A Kerbal Funeral

Planetfall

One of my brave Kerbonauts, Katbe kerman, died today from unknown causes. A week of mourning has descended upon the KSC and the fledgling Munar colony she had briefly called her home.

Caroletti, Katbe's closest friend asked for a flag to be placed in memory of Katbe at her favorite flying sight, the old airstrip. All kerbonouts Stationed at KSC  attended the funeral. Those abroad listened to the far well ceremony through their ship radios. hiqeHM7.jpgKatbe's three good friends remembering the times they had together...

WNAabPu.png 

The Sacred lines of the Stardwellers...  

XabHOQ8.jpgthe night long vigil...

oI5TXxw.jpgAnd the rising sun.

A new dawn, a new day, a new light.

Has anyone else given their departed  a funeral or ceremony?  

Edited by Planetfall

3 hours ago, Planetfall said:

Long ago, but that as back before I knew how to built rockets that would get to orbit.  Since then, though many Kerbals have perished far from Kerbin, everybody just shrugs and goes on.

I do, but in a far more simple manner - I stick a flag near the astronaut complex saying something along the lines of "in memory of Jebidiah, killed on day 231 of the programme, whilst landing the XR-1 high speed research jet. Cause of accident was controlled flight into terrain". Something brief, saying who, when, and how, so I won't be so stupid next time!

Edited by BLUESTREAK
Fat fingers on a tiny screen

I didn't need to hold such a ceremony so far (In prerelease, that is). But before then, every KIA got a flag at the astronaut complex. They weren't numerous, the glorious ol' days of going out in a blaze of glory (pun intended :P) are looooong gone for me... 

On 2016-04-17 at 9:45 PM, Planetfall said:

No, but it has happened that I've said "<explicit> this" after a bad launch, and gone to the pub.

Then I reverted the save or launched a rescue mission to get the poor bugger the next evening :wink:

• 1 month later...

We launched a FunSat (Funeral Satellite) in honour of Lizzy Kerman, lost recently in Munar orbit during a mysterious accident while attempting rendevouz. As the FunSat was getting the first of a series of gravity assists towards her final resting place in the outer system, Kerbol, Kerbin and Mun cooperated in paying last respects with a fitting orbital dance.

The first Kerb I landed on Eve - Thornberry Kerman - is the only Kerb I think I've had deserving of such a send off, but to the best of my knowledge he's still living there in a den made out of his Spaceplane... at least I assume he is, I haven't tried to run that particular save file in a long long time. :blush:

Rest in peace, Billy-Bobbles.

His missions:

Annie

Pinkslip

Marta

Olympus

Huey

Sam

Mana

Link

Curiosity

G-Force

MSL - Munar Scientific Lander

Mario-2 - his last flight.

His achievements:

The first Kerman to leave the atmosphere on a spaceplane. (Huey mission)

Lunar Module commander (MSL mission)

Von Kerman award for moving field science forward.

Experiencing the most G-Forces in history - 216 g. (G-Force mission)

Capturing a malfunctioning space probe on high kerbin orbit (Pinkslip mission)

First Kerman to land on the South Pole (Olympus mission)

sXuXKjc.jpg

Courage: 62% Stupidity: 3%

Edited by awfulhumanbeing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.