KIS/KAS for 1.1 alpha testing

IgorZ

6 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Or you're not hitting "H" when you put it on the ground for surface attach. :wink: 

I use the H-key to attach pylons to the ground.  I get the explody fun.

Igorz: here's what sal_vager said in response to the bug report on bug tracker: 

CollisionEnhancer just improves collision detection and prevents punchthrough, it doesn't explode landed parts, KAS probably needs tweaking to avoid punchthrough, as things that hit hard enough or deliberately put themselves into the ground are going to explode due to collision

Edited by Apollo13

As for the problem I mentioned earlier, it seemed to fix itself, and I couldn't reproduce it. The problem seemed to happen again with an Ore drill, which then fixed itself again. I haven't encountered it since.

@IgorZ  the harpoon seems to be working correctly now simply releasing it won't trigger an attachment you need to eject to get enough force.  Only thing is, it doesn't seem to take any electric charge anymore. The winch that is.

Edited by toril

18 minutes ago, toril said:

@IgorZ  the harpoon seems to be working correctly now simply releasing it won't trigger an attachment you need to eject to get enough force.  Only thing is, it doesn't seem to take any electric charge anymore. The winch that is.

Could you please give more details on winch not taking electric charge? Did you check it on a vessel with no electric generation?

7 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

Igorz: here's what sal_vager said in response to the bug report on bug tracker:

Yeah, what devs say fits the observation. KIS puts pylons so what that it triggers punchthrough mechanism. Same happens in 1.0.5 but old physics dones't pay much attention to the error. In new Unity the part is pulled out of the ground with some acceleration. If it's too strong then CollisionEnhancer blows up the part. I attempted to workaround it by making pylon kinematic since kinematic parts are not affected by physics but it doesn't help for some reason. I'm still looking for a way to fix the root cause but so far no luck.

My latest idea is that attachment points are wrong for the parts, and it results in calculation of wrong position when attaching to the ground. This theory needs to be verified, though.

After spending hours testing a mysterious joint breaking on static parts I have to state something. People, do not test ground parts (like pylons or concrete bases) on the launchpads! The launchpads have a really insane setup of colliders. Depending on which one has interacted with the part the behavior may differ significantly. As for now I'm trying to figure out the pattern and exclude unimportant colliders.

In the original KIS a new part pulled out of inventory is created at a default layer 0 (zero), and it interacts (e.g. collides) with all the layers. Apparently, it's a bad idea in 1.1. I tend to think that tricky setups are unique to VAB/SPH launchpads but who knows.

If you find a bug on an outer planet (or moon) please send me a save file as well. And, please, ensure it doesn't require extra mods :)

4 hours ago, adjudantloic said:

BUG REPORT

!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_A2B3cvAwk  !

Now I do not have this bug!

I didn't even have KIS/KAS pre-release versions installed yesterday and i was experiencing this same bug with apply/accept buttons in KSP Settings. I tried to reproduce this bug today but somehow i couldn't. In my case KIS/KAS pre-release had nothing to do with this bug and this could be KSP 1.1 bug in general. Who knows? Need to check though if theres already report in 1.1 Pre-release bug tracker and if not then we need to try reproduce it with stock game and make report.

@adjudantloic I'm curious can you reproduce this bug with stock KSP 1.1 pre-release or what mods you were using while this bug happened? :)

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/projects/prerelease/issues

Edited by Murdox

My Pylon explosions happen on Mun and Minmus.  never tried the launchpad.  I'll try to replicate the problem; been unsuccessful thus far.

That said, KSP may have a bigger problem with surfaces.  Landing Legs explode.  Although supposedly correct in the next version #1228, I'll wait-and-see.  Recently, I had a vessel on Mun.  Landed fine on LT-1 legs.  Switched to another local vessel.  In the distance, I heard and saw the first vessel explode.  Upon switch to it, there were pieces above the ground, locked in place, i.e., not dropped to the surface.  I caught a glimpse of the vessel, legs intact, below the surface; I was able to screen capture that.

On other landed vessels, the legs exploded, sending the vessel skyward.

Bottom line: this may not be a KAS issue.

EDIT:  LT-1 Landing struts still explode in # 1228, even when just sitting on the surface undisturbed.

C5wqYdA.jpg

Edited by Apollo13

I seem to have found an issue when trying to attach stuff to the stack.

I have an example, trying to attach a small fuel tank to the bottom of a node it looks like the GUI indicator showing where it will attach is offset in the wrong place:

RAOamUX.png

But you can actually attach it

PKDQYNI.png

So its still functional but can be a bit of a pain sometimes on EVA trying to actually see where its going to attach :)

I have problems with attach, the screwdriver and others tools dont equip!
I see the tool in kerbal hand, but is not equipped, when press H show message saying the kerbal dont have tool to attach.
My system is KSP: 1.1 (Win64) - Unity: 5.2.4f1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit AMD 8350 8 gb RAM

This is may list of mods:

Spoiler

ABookCase Orbital Reference System - 0.2
Better Science Labs Continued - 0.1.7.1
Chatterer - 0.9.8.1230
Community Resource Pack - 0.5
Deadly Reentry - 7.4
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.2.3
Engine Lighting - 1.4.3
Firespitter - 7.2.1
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 1.21
KAS - 0.5.6.5
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.5
KIS - 1.2.7.4
kOS - 0.20
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.1
KW-Rocketry-Community-Fixes - 0.4.10
Infernal Robots - 2.0
Modular Rocket Systems - 1.12.5
EVAHandrailsPackContinued - 0.2.1.1
PlanetShine - 0.2.5
RCS Sounds - 5.0
RealChute - 1.4
ShipManifest - 5.0.9
SpaceY Expanded - 1.1.7
SpaceY Lifters - 1.12.1
TarsierSpaceTechnology - 6.0
TextureReplacer - 2.4.13
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.0.1
TweakScale - 2.2.6.1
Universal Storage - 1.1.0.11
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.8.9
Kerbal_Joint_Reinforcement-v3.1.5
kOS_Scriptable_Autopilot_System-v0.20.0
DistantObject_1.7.0
MechJeb2-2.5.7.0-580
StockVisualEnhancements_0.6.0-UR
scatterer-0.0244
ksp_sdhi_strobeomatic_beta_2
Surface_Experiment_Pack-1.3 (1)
KRnD-1.6
Bluedog_Design_Bureau-v0.10
Contares_antennas_and_dishes-1.0
Decouple_from_heatshield-1.1
Kopernicus.1.0
KerbalImprovedSaveSystem

[MOD - Log file removed due to adverse impact on other forum users. Please upload your log file to Dropbox or Google Drive, and link to it instead - sumghai]

Edited by sumghai
Log file removed due to adverse impact on other forum users

I'm tempted to quote it for the lawls. I thought it would never end, and i have hyper-scroll on my MX master

On another note; I primarily use these mods for placing struts on IVA's. As far as issues are going, are they not affecting the EVA struts as much as other things?

Edited by fireblade274

@KerbalMan23 @Festivejelly I was able to reproduce the issue. Thank you, guys, for the screenshots and the video.

@Leandro Basi Thanks for the log but next time please put that long things at least under the spoiler tag. Or better put the file somewhere (like Google Drive) and give a link. As for the problem, you cannot equip anything because of this error:

[EXC 00:21:13.760] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KIS.ModuleKISInventory.PlaySound (System.String sndPath, Boolean loop, Boolean uiSnd)
    KIS.KIS_Item.PlaySound (System.String sndPath, Boolean loop)
    KIS.KIS_Item.Equip ()
    KIS.ModuleKISInventory.GuiContextMenu (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

This error alone would make me very concerned. Though, given how many other NPE errors you have in the log I'd say you have a bad conflict with your mods (or a broken game). Try removing mods until this one disappeared:

[EXC 00:23:49.603] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Utils.DeferredRenderer.OnWillRenderObject ()

Then try to check KIS again. If it still happening please provide detailed description of where you try to activate the tool (place, situation, ships around, etc.). A screenshot will be very helpful.

Edited by IgorZ

3 minutes ago, funkcanna said:

I know this is primarily for bugs on the Pre 1.1 version - but I was just wondering if/how its possible to have all seats default to having a drill and wrench?  I ALWAYS forget these :D

Add the parts to each seat inventory. When a seat is occupied the parts will be in the inventory of the crew member.

New versions available:

• KIS: 2016-04-21 Alpha 5:
    • [Fix] Match rendering queue of KIS pointer to the part's highlight renderers to prevent overlapping issue.
    • [Fix] Restore highlighting of the hovered part when deselecting a hierarchy.
    • [Change] Increase static attach strength on ground base to prevent joint breakage.
    • [Fix] Fix bottom attach node on ground base to make it more stable and prevent explosions on physics start.
    • [Change] Revert turning static attached items kinematic.
  • KAS: 2016-04-21 Alpha 6:
    • [Change] Increase static attach strength on pylon to prevent joint breakage.
    • [Fix] Fix bottom & srf attach nodes on pylon to make it more stable and prevent explosions on physics start.

Always do clean install of every version. I.e. delete whole old folder from the game and then unpack the new version.

Known issues:

• KIS
    • Ground base only behaves correctly on the ground when attached to the bottom of the part.
  • KAS
    • Some harpoons and ports breaking force can be a little to weak.
    • Ground pylon only behaves correctly on the ground when attached to the bottom of the part.

@KerbalMan23 @Festivejelly Your issue should be fixed in the latest KIS build.