Kryoworks.com Kerbal Mod Emporium

KryoWorks

So you have no Terms of Service, no End User License Agreement, and no rules or guidelines about what can be uploaded (maximum file size, upload time, file types, anything)

You also have no information about the technical aspects of your server or internet connection, or any indication that you have any experience in administrating a large webservice like this.

You aren't giving anyone any reason to entrust their work to you other than a nice looking webdesign. What you are aiming to do is expensive and a lot of work, and if you want people to upload things to you, they must trust you, and without any sort of ToS/EULA to govern the mountain of license/ownership issues you are now stepping into, they simply cannot do that. Much less trust you enough to donate money to keep the site running.

I applaud your desire to learn how to do this, and to provide a service to the community, but you have only accounted for one very small slice of running this sort of operation, and you are NOT ready to be live on the internet. You need to step back and consider these other issues and examine how other sites handle them.

As it stands I find it unlikely any major mod developers would use this, and I would urge any newer developers to be careful.

Edited by Tiberion

Hello, from spacedock here o/

If you need statistics, spacedock only has about 2-10 requests a second, and I believe the site sits in the 100-300GB/day range. Also you definitely won't please everyone, but it's good to have a clear vision in mind and talk to modders about what they'd need in the site. I do like the sites visual style though.

Anyway, good luck, and have fun :)

7 hours ago, Tiberion said:

So you have no Terms of Service, no End User License Agreement, and no rules or guidelines about what can be uploaded (maximum file size, upload time, file types, anything)

You also have no information about the technical aspects of your server or internet connection, or any indication that you have any experience in administrating a large webservice like this.

You aren't giving anyone any reason to entrust their work to you other than a nice looking webdesign. What you are aiming to do is expensive and a lot of work, and if you want people to upload things to you, they must trust you, and without any sort of ToS/EULA to govern the mountain of license/ownership issues you are now stepping into, they simply cannot do that. Much less trust you enough to donate money to keep the site running.

I applaud your desire to learn how to do this, and to provide a service to the community, but you have only accounted for one very small slice of running this sort of operation, and you are NOT ready to be live on the internet. You need to step back and consider these other issues and examine how other sites handle them.

As it stands I find it unlikely any major mod developers would use this, and I would urge any newer developers to be careful.

I do not see any point in Spacedock and I not getting along, you are not going to lose any visitors.

Edited by OOmuutheunmerciful
Had my morning coffee

Also, upon uploading content. The website does limit you on file size, and type. 

and as far as server specs:

4 x E5-4603 v2 2.2GHz Ivy Bridge Xenon Processors 16 + Hyper-Threading (Cores)

64GB Memory

100TB Transfer

2.5 TB SSD Storage.

I also have put up a EULA/TOS

8 hours ago, OOmuutheunmerciful said:

I do not see any point in Spacedock and I not getting along, you are not going to lose any visitors.

I have absolutely no affiliation with Spacedock or any other content hosting site. I'm just a modder who has been around a while and seen a fair number of mod hosts come and go. I was trying to let you know about some issues you might want to look at.

So, maybe you weren't looking for that sort of stuff, so I won't continue. Thanks for the new info you posted. Your EULA/TOS is... a start.

Good luck.

24 minutes ago, Tiberion said:

I have absolutely no affiliation with Spacedock or any other content hosting site. I'm just a modder who has been around a while and seen a fair number of mod hosts come and go. I was trying to let you know about some issues you might want to look at.

So, maybe you weren't looking for that sort of stuff, so I won't continue. Thanks for the new info you posted. Your EULA/TOS is... a start.

Good luck.

Sorry quoted you for some reason, didnt mean too...

and no, on the contrary I thank you for your observation, which is why I started on a EULA/TOS any other suggestions are absolutley welcome

Your "check out" link to the artists who provided the artwork is just a link to Google, though the "Artist Credits" button works fine.

Coming from someone who doesn't use mods and has no experience using such a website, I found the the place attractive and easy to navigate, though it will be interesting to see how it feels when you have a large number of mods.

Your "Other Mod Sites" also links to the general KSP Reddit and the official KSP forums. Perhaps it would be more useful to link directly to the Add-on Releases subforum or possibly this helpful list by @nismobg (and any equivalent section Reddit might have) or alternatively change the button to "links" for consistency.

Just a little feedback. Thanks for doing this for the community.

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

Your "check out" link to the artists who provided the artwork is just a link to Google, though the "Artist Credits" button works fine.

Coming from someone who doesn't use mods and has no experience using such a website, I found the the place attractive and easy to navigate, though it will be interesting to see how it feels when you have a large number of mods.

Your "Other Mod Sites" also links to the general KSP Reddit and the official KSP forums. Perhaps it would be more useful to link directly to the Add-on Releases subforum or possibly this helpful list by @nismobg (and any equivalent section Reddit might have) or alternatively change the button to "links" for consistency.

Just a little feedback. Thanks for doing this for the community.

Will fix it thank you!

made the changes you requested..however im not a reddit user, so i do not know how to really navigate the site. could you link me to the sub

Just now, legoclone09 said:

Site looks awesome! I really like the design and it seems like it will be a good alternative to SpaceDock.

thanks, i need someone to upload their mod lol to ge tthe ball rolling so I can test some things out...as soon as that gets going i can finalize a few things

2 hours ago, OOmuutheunmerciful said:

thanks, i need someone to upload their mod lol to ge tthe ball rolling so I can test some things out...as soon as that gets going i can finalize a few things

I just uploaded my mod. It's Tantares Fairing Extension.

10 hours ago, OOmuutheunmerciful said:

...im not a reddit user, so i do not know how to really navigate the site. could you link me to the sub

I'm not a Reddit user either, but this seems to be the closest Reddit has to it.

A little more feedback:

• A minor issue, but "this websites..." should read "this website's..."
  • I would agree that using the Kerbalstuff name makes it appear to be from the same person/team as the old one, or at least done with his blessing.
  • The site doesn't work well in narrow screen resolutions, such as when using the browser in side-by-side mode:

Kerbalstuddv2testing.jpg

7 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Have you checked with @SirCmpwn about using the KerbalStuff name? There's a reason SpaceDock goes under the name it does:

.org is a fully seperate domain, as well as sircmpwn, not having rights to the word Kerbal, however, if the issue is with the name itself. If he renews his domain and brings kerbalstuff.com back online as stated I will gladly turn the reins back over to them. Out of curiosity, if spacedock got permission from squad to use spacedock name?

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

I'm not a Reddit user either, but this seems to be the closest Reddit has to it.

A little more feedback:

• A minor issue, but "this websites..." should read "this website's..."
  • I would agree that using the Kerbalstuff name makes it appear to be from the same person/team as the old one, or at least done with his blessing.
  • The site doesn't work well in narrow screen resolutions, such as when using the browser in side-by-side mode:

Will fix it asap.

3 minutes ago, OOmuutheunmerciful said:

Out of curiosity, if spacedock got permission from squad to use spacedock name?

The one Squad used to have was called Spaceport, I believe.

8 minutes ago, Deddly said:

The one Squad used to have was called Spaceport, I believe.

Ah, you're correct. Well if the name is causing such an issue I will change it after I make contact with sircmpn

The issue I am having problems understand is why do spacedock admins have such an issue with another mod site and on the other hand alot of people like the idea. I also do not see the typo you mentioned what page is it on.

Edited by OOmuutheunmerciful
typos

21 minutes ago, OOmuutheunmerciful said:

I also do not see the typo you mentioned what page is it on.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's in Artist Credits:

"Wild7evens' artwork is a great example of someone who is dedicated to their art. His passion can be clearly seen in the quality of his artwork and the detail in every piece of art he creates. Upon looking through art for us to use for KerbalStuff V.2, his work and his alone was the only suitable option we saw to use for the websites background."

1 hour ago, OOmuutheunmerciful said:

The issue I am having problems understand is why do spacedock admins have such an issue with another mod site

The only public reactions of SpaceDock admins that I've seen seemed peaceful and even encouraging, so I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that they have any issue with it.

Even right in this thread, just a few posts before yours:

On 4/17/2016 at 9:06 AM, godarklight said:

Hello, from spacedock here o/

If you need statistics, spacedock only has about 2-10 requests a second, and I believe the site sits in the 100-300GB/day range. Also you definitely won't please everyone, but it's good to have a clear vision in mind and talk to modders about what they'd need in the site. I do like the sites visual style though.

Anyway, good luck, and have fun :)

I dunno, to me this looks pretty agreeable, even supportive.

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

The only public reactions of SpaceDock admins that I've seen seemed peaceful and even encouraging, so I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that they have any issue with it.

Even right in this thread, just a few posts before yours:

I dunno, to me this looks pretty agreeable, even supportive.

I'm guessing either something that we don't know of, as you said, the only ones YOU have seen are peaceful and encouraging. Now I don't support either KS V2 or SpaceDock, but I think the two sites could gain a lot by actively working together. (Not meaning to sound mean here) Since KS V2 is the less popular choice (it has less hosted mods) then it would be an amazing backup plan is SpaceDock goes down, whether it be temporarily or permanently. Now, I haven't visited KS V2 yet but I have seen craft sharing be mentioned, and if it has been added then KS V2 is also a good backup for KerbalX. Modders would like a good diversity for mod hosting sites (and possibly craft makers too) so this is a win-win for everyone. KerbalX gets a backup, SpaceDock gets a backup, Modders get a variety in mod hosting sites, and craft sharers get a variety too. The only way this could go wrong is if the admins from KerbalX or SpaceDock start getting aggressive towards KS V2, but this is unlikely because the whole KSP community is as positive as a proton. (might be a bit off on my chemistry there, I'm presuming half of all electrons are positively charged)

Edited by Sharkman Briton