Landing with a broken plane.

BoggyDG

So, today i was testing out a plane i made with the afterburning engine(idk the name, thrust is 85 and 135), and i kicked up the turbo. plane suddenly accelerated to 950 m/s(only had 2 of them), and then i shut off the turbo. i tried to roll to the right and pull up to steer to see what would happen, and the whole fuselage broke in half. my wings were on the back, so they're gone, and so were the engines. all i had for controls is a reaction wheel and 2 winglets(the ones with 5% surface control area) and a rudder, not to forget that i was in the middle of the ocean. I rotated the remains of the plane prograde(down), and tried to make it glide. the plane resisted rotating, making it hard to turn, but i managed to pull the prograde vector up about 15 degrees from around 50 degrees down. at around 500m i turned fully prograde and slowly pulled up. The prograde vector pulled up drastically, to around 15 degrees before i hit the water. I somehow, unbelievably survived. The winglets broke, but everything else was fine. Did anything like that ever happen to you? 

YfvRMhR.png

8xQS44X.png

Edited by BoggyDG

No pictures but yes i've done it a few times.    I have tac fuel balancer so jettison all propellants to lighten us, lower landing speed and less kinetic energy to stop.  Put the gear down to absorb some impact etc.   And i design for crashworthiness,  i prefer inline cockpits with modules further to front of fuselage.

Water can be a saviour! Last time I screwed up was the infamous "wings going poof at atmo border during re-entry" and needless to say my shuttle started a tumble that turned into a POOF.

So no, I couldn't save that one.

Oh I love these situations! My rule is to never give up on a lfight. I think my most memorable was once when testing out a new SSTO plane, it decided to disintegrate during reentry. Only the cockpit survived. Fortunately it was a Mk2 which provides plenty of body lift, so I was able to splashdown prett soft. It was a glorious day for my pilots!

Not quite a landing, but one time while I was testing a BDA bomber and a bomb clipped the inside of the bay and blew away most of the plane. All that remained was the part of the bay connected to the main wings, and the thing flew until the engines ran out of fuel to slurp up. Made me wish there was a kerbal somewhere in that segment so I could say someone walked away to tell the tale.

You know what's crazy, you can actually land the 2.5 m probe core all on it's own, if you do it right. If you go into a deep dive, and do a hard stall after gliding it, you can slow it down below 20 m/s!

(Also, the feeling when you manage to land a broken plane, it's so satisfying)

Edited by Coeus

I tried to takeoff from the KSC mountains after popping just the aileron of my swept-wings science puddlejumper, in a bad landing. I'm not sure if it was Atmosphere Autopilot that did it, but the combination of short field takeoff and high takeoff AoA (the runway was down a slope) caused the aileron-less wing to stall, drop and drive the aircraft down. Shame; I always love a good in flight emergency.

I made a plane that chops off half of the entire plane when the gear deploy (Yay for panel vans!). it still flys the same.  It has a massive lift and STOL capacity and a giant, quick unload back, so I outfitted with metal plating on the bottom, and a .50cal turret, and used it as a combat transport.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.