[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

17 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Oh. My. Goodness.

I'm currently burned out in KSP but when this updates to 1.1... you can bet I'll jump on it as soon as I can.

I thought there was gonna be a long list of "X code was taken from Y mod" at the end of the OP but no, you did it all yourself! Absolutely stunning work!

... It's updated to 1.1.

@pip12345 Water can be recycled. This means that a vessel does not need to carry the weight of its water requirements for the entire mission. Instead you carry the food you need and recycle the water. Combining water and food into a single resource was something that I could live with, but it was still a real disappointment. Be careful about making statements about balance between realism and fun as clearly there is no objective scale. Stock strikes the perfect balance between realism and fun - for some people. TACLS struck the perfect balance between realism and fun - for some people. Kerbalism strikes the perfect balance between realism and fun - for some people. On the whole, Kerbalism has a realism oriented tone - it's not surprising that a chunk of the audience interested in Kerbalism is also interested in the greater realism that separating food and water would allow. There is a good case for abstraction where resources will be consumed at a constant rate and renewed under the same circumstances - there is no gameplay difference between carrying "food" vs carrying "breakfasts+lunches+dinners". Abstracting these meals away into a single resource cuts down on tiresome inventory management without affecting ship design or gameplay. The same cannot be said for abstracting away water. It is an important design decision whether or not the weight of a recycler can be justified for a mission, whether replacement water can be sourced from the ice on planets and moons, whether the water can be electrolysed for hydrogen and oxygen, whether the vessel can handle the additional EC load. Importantly, the additional complexity and depth is largely optional. TACLS offered single parts with a balanced inventory of oxygen, food and water that would be consumed in the correct proportions - players could simply add the part and forget about it. If you want to treat water as pristine bottles of unopened mineral water then you can. But there can be real gameplay differences in the way that water as a resource plays - and a lot of players that enjoy that gameplay. With the apparent demise of TACLS there will be a lot of players looking towards Kerbalism as a replacement, and probably a lot more requests for water to be added.

Is there any tweaks or settings where I can disable the warp-down when some satellite loses contact? This is really very annoying when I try to warp somewhere and the time-warp constantly tells me that 'we lost contact with satellite X'. It's ORBITING the Mun! You lose contact with it every {half orbital period}.

44 minutes ago, lagcity613 said:

Great job, dude! Would you mind taking a look at UKS Kolonization to adapt its life support facilities as well?

Just now, Enceos said:

Great job, dude! Would you mind taking a look at UKS Kolonization to adapt its life support facilities as well?

I don't use the Kolonization mods - just having them installed gives me a 20fps drop in the editors, so I know very little about them

1 minute ago, lagcity613 said:

I don't use the Kolonization mods - just having them installed gives me a 20fps drop in the editors, so I know very little about them

Looks like it's up to me. Haven't played the game yet, like most moders and modellers here ^_^

@ShotgunNinja It seems that living space is currently calculated based on crew capacity alone. It would be nice if there was a module to denote extra space not reflected by a part's capacity. For example, I believe the MPL (Lab) would do much more to relieve claustrophobia than the Mk2 Lander Can, yet both have the same crew capacity. I'm picturing something like this:

MODULE
{
	name = ExtraLivingSpace
	amount = 2	// equivalent to 2 extra crew capacity
}

Also, would it be helpful for me to share more NFT compatibility patches (like these), or do you have it covered?

8 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Rhedd That vessel info window is coming in the next version, I did update the wiki meanwhile. Sorry for the confusion.

@cicatrix, @Box of Stardust There is a new 0.6125m food container coming in new version, that should give you more option in early game.

@Aristaeus Contributions are welcome :)

@White Owl I'm thinking of adding a ScopeMultiplier value to Antenna module, so you can tweak some antennas better (eg: double 'near': just set the multiplier to 2). What you think? I could also just add a new scope in the middle between 'near' or 'far'.

Thanks for the clarification about the vessel info window, and thank you VERY much for the upcoming life support module!

I'm really liking what I see here, but the things that keep me from jumping ship from TAC and using this are the lack of detailed ship info, the lack of water and waste management, and the non-standard resource use. It sounds like you're in the process of fixing every one of those things, so I'm excited!

I really love what you've done with the malfunctions (things don't completely break), and what happens to Kerbals when they aren't happy. Also love the burst of food from greenhouses instead of a slow trickle (I assume that's how it works, haven't had time to see for myself yet.)

I like the ScopeMultiplier Antenna idea, but I think having a "medium" category might be nice as well, for simplicity.

I'd also love to see a way to tweak how fast kerbals go crazy due to different factors. I don't think my guys go nuts nearly fast enough due to cramped spaces! If I want to send a lone kerbal on a three month trip, I expect to have to build him some decent living space, and if I send him on that three month trip in a tiny Mk1 capsule so he can't scratch his nose, I expect him go batty in a week or so. That's just me, so it'd be great if it were adjustable in a cfg, or something.

1 hour ago, cicatrix said:

Is there any tweaks or settings where I can disable the warp-down when some satellite loses contact? This is really very annoying when I try to warp somewhere and the time-warp constantly tells me that 'we lost contact with satellite X'. It's ORBITING the Mun! You lose contact with it every {half orbital period}.

The probe/antenna system needs work. Because currently, you can't do anything with them at all if you're on the other side of a planet/moon, making far-side activities (manuevers, mainly) impossible. It would be better if all that was restricted was data transmission.

For the contact message, I think it should be changed so that it only activates upon:

-Out of range

-Loss of charge

-Probe destruction

11 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

The probe/antenna system needs work. Because currently, you can't do anything with them at all if you're on the other side of a planet/moon, making far-side activities (manuevers, mainly) impossible. It would be better if all that was restricted was data transmission.

For the contact message, I think it should be changed so that it only activates upon:

-Out of range

-Loss of charge

-Probe destruction

You can disable the message you don't want from the GUI.

13 hours ago, cicatrix said:

Tech tree balance:

This is about pure gameplay experience - early career stages deny you from flying to Minmus. A command pod has food for 5 days and you only fly one-way 8 days. Finally I stacked two command pods resulting in food supply for 10 days and made Valentina starve for the rest of the return trip - she was very angry (but survived).

Suggestion - either move small food container to earlier tech node or create another food container with food  for 10 days. Really, Minmus should be available earlier in the game.

Same reason with antennaes. My current communotron has range only for 13 Mm and Minmus is... well, it's 45 Mm away. I can send a pilot there but can't send a probe until I progress further... and it's a slow going without science from Minmus.  

I'd thought I'd pass on something I've learned playing Better Than Starting Manned (BTSM) which I think applies here.

BTSM limits the player with needing Electric Charge and for manned missions its own Life Support resource.  Batteries and Life Support are heavy.  Solar panels are only available after about midgame.

Sometimes designing a spacecraft to have more propellants and use faster trajectories is better than just having more Charge and Life Support.

Certainly going to Mun or Minmus in BTSM, I've never used a Hohmann transfer orbit.  I normally use a free-return trajectory or something faster to go to Mun, which gets me there in about 4 to 6 hours.  Going to Minmus, I normally use a fast trajectory which gets me there in 20-24 hours.  Using the mod Precise Node really helps a lot getting those trajectories just right.

Edited by Jacke

I have a suggestion for using Chatterer with this mod. Because this mod have contact with Kerbin as a factor when it comes to quality of life, wouldn't it make sense to only activate Chatterer when there is contact with Kerbin? You know, to have that audio feedback when things are working. :) I don't know if this is something @ShotgunNinja can do from within Kerbalism or if @Athlonic need to change something in Chatterer to make it work.