Kryoworks.com Kerbal Mod Emporium

KryoWorks

fO5wgnH.jpg

An Alpha release of the website. Questions answered below.

Q: What is the website for?

A: Hosting mods...thats it.

Q: Whats the domain?

A: www.kryoworks.com

CURRENTLY THERE ARE NO MODS UPLOADED, I BROUGHT THE SITE ONLINE TO ALLOW MOD DEVELOPERS TO UPLOAD THEIR MODS AND TO TEST THE WEBSITES STABILITY.

Edited by OOmuutheunmerciful
EDIT DOMAIN CHANGE

That is incorrect 

Hello everyone!

We’re receiving a lot (a lot!) of emails, messages and tweets with questions about what happened to KerbalStuff, what our response to the statement currently on the website is, and if we could step in to take over the website. Because KerbalStuff was arguably the most popular third party community website we feel it’s important to share our view on the events of the past few days.

To understand the position KerbalStuff had in the community it’s important to go back to its roots. Back in the day we hosted our own mod repository named SpacePort. It was a very simple system based off a Wordpress platform and maintaining was, well, not the easiest thing. In 2014 we had come to the point where we had to decide on the future of that service. We were faced with one of two options: rebuild the SpacePort platform from the ground up and continue to invest significant amount time, or outsource the mod repository. We eventually opted for the latter and partnered with the Curse network.

During that time the community had also started the process of creating a community-run Spaceport replacement (the “Majiir challenge”). When we announced our partnership with Curse that effort picked up steam and Sircmpwn’s proposal called KerbalStuff was born. KerbalStuff grew to be (one of) the biggest mod repositories for Kerbal Space Program. It featured tight integration with CKAN, a mod manager that many players and modders use. Although the website was initially hosted by Majiir, Sircmpwn moved the website to his own servers after some months of operation and Majiir is no longer involved.

Lately, Kerbalstuff had grown to the point where the current hosting was no longer adequate. This is definitely a testament to the website’s popularity in the KSP community. This week, the website went blank and ultimately came back with the message that it had been closed down. It’s fair to say that this took everyone by surprise. Given that KerbalStuff was an independent website, closing the service is Sircmpwn’s personal decision, and we had no part in it. We have not received a request to help with or take control of the website prior or after the shutdown, nor are we aware of anyone who was asked to help or take over Kerbalstuff.

The message that Sircmpwn put up on the website cites that a lack of interest in continuing the service is the reason for its closure. The reasoning behind the apathy contained, and still contains, elements that we disagree with. Because these arguments have caused a lot of.. let’s call it passionate questions in our direction we feel compelled to reply to them.

Firstly, we were blamed for continuing to support Curse as the official mod repository, in spite of KerbalStuff hosting more mods. The reason for this lies in the history of the website’s creation: it was developed specifically to be an unofficial, independent alternative to the official mod repository. Curse provided, and still provides, a stable platform for uploading mods and other ingame content, and we have no reason to end our partnership with them. Because of those two arguments, we never explored the possibility of making KerbalStuff the ‘official’ mod repository. At this time similar arguments can be made for other community initiatives, such as KerbalX, CKAN or the KSP Subreddit.

Related to KerbalStuff not being an official website, we were blamed for never mentioning KerbalStuff in public. Although we did not link to KerbalStuff from the game’s launcher, Kerbal Space Program itself or our websites, we did often talk about it in community conversations, forum posts, and on social media. We never actively promoted the website, but we feel we certainly didn’t ignore it. Many people who work for Squad have expressed their fondness of the website, and the developers who work on the game sometimes also had mods on the website.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, was the accusation that we threatened the website with legal action. We would like to stress that no such thing happened. Back in 2014 when the website was being developed we were in the process of acquiring a trademark on the word Kerbal, and part of the obligations one has as a trademark holder is to investigate possible infringements of your trademark. Failure to do so may invalidate the trademark entirely at a later point. To this end we talked to the people behind Kerbalstuff to determine what the website was going to be, and several scenarios were discussed briefly including possibly renaming KerbalStuff. As it was to be a non-commercial community website it quickly became clear that no legal action was warranted against KerbalStuff, and we never pursued legal action against Kerbalstuff or any other community website for using the phrase Kerbal in its name. We’re thankful that Sircmpwn has since retracted this part of the statement from the Kerbalstuff website, but we’ve received a lot of questions about it.

It’s probably time to wrap up this post, but we couldn’t possibly do that before thanking Sircmpwn for his efforts that undoubtedly benefited the community. Maintaining a service like KerbalStuff is both costly and time consuming, and not many people would step up to do what Sircmpwn did. Thank you.

Currently the KSP community is already working on an alternative website (working name SpaceDock) based on the open source framework of Kerbalstuff. We hope that this new website will fill a void for many people. At the moment of writing it does not seem to be the case that Sircmpwn will allow this new team to use the KerbalStuff name, domain registration or user and mod database. That means the website will largely have to start over, but if help is needed we’re ready to look at ways in which we could support it. Meanwhile people are free to upload and share mods from any source they wish; we can happily recommend Curse for this purpose, at the very least as a stopgap measure.

Thanks again to Sircmpwn and Majiir for running this amazing website, an even bigger thanks to our amazing modding community and the best wishes to the team picking up where KerbalStuff left off.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

You do realize Squad brought a motion to sue the owner of KerbalStuff for it's name... right?

Yeah, but it's KerbalStuff V.2, not just KerbalStuff. Loophole aquired.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

That is correct. It was mentioned by the site owner as the websites final closing page.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, was the accusation that we threatened the website with legal action. We would like to stress that no such thing happened. Back in 2014 when the website was being developed we were in the process of acquiring a trademark on the word Kerbal, and part of the obligations one has as a trademark holder is to investigate possible infringements of your trademark. Failure to do so may invalidate the trademark entirely at a later point. To this end we talked to the people behind Kerbalstuff to determine what the website was going to be, and several scenarios were discussed briefly including possibly renaming KerbalStuff. As it was to be a non-commercial community website it quickly became clear that no legal action was warranted against KerbalStuff, and we never pursued legal action against Kerbalstuff or any other community website for using the phrase Kerbal in its name. We’re thankful that Sircmpwn has since retracted this part of the statement from the Kerbalstuff website, but we’ve received a lot of questions about it.

WE already have McDonalds..why do we have Burger King, Wendys, White Castle, Krystals, Rallys, Arbys etc. Although the other websites are there, there ar epeople like me that do not liek the way they work. This is not a catchall website to end all issues with finding organized lists of mods, it is simply a preference.

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

What's the IP? Also, maybe it could be something for craft sharing!

kerbalstuff.org, CraftSharing? Clarify please

Just now, tg626 said:

Did you get the artists permission to use those graphics?

I have 

Hello! Sure, go ahead :D It's a shame that KerbalStuff is gone - I got plenty of mods from there, and it's missing has certainly messed up my CKAN :/ So I'm all in if you want to ressurect it :)

----------
Ilovemeekadoo said the following:

Good Morning, I am currently in the process of reviving Kerbal Space Programs popular third party mod kommunity. I enjoy your art and I am looking for some artwork for the website. I was wondering if I may use some of yours. You will be credited of course and a link will be sent to you DA page for all to see. If interested please contact me.

Heh ok sure, sounds great :) Let me know if you need a specific resolution or if you have logo for you site i can put it on the image instead of the standard ksp logo. And thanks for asking!

----------

Most def in a sexual way! Lol No, I am the proud new owner of KerbalStuff.Org Just a ksp mod community. Thought your poster would be a great opening picture of the homepage

----------
wild7even said the following:

...in a sexual way? Please define ;P

----------

May I use your kerbal space program poster?

Just now, tg626 said:
Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

200Kb

:cool: So many just right click and save without ever asking and or crediting DA artists.

I wouldnt do that I'm a concept/graphic designer myself....as far as the craft sharing..sure I cam implement that in a few mins.

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

200Kb

Done.

2 minutes ago, tg626 said:

I'd say stick with your own vision.  Why look like a knockoff or make it so one site is easily confused with the other?

I agree with you on a personal level, but on a wider scale..It is a community website (hopefully). Maybe I'm just trying to be a perfectionist. 

happy to see about 120 people currently on the website, and it shows no sign of caving or overloading. 

anyone got the links for the other aforementioned mod hosting sites, I would like to put their links up on here as alternatives just in case someone dosent find what they need on here.