KSP Addiction

KocLobster

Is anyone else finding themselves seriously addicted to KSP? Granted, I'm still pretty new, but even veterans are still very involved in the game. Obviously it helps that it's still being developed, updated, and ultimately improved. It seems like all my free time is dedicated to KSP (not that I'm complaining). I hope I'm not the only one that's addicted; God knows I know enough about addiction.

After three years of pretty steady play and modding it gets boring sometimes, have to go play other things (Darkest Dungeon is the current side game).  However, KSP is on the same level as Minecraft for me, still playing that after 6 years or so.

16 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

If I have time for gaming its KSP,

So much so, I don't have to tell people what game I'm playing, I'm just playing "my game."

/ I'm not addicted.

// I can stop any time i want.

///but why would I want to?

8 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

Whaaaaaat? No, I'm not addicted. 8 hours a day is normal! Right? Right??

Hahaha I really enjoy these answers; I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one utterly addicted and a slave to KSP. I just can't get enough of it!

"I'm not addicted, I can stop anytime I want!"

...famous words I've heard before...

Yes, "seriously addicted" - count me in. I'm also not "a gamer", I just play the game. Excessively.

So, since you enjoy those answers: nooooope, I don't have a problem at all with playing KSP. The pain only starts once I try quitting.

2 hours ago, KocLobster said:

God knows I know enough about addiction.

Well, maybe he should have learned more about it himself before creating the human brain's reward system. What a mess. Probably had some firm deadline to get the 1.0 version released, or something.

I get obsessed with the math of it all, often through the use of mods. Current obsession is a satellite relay network for the Jool system in remote tech (playing Laythe space program). One central satellite around Jool that points to a satellite at the L4 points of each of the moons (5 directional dishes). The L4 satellite (2 directional dishes) pointing back at the planet such that the 3 equatorial omni comms (1 directional 1 omni) are always in its view. That way the only down time is when the Jool satellite swoops down below the planet.

But how much up-time is there in that system? Well first how do you find the function for the ellipse made by an orbit? What is the lowest point in that orbit that the Laythe L4 location can see? what is the area of the curve cut out going from that point on the ellipse to the same height on the other side? What is the overall area of the ellipse and period of the orbit? So how long is its downtime compared to its uptime? (I got around 99.998% uptime)

It’s got geometry, integrals, Kepler, pi. Oh, so much math.

Holy crap yes. I *might* have somewhat of an addictive personality, but this game caused me to replace ALL my other addictions with this. I typically work from home (I'm my own enabler), but I don't know who I'm trying to fool when I've got my code up on one monitor and KSP on the other. There's no work getting done lol.

4 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Nope, not the only one. In Most people here only play KSP. It's that good of a game other games seem bad relative to it.

I don't have the statistics to back that fact, but I'm pretty sure it's 100% factually correct.

35 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

Addicted?  Me?  Nahhh.

I mean I've only played for about 1,100 hours.  That's normal, right?

Yup. In this forum, it is :D 

4 hours ago, purpleivan said:

It's not quite so bad now, but in the first 9 months I racked up 1300 hours.

It was like I was working two jobs... but in I got to throw little green characters around a solar system :D

1 hour ago, Slam_Jones said:

Addicted?  Me?  Nahhh.

I mean I've only played for about 1,100 hours.  That's normal, right?

3 minutes ago, Elkram said:

More than 1000 hours played here and still having loads of fun.

Friends call me crazy, but here I feel home :cool: 

After discovering KSP, there is pretty much no game I've spent much significant time on. Maybe Space Engine a little, and the occasional Goat Simulator when I'm feeling really out of it, but it's been almost all KSP for what, two years now? I've got 2646 hours logged.

5 hours ago, KocLobster said:

And I've found myself wanting to skip class to be able play moarrr KSP.

You might even learn more!

Anyways, with my aspirations to become an astronaut, KSP is literally the closest thing I can get to actually going to space (besides riding an airliner) before I can do it in 11+ years. So, naturally, I love it.

I adore video games. I have done from the moment I played my first over 30 years ago and I love them as much today. KSP is by far the most satisfying game I have ever played. Am I addicted to it? No I don't think so. I just choose to play it. A lot. :D

KSP has this special something that only a few games (at least from my view) have. Like regex said before, you can always come back to KSP and do something new without boredom and the comparison to Minecraft actually holds for me as well. You can leverage so much joy from these games when you have the creativity and imagination.

Probably those two games returned most hours played for the money invested.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.