One could say I've lost the space race, another one could say I've won.

Whirligig Girl

My early/middle-college American History II Teacher, Mr. Pike, has played Kerbal Space Program, and it's all my fault.

Recently, he challenged me to a *space race to the Mun!* Of course I had to accept. I was pretty confident that I would win. It took place during class. After he gave the class a short history test, I was ready to compete (of course he already had a head start) and I built a rather cool rocket call "Mr. Pike Is Definitely A Rather Indecent Person" (as response to his rocket, "GregroxMun Sux." In the end, he beat me to the Mun, but his rocket fell over. At the end of class he had built and was flying a rescue mission, while I was plotting my return from Mun to Kerbin.

But my quest was not to beat Mr. Pike to the Mun. In fact, my quest was to encourage a more scientifically literate classroom. I think I succeeded.

One could say

we lost the space race

one could say

we lost the space race 

one could say

we lost the space race

another one

could say we've won.

(link to song)

or maybe I'm just telling myself that to make me feel better.

Edited by GregroxMun

Just now, GregroxMun said:

They were mostly looking at Mr. Pike's big projector screen, but a few people gathered around me and my laptop.

You got to the Mun with a laptop?

That there is an achievement on its own!

(Assuming pre 1.1 version)

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

only play on my laptop (i7). It's a lot more powerful than the desktop in the house (i3)

an i7 isn't necessarily more powerful than an i3, especially if you're trying to compare laptop vs desktop processors

for example a Haswell i3 4370 desktop cpu is dual-core 3.8 GHz with 4MB L3 cache.  The laptop i7 range from 4500 to 4650 is also dual-core, and mostly much slower

This is another aspect of multiplayer I'd love to see players embrace.  You could even do it over skype, challenging a friend to a space race, or race to the north or south pole, or Duna, etc.

No need to sit on your hands waiting for an actual multiplayer mode to KSP when there are already so many opportunities to take advantage of.

1 hour ago, zarakon said:

an i7 isn't necessarily more powerful than an i3, especially if you're trying to compare laptop vs desktop processors

for example a Haswell i3 4370 desktop cpu is dual-core 3.8 GHz with 4MB L3 cache.  The laptop i7 range from 4500 to 4650 is also dual-core, and mostly much slower

Fair enough. The laptop is an i7-3630QM, 6MB L3, quad core @ 2.4 GHz (task manager reports peaks up to 3.2GHz; not sure exactly what that means), 8GB RAM and nvidia GT630m. The desktop is an i3-4170 dual core @ 3.7 GHZ, 8GB RAM, but really hamstrung by Intel HD4400 graphics and a crappy lo-profile, lo-power case that will be a pain to upgrade if it's even possible. I haven't spent a lot of time trying to optimize the settings for better KSP performance on the desktop, since it only holds my kids' attention for a launch or two. So Yeah, much better on the laptop, in my case.

Edit: @GregroxMun Sorry for derailing your thread. Good Job getting KSP on the big screen in your class!

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Playing on a wheezing 7 year old laptop, works fine. Ish. 

I like the race idea - I'm going to have to challenge a friend or two over Skype, should be fun...

Edited by BLUESTREAK
Fingers don't do what brain tells them

11 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Why not a race to the Moon in RSS/RO?

Rest in pieces laptop.

RO is optional. If we were to use SMURFF and a few extra part mods, it would be more reasonable. I actually considered this. I think I might try to get Alternis Kerbol and challenge Pike to a landing on some of the moons of Jool.

"Oh you think you can win all the time? Not in my playground, [expletive]!"

Edited by GregroxMun

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.