[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@DarkonZ Sorry somehow missed your post earier. Thanks for that MM patch, I'm going to include it in the mod. Also thanks for the bug report. I think I know what's happening, the lock isn't released as it should when you revert the flight. Its because I didn't through of that possibility: the locks are cleared only when scene is not the editors. I'll fix it for next version. Thanks again.

@DarkonZ No worries :) 

A suggestion for your GUI would be to add some kind of calculations that determine how many days of food or oxygen remain. Those percentage values kinda don't cut it. Sure, maybe I'm just used to playing with other life support mods, but I can see a situation or three where seeing at glance how much stuff is left in days would be helpful. Soon enough, I'll have Kerbal Construction Time as well as Kerbal Alarm Clock setup. Proper planning and timing become relevant. Just a thought.

I agree. I'm going to add the estimated life expectancy for Food and Oxygen in the tooltip of the Monitor in the next version.

EDIT: even better, I'm going to add 'Food will deplete in XX' and 'Oxygen will deplete in XX'

Edited by ShotgunNinja

This sounds very interesting and I´ll definitely give it a try a short while afdter it is uipdated to KSP 1.1

That said, it would be great if you could add a [1.1]-Tag to the thread title, when the mod gets updated to the current KSP version :)

Edited by Godot

Great looking mod!

I'll definitely try it out once the 1.1 is ready.

I'm still relatively new to this game, however i'm already on the "mod everything" phase. When I'll be quite familiar with the game, I'll start modding myself, and i already have a few nice ideas which may work well with your mod. I hope you won't mind some help!

Since I'm waiting on a few more mods to update, I haven't started up a new save yet, and I've kept this mod in mind.

Do you happen to know if Kerbalism is compatible with Engineering Tech Tree?

Oh yeah, and what happens to the rescue contracts? Since Kerbals need life support...

Edited by Box of Stardust

@Box of Stardust It should work with any tech tree mod as long as it preserve the stock technologies. If you want to make a MM patch to put the parts in some technology that make more sense I would be pleased to include it in the mod.

The only problem may be that of reordered technologies and the way I check them for things like scrubber efficiency, signal processing and manufacturing quality in 0.9.9.0. But that has been fixed already in the next version.

Resque contracts are detected and ignored for all mod mechanics, until you get near enough to activate their vessel. At that point I 'gift' some vital resources to them, including monopropellant, and enable all mod mechanics.

@NateDaBeast I'm working on it, hold tight :)

20 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Resque contracts are detected and ignored for all mod mechanics, until you get near enough to activate their vessel. At that point I 'gift' some vital resources to them, including monopropellant, and enable all mod mechanics.

Oh, awesome.

I'm not sure if I'm in a position to suggest a feature, but... water. Is there a chance to include it amongst food and oxygen/co2? Seeing as TAC LS is currently seeking a new maintainer I started searching for other options just to try something else. Kerbalism is really interesting and complex in simulating core LS aspects (as well as few quite interesting features seen nowhere before). Water seems the only big feature that it lacks for me. I'm not going to brag about solid waste/waste water along with converters for those because those were in TAC LS. I do have this sweet vision, to use Kerbalism along with DeepFreeze and UniversalStorage (the water part mostly about using hydrogen in Alkaline Fuel Cell and water electrolysis). Would be really neat if you considered this suggestion.

All other than that - It's a real nice piece of work. All possible thumbs up.

New version updated, 0.9.9.1 BETA Caution advised, feedback appreciated

- ported to KSP 1.1.0.1230
  - removed assumptions on technologies order
  - versioning of serialized data
  - doubled radiation life expectancy at max shielding
  - added CommunityTechTree patch courtesy of DarkonZ
  - monitor: vessels can be assigned to groups
  - monitor: can filter vessels by group
  - monitor: added time to depletion of Food & Oxygen to supply icon tooltip
  - planner: EC cost of active radiators respect enabled/disabled toggle
  - planner: EC cost of new wheels, respect motor toggle
  - hooks: scan for assembly only once
  - hooks: new function InjectKerbal()
  - bugfix: proper text clamping for vessel name in monitor
  - bugfix: release input locks even when not in flight
  - bugfix: human-readable durations weren't using earth time settings
  - bugfix: SCANsat resource scanners weren't consuming EC in background

Incredible, I'm blown away by the potential and complexity of this mod while not being obscured by unnecessary mechanics. Looking forward to testing this out!

Two questions before I dive into a new career with this:

-Do all command modules have a Scrubber start? Or is this a separate module that has to be researched first?

-Are there plans for or already ways to measure radiation and so possibly intercept incoming mass ejections or test an environment for it's safety?

My respect for this incredibly amount of work!

@Artfact

Do all command modules have a Scrubber start? Or is this a separate module that has to be researched first?

All manned command pods come with an embedded scrubber, but its efficiency increase gradually with technologies. You can see its value by clicking with the RMB on the part, as well as in the planner when you are building the vessel. Note that the efficiency is determined at launch time, so researching new tech doesn't improve scrubbers on vessels already around.

Are there plans for or already ways to measure radiation and so possibly intercept incoming mass ejections or test an environment for it's safety?

I plan to add a geiger counter experiment. Right now you can see the amount of radiation the crew is exposed to in the tooltip of the radiation icon, in the monitor. That icon is only shown when the vessel is manned and exposed to some kind of radiation, so you can assume the environment is radiation-free if you don't see that icon.

About the CME: when it is ejected you'll get a message and have some time to react, based on distance from the sun. Then you'll get another message when it hit.

hi... this looks... intresting... and really really challenging...

I have a few questions though... is it possible to have permanent outposts? with a maximum oxygen scrubber efficiency of 90% any sort of vessel would run out of oxygen at some point... or am i missing something?

what other mods are supported? I have not started a new save in 1.1 so I am still figuring out what mods i would want...

I am currently thinkning of something like:

Kerbalism

KIS/KAS

KW Rocketry

NearFuture stuffs

SCANsat

DMagic Orbital Science

Station Science

FAR

(KSP-I)

This looks brilliant.

I must admit I still haven't tried it yet and I feel confused about it. My two -musthavemods- are RemoteTech and TAC LS, actually I can't imagine the game without them. Honestly I love the way TAC works (adding those extra parts to the ship make the ship itself look awesome).

I don't "appreciate" much the lack of water ( although i read it is considered inside the food) and I believe adding it as separate from food will only positively increase the challenge of the game. I can only give it a try, say again this looks amazing and be part of the voice "please modularize it and make it work with other mods!"

Edited by Bersagliere81