What's your preferred method of playing KSP?

ZooNamedGames

What do you use to play KSP?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What device do you use?

This SNES controller business sounds funny, but when you think about it, it's really just a tiny handheld keyboard with fewer buttons.  Basically WASD plus a couple of others in your hand.  So that makes some sense to me.

I've shied away from joysticks in the last few decades, as I've never found anything to replace my Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro.  Although successor joysticks sometimes had more features, and fewer limitations*, the 3D Pro had a finer, more precise stick, four axis analog control, a hat, and eight buttons (although the top one interfered with the hat a bit).   All the other joysticks I've tried since then are either fat and clumsy as heck (I have an $80 logitech somewhere that I pretty much use as a bookend, it's so clumsy that your best bet is to try to steer away from where you want to go-- assuming you can get out of it's massive physical dead zone--not sure why I didn't return it), are way too expensive (and thus untried and LOOK clumsy and fat), or lacking in features (like the USB sidewinder I have now - no hat, clumsy, fat).

* - the Sidewinder 3D Pro plugged into that 15-pin game port (usually found on sound cards), which meant you either had to disable most of the features, or switch it over to an enhanced protocol that's not supported by all software (and you still lost a small number of features from the other mode then).  I actually did some programming with that nasty 15-pin thing port back in the day, and I can't say I miss it, even if it is about a ten thousand times less bloated (NOT hyperbole, by the way) than a modern USB stack.

17 minutes ago, Mrsupersonic8 said:

I'd love to use a joystick, but I don't have the money to buy a decent one nor the patience to set it up.

I'm so old and grumpy that I nicked the X-box controller I use from my well paid sysdev middle son.

I had the patience to raise him, so I can nick his abandoned controller.

And even with Unity, installing controllers take less patience than kids ...

13 hours ago, Frank_G said:

I am using the X-55 Rhino, but i am planning to buy the Thrustmaster Warthog as well. I am currently checking, what pedals i will buy. Can you recommend the ones you use?

So far i am tending to buy the Saitek Combat Rudders, as they are partially made out of metal.

I'm happy with the Saitek Pros, but the Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals are undeniably better. I don't fly rotary-wing aircraft, so I can go cheap on the pedals.

I've been keyboard and mouse since I started playing back in 2012.  I tried to get that exact same joystick to work in the OP a few years ago, but it was less than successful.  I'm assuming it works these days since you posted it in your image.  I guess I should give it a try again.  Thanks for the inspiration!  :)

4 hours ago, SuperFastJellyfish said:

I've been keyboard and mouse since I started playing back in 2012.  I tried to get that exact same joystick to work in the OP a few years ago, but it was less than successful.  I'm assuming it works these days since you posted it in your image.  I guess I should give it a try again.  Thanks for the inspiration!  :)

It still doesn't, the Fly-By-Wire mod makes it work though!

• 3 years later...

Holy thread necro batman !

And I use keyboard and mouse.  I stopped using joysticks when they stopped making good flight sims/space sims.  I still own one when I fire up Red Baron 3D for a few dogfights, and my gamer hand muscles feel all sore when I do... Man I'm getting old, lol !

For all my years playing KSP and other flight related games, I've always stuck to my mouse and keyboard. Funny thing is, a few weeks ago a package came in from the mail and it wasn't inside a cardboard box or anything, so I saw the box of the actual product. And lo and behold, it turns out my parents got me a joystick that I'll have to wait until Christmas to get. :)

I'm pretty excited, since I've recently been wanting a proper joystick but I would only sometimes use my xbox controller if I was really bored that day.

So to answer the question, it's pretty much gonna be mouse and keyboard, but hopefully I can get in the joystick game soon! :D

Edited by UltimateFlash15

I can't believe I'm the first person who voted for the generic game pad controller. I can joystick so much more accurately with my thumb than I can with my wrist, and the available axes, buttons, and HAT switch fit all the things I need to do continually while flying so well. I use the keyboard for everything that won't fit on the controller and the mouse to select in all the map modes. I'm left-handed, so for me the left joystick is yaw/pitch, and the the right is roll/translate U/d. Translate F/B, L/R is the HAT switch. Throttle up/down is the left trigger buttons, and toggle SAS/RCS is the right ones. I use the top buttons for staging, cut throttle, full throttle, brakes, and toggle gear. I find I can fly planes that way with only a handful of keystrokes to invoke action groups. I can hardly imagine playing any other way, TBH.

Edited by herbal space program

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.