I'm coming into some money soon. What should I get?

kenbobo

Hey guys!

I'm working this summer and plan to be getting upwards of 1,200$ after taxes. I'm a techie, and I've had my eye on the Apple Watch. I know there is a second revision coming out in less than 3 months, and that's what I'd get.

I'm also looking into a macbook pro.

Any suggestions?

8 hours ago, kenbobo said:

Hey guys!

I'm working this summer and plan to be getting upwards of 1,200$ after taxes. I'm a techie, and I've had my eye on the Apple Watch. I know there is a second revision coming out in less than 3 months, and that's what I'd get.

I'm also looking into a macbook pro.

Any suggestions?

A PC? Just kidding :D but all my ideas are PC-oriented :(

For example: Get a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, a TrackIR, DCS world and some of the single-aircraft modules (recommend the Ka-50 and MiG 21 for advanced flight models) and see what aerodynamic models are supposed to feel like :D

I have an iWatch (first gen). My dad gave it to me as a birthday present. It's a great thing to be given as a gift, but I'd not buy one I think.

Pluses: 

The fitbit-like functionality is great.

Texts, etc on my wrist are nice (if you are in a meeting, or otherwise unable to check your phone without being impolite, it's nice to be able to triage messages).

Control of my music/podcasts when hiking, etc.

Minuses:

Expensive.

Battery life. It needs to be charged every night if you use a lot of the apps that drain it---we're taking the kids to Italy this summer, and I won't take it, I think, just another thing to have to worry about charging.

So I end up using it, and I do like it, but it's not worth the cash (unless there are cheaper ones out soon), IMO. IO might just be a cheapskate, lol. My wife has one as well (dad got her one for her birthday), but she wears her fitbit every day, and the iwatch only sometimes.

Edited by tater

46 minutes ago, tater said:

Gist of it- wouldn't buy, good gift

Ok, thanks for that. I've had my eye on it and I might get it. I still don't know.

3 hours ago, Ten Key said:

It's never too early to start saving for retirement. :)

Saving 10% of all of my income for savings.

7 hours ago, p1t1o said:

A PC? Just kidding :D but all my ideas are PC-oriented :(

For example: Get a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, a TrackIR, DCS world and some of the single-aircraft modules (recommend the Ka-50 and MiG 21 for advanced flight models) and see what aerodynamic models are supposed to feel like :D

I do have a PC, custom built. I'm not sure I'd use TrackIR. I might consider HTC Vive+GTX 970. 

15 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Airsofting is really fun, you should look into it. It's great exercise as well, and I've spent less than $400 on all of my stuff so far, so you'll have lots left over for other stuff.

Thanks. Hadn't thought of it, I might.

13 hours ago, kenbobo said:

I might consider HTC Vive+GTX 970. 

That's going to be my next move I think, though I'd rather go with an Oculus. Waiting for it to mature a bit, for more software and support to arrive and the prices to drop a bit. Its a bit too early-adopter right now for me. Imma give VR a year or so before I take a proper look.

16 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Why not real ones? :D

Good idea, let's invest in spaceX stocks!

Since spaceX own their rockets, and if you buy their stocks you technically own a little piece of spaceX, thus by extension you technically own a little piece of rockets they launch!

Of course, I haven't checked if they are publicly trading their stocks, but you probably can find an aerospace company that does.

14 minutes ago, RainDreamer said:

Of course, I haven't checked if they are publicly trading their stocks, but you probably can find an aerospace company that does.

I'd suggest BA (Boeing), LMT (Lockheed Martin Corporation), or AIR.PA (Airbus- it's a French company).

Of course, If it were me, there would be a few other factors to consider. I don't spend much money on "luxury" items, which for me is anything above $10 USD, or any type of fast food, so spending it on something like technology, which could be easily made obsolete, is not high on my priority list.

I'd rather put it in my savings account. I might splurge a bit, but not anything along the line of a Macbook.

On April 18, 2016 at 9:32 PM, kenbobo said:

I'm a techie, and I've had my eye on the Apple Watch.

As an Watch user, I will say that I'm very satisfied with it.  I would defiantly say that a MacBook is also a great tool, especially if you make things on the computer.  

On April 18, 2016 at 1:51 PM, tater said:

I have an iWatch (first gen). My dad gave it to me as a birthday present. It's a great thing to be given as a gift, but I'd not buy one I think.

I bought mine.  Well worth its money. :)

9 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

As an Watch user, I will say that I'm very satisfied with it.  I would defiantly say that a MacBook is also a great tool, especially if you make things on the computer.  

I bought mine.  Well worth its money. :)

As a watch, it's not worth it. As a text triage device? That depends on how impolite checking your phone is at work. As a fitbit? On workout mode it drains the battery far too fast (might work for a short run, but it won't last for bagging a peak if it's an all day hike). I use some of the other apps sometimes, notably my altimeter app, but again, the battery life issue is huge---I notice it most on the workout app.

Like I said, I like it, but I think it's overpriced.

There are better places for arguing the merits or otherwise of Macs. Why not suggest something you think the OP should get instead?

Telescope is a decent idea. Or if you're new to astronomy, binoculars are probably better. There are good ones in the $50-100 range. Good more expensive ones too, but amateur astronomers tend to spend their money on big telescopes rather than high-end but small binoculars.

$1200 would get you some good entry level archery equipment however you should join a club first if you have no experience (better deals and some experience with the different types of bows).  I find it relaxing to fling projectiles downrange.  Another plus is that running is against the rules....more fun than tech stuff.

Edited by James Kerman
additional information

On 4/19/2016 at 6:47 AM, RainDreamer said:

Good idea, let's invest in spaceX stocks!

Since spaceX own their rockets, and if you buy their stocks you technically own a little piece of spaceX, thus by extension you technically own a little piece of rockets they launch!

SpaceX is not a public company so you can't buy stock yet. Be careful putting all of your money into one stock. It is literally where the phrase "all of your eggs in one basket" comes from. You could come off a huge winner if it does well but it could also do poorly and you'll lose a ton of money.

15 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Not if you ever want to do anything involving files or games

Dude, I have a 2007 iMac. I use it to browse the forums, and play some light flash games/ light games in general. It works like a charm on 10.11. Best life of a product I've ever seen. My DSi is obsolete, and it came out late 2008.

I have a computer I built in 2009 and it can't even run any sort of game made.

Keep your money. Buying because you can is a bad idea. Buy because you need, want or have a plan to further yourself.

2 hours ago, Tex Mechs Robot said:

It is literally where the phrase "all of your eggs in one basket" comes from.

I am pretty sure that the phrase "all of your eggs in one basket" literally comes from eggs in a basket. If you drop the basket with all your eggs in it, you lose everything. That has little to do with stock :)

2 hours ago, Tex Mechs Robot said:

It is literally where the phrase "all of your eggs in one basket" comes from.

I am pretty sure that the phrase "all of your eggs in one basket" literally comes from eggs in a basket. If you drop the basket with all your eggs in it, you lose everything. That has little to do with stock :)

Edited by Camacha

8 minutes ago, Camacha said:

I'm pretty sure it is a very old phrase that was created to caution people to not invest everything they have into one source of capital gain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.