15 hours ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

,,, I've certainly never heard of mods that enhance IVAs either.

Raster Prop Monitor.  Treat yourself.
Plus several other mods support it (MJ, NavTools, Vessel Viewer, SCANSat, Docking Alignment, etc ...) so all their instrumentation/display windows appear on the IVA MFDs.  It's cool ;-)

On 13/4/2016 at 0:35 AM, Pecan said:

BIG difference:

VR = I look right, I see right.

TrackIR (or similar) = I look right, I can't see the sodding screen any more!

:wink:

There's still lots of work needed, but there is something you can try out with the Rift today.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2016 at 1:44 PM, Pecan said:

Raster Prop Monitor.  Treat yourself.
Plus several other mods support it (MJ, NavTools, Vessel Viewer, SCANSat, Docking Alignment, etc ...) so all their instrumentation/display windows appear on the IVA MFDs.  It's cool ;-)

I'm aware of and love RPM, I was being sarcastic ;-)

From the devnotes today -

Now that the party is over we are taking sometime to make some VR tests. Nestor (Nestor) is a VR enthusiast and he is very excited to see how those tests will end up looking.

Gonna totally unfairly take credit for this =)

• 1 month later...

I just played Fantastic Contraption on the Vive.

You build a car from given parts and press go to see if it can drive and if it can drive where you want it to.

couldn't stop thinking about how awesome it would be to have KSP in VR.

I highly recommend this game. Super low graphics but they are well done.

I hope one day a simplified KSP gets made for VR. 

Edited by k1dicarus

On 4/14/2016 at 7:44 PM, wumpus said:

Have you tried landing in IVA mode yet?  Or even looked at the controls of a Mercury capsule (hint, the IVA for the mark 1 has bigger windows)?  I don't think KSP-VR is going to fly any time soon.

On the other hand, I really can't think of a good KSP 2.0 follow-up.  KSP-VR might be the best KSP 2.0 that Squad could make.

Take a gander at this:

Flying IVA-only is absolutely fun, by the way. Not being able to see much adds a lot to the fear/immersion factor.

Edited by Guest

Apparently the resolution of the current sets isn't high enough for the alcor pod IVA ( I don't have access to either current headset myself, but I know someone who'll have all of them as it's part of his job ) - maybe the next generation. As has been said there needs to be some progression in art assets also if you're going to stare at them up close. It's a pity the original temporary stock assets have become permanent & pinned down the art style of so many mods :(

2 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Apparently the resolution of the current sets isn't high

Oh, come on...!

This is what they've been telling us for 30 years, "VR isn't here tomorrow, it's here today!"  And then they tape an NTSC-resolution screen to your head and call it "VR".  Phone screens have proven they can do better, they no longer have any excuse.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:43 AM, RizzoTheRat said:

It takes about 2 minutes with a Dev kit 2 Occulus rift for me to start feeling motion sickness :D

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 2:33 PM, cubinator said:

Ehhh...you can't really get away with less than 60 fps and still be able to play for extended periods of time. I think with the widespread release of VR tech, there will be a mod for it soon enough.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 2:24 PM, I_Killed_Jeb said:

Not sure why the VR would take significantly more resources considering everything on your monitor is being rendered just the same. The only necessity would be 90fps but you can probably get away with 45.

I'd be ok with that too!

A recent study has shown that even people who are very sensitive to VR motion sickness can use VR just fine if the field of view is reduce a bit while in motion and widened as the motion slows down and stops.  This is much less demanding computationally than 90fps and much more effective...if fact it's a bonus since when the field of view is reduced there are few pixels to have to display.

I'd love to try KSP in VR, think of how nice it would be to truly be able to judge when you are about to hit...I mean land on...a surface vs. having to use tricks like scatter terrain.  I'd be fine with the current graphics in VR, though just in general I'd like to see the graphics improved to at least Prepar3d level VR or no VR.  As for the hardware needed, today's $1500 computer will be a sub $800 computer in the not to distant future, so those of us with good systems now could enjoy it now the rest would just have to wait until they are ready to replace their old system, nothing really new about that.

i have a vive. Resolution is not the best. things up close look awesome, or games designed for vr specifically look fine...but normal games with small text and small details are hard to make out unless they are close up. its still amazing...

but i think we'll be in heaven when we can get 4k screens in there and an affordable graphics card that can do two 4k screens at the same time with decent graphics and 90+ fps. that will be insanely immersive and awesome. give it 5 years or less and we will be there i think.

15 hours ago, Corona688 said:

Oh, come on...!

This is what they've been telling us for 30 years, "VR isn't here tomorrow, it's here today!"  And then they tape an NTSC-resolution screen to your head and call it "VR".  Phone screens have proven they can do better, they no longer have any excuse.

Yeah. Give it a year, it'll be higher res than our eyes can manage ( don't forget you've got to drive the thing too ).

7 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Yeah. Give it a year, it'll be higher res than our eyes can manage ( don't forget you've got to drive the thing too ).

It's not the fact that they cant get 4k res screens into those things. Pretty sure they could....but there aren't any graphics cards that can dish out dual screen 4k at the frame rates you'd need for VR at the moment, and that's why I suspect we're stuck with the resolutions we have until the card performance catches up.

Pretty sure we don't need 4k for a screen basically sat on the eyes, we can do better than what we're being offered with existing gear.

Direct retinal projection is existing tech, even if it's not quite mass consumer tech - that should be a game-changer given it could offer AR as well as full VR. Want to launch from your table?

On 6/18/2016 at 7:39 PM, Corona688 said:

Oh, come on...!

Have you tried either the consumer Rift or Vive? I have them and I can tell you KSP will probably look great in it, at least in terms of resolution. The UI will need some work but vanilla spaceship stuff would be a non-issue.

• 4 months later...
On 4/13/2016 at 2:37 PM, Rocket Farmer said:

While that is interesting I think Microsoft Hololens would be better.

Imagine launching rockets off your living room table.  Doing landings onto your floor.  Doing docking maneuvers while you walk around each space craft to check angles.

The possibilities are endless.

A lot of people think of VR and immediately associate it with First Person. Look at a game called Tethered on Playstation VR, it is a god game where you manage a village of creatures mining resources and building structures, but it gives you an excellent overview of the map and allows you to switch view points quickly by looking at a different cloud in the sky.  Anyways, I think having a virtual map where you can do the same micromanagement would actually be more immersive than launching a rocket off your coffee table.

I do like the hololens but I actually think VR would be superior in this case because outside of the base management, you can pop into the first person and fly or explore. 

On 14/04/2016 at 5:24 PM, Pecan said:

Oh, in that case I will have to watch the market.  If they're co-operating on standards, that's a whole new game.

I wouldn't exactly say that Oculus are co-operating, quite the opposite, they have their store locked down, and have been buying out VR game startups which were going to release for both and locking them into Oculus only releases and are now using DRM to stop people using the Vive to play Oculus store games which was previously possible. 

Meanwhile Valve are playing pretty straight, although Vive is the official Steam partner they don't lock out Oculus headsets and they and HTC are not up to dirty tricks with takeovers or lockouts.  The Vive exclusives on steam are nearly all due to the requirement for motion controls and room scale movement. 

VR headsets are just a display and controller really, there's no need for a format war as games should be able to support both just like supporting different monitors or controllers, but Facebook need to recoup their investment and the way they want to succeed is making Oculus a platform, and having exclusives like a console.  I have a feeling they will fail because PC gamers don't like being treated like that and there will be a backlash, especially as more headsets come onto the market.  Ultimately they won't be able to stop the juggernaut that is Steam, and Valve just want to sell as many games to as many people as they can, so supporting as many headsets as possible will always be their goal. 

Entertaining idea.  I have the CV1 and VorpX, but I've had very little luck with it....I can't find any serious documentation on how to configure it, and it seems like the configuration is the key to enjoyable vs. nauseating experience.

On 13/4/2016 at 8:53 PM, nli2work said:

like I said before, it would take a huge art overhaul for KSP to look decent in VR. 

It's not just an art overhaul (which has to account, for instance, with the windows locations in the Pods. Do you really want to see space from across the tiny window of the Mk1 pod?), you need an interface overhaul. First, keyboard commands would be cumbersome because you can't see the keyboard, and I don't think KSP works well with joysticks.

Second, you need something to account for having the map view in a VR mode. VR is usually about first person, or over the shoulder, view. The map view is God's eye. IDK, I feel that part could work better if pressing the M key would take you to the KSC control center and the map view is the screen shown in your terminal. Look right and you have another kerbal looking into another terminal, someone far away is walking down the place with a coffee mug in his hand, on the other side another kerbal is fighting the goo container, etc. And maybe you can "switch" terminals  (ie, your position in the KSC control center) and get the Kerbnet, or Mechjeb panels ala the mod that adds MFDs to the IVAs (which should also be stock in a VR game).

Getting a game to work in VR means that it has to be designed for VR.

Bodging VR on afterwards just doesn't work.

All the "I'd love to play xyz in VR" is actually saying, "if it was designed for it from scratch".

It's been discussed for 20+ years in the the fps and flight sim community, it's an extremely dead horse.

There will be VR games off all kinds, but they will be designed as VR games.

Not patched in behind.

Just now, Curveball Anders said:

Bodging VR on afterwards just doesn't work.

Except a ton of games that added VR support afterwards, and works fantastically. It's funny you bring up the "flight sim community," since they are delighter with VR stuff added into the popular sims like DCS and FSX

Just now, juanml82 said:

Do you really want to see space from across the tiny window of the Mk1 pod

Then use a different pod

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.