Mk3 cockpit question.

SpaceMouse

This has bothered me pretty much since the introduction of the mk3 cockpit so I'm just gonna ask it real quick. What's the whole front of it filled with? the crew cabin is up top, otherwise it seems like a enormous waste of space. You could put a massive amount of fuel/mono-propellant in there. Or probably a good 4 or 5 more Kerbals. I assume someone has probably mentioned this in the past. :D

Not just in the nose, but also under the cockpit floor. There's private rest/sleeping cabins for four and a hygiene facility. Look at the internal architecture of a yacht for instance, and you'll have a fair idea of how the Mk 3 is organized. And yes, lots of snacks and a gyro wheel.

The new Mk2 Inline Cockpit seems to have small corridors to the lower left and right of where the Kerbals sit. I'd expect the Mk3 Cockpit to have similar features, especially since it's so big.

This is what I'm referring to:

xnrcZMe.jpg

Edited by Rthsom

1 hour ago, Rthsom said:

The new Mk2 Inline Cockpit seems to have small corridors to the lower left and right of where the Kerbals sit. I'd expect the Mk3 Cockpit to have similar features, especially since it's so big.

That is a pretty new cockpit but the mk3 far predates it. Even the crew tube it obviously has wouldn't use that much room.

5 hours ago, Mr. Me said:

Hydrogen, it's super light and explains why the Cockpit explodes so easily.

the Mk3 cockpit is about the hardest piece to blow up in the whole game!  I have had countless launchpad cataclysms where the only surviving entity (including Space Center buildings) was the Mk3 cockpit.  I never include launch escape systems - that thing is the safest place my kerbals can be.

On 16 April 2016 at 8:24 PM, SpaceMouse said:

This has bothered me pretty much since the introduction of the mk3 cockpit so I'm just gonna ask it real quick. What's the whole front of it filled with? the crew cabin is up top, otherwise it seems like a enormous waste of space. You could put a massive amount of fuel/mono-propellant in there. Or probably a good 4 or 5 more Kerbals. I assume someone has probably mentioned this in the past. :D

It contains Jeb's secret stash of snacks scientific equipment. Also, Bill's model rocket collection  snacks, Val's designer EVA suits model rocket collection and Bob's scientific equipment designer EVA suits. A whole lot of stuff, actually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.