[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

46 minutes ago, JonGustav said:

I have a suggestion for using Chatterer with this mod. Because this mod have contact with Kerbin as a factor when it comes to quality of life, wouldn't it make sense to only activate Chatterer when there is contact with Kerbin? You know, to have that audio feedback when things are working. :) I don't know if this is something @ShotgunNinja can do from within Kerbalism or if @Athlonic need to change something in Chatterer to make it work.

It looks like Chatterer already does this with RT (note: I don't use RT, I was just checking the source of Chatterer earlier because I had the same idea). As far as I can tell @ShotgunNinja would just need to provide some hook that tells whether the focused vessel is connected to KSC. Then the rest would happen within Chatterer. 

7 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I'm thinking of adding a ScopeMultiplier value to Antenna module, so you can tweak some antennas better (eg: double 'near': just set the multiplier to 2). What you think? I could also just add a new scope in the middle between 'near' or 'far'.

Both options would fix the issue perfectly. The ScopeMultiplier would certainly be flexible enough to match any player's unforeseen edge case, while a new medium distance scope would be pleasantly simple and user friendly. If it were up to me, I'd go with the medium distance scope for simplicity's sake.

I'm having a pretty serious issue - my microwave relay satellites are not charging when not focused. In testing, I even added a 10 ec/s rtg module to a part that all the sats had, and it did nothing to help, even though they charge back to full in just a minute after being focused.  Both logs - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/807exb8af9cxftb/AAB3UuZQse1R9KJTPf27pvNda?dl=0

I've been using this mod for a few days now, and I have to say I really love it! I've only really run into the life support parts of it, but I'll be interested to see what the probe relay system is like when I get around to it!

Is there some kind of tutorial or help page on Kerbalism? All I see is wiki which is rudimentary and descriptive only. For example, I'd like to know more about the magnetospheres. What shape is it, how large, etc....

Edited by lajoswinkler

If the ship doesn't contain an urine converter which partially refurbishes the consumed liquid, then the drinks (for example, Water) would be simple expendable resource exactly like as Food is.
And IRL standalone spaceship does so, the crew just expends edible and drinkable things.
So, no difference, do you call it "Food" of "Food & Drinks" or "Drinks & Food".

If there is such device, then refurbishing some water (i.e. drinks) means the same - that you partially refurbish "Food" of "Food & Drinks" or "Drinks & Food".

So, if treat the Food as Food&Drinks (or even call it as FoodAndDrinks), one can just make a "Food&Drink regeneration device" which, being activated, restores some % of the Food being consumed.
And IRL an orbital station has such device.

Btw, as a human (and probably, kerbal) consumes 3 kg of water + 1 kg of food per day, this resource looks more like DrinksAndSnacks than FoodAndDrinks.

In any case, the crew consumes kilograms, why technological processes and propelling - tonnes, which means a great disbalance and will cause again having several "waters" (as it was with other mods: remember Water vs LqdWater vs Aquifer).

So, not a Water resource would be added, but a simple "Drinks&Food Partially Regenerating Device".

Edited by kerbiloid

@JonGustav, @Squelch7 Good idea, I'm going to look how I can do it.

@White Owl There is a new medium scope in new version. You are right its simpler this way.

@lajoswinkler The magnetosphere is spherical, I know its a bad approximation. In a later version I want to make them drop-shaped and show them in the tracking station somehow.

@lagcity613 I will investigate. Quick question, where you using curved solar panels? Because those are broken in current version and a fix is in the new one (coming soon).

Once again me, @ShotgunNinja, I have just one small question which I m asking fifth time. Is there any chance (even 10%) of making something similar to features of RT2 delays and remote control cumputer in your mod? + Is there ANY chance to make pull request to USI MKS/LS mod to include your resources to his Agriculture modules? I like your mod very much, but It s bit annoying to not get answer for 4 times....

Have a nice day

Ave!

Toonu

I signed up just to express my humble gratitude to @ShotgunNinja. The mod is awesome!

I played a excrements out of KSP last year. Week ago I decided to blow out the dust and try it once again. I remember how easy was it to reach the Minmus and land a crew on it. I thought it would still be a piece of cake with kerbalism. Man, how wrong I was!

The first mission sent to Minmus failed because kerbonauts froze to death. Yeah, baby! I was in a beginning of the hard career mode, before any solar panels were invented. So my mistake was in a miss-calculation for the amount of required batteries.

The second Minmus mission burned in the atmosphere of Kerbin, because there were none to pilot the ship – the crew died from the starvation long time before – during the flight to Minumus.

The third ship to Minmus had solar panels and plenty of food. Alas, oxygen scrubber at 50% was not enough to provide fresh air for the entirety of the flight. The crew died in agony during the return flight.

The fourth mission has been promising glory and fame to its crew. There was plenty of batteries, working solar panels, separate cash of food and few extra oxygen tanks. I even reinforced crew cabins with some radiation protection. This time, my glorious kerbonauts reached Minmus safe and sound. They even landed and placed some flags for themselves and their fallen comrades! But when everybody finished gathering that scarce scientific data, it became clear that there are not enough fuel to return Kerbin atmosphere. They could take off the Minmus and reach the high orbit of Kerbin. But that was all. So, heroic kerbonauts gave their lives on the orbit of Kerbin in a dare attempt to jump off the ship and reach the Kerbin using EVA. Their suits didn't have much battery charge, so they froze to death before the oxygen run out.

The fifth mission concluded the Minmus program by rescuing science data from the dead ship on the orbit. That dead ship was later renamed to "1st interplanetary monument". It will always remind other crews about the importance of sacrifice for the better good (and some science).

-----

Thanks again for the great stuff! It adds some much challenge to the base game.

A lot of people claim that kerbalism doesn't work with RT2. I run them both simultaneously, I just have to place 2 sets of antennas. I didn't build any major relays yet, I'm not the expert, but everything seems to work as expected so far.

On 4/21/2016 at 5:51 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

@nosscire Well, thanks buddy. I do that to maintain mental sanity :confused:

I already ignore warnings on the launchpad for Food, I through for Oxygen was too extreme as if the user forget its gonna die fast.
I wonder why you choose to take only 20%, given how light it is. Its almost free to carry around. Man take some more oxygen with you :)
But I think I'm gonna disable that warning on the launchpad in next version and see if somebody complain.

I must have missed your previous post. No signal delay will be implemented, ever. Sorry about that...

@Toonu He mentioned this a few days ago, easy to get lost in the storm that has swept this topic but there ya go.

21 minutes ago, Nakir934 said:

@Toonu He mentioned this a few days ago, easy to get lost in the storm that has swept this topic but there ya go.

Oh, really? I red almost everything, but maybe  I was lost in the tons of posts. Thx for info mate!

Ok I red now all posts from @ShotgunNinja and it s true that he said something like adding his and RT modules to all antennas. So I m sorry ShotgunNinja, I haven't noticed this posts. But still, is there a chance? :D I only don'T understand the reason for that, because your mod is for realism, and it is very realistic....

Ave!

Toonu

Edited by Toonu

@PART[habtech_cupola]:FOR[Kerbalism]

{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Entertainment
    description = The cupola offer a relaxing panoramic view of the void of space.
    rate = 2.0
  }
}

I added this to my config so the habtech cupola offers entertainment 2/3 of what the big one offers.

Does shielding get depleted over time or I can stop worrying about radiation if I maxed it in the capsule?

Also, is there a way to estimate the amount of shielding I would need if the shields indeed decay over time?

Edited by cicatrix

Shielding doesn't deplete, but you still have to worry. It just slows down radiation poisoning (I believe to roughly 10 years right now when fully maxed out) and doesn't completely stop it. You can see the duration in the VAB mod interface on page 2.

Edited by Guest83

2 minutes ago, Guest83 said:

Shielding doesn't deplete, but you still have to worry. It just slows down radiation poisoning (I believe to roughly 10 years right now when fully maxed out) and doesn't completely stop it. You can see the duration in the VAB mod interface on page 2.

Eeloo and back took 7 years the last time I've been there so it should be enough. Of course with outer planets mod I'd have to be more creative and rotate the crew somehow.

[EXC 13:24:25.868] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

KERBALISM.Lib.IsVessel (.Vessel v)
    KERBALISM.Signal.BuildAntennas ()
    KERBALISM.Signal.Update ()

anyone else getting this error in VAB/SPH? not caused by RT or USI LS

can't get to other screens

4 minutes ago, Revenant503 said:

Oh sorry that meaning wasn't really conveyed

No what was conveyed that I exclusively said those two are not at fault, it's left at your imagination in what way I might come to that conclusion and you were wrong because you could not imagine that there are people who remove mods and recreate steps and end up with the same bug.

Odd tho in a modding section of a game where that is convention.

-- edit --

that you read basically the opposite into a statement or just assume the most  cynical

just as an example if i said "it was not 1.0.5" or "it was not x64" you probably would have understood perfectly

Edited by lude

I like how you really have to pay attention to how long you're going to be in shadow if you want the crew to survive. Yesterday I was flying a Mun mission, and I did the TMI burn at midday local Kerbin time. That put me in Kerbin's shadow for a good chunk of the transit, more than my batteries could handle. I had to relaunch because the Kerbals froze to death! 

2 hours ago, Toonu said:

Oh, really? I red almost everything, but maybe  I was lost in the tons of posts. Thx for info mate!

Ok I red now all posts from @ShotgunNinja and it s true that he said something like adding his and RT modules to all antennas. So I m sorry ShotgunNinja, I haven't noticed this posts. But still, is there a chance? :D I only don'T understand the reason for that, because your mod is for realism, and it is very realistic....

Ave!

Toonu

Dude, seriously give it a rest.  Your constant questions are as bad as someone pestering a modder about upgrading for X.X compatibility.

It is important to keep in mind that modders aren't our personal programmers.  To paraphrase another popular and prolific modder "I made these mods for myself.  I am nice enough to share them with everyone else"