[1.3.0] KSP Chroma Control

FauserneEist

I've checked out the pre-release.

I've been able to elicit the crash and splashdown animations but only one time per game session each. They won't show up again unless I restart the game, at which time they work again, but only one time each.

I must say the animations are nicely done and a very nice touch :)

The altimeter baffles me however. It definitely works as in the light gradients across the keys, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

On 3-5-2016 at 1:26 PM, FauserneEist said:

Yeah, I might change the values for each key. Displaying the height of one million meters isn't that useful after all. When landed, your altitude above ground is exactly zero so that seems to be correct. I managed to land on the Mun with it very easily but I can see how that's not helpful on higher gravity bodies. Out of control animation is only supposed to go off when you can't control the ship anymore because you have no power. A manned pod can always be controlled when the power is out (would be effin annoying otherwise, don't you think?). Crash only triggers, when the vessel's root part crashes. I don't know if the game makes the "control from here"-enabled part the root part or not. I'll investigate...

Thanks for the feedback. :-)

You're welcome.

Testing the crash animation, was with a simple rocket, no changes in root object, just a pod, fuel and a engine. No "control from here" action.

Hi guys,

might I bother you again to test the current pre-release? Most of the animation-related bugs should now be fixed and the altimeter seems to be much more useful right now (only 4 keys, using the scale 10-50-100-1000). As I mentioned before, it's a tool meant to help to land on a surface using only thrusters. I had trouble landing on the Mun and Minmus because the ground is not always at 0 meters. If you can't see your shadow there, you pretty much rely on spinning the camera around the craft like mad. I'm now able to land on the mun without much problems. using the altimeter.

I tested for most of the issues you reported, they seem to be gone. I can't reproduce the issue @revenger had, though :-(

I hope I got all bugs that posed serious problems.

Have fun :-)

BTW: The current version supports Razer mice, the headset and the mousepad as well, so feel free to give that a go :-). Electricity and heat are displayed on the mouse and the pad. The headset just displays heat, because I can only control one LED.

Edit: Uh, I can use the headset to tell my girlfriend, if I'm available or "do not disturb" at the moment: green for quicksave is possible, red if you can't quicksave right now. On it...

Edited by FauserneEist

6 hours ago, OneEyedBob said:

I haven't tested it extensively but so far everything seems to be working very well. The animations appear to be working reliably, although admittedly I haven't tried the dead probe or non-stock parts yet.

Non-stock parts shouldn't be a problem, as long as they work in a similar way as the stock ones do. The vessel object has an attribute called isCommandable. I use that along with the power remaining to determine whether to play the animation or not.

On 22.4.2016 at 3:59 AM, Rohaq said:

Blackwidow Chroma here - Does anyone else have any issues with their layout constantly flashing from their default profile and the KSP Chroma profile?

On 22.4.2016 at 5:01 PM, Rohaq said:

1. Yes, and it's highest priority.

2. It's instant, I can definitely see your layout appearing, but my keyboard keeps trying to revert to my previous colour profile, flashing constantly. If I switch to a colour profile with zero backlighting on my keys, the flashing stops.

3. I'll drop you a PM!

Sorry to take so long to answer. Can you try again with the latest version of the mod? I moved a lot of stuff around that might have fixed your issue. Also, try placing the ChromaApp.xml file from the zip in the KSP root folder, a friend of mine pointed out, that this resolved similar issues with his Chroma app.

I've messed with it and played for a few hours now. Everything seems to work great :D

I used a Pioneer probe from FASA and the out of control animation works well. I rode the probe into the atmosphere and after it blew up I switched to a piece of debris, followed that to the ground and got the crash animation on the debris as well.

fwiw I have not had to move any files, I just dropped the KSP chroma control folder into my GameData directory (Steam version, Win10 x64).

The altimeter F1 - F4 is great for final approach. Maybe look at different scaling for F6-F8 and F10-F12? Say in roughly middle and upper atmo altitude ranges? afaik these are the only keys that don't work for me but judging from the posts it sounds like you're still working on this bit.

Overall it adds really nice touches to the game!

On 3-5-2016 at 1:26 PM, FauserneEist said:

Yeah, I might change the values for each key. Displaying the height of one million meters isn't that useful after all. When landed, your altitude above ground is exactly zero so that seems to be correct. I managed to land on the Mun with it very easily but I can see how that's not helpful on higher gravity bodies. Out of control animation is only supposed to go off when you can't control the ship anymore because you have no power. A manned pod can always be controlled when the power is out (would be effin annoying otherwise, don't you think?). Crash only triggers, when the vessel's root part crashes. I don't know if the game makes the "control from here"-enabled part the root part or not. I'll investigate...

Thanks for the feedback. :-)

May i make a suggestion for the altimeter?

What about using color for scale. So using Red, then altimeter is scale 1 (1..10. Orange for scale 10 (10..100), Yellow for 100 (100-1000), Green (1000..10.000), etc....

On 9.5.2016 at 7:03 AM, revenger said:

May i make a suggestion for the altimeter?

What about using color for scale. So using Red, then altimeter is scale 1 (1..10. Orange for scale 10 (10..100), Yellow for 100 (100-1000), Green (1000..10.000), etc....

Thats not a bad idea, I'll put that on the todo.

2 hours ago, FauserneEist said:

Thats not a bad idea, I'll put that on the todo.

I'm also using mod Landing Height Display to standard display height above terrain, which is of course different than altitude. I would prefer the 'altimeter' to use the same. But I can imagine not all would like that. So perhaps a settings to choose what you want would be nice.

18 minutes ago, revenger said:

I'm also using mod Landing Height Display to standard display height above terrain, which is of course different than altitude. I would prefer the 'altimeter' to use the same. But I can imagine not all would like that. So perhaps a settings to choose what you want would be nice.

The altimeter currently shows the distance between the ground and the lowest part of the vessel, so it's not really an altimeter. I don't see the sense in replicating the number on your screen with something far more vague. Basically the current implementation results in zero, no matter if you land in water or on the mountains. If you touch the ground, your height above ground is zero. Thats where all the numbers come from.

On 10-5-2016 at 9:23 PM, FauserneEist said:

The altimeter currently shows the distance between the ground and the lowest part of the vessel, so it's not really an altimeter. I don't see the sense in replicating the number on your screen with something far more vague. Basically the current implementation results in zero, no matter if you land in water or on the mountains. If you touch the ground, your height above ground is zero. Thats where all the numbers come from.

Great...that's what I prefer.

I've now had a fair bit more time with it.

I haven't run into any issues yet AFAIK.

Not a bug but an FYI: when undocking from a space station initially the fuel level indicators don't light but all you have to do is stage the engine and they show up. I believe you referred to this type of behaviour in a prior post and it relates to how the mod pulls the info from the game.

It's worth mentioning that I do run it with a lot of other mods: KAC, toolbar, mechjeb, FASA, KWRocketry, ScanSat, Capcom, EVE, scatterer, realplume, coolrockets, RPM, engine lighting, and their dependencies like MM. Everything seems to play nice together :D

I'm going to have to wait some time before I can actually see this in action, as my Chroma keyboards are currently in storage, but I'm very excited to see that this exists and is up to date with the latest game version.

Are you sure we the community can't talk you into making a demo and posting it on YouTube? It sounds like a great show piece.

10 hours ago, dgw said:

I'm going to have to wait some time before I can actually see this in action, as my Chroma keyboards are currently in storage, but I'm very excited to see that this exists and is up to date with the latest game version.

Are you sure we the community can't talk you into making a demo and posting it on YouTube? It sounds like a great show piece.

I'm planning on filming the keyboard at night and using NVIDIA-Whatchamacallit to make a screencast. I didn't find the time yet, because my brother moved house (yay renovating) and I got my masters thesis sneeking in on me with tedious measurement work regularly. Maybe next week but no promises. Once I got that video material, I'll send it to Razer. They offered to make a video about it but they don't have the time to play the game long enough to get into orbit and run out of electricity (understandably). I think if I provide them with the footage they might be able to create something way more awesome than I ever could. If not, I'll just ask one of you guys to Michael Bay some explosions into a demo video :-P

Shadowplay works, or you can try OBS Studio if it doesn't. (Other options like Bandicam and Fraps are paid, so likely not worth getting for a single capture session unless you really can't make something else work.)

Don't stress over getting it done in the next few weeks—really. I did just find out about this mod yesterday, so it's not like I've been waiting for ages. :wink: Best to focus on your thesis, really. A demo will get done when it gets done—and well, if you wait until you have time to spend.

Amusing that Razer, a gaming hardware company, don't have time to play a game long enough to make a complete demo of a featured third-party integration. It shouldn't take that long to run out of electricity anyway, if they put the right parts on the rocket.

34 minutes ago, dgw said:

Amusing that Razer, a gaming hardware company, don't have time to play a game long enough to make a complete demo of a featured third-party integration. It shouldn't take that long to run out of electricity anyway, if they put the right parts on the rocket.

The people at Razer have been nothing but supportive, but you know the game... Running out of electricity on the launch pad just isn't as spectacular as crashing into the Mun because you forgot to open your solar panels on time ;-). 

Edited by FauserneEist
Mun, I said Mun, honestly, I never said moon

• 1 month later...

I've got a problem with the pattern from the KSP main menu sticking as my keyboard colour scheme after quitting the game. Restarting the Chroma app, and the Razer services, none of it seems to fix it. Not sure about unplugged, since I don't want to go crawling around on the floor behind my PC. I tend just to reboot to fix it.

1 minute ago, Rohaq said:

I've got a problem with the pattern from the KSP main menu sticking as my keyboard colour scheme after quitting the game. Restarting the Chroma app, and the Razer services, none of it seems to fix it. Not sure about unplugged, since I don't want to go crawling around on the floor behind my PC. I tend just to reboot to fix it.

Does KSP properly exit once you quit via the menu? Try looking into the windows task manager and look for ksp_x64.exe. If that is still running, try forcing this process to quit. Other people reported problems when using custom color schemes. You can try to switch to the default color scheme and see if that fixes it. Lastly, try to disable Chroma Apps from within synapse and see if that works. This should force all applications manipulating your keyboard to stop doing so. 

Unfortunately I can't fix this issue from my side, since all of the solutions above only fix issues with the Chroma SDK. You could send a bug report to Razer and see if they do something about it...

Yep, exited properly, and not an issue with any other Chroma apps. Changing colour schemes and disabling Chroma Apps within Razer Synapse doesn't do anything either. I'll see what I can band together in terms of clues.

Edited by Rohaq

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, The L3mur said:

Thanks for making this! I haven't actually tested it out as I'm waiting for all my chroma stuff to arrive, but I imagine it will be an amazing light show when it's all up and running.

Hope you enjoy it :-) Let me know if you need any features not implemented yet... If I find the time, I might be able to implement them :-)

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.