhancement] Improved search tags and descriptions in parts. From @Billy_Is_Dead
    • [Fix] Parts got replicated and attachment didn't work when surface attaching parts onto radial adapter.
  • KAS: 2016-04-10 Alpha 3
    • [Enhancement] Improved search tags and descriptions in parts. From @Billy_Is_Dead
    • [Change] Increase hooks break strength with respect to Unity 5 physics change.

21 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Could you please also add some screenshots to illustrate what are you doing? Also, try removing all mods but KIS/KAS. Even with stable versions there are cross-mod issues, and for 1.1 any mod is pre-release (i.e. unstable).

@Bombaatu The issue with part replication actually consist of two different issues:

1. Replication of dragged part when attaching from inventory to a radial connector. If the part is picked up from the ground or detached from the other part the problem doesn't show up. Looks like an issue with part initialization code. This behavior can be reproduced on 1.2.6, i.e. it's not 1.1 specific bug.
  2. When radial connectors were added in symmetry mode a part being attached to one connector is tried to be duplicated on the symmetry part (and then they both get hit by issue #1). This bug is new to 1.1.

I removed most mods, only kis/kas  and hyperedit to speed things up.

Couldn't reproduce the negative error but the harpoon does keep refusing to stick. It is giving me some warnings in the debug menu.

This could simply be the known error of harpoon being really weak, but since there's not supposed to be any force pulling the harpoon away from the target...

edit 2: also, didn't notice new release, will test with now.

edit 3: i tested with latest release, harpoon still refuses to attach.

Edited by Poofer

12 hours ago, IgorZ said:

New versions available.

• KIS: 2016-04-12 Alpha 3:
    • [Fix] Parts got replicated and attachment didn't work when surface attaching parts onto radial adapter.
  • KAS: 2016-04-10 Alpha 3
    • [Change] Increase hooks break strength with respect to Unity 5 physics change.

Thanks for adding my stuff! I messaged you with capitalization fixes and the screwdriver fix.

Edited by Billy_Is_Dead

@IgorZ  

Ok, this is an observation. Still couldn't get harpoons to work until I opened the debug menu and changed the "above dist" from -.05 to .18  Hopefully, this information helps in your conversion efforts. Actually, anything above .18 works, but looks very odd.

Edited by toril
tag

1 hour ago, toril said:

Ok, this is an observation. Still couldn't get harpoons to work until I opened the debug menu and changed the "above dist" from -.05 to .18  Hopefully, this information helps in your conversion efforts. Actually, anything above .18 works, but looks very odd.

how do you modify the configs in real time from in-game? i can bring up the parts in the stock debug menu but not like your screenie.

Just now, Poofer said:

how do you modify the configs in real time from in-game? i can bring up the parts in the stock debug menu but not like your screenie.

ctr k for the debug menu then crtl left click on the part you want to modify

7 minutes ago, Poofer said:

i changed the value to .18 and the harpoon does indeed attach now. It's still a bit weak and can't handle a load changing direction.

well I don't think its supposed to be super strong.

1209 broke KIS. KAS is still working. relevant error;

[ERR 22:09:25.709] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KIS': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KIS.ModuleKISInventory' from assembly 'KIS, Version=1.2.7.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<>c__DisplayClass6' from assembly 'KIS, Version=1.2.7.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<>c__DisplayClassa' from assembly 'KIS, Version=1.2.7.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<WaitAndTransferItems>d__d' from assembly 'KIS, Version=1.2.7.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<WaitAndDoAction>d__12' from assembly 'KIS, Version=1.2.7.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

and from data;

AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'KIS': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'KIS.ModuleKISInventory' from assembly 'KIS, Version=1.2.7.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<>c__DisplayClass6' from assembly 'KIS, Version=1.2.7.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<>c__DisplayClassa' from assembly 'KIS, Version=1.2.7.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<WaitAndTransferItems>d__d' from assembly 'KIS, Version=1.2.7.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type '<WaitAndDoAction>d__12' from assembly 'KIS, Version=1.2.7.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Well...KIS/KAS no longer working for me.  I'm using KSP 1.1.1209.

I installed Build 3.  Now, when I go to the VAB, the command pods no longer have inventory.  My active Kerbals in space and elsewhere, who used to have inventories...nada.  Especially critical given that I use RoverDude's USILifeSupport, and I have Kerbals who are starving and no longer working (yeah, I'll remove that mod until this issue is resolved).

I re-installed Build 2 of KIS and KAS, and I created a new sandbox game with ONLY: Squad, KIS, KAS mods.  Nothing else.  Same result, no inventory in VAB or for Kerbals.

Here's a link to my ksp.log file==>  ksp.log

I'm not worried.  I figure Igorz will grab this problem and run with it.  KSP is pre-release after all.  We expect crashes, mods not working, hiccups.  All part of the process.

Edited by Apollo13