[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@Box of Stardust I agree on your points in reality, except for the movable window. Its easier to have it pop from a side when I need them, for me. But the rest I can totally agree. I just don't know how to make more evident that you can click on labels in the planner, to change target body and situation for example. Or, click on a vessel in the monitor to show the config. That's also one of the reason I wrote a whole wiki before release it. Maybe with time I'll improve here and there and make the whole thing more usable.

@Invader Myk Nope, they just produce food with time. You can find more about it here.

@Fraz86 All the various aspect of Quality of Life are separed, but in the end they all influece a value per-Kerbal, that accumulate 'stress'. For things like zero-g  centrifuges you could integrate them as Entertainment. In some sense, Entertainment is meant to include anything that improve quality of life. Maybe the choice of the name wasn't the best one...

On 4/20/2016 at 0:46 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

For the missing Antenna problem, if you have some savegame-editing-fu you could locate the module section of existing antenna parts in your vessels and then replace the ModuleDataTransmitter section with this one, that will at least give your existing probes support for the signal mechanic

Hide contents

MODULE
{
  name = Antenna
  isEnabled = True
  scope = extreme
  relay_cost = 0.01
  min_transmission_cost = 1
  max_transmission_cost = 2
  relay = False
  xmitIncomplete = False
  stagingEnabled = True
  EVENTS
  {
	ActivateRelayEvent
	{
  	  active = True
  	  guiActive = True
	  guiActiveUncommand = False
	  guiIcon = Enable Relay
	  guiName = Enable Relay
	  category = Enable Relay
	  guiActiveUnfocused = False
	  unfocusedRange = 2
	  externalToEVAOnly = True
	}
	DeactivateRelayEvent
	{
	  active = False
	  guiActive = True
	  guiIcon = Disable Relay
	  guiName = Disable Relay
	  category = Disable Relay
	  unfocusedRange = 2
	  externalToEVAOnly = True
	}
	ToggleRelayInEditorEvent
	{
	  active = True
	  guiActive = False
	  guiActiveEditor = True
	  guiIcon = Toggle Relay
	  guiName = Toggle Relay
	  category = Toggle Relay
	  unfocusedRange = 2
	  externalToEVAOnly = True
	}
	StartTransmission
	{
	  active = True
	  guiActive = True
	  guiIcon = Transmit Data
	  guiName = Transmit Data
	  category = Transmit Data
	  unfocusedRange = 2
	  externalToEVAOnly = True
	}
	TransmitIncompleteToggle
	{
	  active = False
	  guiActive = True
	  guiIcon = Toggle Transmit Incomplete
	  guiName = Require Complete
	  category = Toggle Transmit Incomplete
	  unfocusedRange = 2
	  externalToEVAOnly = True
	}
	StopTransmission
	{
	  active = False
	  guiActive = True
	  guiIcon = Stop Transmitting
	  guiName = Stop Transmitting
	  category = Stop Transmitting
	  unfocusedRange = 2
	  externalToEVAOnly = True
	}
	ToggleStaging
	{
	  active = True
	  guiActive = False
	  guiIcon = Disable Staging
	  guiName = Disable Staging
	  category = Disable Staging
	  unfocusedRange = 2
	  externalToEVAOnly = True
	}
  }
  ACTIONS
  {
  }
}

Okay, so I did this for every antenna in my save file, but none of my probes are working still. Anything else that could restore the probes to functioning?

@ShotgunNinja downloaded.. is it normal not to have the windows untill you launch a manned ship?

and just a few like requests:

1. Simulate water and oxygen (Kinda like TAC)

2. some certain modules to add so that long term habitation on another is possible. (up to 5 years or more)

3. configuration settings to disable individual parts easily.

Edited by Joshwoo69

I'm probably making a schoolboy error, but my Kerbals keep starving even though there's food in their modules....see screenshot.  Three out of four are on the verge of death after ten days sitting on the launchpad.  Greenhouses are growing merrily, and I'm running KSP 1.1 with the 1.1 edition of Kerbalism.

Edited by KBluey
photo didn't show up in post

@ShotgunNinja EnergyTweaks.cfg concerns me. These tweaks make Kerbalism effectively incompatible with any mod that has EC-generating or EC-consuming parts. Compatibility patches will be difficult to write, as there are no easy-to-follow rules about the adjustments that need to be made - EC rates are variously cut by 0% (ISRU, drills), 33% (RTG), 50% (radiators, lights), 67% (fuel cells), 75% (wheels, alternators), ~72% (ion engine), ~77% (static solar panels), and >90% (deployable solar panels). Furthermore, there is some discrepancy/imbalance among these tweaks (e.g., the OX-STAT generates 16 EC/mass while the OX-STAT-XL generates only 10 EC/mass) that exacerbates the lack of clarity.

Because all EC rates are decreased except mining/ISRU, the primary effects of these tweaks are to increase the relative significance of batteries and make mining/ISRU more difficult. Personally, I would have preferred that you accomplish these effects by the opposite approach; i.e., increase battery capacities and mining/ISRU EC-consumption (with perhaps a modest decrease in solar panel output if necessary), while leaving other EC rates untouched. If you stick with the current implementation, I would ask that you please provide clear documentation on the recommended compatibility tweaks for other mods.

Edited by Fraz86

@ShotgunNinja If you said your mod overlap RT, TAC/USI LS/Snacks, then is there any chance to include antennas of RT to work with your mod and make delays and relays same as in RT? Because it would be much more realistic (and your mod is very realistic :D...so it should be included). + is there chance to include greenhouses of USI or TAC to support your supplies and oxy?

I really want switch to your mod, but because there isn't any delay and remote control computer, and I will must rebuild all of my of ships with other supplies and so on, it s bit problematic.

Ave!

Toonu

Edited by Toonu

5 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Because I'm unable to model anything more complex than a box that's why :)

You could always go the "cheap" route and make entertainment an invisible resource that users can add on certain parts in the VAB. (Similar to shielding.) The penalty could be a higher price, more weight and/or less room size. Like if you add entertainment to a hitchhiker container, the crew capacity could go down to 2 or something. Which would kind of make sense, because if they add a dedicated recreational area, they would have less room to sleep.

1 hour ago, Toonu said:

@ShotgunNinja If you said your mod overlap RT, TAC/USI LS/Snacks, then is there any chance to include antennas of RT to work with your mod and make delays and relays same as in RT? Because it would be much more realistic (and your mod is very realistic :D...so it should be included). + is there chance to include greenhouses of USI or TAC to support your supplies and oxy?

I really want switch to your mod, but because there isn't any delay and remote control computer, and I will must rebuild all of my of ships with other supplies and so on, it s bit problematic.

Ave!

Toonu

rather than waiting until @ShotgunNinja gets round to supporting all the myriad of community antennae, or until he implements all the functionality of the already existing RemoteTech into his own mod, wouldn't you prefer if Kerbalism's signal processing module could be disabled by config, and you could continue using your preferred antenna mod while enjoying the life support and magnetosphere features of Kerbalism?

i know i would.

choice. it's good.

Could you add water to the resources that kerbals need? And a part that converts it into liquid fuel and oxidizer that is then converted into oxygen?

Edited by Luka 999

I love everything about this mod - except for the fact that it doesn't play nice with other mods. But I'm not going to ask you to change anything, you've done a great job putting together a mod that suits your playstyle. I'll fork it on Github at some point and see if I can't get it working more the way I want it. Thanks for the liberal license!

I've spent the last couple of days getting my custom OPM config set up (still in the installing and configuring mods phase, nowhere close to actually playing the game yet), and was perfectly delighted to see Kerbalism automatically create magnetosphere values for all those new planets and moons. That part appears to have worked perfectly.  :D

5 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Charlie_Zulu Settings are going to happen in one of the next versions. I want to try if i manage to streamline them a bit if I can.

RT I had report somebody was running both the mods. But combining both RT and the signal component of this mod is madness imo.
Maybe as you say somebody could do some MM patches that put both modules in all antennas.
But then there are subtle problems, like the fact that both modules inherit ModuleDataTransmitter. You could try to do that and see what happen.

You mean making CO Scrubber use a resource? I know that is realistic, but is it fun?
At what level of complexity (intended as number of components and their interactions) somehow stop being fun?
I would prefer to keep the Scrubber mechanic simple like it is now.

On entertainment right now I use a 'multiplication' between the entertainment rates, clamped to some value.
That way you don't need many parts, just a few are enough (eg: 3 entertainment parts of rates 2.0 or 3.0 are supposed to be the non-plus-ultra of entertainment).
And it scale fast. This was necessary because of parts count, extreme low variety of entertainment parts (hell i only enabled it on the cupola and the hitchhiker!)
and also just to avoid players creating vessels with a lot of entertainment parts (not realistic, break immersion).
Keep in mind entertainment is not the whole quality of life mechanics. There is more.

That kind of failure simulation will be too complex. I want to add support for more types of components over time,
but my current malfunction architecture is limited to 1 type of failure per module (but it's blazing fast!).

That TestFlight is neat. I'm reading their documentation right now. I can't gasp if it actually make part fail or only record reliability in a db.
Its not apparent from the readme or the wiki. Maybe you know? What kind of failures it dose implement?

I'm always open for ideas, and of course i'm also open for MM patches of all sorts. Just send them my way and I'll include in the mod. :)

I wasn't suggesting that you add more complicated CO2 scrubbing; I was just trying to answer your question about CO2 being dumped overboard.  

A simplified yet quasi-realistic system would be to have the crew die if either O2 ran out or CO2 hit the max.  Scrubbers remove CO2 and supply O2, the atmosphere can be vented to remove CO2 (and on airless worlds, O2), and O2 can be supplied from tanked oxygen.  That forces players on long-duration missions to pack a scrubber instead of just filling a RealFuels tank with oxygen and ignoring the mechanic, but still lets players on short-term missions (LKO flights) to not worry about it.  If players want more complicated scrubber mechanics, they can just delete your scrubbers and add their own.  

After looking at your Signals portion, it seems to be better than RT except for that it lacks directional antennas.  Would it be possible to add support for directional antennas like RT, even if they're not incorporated into the mod?  

Finally, is it planned to ever support multiple star systems in Kopernicus?  

6 hours ago, speedwaystar said:

rather than waiting until @ShotgunNinja gets round to supporting all the myriad of community antennae, or until he implements all the functionality of the already existing RemoteTech into his own mod, wouldn't you prefer if Kerbalism's signal processing module could be disabled by config, and you could continue using your preferred antenna mod while enjoying the life support and magnetosphere features of Kerbalism?

i know i would.

choice. it's good.

Yes it s one of options, but I will rather have 1 mod instead of 3.....

I love your mod @ShotgunNinja!

I also would like RT support, because than I have a motivation to use kOS :).

13 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Because I'm unable to model anything more complex than a box that's why :)

I'm sure, that you could find someone willing to help with modeling. If you can't find anyone talented, I can do some modeling myself. Here is a NASA's Nautilus-X type rotating module I made quickly. If you would like to use it I can texture it and give it to you for entertainment module or something else.

@ShotgunNinja, first let me say that this mod is, putting it mildly, utterly amazing. I've waited for something like this for so long, it is a delight to see it finally happening!

I'd like to ask you some things regarding compatibility with other mods I think are essential to every non-vanilla KSPlayer.

The Near-Future Technologies series of mods, and in general @Nertea's other mods, like Stockalike Station Parts and his Nuclear Engines pack, are all dependant on the "CommunityResources". In this are included Food and Oxygen, as well as Waste, as already-defined resources. Would this interfere with Kerbalism's own Food and Oxygen resources? If so, can a workaround be created?

Secondly, regarding comms: Your Kerbalism simulates the line of sight and relay behaviour, however, it does not simulate light lag. I believe this is a deliberate choice of your part, but some of us crazy masochists would like to be able to include it in. Would it be possible to either include it as an option or possibly create a Kerbalism-RemoteTech compatibility/Optional Integration? (I don't think so, but it is always nice to ask, for the record)

And lastly, but not least, have you contacted @Paul Kingtiger regarding the possibility of making Universal Storage support Kerbalism's resources? I think it would be very good to have such compatibility, as Universal Storage provides lots of flexibility regarding LS allocation.

Yet again, congratulations for this amazing mod! I hope to see it grow with time and improve even more! I'm certain this will be one of the classics. :wink:

@Joshwoo69, @KBluey Could be a bug... send me something: screenshot, log, savegame, anything that could help.

@Fraz86 Good point, I'll add some kind of guidelines comment into EnergyTweaks. The reason I didn't went the battery route (I did in private tests) is that I wanted to alter the balance between the individual panels as well as other EC producers/consumers. The panels had to be tweaked panels badly, because now they are central to gameplay. Especially the early game ones had to be fine-tuned by trial and error. Then everything else followed from this, balance-wise. The OXSTAT-XL I'll correct, and I'm open to other changes. Please suggest what you would change and why.

@FreeThinker I added an hook to inject radiation here. For the malfunction hooks, tell me what you need.

@Guest83 There is an Entertainment that you can add to parts that somehow improve quality of life.

@IGNOBIL Great! Look here, scroll down to Antenna section. Choose a scope for it, the range is then computed automatically (and change with singnal processing tech).  See how I've used it for the stock antennas here.

@Bombaatu Nope.

@Box of Stardust I put them in Control because Utility tab is 'polluted' already. I know they aren't control-related.

@White Owl Great!

9 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@FreeThinker I added an hook to inject radiation here

Excelent, I will check if  I can integrate this into the VISTA engine neutron radiation exposure function

Edit. What is the unit of work here, 1 unit = 1 Gray?

Edited by FreeThinker

@mehka Man that would be very appreciated. I have some contribution already for the food tanks, that will be included in the next version. But I really want to include a dedicated Entertainment part. And that artificial gravity hab will be perfect! Send it my way :)

@Charlie_Zulu It's not technically difficult to make them directional, I'll just have to evaluate if a dot product is inside some value boudaries. The problem is that then you need an UI to point them, and also it become more complex to manage. I can think of something like this: you don't point them explicitly, the part orientation is used automatically. And the field of view is pretty much between 90 and 180 degree, so you can eyeball the orienting. What you think about that?

@GabrielG.A.B.Fonseca Thank you. Near Future compatibility is coming, I'm waiting for it to update for 1.1 and meanwhile I'm working on supporting its curved solar panels. For the CommunityResourcePack conflict, the only way I could fix it is to make sure my patch is applied on top of it. I'm not going to change resource names, and the densities are different than CRP. For Universal Storage I'll write a MM patch (contributions are welcome).

@FreeThinker Its all in rad.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

11 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@FreeThinker Its all in rad.

RAD? You do realize that's a deprecated unit for radiation absorbtion for inert objects! they only still use it in the backward parts of the US, the rest of the civilised world (including SQUAD KSP) uses Gray, which is linked to the scientific Metric system.

The amount of radiation absorbed by an inert object is measured by the traditional obsolete unit the Rad or the new metric unit the Gray (Gy). One Rad is a dose of radiation causing 100 ergs of energy to be absorbed by one gram of matter. One Gray is 1 joule of radiation absorbed by one kilogram of matter. 1 Rad equals 0.01 Gray.

The amount of radiation absorbed by living being is measured by the traditional obsolete unit the Rem or the new metric unit the Sievert (Sv). 1 Rem equals 0.01 Sievert.

Edited by FreeThinker