[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

6 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@MisterFister, @RoverDude I didn't realize the shared-resource problem at first, and I do want to play nice. These are the problems i have to solve:

• switch to CRP resources, adapt all containers to new densities, adapt all consumption rates to new densities
  • find a way to do not break the savegames, maybe by scanning all existing vessels at first load time from old version and just scaling all capacity & amount of parts
  • deal with the fact that my CO2 and Waste are massless, invisible pseudo-resources (and CRP are not)

Once a vessel is launched then the resource capacity is fixed and won't change unless the container had a Firespitter resource switcher. So you can't do anything with already launched vessels. Anyone who wants to fix a vessel instead of launching a new one can easily modify the values using this KML save editor.

5 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

The MK1 is supposed to have the scrubber already. All manned command pods have one.

@ShotgunNinja Thanks for replying so fast. I was not talking about the Mk1 Command Pod, but the Mk1 Crew Cabin found under "utility" when constructing. It does not have a scrubber in the info pop up window or a scrubber when right clicking on it. (The only option to turn on or off is the lights)

@Enceos I think you can just change the 'amount' and 'maxAmount' values in the ProtoPartResourceSnapshots for all vessels. But didn't try to mess with that yet. I want to avoid breaking previous savegames if I can.

@JonGustav I'm adding the scrubber only to command pods (the crew cabin is only a container for crew, it has no command capability). I did it this way so not everything with crew has a Scrubber. You can add the scrubber to the Mk1 crew cabin with this simple MM patch, put it in a .cfg file and put that fine inside your GameData dir

Spoiler

@PART[MK1CrewCabin]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
  RESOURCE
  {
    name = CO2
    amount = 0.0
    maxAmount = 2.0
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = Scrubber
    ec_rate = 0.02
    co2_rate = 0.0000926
  }
}

@kasperhangard When you RMB click on them, you'll see their range (works also in the editors). In addition you can see the range of the best antenna (and other info) when designing a vessel in the editors: just open the planner.

I couldn't add the ranges to the part tooltip because by the time the parts are compiled (and the tooltip content generated) the bodies aren't ready yet. So its technically impossible to have the ranges auto-adapt to sun system features and also have them in the tooltip.

@Guest83 Yes. Essentially a part malfunction when its age goes above a random value, choosen between min_lifetime and max_lifetime. The aging is scaled by manufacturing quality. Now that I think of it, 0.9.9.3 influence aging using radiation, and I set it too high probably.

@kasperhangard That is the tooltip where I can't show the ranges. Place the part on the vessel and RMB click on it.

I have bumped into this mod randomly and i kinda like it, but could you make a "lite" version of this (toggleable modules or reduced propabilities) for starters?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Does this support RemoteTech?

Keep breathing, 

OndrikB

Edited by OndrikB

Wow! That's a lot of stuff in this mod! Realistic probe transmissions, life support, ok, but solar weather? Radiation belts? Awesome! I'm definitely trying this out today. Is it compatible with Kerbal Planetary Base Systems?

Edited by cubinator

34 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Wow! That's a lot of stuff in this mod! Realistic probe transmissions, life support, ok, but solar weather? Radiation belts? Awesome! I'm definitely trying this out today. Is it compatible with Kerbal Planetary Base Systems?

here m8

16 hours ago, lagcity613 said:

Here are some patches to make KPBS support Kerbalism https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zsz5q8mzs8fse0/KerbalismFoxPatches1.2.7z?dl=0

On 4/18/2016 at 8:28 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

@aniron Every Shielding unit weight 2T. The player is supposed to compromise between mass and life expectancy due to radiation. You can tweak it like any resources, so you can have a pod with 0.2 Shielding amount for example. To give you an idea: under cosmic-level of radiation a Kerbal can survive 250d with a ShieldingFactor of 0.0 (eg: no shielding at all), and 5y 370d with a ShieldingFactor of 1.0 (eg: max amount of shielding). So to simplify, it cost 2T per-Kerbal to give a vessel the max amount of shielding possible.

In the case of a surface colony, if the body has a magnetosphere then there is no need for shielding at all. Magnetospheres act as safe heavens for life.

EDIT: during design i considered evaluating shielding for each individual container (that would be required for a proper 'storm cellar' implementation), but then I discarded it because I through the micromanaging could have become boring. Also, there is no incentive to keep kerbals outside of a 'storm cellar' and into normal pods when there is no radiation, so one would simply keep them in the storm cellar all the time.

I apologize if someone already asked this question, but is the radiation setup in such a way that even with maximum shielding it would be impossible to perform a manned mission to Eeloo?  5 years doesn't seem long enough.

Made a simple base with Planetary Base System modules and timewarped on the runway.  Around 8 days, Kerbals got hungry even though there was plenty of food left.  They seemed to stop eating at that point, and after 3 more days or so, died of starvation. Pretty grim.

Edited by curiousepic

Kerbals eat 50 kg of food per (Kerbin, six-hour) day. Even though "food" probably includes drinks, this seems a bit much.

http://imgur.com/728joeY

A more reasonable quantity depends on whether:
- Kerbals are green human-equivalents, or green peeps that are substantially smaller, and
- a day on Kerbin is equal in length to an Earth day, or whether it's hours that are equal.

Let's go with the choices that lead to the highest estimated consumption: Human-sized Kerbals, days of equal length.

A read of http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.01982.x/pdf gives us some very useful numbers for the carry-on mass required to sustain one human person for one Earth day. Assuming we provide reasonably tasty, hydrated, and varied meals, this is about 1.5 - 2 kg/person/day of food, accessories, and packaging, for a US astronaut. Drinks are additional, but liquid waste is recyclable. Values in the range of 0.25 - 1 kg/person/day of lost water seem reasonable, bringing our budget to 1.75 to 3 kg/person/day for food and drink.

I've gone with a 2.5 kg/day value for now.

Edited by Dawnstar

An idea came to mind about the shielding and permanent bases/ long trips problem. How about making a dedicated medical bay? It could be the size of the Mobile Processing Lab (maybe a bit heavier) require a scientist (maybe even a 5 star one) to operate and could reset the radiation level for 1 patient at the time (this could also take some time and a lot of electricity).  It would make sense because the radiation level becomes reset back home. 

26 minutes ago, kspjrthom4444 said:

I apologize if someone already asked this question, but is the radiation setup in such a way that even with maximum shielding it would be impossible to perform a manned mission to Eeloo?  5 years doesn't seem long enough.

We discussed about that with ShotgunNinja, he agree that 5 years is too short time, also if you want to play with some planet pack like OPM. No need to worry about that.

One more issue with this generally awesome mod.

Food and oxygen weight. For one day one Kerbal need 1 food and 1 oxygen. It is currently 50kg of food and 10 kg of oxygen.

Average human require about 0,5 kg food and 550 liters (660 kg) of oxygen per 24 hour, so 0,125 kg food and 137,5 liters (165) of oxygen per Kerbal Day.

If you aim to have realistic Earth-like values, food is way to heavy (100 times) and oxygen is way too light (46 times). Unless Kerbals are not at all like humans and they compensate lack of oxygen with crazy amounts of food.

Still great mod :)

@curiousepic Maybe the kerbals and food are on different vessels, somehow.

@Dawnstar Thanks for the analysis, you saved me a lot of time

@Skipperro Its possible I'm gonna change that in future.

@kspjrthom4444 I've already doubled radiation life expectancy. You should be able to reach Eeloo right now.

@JonGustav This is already possible by creating some kind of MedicalBay module and then calling the hook InjectRadiation() with a negative amount for all kerbals inside.

@lagcity613 Those patches are good!

8 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@curiousepic Maybe the kerbals and food are on different vessels, somehow.

Nah, I didn't move them from where they started.  All food is reduced equally among all parts until they become hungry and stop eating.

EDIT: Tried it with stock parts and this issue didn't happen. Must be KPBS or something else going on, so no worries.

Edited by curiousepic

10 hours ago, Berlin said:

Look,  it's still in beta and anything is possible.  He may implement some similar features as RT2 in the future but if he doesn't oh well.  This mod is pretty awesome as is.  If you want RT2 then use RT2 bud. And yes you can run them together but as ShotgunNinja has said "why would you?" redundant  if you ask me

It s not about using them together, I want only answer directly from the developer, and I asked 4 times....it s not about do it! do it now! I want it right now!

I only want finally the answer if I can wait for that future update, or I must stay at other mods...

Edited by Toonu

So! How much does a Kerbal breathe, by mass?

Assume Kerbals = humans. Assume Kerbin day = Earth Day (divide the mass by four if Kerbin hours = Earth hours)

Humans consume about 550 liters of oxygen per day (http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/respiratory/question98.htm). Now add something for exercise and fudge factor, perhaps 25-30%, for a total of ~750 liters. Assuming this oxygen is breathed in at standard temperature and pressure (25 C, 1 atmosphere), each liter has a mass of 1.429 g (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen), for a mass of 1.073 kg of oxygen consumed/human person/earth day. Tank weight is additional, but this is already accounted for in the mass of parts.

EDIT: Kerbin hours have to be equal to Earth hours, because they still contain 3600 seconds, and I assume that the meaning of a "second" or a "meter per second" hasn't changed. So divide my masses above and here by (24 Earth hours / 6 Kerbin hours = 4) for an estimated consumption of 0.6 kg of food and drink, and 0.26 kg of oxygen per (human-type) kerbal, per Kerbin day.

Edited by Dawnstar
Kerbin day

Hi!

Congrats on your mod ShotgunNinja, it looks quite promising and I would love to use it in my ksp-install.

I have a suggestion regarding mod-compatability: would it be possible for you to make your mod modular?
Like every feature is in its own module, and you can enable/disable them via config and/or GUI. This would solve the compatability problems with other mods (besides resources) and gives us player the chance to choose, what content of your mod we want to have active at the moment and what not.

Looking forward to your updates,

Cheers!