First Mun Landing - A Few Simple Pics

Buckley

Actually probably complicated the entire mission for being still a noob.  But I kinda wanted to do this "right" since it was my first real landing.  I designed a mission complete with an orbiter, 3 Kerbs - Jeb, Bill and Doodyer (any Kerbal named "Dood" is alright with me :P )  and a lander.  So, this was both my first time landing on MUN AND my first docking experience.  Would love to tell you I got it on the first try, but that's all lies.  Both landing and docking sufficiently kicked my behind before I got it.  Like, prolly 4-5 save scums for each.  But as I point out below I decided to allow the save scum given that I just flat out didn't know what I was doing vs. me just being sloppy.  (I like hardcore style Career...have it modded up nicely too.)  Overall I definitely improved things each attempt... and while I'm still very wobbily with some of this I feel sufficiently satisfied in all that I learned - I'm ready for more :).

Anywho... I present - "Viking II and Viking II Lander - A Few Simple Pics"

Stunning view on my approach:

jDKhUyB.png

Took me four tries to stick the landing.  I allowed myself save scumming b/c I was crashing due to just completely not understanding the mechanics at work.  My first attempt I tried doing it pretty much without the NavBall, you know... "hold my beer watch this" type thing. :P  Next 2 tries I very sloppily landed after buzzing around the surface - used my NavBall but got very sloppy and disoriented at about 2k off.  Same with Third landing but instead of saving it I just burned in a fire horribly.  4th trip in I really took my time, used the tool available, and stuck it.  Here's Jeb:

5tLAxOW.png

I was more than stoked.  Actually hooted rather loud after sticking it.  Jeb was fired up too:

95qP1rA.png

Jebediah Kermin, certified bada**:

ifIoHHp.png

Edited by Buckley

Cool on you, bro. I still remember my first successful landing; I was so into it, I was actually sweating and my heart was racing. It was a pretty cool experience and I felt very proud like I had accomplished it in real life instead of inside a video game.

You mentioned this was also your first docking experience. I found that to be far more difficult to understand and achieve than sticking a landing. Once I figured it out, it became ridiculously easy, but I struggled with rendezvous and docking for a long time before it just 'clicked' for me. How was your experience with that?

I see you are kinda fixated on the ISP stat of an engine, amirite? Such a tiny lander can needs only a tiny fuel tank+ engine, if you have a mod that tells you delta V, you will see this soon enough.

Anyway, doing it Apollo style on the first time is awesome!

1 hour ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Cool on you, bro. I still remember my first successful landing; I was so into it, I was actually sweating and my heart was racing. It was a pretty cool experience and I felt very proud like I had accomplished it in real life instead of inside a video game.

You mentioned this was also your first docking experience. I found that to be far more difficult to understand and achieve than sticking a landing. Once I figured it out, it became ridiculously easy, but I struggled with rendezvous and docking for a long time before it just 'clicked' for me. How was your experience with that?

Heh.  Similar to the landing process as far as not having a clue at first to use my instruments ... Started as another "hold my beer watch this" type thing... Which of course didn't end so well.  Also, patience.  Which is something that doesn't come naturally to me anyway.

I too found it harder initially.  But, once I figured out how to control my speed at various points in the process, how to appropriately use retrograde, target markers, and prograde on my Navball, as well as things like my camera angle and getting used to what direction a particular key would fire my RCS thrusters in I did ok. :P

O, and I now have direct experience with understanding RCS thruster balance importance.  <--- understatement of my short Kerbal experience thus far.

Overall 11/10.  Will definitely bang my head on my keyboard until I get it right again.  The payoff was well worth it.  Very few games have satisfied a sense of accomplishment like this.  Thats the drug that's got me hooked atm.

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

Congratulations! To borrow a line - you've taken your first step into a larger world...

Now.. can you get Jeb home again? :P:wink:

Technically, no. :P But multiple save scums later and I did successfully rendezvous lander with orbiter and return Bill, Doodyer, and Jeb safely.

Ole Jeb's got more lives than a cat it seems in this play through.  (Once I learn some more of the basic mechanics for things I intend to start a new career play through with less forgiveness for failures :) )

O and thanks for the comments all.

Next steps for KerboDyne Industries:

I've got 2 of 4 of my Keostationary ComSats up and operational. (RemoteTech2). Gonna finish that network to support further local exploits.

Im planning a 2nd landing for !SCIENCE!

I'll be conducting some ScanSat scans to begin identifying a location for a base, after which I'll launch a 3rd Viking lander mission to plant a flag at my future colony and resource exploitation site.

At that point I'll be starting up some OKS/MKS stuff at Kerbin and Mun.

About then I suppose it's Minmus and beyond....

Congratulations.  It never gets old to hear about someone's first landing either, as we all recall our own excitement*.  Docking, I first hated then came to love; it's just so serene and looks cool.

Tip for anyone who hasn't done it yet - Minmus is easier than Mun.

[ETA: Just thought, this is probably one of the things that makes KSP special - can you think of another game where someone says something like "I've just completed the second level ..." and the old-timers cheer!?]

Edited by Pecan

Grats! I remember much cheering and jumping and down when I finally stuck that landing too. Taking Jeb down the ladder, planting the flag, jumping about in low gravity... yeah that was one of my all time best videogame moments.

Onwards and upwards!

Very nice. Well done!

Mans noe you have this thread to commemorate the event forever!!

I hate auto correct along with a malfunctioning edit mode on mobile. 

"And now" rather than "mans noe". 

Guess you get another congrats message too! Congrats. 

45 minutes ago, WillThe84th said:

I remember my first time landing on Mun. It was in the demo. I never really planned on bringing him back though.

BLASPHEMER!  (:D)  NO KERBAL (well, at least not Jeb) SHALL BE LEFT BEHIND!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.