2nd class citizen

SpacedCowboy

Being a KSP store buyer from like,,, 3 years ago, I can't help feeling somewhat,,, segmented (no, I'm not going to use the big "S" word) Separated from the rest. I understand (basically) why Sqad can't present the 1.1 pre-release to everyone, but still, I feel a bit left out. Yeah, I'll still update 1.1 when it comes along, but I'll never forget the bad taste in my mouth. How do you feel?

Mods, please end this thread as, it's getting ugly. Did not mean for it to go this way. thank you

Edited by SpacedCowboy

Hey it's Squad's loss- I imagine there are a lot of crazy people like me who'd love to mess around with beta software for hours and try to reproduce bugs and explain in detailed steps how to make them happen, but don't have the opportunity. If this test goes well I'm sure the rest of us will get the chance the next time around.

Me to. Same boat. Feel the same way.

The fact that http://www.spacedock.info/  is presenting mods like 1.1 as if it was the latest stable release is not helping that.

But once it is out, that feeling will pass and we will forget about it and move on. Not a huge deal in the big scheme of things, IMO. 

Edited by alast.andy

As a store buyer I feel pretty good about the situation.  My 1.1 testing is going pretty well, no "bad taste" or nothing.  vOv

Edited by regex

Luckily most of my strong feelings have worn out since the open beta was first announced, but I still feel left out. Would it be asking for too much for Squad to give everyone prerelease access in the future?

Edited by Rthsom

10 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

How do you feel?

Annoyed. I could just buy the game again on steam I guess, but paying ~2x the going rate for what steam users get included in the ticket price? No. On principle.

4 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Annoyed. I could just buy the game again on steam I guess, but paying ~2x the going rate for what steam users get included in the ticket price? No. On principle.

I am on Linux so I don't think I even have this choice. I know their is a version of steam for linux but that's a huge ball of wax I don't have time for 

So I will wait.

Maybe try thinking of it this way. The reset of the community is just getting everything perfect for us. We are the KSP Store Elite ;)

17 minutes ago, regex said:

As a store buyer I feel pretty good about the situation.  My 1.1 testing is going pretty well, no "bad taste" or nothing.  vOv

OK you'll have to explain how it is that you have 1.1 access ?

3 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

OK you'll have to explain how it is that you have 1.1 access ?

You can transfer a store-bought game to Steam if you bought it prior to April 2013 I believe; it's what I did in order to get 1.1 access. It's possible regex did this, or found some other way of getting access to 1.1.

21 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Yeah, it kind of makes me feel like Squad is shirking their original contract.

Really? Another? Look squad is not a proper design house with the resources that come with it. They are a mexico based ADVERTISING FIRM FIRST!!!! They chose to use STEAM because THEY have the gear to deal with this kind of load. Keep also in mind its buggier than a swamp after a thunderstorm. 1.1 is nearing us, be patient.  I honestly think the most sour people about this are not wanting to test but just play.

Just now, SpacedCowboy said:

They've done nothing of the sort, in regards to the "contract" at least (EULA?).

How many 1.1 versions have been released for testing? If the updates are only coming every few weeks... it's not really any different than a patch bandwidth wise. 

I guess I'll wait for release, and if I find anything useful, maybe it gets addressed in a patch.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

How many 1.1 versions have been released for testing? If the updates are only coming every few weeks... it's not really any different than a patch bandwidth wise. 

It's been about 7-8 patches as far as I know... But

Stay Determined . . .

23 minutes ago, CalculusWarrior said:

You can transfer a store-bought game to Steam if you bought it prior to April 2013 I believe; it's what I did in order to get 1.1 access. It's possible regex did this, or found some other way of getting access to 1.1.

I believe I bought KSP in late summer 2013, but don't remember anything about Steam.

45 minutes ago, alast.andy said:

I am on Linux so I don't think I even have this choice. I know their is a version of steam for linux but that's a huge ball of wax I don't have time for 

So I will wait.

Maybe try thinking of it this way. The reset of the community is just getting everything perfect for us. We are the KSP Store Elite ;)

That's a good approach.

32 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Because they have a contract with you to provide a pre-release versions of 1.1? I don't think so.

It's simply a case of logistics.  Steam pushes updates to the clients so you know everyone has the same version (in theory), with the KSP Store you have to rely on the testers to go fetch each patch.  Don't worry though, I have the Steam version and I can't play either.  Honestly, I'm not sure I want to.

Edited by Alshain

I could have sworn I already saw this exact topic get locked a week ago.  Still, I'll throw in my two-cents-worth.

I waited for Squad to release version 1.0 before buying into the game, and I made a conscious decision to buy it through their own store rather than Steam because I didn't want Lord Gabe to gobble up a dime of what I was investing in a product that Valve had no hand in helping create.  I paid full price for a finished product, and this time around, I was passed over for beta-testing an update because of the logistics nightmare that distribution methods turned out to be.  Oh well.  I'm not being treated like a second-class citizen.  I'm being treated like a valued, paying customer.  They're not pushing an update on me that's in obvious beta like many companies would.  Instead, they're waiting until it's considered ready for the big time.

I may be a bit impatient, but I have to look at it this way:  When I was waiting tables and a customer ordered a steak well-done, I didn't pester the cook into making it medium-rare instead just because the idiot at the table thought it was taking too long.  I waited until the steak was actually well-done, then carried it out to the impatient customer.  He knew what he was getting into when he made the order, and I knew that delivering an unfinished product would mean no tip, and quite possibly having the meal comped by my manager then taken out of my pay.  In this case, I am the customer who ordered the steak well-done.  With my seat near the kitchen, I can smell it, and my mouth is certainly watering in anticipation, but right now it's still medium-rare.  I can wait.

Edited by Aetharan
Typo-correction. Really? How did I not catch "steal" where I meant "steak"?

I agree. Im a store user and am (Or at least was, my feelings have settled) a bit upset. I do have access to 1.1 now after I ended up getting it on steam anyway, but as someone who for a long period of time was sure that I was going to be left out I know exactly how you feel. 

25 minutes ago, zarakon said:

You're better off without it for now

What? Why? Its actually quite stable unmodded with never any game breaking bugs or even anything that would irritate you much, and the new improvements have made stations much more pleasn't. I couldn't disagree more.

Edited by nosirrbro

18 minutes ago, godefroi said:

Because they have a contract with you to provide a pre-release versions of 1.1? I don't think so.

That's not the point I'm trying to express here.

22 minutes ago, Aetharan said:

I could have sworn I already saw this exact topic get locked a week ago.  Still, I'll throw in my two-cents-worth.

I waited for Squad to release version 1.0 before buying into the game, and I made a conscious decision to buy it through their own store rather than Steam because I didn't want Lord Gabe to gobble up a dime of what I was investing in a product that Valve had no hand in helping create.  I paid full price for a finished product, and this time around, I was passed over for beta-testing an update because of the logistics nightmare that distribution methods turned out to be.  Oh well.  I'm not being treated like a second-class citizen.  I'm being treated like a valued, paying customer.  They're not pushing an update on me that's in obvious beta like many companies would.  Instead, they're waiting until it's considered ready for the big time.

I may be a bit impatient, but I have to look at it this way:  When I was waiting tables and a customer ordered a steak well-done, I didn't pester the cook into making it medium-rare instead just because the idiot at the table thought it was taking too long.  I waited until the steal was actually well-done, then carried it out to the impatient customer.  He knew what he was getting into when he made the order, and I knew that delivering an unfinished product would mean no tip, and quite possibly having the meal comped by my manager then taken out of my pay.  In this case, I am the customer who ordered the steak well-done.  With my seat near the kitchen, I can smell it, and my mouth is certainly watering in anticipation, but right now it's still medium-rare.  I can wait.

Love your analogy here, it's just when I bought KSP, Steam was not there yet

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

Look squad is not a proper design house with the resources that come with it. They are a mexico based ADVERTISING FIRM FIRST!!!! They chose to use STEAM because THEY have the gear to deal with this kind of load

Working patcher = minimal load.

47 minutes ago, tater said:

Then their concerns were pretty legitimate in terms of distribution with so many full DLs.

Working patcher = not doing full DLs. From the looks of things those update patches are generally <100MB.

37 minutes ago, Alshain said:

It's simply a case of logistics.  Steam pushes updates to the clients so you know everyone has the same version (in theory), with the KSP Store you have to rely on the testers to go fetch each patch.

Working patcher = everyone on the same version, no fetching required.

The distribution / bandwidth concerns are valid at the moment. However, I distinctly recall bringing up the broken patcher several times over the last year... and being largely ignored. This is frustrating, as fixing that would have avoided the whole situation.

Two things...

1. Ugh... who orders a steak well-done? <smeagol> HE RUINS IT! </smeagol>

2. Squad used to be an advertising firm. This misunderstanding really needs to be squashed for good. The Squad we know that develops KSP split from its advertising firm roots some time ago and is it's own entity now.