[1.1.2] Eskandare Heavy Industries THERMONUCLEAR TURBINES! (1.0.12)

Eskandare

Do you manage the CKAN meta data? This mod needs just the Firespitter Core and Firespitter Resources config, not the complete FireSpitter mod. Please correct the dependency, so CKAN does not always pull in Firespitter for the turbines. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

DOH!!!  I'm a dummy! I forgot I had switched to my development computer and hadn't updated Module Manager.

Sorry guys it looks like something in 1.1.2 broke the IntakeATM resource for the intakes. I'm investigating how to fix it. @RoverDude and @NathanKell feel free to chime in on this one.

Edit: To be fair I worked, got home, pulled out two denoginizers (beer by Drakes Brewry),  went into blender, went model making crazy, imported, compiled, booted up KSP, and didn't realize I hadn't updated dependencies until I looked down and saw I was on the 'other' computer (both cases look identical and are a foot from each other) and said oh crap!

Edited by Eskandare
things & stuff

That All  Engine Sound i can't hear it, animation is fine but engine sound is too quiet

lucky i got latest firespitter dll file to fix issue.

Did you updated firespitter?

Edit : crap, i got old file on my computer ill download new ones

Edited by CraftedDoge20PlaysKSP1.0.5

18 hours ago, CraftedDoge20PlaysKSP1.0.5 said:

That All  Engine Sound i can't hear it, animation is fine but engine sound is too quiet

lucky i got latest firespitter dll file to fix issue.

Did you updated firespitter?

Edit : crap, i got old file on my computer ill download new ones

Firespitter should be up to date, the engine sounds are something I'm working on resolving. 

Theoretically you could make a variant of this that uses a "wet" afterburner mode, much like the after-burning engine in stock, except with the dry engine being a nuke-based.

14 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

Theoretically you could make a variant of this that uses a "wet" afterburner mode, much like the after-burning engine in stock, except with the dry engine being a nuke-based.

Basically that is what the MASAMUNE and Fire Storm engines are. Except multi engine is set for 'wet' in space

On 5/13/2016 at 1:53 AM, Eskandare said:

Basically that is what the MASAMUNE and Fire Storm engines are. Except multi engine is set for 'wet' in space

Well, for that form of engine, you could have a four burn mode, the first three being "jet" modes with the option of wet afterburner by adding a high-bypass afterburner.  That is what I'm suggesting.

Mode 1 is dry:  A large volume of heavily compressed air is injected into the heat chamber and expanded, it is introduced to the bypass air to create additional expansion in the afterburner chamber (and keep the nozzle from overheating).
Mode 2 is standard wet: A small volume of heavily compressed air is injected into the heat chamber and mixed with fuel.   This requires less fuel and produces more thrust.  Any heat produced combustion would be greatly outweighed by the evaporation, leaving the resulting air actually cooler.  It then ignites when mixed with additional compressed bypass air in the afterburner chamber.  Additional fuel can be added at this point for "afterburner on" mode for even more thrust, higher ideal speed and resulting guzzling of fuel.
Mode 3 is full wet:  No air is added, but the bypass turbine is still functioning.  The added fuel partially ignites in the afterburner chamber depending on available intake air.  This allows for high altitude operation.
Mode 4 is full rocket.  Bypass turbine is turned off, the output turbine is solely used to power the alternator and thus has lower load.  Higher efficiency in full or near vacuum, but uses more fuel.  There is no point in adding more fuel in the afterburner chamber, because it won't burn and will expand less than fuel added directly to chamber.

6 hours ago, Ruedii said:

Well, for that form of engine, you could have a four burn mode, the first three being "jet" modes with the option of wet afterburner by adding a high-bypass afterburner.  That is what I'm suggesting.

Mode 1 is dry:  A large volume of heavily compressed air is injected into the heat chamber and expanded, it is introduced to the bypass air to create additional expansion in the afterburner chamber (and keep the nozzle from overheating).
Mode 2 is standard wet: A small volume of heavily compressed air is injected into the heat chamber and mixed with fuel.   This requires less fuel and produces more thrust.  Any heat produced combustion would be greatly outweighed by the evaporation, leaving the resulting air actually cooler.  It then ignites when mixed with additional compressed bypass air in the afterburner chamber.  Additional fuel can be added at this point for "afterburner on" mode for even more thrust, higher ideal speed and resulting guzzling of fuel.
Mode 3 is full wet:  No air is added, but the bypass turbine is still functioning.  The added fuel partially ignites in the afterburner chamber depending on available intake air.  This allows for high altitude operation.
Mode 4 is full rocket.  Bypass turbine is turned off, the output turbine is solely used to power the alternator and thus has lower load.  Higher efficiency in full or near vacuum, but uses more fuel.  There is no point in adding more fuel in the afterburner chamber, because it won't burn and will expand less than fuel added directly to chamber.

I may look at that as a possibility. It would make the engines feel less cheatery when accelerating to orbit. Also more of a hybrid between having a Whiplash and a RAPIER. Have the advantage of using less fuel uppon acceleration but less power in orbit then a RAPIER with the advantages of a more efficient Whiplash.

I'm also working on a VTOL hybrid engine. Useful for no atmosphere moons and planets, great for Laythe with its limited land mass for horrizontal landings.

Yes, part of this would make the engines far less powerful in their zero-fuel mode unless you are in the lower atmosphere.  However, they would be far more efficient than the traditional jet engines at the cost of massive amounts of weight.

2 hours ago, CraftedDoge20PlaysKSP1.0.5 said:

on very old version "1.0.5" there's called K.U.N.A.I But Its Removed needs be add in this newest version

The 'Backdraft' is the K.U.N.A.I, just an name change and a newer model.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Eskandare

Your IntakeATM patch assumes the intake transform will always be "Intake" but this isn't always the case. Below are two IntakeATM patches from Porkjet's AtomicAge and SuicidalInsanity's Mk2Expansion. Maybe try something along these lines?

Cheers.

//AtomicAge
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir]]{

+MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]{ 
	@resourceName = IntakeAtm
	@checkForOxygen = false
	}

+RESOURCE[IntakeAir]{
	@name = IntakeAtm
	}
}

//Mk2Expansion
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir],!RESOURCE[IntakeAtm]]:NEEDS[!WarpPlugin]
{
	@checkForOxygen = false
	}

+RESOURCE[IntakeAir]{
	@name = IntakeAtm
	}
}

15 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

@Eskandare

Your IntakeATM patch assumes the intake transform will always be "Intake" but this isn't always the case. Below are two IntakeATM patches from Porkjet's AtomicAge and SuicidalInsanity's Mk2Expansion. Maybe try something along these lines?

Cheers.

//AtomicAge
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir]]{

@checkForOxygen = false
	}

+RESOURCE[IntakeAir]{
	@name = IntakeAtm
	}
}

//Mk2Expansion
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir],!RESOURCE[IntakeAtm]]:NEEDS[!WarpPlugin]
{
	@checkForOxygen = false
	}

+RESOURCE[IntakeAir]{
	@name = IntakeAtm
	}
}

I have been meaning to upload the update. The new patch is basically that... actually I'll  use yours and give you credit.

15 hours ago, Eskandare said:

I have been meaning to upload the update. The new patch is basically that... actually I'll  use yours and give you credit.

Well, technically I'm just copying and pasting stuff from both AtomicAge and Mk2Expansion (you only need one version of the patch). No need to credit me, but thanks all the same.

If you're looking for more things to add to an update, you could look at mass and cost/entryCost. All your parts pretty much have the same values for those entries. Not the end of the world (and I suspect it might be an inherited issue from KAX :P), but, meh.

What's the purpose of "FSengineMenuCleaner" by the way?

Edit: Ugh, was giving you KRX suggestions in the Thermonuclear thread.

Edited by Deimos Rast

• 5 weeks later...

Hey I don't know if your working on this project still or not but I just wanted to let you know that I am also haveing a serious gimbaling issue with the masamune. If I (or the rcs) tries to make to hard of a movement then the engine gimbals way past 90 degrees and starts to freak out even doing full 180's and blowing it's self or neighboring parts up. It's like the whole thing comes unhinged.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.