What is your biggest science pet peeve in movies?

todofwar

1 hour ago, Stargate525 said:

products with planned lifespans and intentional obsolescence

To be fair, most times this is not intentional, is just a consequence of cheaper manufacturing and optimized products to get more efficiency (so less security margin). Everybody wants the old freezer nuclear blast rated (as in that indiana jones film :P ) with current prices and A+++ electricity efficiency.

Edited by kunok

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

I think that was justified by them losing their other ships to an unknown enemy (and thus they were unaware of its weapons, capabilities, and protection) and that the other ships were unable to enter the combat area because of some magic alien technology. This would leave the battleship as a ship that they need. Now, is it battle-ready? I would say no, of course not. But they didn't choose it because it was better. It was the only ship they had available, and now that they understood the enemy better, they were able to win. Plus, it had big guns.

It is still kinda dumb, though.

I loved how Futurama handled this. It's a replica, there's a logo on the ascent module and everything.

Futurama, somehow getting more things right than most sciencey movies and shows.

4 minutes ago, todofwar said:

Futurama, somehow getting more things right than most sciencey movies and shows.

On that same note, I was watching the 1960's classic movie "Thunderbirds Are Go" a couple days ago, and I was struck in the beginning of the movie at just how accurate the space plane launching was. But here's the thing... for those that haven't seen it, "Thunderbirds Are Go" is a children's movie done with marionettes!!!  And in many ways it's the creepiest thing you'll ever see.... But at the same time, the spaceplane launching was much more accurate than many modern sci-fi movie space ships!

48 minutes ago, kunok said:

To be fair, most times this is not intentional, is just a consequence of cheaper manufacturing and optimized products to get more efficiency (so less security margin). Everybody wants the old freezer nuclear blast rated (as in that indiana jones film :P ) with current prices and A+++ electricity efficiency.

*waggles hand*

I work with modern computers on a daily basis taking their guts apart. Cheaper manufacturing, yes, because they only expect or WANT the device to last about 3-5 years at most. Many products are optimized for cost (in theory), instead of longevity. This results in a $100 purchase every three years instead of a $200 purchase every five.

But back on topic... one of my big pet peeves is limited tool use; for instance, that lightsaber can cut through a reinforced blast door, but you'll still sit and wait for the troopers to come to you instead of cutting the bridge off.

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

On that same note, I was watching the 1960's classic movie "Thunderbirds Are Go" a couple days ago, and I was struck in the beginning of the movie at just how accurate the space plane launching was. But here's the thing... for those that haven't seen it, "Thunderbirds Are Go" is a children's movie done with marionettes!!!  And in many ways it's the creepiest thing you'll ever see.... But at the same time, the spaceplane launching was much more accurate than many modern sci-fi movie space ships!

It's not really accurate to say that Thunderbirds was a children's show. Unlike the Andersons' earlier shows, it was aimed at a general audience of both adults and children.

24 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Biggest pet peeve....

When ships re-enter in star wars, they have NO effects. (And no, that scene in the prequel DOESN'T count)

that's because in star wars, they re-entered and fly to space at slow airplane speed using magic repulsors. 

44 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

Gandalf, played by Keanu Reeves

:0.0:

From another side, Gandalf usually solves his problems exactly like Keanu hacks computers: with kung-fu and a bludgeon wand. Matrix, Johnny Mnemonic

Magic? It's just instead of matches.

Edited by kerbiloid

Back to the topic,

Lately I have become really annoyed by super hero ability, more specifically superpowerd one, and lately Hulk is my biggest offender,  I have a tendency to accept many thing when it come to comics, superheros and stuff but Hulk is said to be so strong that he can punch his way to another dimension. In other word he can punch vaccum so hard that it can break the inexistant border of a dimension of the multiverse and pass to a different dimension entirely?. This is way other my limit of suspension of disbelief. 

Edited by Hary R

11 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Biggest pet peeve....

When ships re-enter in star wars, they have NO effects. (And no, that scene in the prequel DOESN'T count)

So... they don't except when they do.

The EU has double-handwaved it: shields, and apparently even the flimsy cockpit of a TIE can survive reentry plasma head-on.

Just now, DDE said:

So... they don't except when they do.

The EU has double-handwaved it: shields, and apparently even the flimsy cockpit of a TIE can survive reentry plasma head-on.

Except a huge 1 bajillion square foot thing that shreds apart like tissue paper on reentry

17 hours ago, Stargate525 said:

*waggles hand*

I work with modern computers on a daily basis taking their guts apart. Cheaper manufacturing, yes, because they only expect or WANT the device to last about 3-5 years at most. Many products are optimized for cost (in theory), instead of longevity. This results in a $100 purchase every three years instead of a $200 purchase every five.

But back on topic... one of my big pet peeves is limited tool use; for instance, that lightsaber can cut through a reinforced blast door, but you'll still sit and wait for the troopers to come to you instead of cutting the bridge off.

Cheap laptops uses cheap plastic and cut corners everywhere, result is an fairly bulky computer who still is fragile. Still it last 5 years if not moved much, if an teen carry it from home to school every day it don't last long. An quality computer can take a lot of beating, stationary computers will get outdated before they wear out. Exception is power supply if cheap. 

Regarding computers its true in some cases, Dell had as very cheap brand of towers they sold. The problem was that they was nerfed, it only had the connectors it needed, all the others was missing, an lack of expansion slots most critical was the pci-e 16 one, it had two pci-e 4, 2 sata connectors, leaving one free as dvd was old parallel. 
Why, the motherboard had the holes, the connectors would cost far less than an dollar, had they used an small motherboard without extra connections I would not complained. 
Case was the typical Dell idiocy an minitower who can hold two harddrives. 
And you have Apples latest where you can not upgrade memory or ssd. No its not an $400 budget computer its an $3000 premium one 

10 hours ago, Hary R said:

Back to the topic,

Lately I have become really annoyed by super hero ability, more specifically superpowerd one, and lately Hulk is my biggest offender,  I have a tendency to accept many thing when it come to comics, superheros and stuff but Hulk is said to be so strong that he can punch his way to another dimension. In other word he can punch vaccum so hard that it can break the inexistant border of a dimension of the multiverse and pass to a different dimension entirely?. This is way other my limit of suspension of disbelief. 

Never been able to get into superheroes because of the suspension of disbelief get to high. 
Star wars or LOTR no issue at all its not our universe and rules of cool is important. 
Superheros are set in our world and tend to be even more absurd. 
Our world is also why people complain about stuff in non scifi or fantasy movies: bottomless magazines, cars who explodes has luckily gotten rarer but in all cheap action flicks you have helicopters exploding behind an hill. Hacking is just stupid, why not leave the hacker and focus on the rest of the crew who might try to distract or shoot somebody. 

13 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Biggest pet peeve....

I thought Independence Day was even worse. They include the fireball, but completely misunderstood why there is a fireball. Even when the ships are clearly too slow to compress air in front of them, they are covered in flames. My headcanon was that it was actually their shields coming into equilibrium with atmosphere that caused the flames around the ship, since they would probably have them cranked up to 11 to protect from radiation in space and need to reset for atmo as soon as they re-enter (can you really call it re-enter? was the Apollo lander's ascent stage really an SSTO?) and have no more need of heat shielding. 

Edited by todofwar

13 minutes ago, todofwar said:

I thought Independence Day was even worse. They include the fireball, but completely misunderstood why there is a fireball. Even when the ships are clearly too slow to compress air in front of them, they are covered in flames. My headcanon was that it was actually their shields coming into equilibrium with atmosphere that caused the flames around the ship, since they would probably have them cranked up to 11 to protect from radiation in space and need to reset for atmo as soon as they re-enter (can you really call it re-enter? was the Apollo lander's ascent stage really an SSTO?) and have no more need of heat shielding. 

Are you talking about the most recent one? That big one was coming in INCREDIBLY fast. It looked slow because the thing was the size of half the planet.

3 hours ago, Stargate525 said:

Are you talking about the most recent one? That big one was coming in INCREDIBLY fast. It looked slow because the thing was the size of half the planet.

Haven't seen the second one, but in the first I thought it was still on fire while practically stationary 

11 minutes ago, todofwar said:

I meant the very beginning. The ships enter as large flaming clouds. They send a hurricane chaser to find out what it is, and it gets swallowed by flames.

Oh, well it wasn't a very good movie, so I haven't seen it in a long, long time. Guess I forgot that.

I don't have problems with all the Star Wars stuff.
After all, for me it's no SciFy but Fantasy or fairytale, comparable to LotR but in space.

Our physiks don't apply in this fantasy setting, thus, no need for orbits or reentry heat.
Furthermore, Star Wars doesn't even try to explain its "technology" so I just treat them as magic (or not distinguishable from magic ;-) ).
A light saber is no high-tech weapon, it's more like your usual "Sword of destiny + 1".
Magic by our standards, usual in its fantasy universe.

37 minutes ago, SuperFastJellyfish said:

I've always thought that Star Wars is supposed to be our Universe just that it took place 'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...'  :P

In much the same way that Lord of the Rings takes place in our universe - and even on our planet - just "before the continents moved."

(I'm quoting that from a distant memory but am sure at least the sentiment is correct)

Edited by 5thHorseman
Swype doesn't know plurals from possessives

I have to say that this is really not science but its sort of related. I cant stand those scenes where there are sliding doors on a spacecraft (Star Wars) and they slid open, but there is no room for them to slide into. Also, similarly, Iron Man has missile launchers that pop up out of his arms. However, they have a large enough diameter that they would take up all of the space taken up by Tony Stark's arm.:P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.