[1.1.2] Eskandare Heavy Industries THERMONUCLEAR TURBINES! (1.0.12)

Eskandare

MLRAz3p.png

Nuclear Aircraft Engines

Download Thermonuclear Turbines (for KSP 1.1.2) on SpaceDock!

A new hot way to get into orbit!

This is a small engine mod that adds nuclear turbine aircraft engines based off of this concept, Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion, Project Pluto and the similar Soviet program Tupolev Tu-95LAL, also with a little influence from the Choujikuu Yousai Macross anime series and sequels to give two of the engines space capability.

The concept behind the engine is that thermal energy is transferred through a heat exchanger into the "can" (combustion section of a turbine) instead of using combustion to rapidly heat up gasses to turn the turbine and provide thrust.

Features for ver 1.1.0 (KSP 1.3.1) Update: COMING SOON!

• MOAR! Engines: 4x Nerv, 2x Nerv, Fusion Plasma Impulse, M.A.S.A.M.U.N.E., Back Draft, Fire Storm, and Fire Whirl. Two radial mount VTOL engines, Nuclear Vacuum and M.A.S.A.M.U.N.E. style.
  • Bussard style Fuel Scoops, Size 1 and Size 2 varients. Radial space plane fuel scoops, Bussard and atmospheric.
  • More fuel tanks to support the engines.
  • Four Fuel-O-Tron converters, Size 1, 2, & 3, and Mk 2.
  • Example Crafts
  • Custom Sounds
  • Custom FX

Current Issues:

• A few minor bugs I'm working on fixing, otherwise the engines work as it says on the tin.

CHANGE LOG

1.0.12: 1.1.2 Compatible, Updated Module Manager Dependency

1.0.11: 1.1 release, updated packaged *.dll plugins (Module Manager, FireSpitter, Smoke Screen). Minor changes to the Example Craft.

1.0.1P: Fixed location of FX folder, Fixed some issues with Example Craft.

1.0.0P: Release for 1.1 pre.

Additional Credit:

88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by Eskandare

2 minutes ago, martinezfg11 said:

Cool! Can we see some pics?

Working on that right now. Also discovered that the wheel colliders hate my example crafts and they need editing to prevent rapid unplanned disassembly.

54 minutes ago, Minecraf345 said:

Yay! This should keep me busy for a few days! Love the Nuclear Props!

Good fun! Remember to press 'x' to zero your throttle and 'b' to lock the brakes to wait for the engines so warm up. Well, you don't have to but the engine sounds are worth it. :D

Edited by Eskandare

14 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

Good fun! Remember to press 'x' to zero your throttle and 'b' to lock the brakes to wait for the engines so warm up. Well, you don't have to but the engine sounds are worth it. :D

I have never not done that :P. I think I found a small bug, the sounds only come from one side of my speakers. I tried unplugging and re-plugging in my speakers, but it was still acting like that. Same as my headphones

Edited by Minecraf345

12 minutes ago, RomanCat said:

Maybe for 1.0.5 to?

Just use the 1.0.5 version of the plugins, they should work.

2 minutes ago, Minecraf345 said:

I have never not done that :P. I think I found a small bug, the sounds only come from one side of my speakers. I tried unplugging and re-plugging in my speakers, but it was still acting like that. Same as my headphones

All my sounds are sampled at Stereo 44,100Hz, 32 bit float, they work fine. The problem may be on your end.

Downloaded it and its pretty awesome, but I have a few things to say. The "Fire Whirl's" icon is broken in the SPH. Also, most of the models look really good but the propeller looks kind of tacky. Tihs of course is an opinion, but I think that the propellers design could look a bit more sleek and modern. Anyways, thanks for the awesome mod.

40 minutes ago, bananashavings said:

Downloaded it and its pretty awesome, but I have a few things to say. The "Fire Whirl's" icon is broken in the SPH. Also, most of the models look really good but the propeller looks kind of tacky. Tihs of course is an opinion, but I think that the propellers design could look a bit more sleek and modern. Anyways, thanks for the awesome mod.

I was trying to go for more of a retro modern 1960 art deco look. The icon in the SPH being broken? How? If you mean that the blur transform and collider is visible it is because how the SPH/VAB icons work currently. 

Just now, Eskandare said:

I was trying to go for more of a retro modern 1960 art deco look. The icon in the SPH being broken? How? If you mean that the blur transform and collider is visible it is because how the SPH/VAB icons work currently. 

About the icon: I was thinking something like that may have happened, but how come this doesn't happen in Firespitter or KAX?

About the model: Neat, but I dont know if they really fit with the others models. The other 3 look "futuristic" and very sleek, where as this looks tacky. Do what you want, but It might attract more people if it look fitting.

Thanks for the update, love the engines.

This is for the Nodachi & Masamune.

I wasn't getting any Smokescreen flames, I looked at the log and saw that KSP couldn't load the mu's from "Eskandare_Heavy_Industries/Thermonuclear/FX" and then I saw that "FX" is under "Eskandare_Heavy_Industries/Thermonuclear/Parts/FX".  I copied "FX" to "Eskandare_Heavy_Industries/Thermonuclear/FX" and got the flames.

Thanks for all your work on this

Edited by smurphy34
n stuff

1 hour ago, bananashavings said:

About the icon: I was thinking something like that may have happened, but how come this doesn't happen in Firespitter or KAX?

About the model: Neat, but I dont know if they really fit with the others models. The other 3 look "futuristic" and very sleek, where as this looks tacky. Do what you want, but It might attract more people if it look fitting.

Maybe... My KAX and FireSpitter does the same. I though it could have been a Unity 5 issue. I'll look into it.

1 hour ago, smurphy34 said:

Thanks for the update, love the engines.

This is for the Nodachi & Masamune.

I wasn't getting any Smokescreen flames, I looked at the log and saw that KSP couldn't load the mu's from "Eskandare_Heavy_Industries/Thermonuclear/FX" and then I saw that "FX" is under "Eskandare_Heavy_Industries/Thermonuclear/Parts/FX".  I copied "FX" to "Eskandare_Heavy_Industries/Thermonuclear/FX" and got the flames.

Thanks for all your work on this

Thanks for noting that! I'll fix it for my next update ASAP.

Many thanks for the update, Eskandare! The new engines look sweet, not to mention finally getting the long-awaited 2.5m turbine. All that's left is mk2 nuke and i can safely toss out rest of 'em jets:sticktongue:

Couple of reports:

- The contrail from MASAMUNE is spawning from outside of engine, off-centre to the right. Not critical, but can be annoying.

- Dual Firestorms start to gimball like krazy once out of the atmosphere, the aft section of the shuttle continuously made circles (counter-clockwise) and failed to finish last 5 m/s of circularization maneuver.

Using 1.0.5 version here, so not sure if this is incompatibility or mod issue.

9 hours ago, Rho-Mu 34 said:

Many thanks for the update, Eskandare! The new engines look sweet, not to mention finally getting the long-awaited 2.5m turbine. All that's left is mk2 nuke and i can safely toss out rest of 'em jets:sticktongue:

Couple of reports:

- The contrail from MASAMUNE is spawning from outside of engine, off-centre to the right. Not critical, but can be annoying.

- Dual Firestorms start to gimball like krazy once out of the atmosphere, the aft section of the shuttle continuously made circles (counter-clockwise) and failed to finish last 5 m/s of circularization maneuver.

Using 1.0.5 version here, so not sure if this is incompatibility or mod issue.

As a replacement for regular engines it would be tough since nuclear engines are heavier and produce more heat.

I'll certainly look into that. Everything should be perfectly in line in Unity it could be possible something got misaligned. Last I checked the Masamune was in line, but I did have trouble with the 2.5m Fire Storm engine. I'll check again to be sure.

The gimbaling issue may be due to the TWR of the craft, it's an issue I've obseved in KSP before. I think ot may more a KSP issue.

Edited by Eskandare

On 4/12/2016 at 3:23 PM, Minecraf345 said:

So I investigated the problem further. I believe it is an issue with FSengineSounds in FireSpitter. I worked with the sound files in every way possible, no matter what I did the stereo channel was limited to only one channel. I can try recording as a mono channel file and see if that changes anything.

On 4/18/2016 at 6:19 PM, Eskandare said:

So I investigated the problem further. I believe it is an issue with FSengineSounds in FireSpitter. I worked with the sound files in every way possible, no matter what I did the stereo channel was limited to only one channel. I can try recording as a mono channel file and see if that changes anything.

Thanks for looking into this! I thought I was just going crazy from the stress of my upcoming ACT test!

On 13 квітня 2016 р. at 1:55 PM, Eskandare said:

As a replacement for regular engines it would be tough since nuclear engines are heavier and produce more heat.

That was a joke of course, though every joke has some truth in it and i do use your engines more often than regular airbreathing engines.

On 13 квітня 2016 р. at 1:55 PM, Eskandare said:

The gimbaling issue may be due to the TWR of the craft, it's an issue I've obseved in KSP before. I think ot may more a KSP issue.

Ran numerous tests with completely different SSTOs, different layouts, different TWRs, different weight, different CoMs - same result, and for 1.25 turbine too. I do hope it's 1.0.5 quirk...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.