[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@FreeThinker I know... When I investigated values for cosmic radiation levels, storms and van allen belts the literature was using RAD. So I used them and then they just sticked in. Too late to change now, but that is easy enough fixed as 1 RAD = 0.01 GRAY. If you want I can change the hooks API to accept GRAY.

Edited by ShotgunNinja
fixed

10 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@FreeThinker I know... When I investigated values for cosmic radiation levels, storms and van allen belts the literature was using RAD. So I used them and then they just sticked in. Too late to change now, but that is easy enough fixed as 1 RAD = 0.01 GRAY. If you want I can change the hooks API to accept GRAY.

Not nessisary, just make sure the documentation of your hooks are clear on the used unit, So I suggest you change " InjectRadiation(string k_name, double amount) "into "InjectRadiation(string kerbal_name, double rad_amount)"

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

I love everything about this mod - except for the fact that it doesn't play nice with other mods. But I'm not going to ask you to change anything, you've done a great job putting together a mod that suits your playstyle. I'll fork it on Github at some point and see if I can't get it working more the way I want it. Thanks for the liberal license!

https://github.com/speedwaystar/Kerbalism/tree/play_nice

@speedwaystar If the code don't find an Antenna module on a vessel, it will consider it without a link. With the consequences of disabling probe control and science transmission. A quick hack may be to comment out the signal locks in Kerbalism.cs::setLocks(). A better way would be to replace Signal.cs::Link() function with this, to fool the signal system:

// return link status of a vessel
public static link_data Link(Vessel v)
{
  // make all vessels have a link, irregardless of anything else
  return new link_data(true, link_status.direct_link, double.MaxValue);
}

11 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@speedwaystar If the code don't find an Antenna module on a vessel, it will consider it without a link. With the consequences of disabling probe control and science transmission. A quick hack may be to comment out the signal locks in Kerbalism.cs::setLocks(). A better way would be to replace Signal.cs::Link() function with this, to fool the signal system:

// return link status of a vessel
public static link_data Link(Vessel v)
{
  // make all vessels have a link, irregardless of anything else
  return new link_data(true, link_status.direct_link, double.MaxValue);
}

indeed! i was going to do the commenting out tomorrow... it's way past bed time for me.

i'll add support for a config file setting to enable/disable signal processing. 

*sleeps*

This is what I was looking for, one mod to rule them all :D

I found a glitch , I have tree simalr vessel with different crews , in one I have only Valentina and it show only food remaining, if I disable th scrubber then it show also oxygen, got something like this many times in the log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KERBALISM.Lib.GetProtoValue[UInt32] (.ProtoPartModuleSnapshot module, System.String value_name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KERBALISM.Malfunction.Penalty (.ProtoPartSnapshot p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KERBALISM.Background.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

http://imgur.com/UShWG87

http://imgur.com/zWckdZi

Edited by brusura

After playing around more with the radiation component I believe there needs to be a bit more information.

It would be great to have life time (I know it gets resetted when they go back to the KSC and that's fine) radiation log so you know the exact the life expectancy from every single crew member. That's especially important for things like space stations where you have crew rotation and they all have different amount of radiation exposure. Right now you get a warning when they get sick, but it would be better if you could know the exact time they have left so you can plan ahead.

It would also be nice to have some sort of visual feedback about the position of the radiation belt and where the magnetossphere ends. Right now you just know once you exit it. This could even be a new science experiment for the mod, so you have to fly a mission first to find out.

Also while doing testing (aka sending Kerbals to death by radiation posioning) every single breakable component on my craft failed. Every single solar panel and reaction wheel in a timespan of just 3 years. That seems a bit too aggressive, especially once you have multiple space ships and dozens of unmanned satelites and probes all over the solar system. If they all fail at this rate it kind of takes the fun out of actually flying service missions and instead everybody is going to just put twice as many solar panels on them from the start.

PS: There is a minor bug with the greenhouse. Once all my Kerbals were dead, it still kept going and harvested itself. I guess it makes sense that it grows to 100%, but harvest should require a Kerbal inside the vessel.

Edited by Guest83

I know the Utilities tab is cluttered with tons of stuff, but it's just wrong. :/

Is there a way you can just make your own tab for those items, if you don't want them in Utilities?

Also, I replaced all of the ModuleDataTransmitter in my save file with Antenna as you said in the post earlier, but nothing is working. In fact, now not even the antenna on a ship I sent up before modifying the save (but after activating your mod) is working.

@brusura Thanks for the detailed report. Can you send me the savegame, as it seem somehow a component is not getting the Malfunction module as it should.

The tooltip problem is a separate issue, and should be a floating-point precision issue at 90% scrubber efficiency. I'm assuming you are running sandbox, please confirm this.

@Guest83 I'm going to add a 'vessel info' window that show a radiation bar per-kerbal and more.

For the visual feedback on magnetosphere and radiation belt, I want to add it in the tracking station (and make the magnetosphere drop-shaped). It will happen eventually.

The components fail often during early game. You have to improve manufacturing quality (scroll down).

About greenhouse 'auto-harvest': good point. But then what if you want to make something like an automated food production facility?

4 hours ago, GabrielG.A.B.Fonseca said:

And lastly, but not least, have you contacted @Paul Kingtiger regarding the possibility of making Universal Storage support Kerbalism's resources? I think it would be very good to have such compatibility, as Universal Storage provides lots of flexibility regarding LS allocation.

I'd be happy to make US compatible with Kerbalism.  Most of the work it probably already done, but I'll take a look once I've updated 64K and Kscale2 to 1.1

Awesome mod! I seem to be having weird problem with it though. When trying to get back from EVA kerbals seem to 'clone' into the capsule. After hitting B, kerbal seem to bet getting inside but a copy of him prevails outside, and whats even funnier I can eva the one inside the capsule again so the clones are floating next to each other ;]

Edited by mieczyslav

Hi, really great work on the mod!

I do have a question tho.. After installing the mod I couldnt finish any of the 'put a sattalite in this specific orbit' contracts in my savegame. So I started a new game and found out all those kind of contracts where nowhere to be found, just like the orbital station contracts. Is this normal? I searched this thread and the documentation but couldnt find an answer.

Amazing mod, really puts it all together. Just like a few people before said, my only concern is that we can't switch particular parts of it  on and off. Eg. malfunction, although really nice idea, but with tons of ships, probes, satellites and station I found myself doing nothing but repairing everything for most of the time. Maybe it would be possible to consider let's say stations/ships with the engineer on board as auto repairing ones? That would require much less micromanagement in this matter? Apart of that, loving what you're doing! Really great job!

All the best.

@mieczyslav Can you send me a copy of the savegame and the log file?

The savegame is inside {KSP_DIR}/saves/{NAME_OF_SAVEGAME}/persistent.sfs
The log file is in {KSP_DIR}/KSP.txt

@Zutt That is definively not normal at all. This mod does nothing to the contracts. Can you try reproduce the problem without this mod installed?

Make a copy the savegame previously mentioned, and backup it somewhere
Move the directory Kerbalism from {KSP_DIR}/GameData to somewhere else
Run the game and check if you can reproduce the problem
When you are done, move the Kerbalism directory back inside GameData and overwrite the savegame with the backup you did before

9 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Good point, I'll add some kind of guidelines comment into EnergyTweaks. The reason I didn't went the battery route (I did in private tests) is that I wanted to alter the balance between the individual panels as well as other EC producers/consumers. The panels had to be tweaked panels badly, because now they are central to gameplay. Especially the early game ones had to be fine-tuned by trial and error. Then everything else followed from this, balance-wise. The OXSTAT-XL I'll correct, and I'm open to other changes. Please suggest what you would change and why.

In principle, I completely agree with your rebalancing among solar panels, with an EC/mass hierarchy in which static > nonretractable > retractable. Unfortunately, I think the spread ended up too wide, and some panels were nerfed too hard. For example, the OX-STAT has an EC/mass ratio of 16, nearly 3x greater than the 5.6 ratio of the SP-L/W panels. Again, I completely agree that the SP panels should be less mass efficient, but at 1/3 the efficiency, they're just plain terrible. They're actually even worse than RTGs (EC/mass ratio of 6.25), which I believe is totally undesirable since RTGs have plenty of other advantages. So what would I do? Maintain the same hierarchy, but bring all the panels closer together, primarily by bringing up the lower end of the range. Here are some sample EC production values:

OX-STAT: 0.075

OX-STAT-XL: 0.6, and revert mass to stock value of 0.04

OX-4W/L: 0.2

SP-W/L: 0.2 (their greater mass relative to OX-4W/L is already punishing enough)

Gigantor: 2.75

I'd also consider doubling the fuel cell outputs, as the current EC/mass ratio for the smaller one is only slightly better than an RTG (doubling would simply revert to the stock balance relative to RTGs).

Finally, I'm happy to hear you plan to write an official patch to support NearFuture. I urge you to bear in mind that NFP's engines are meticulously balanced against NFE's reactors, so the EC production/consumption of all these parts should be reduced by the same amount in order to avoid breaking the balance. For example, an across-the-board multiplier of 0.25 looks like it would work fairly well.

Edited by Fraz86