[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Before anything else, this mod is great !

Now to the serious matter : I think I found a bug while doing a rescue mission in career mode. The rescue mission was about a landed Kerbal on Minmus. After my landing, I switched to the Kerbal (he was on EVA) using the "[" key and activated RCS. I noticed that when right clicking on this Kerbal, he only had a monopropellant ressource (no oxygen nor EC). When trying to board my ship, the "Board" key did not have any visible effect, and when switching back focus to my ship, everything went south : "Ressources" panel in the HUD is empty, the Kerbalism HUD show nothing but a grey bar. I tried to switch back focus and now the focus seems to be blocked on the EVA Kerbal, although controls are still affected to my ship.

Starting new career with this mod and looks promising but I'm not seeing any oxygen parts in the tech tree - food yes. Jeb nearly suffocated just getting out of the atmosphere! Am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, jeepwran said:

Starting new career with this mod and looks promising but I'm not seeing any oxygen parts in the tech tree - food yes. Jeb nearly suffocated just getting out of the atmosphere! Am I missing something?

Do you have Module Manager installed? It doesn't come bundled with the Kerbalism download, so you'll need to get it from the Module Manager thread.

I've been using this for a week now in both sand box and early career modes, and here are my thoughts and observations.

Space weather is amazing. I was in the signal corps, so this was an important part of my life for years. I'm glad to see it implemented.

I'm glad you're working on RemoteTech compatibility, It adds features that your mod doesn't and vice-a-versa. I want them all.

IMO the happiness-sanity mechanics are something that should be stock in any space exploration simulation.

I am a bit concerned about the food and oxygen. It appears that there are no waste resources. This makes for difficult fuel planning as I'm not sure what the mass of a craft will be during the maneuver node. It also creates an exploit due to the Oberth effect. Additionally this makes greenhouses effective white-holes spewing matter (and therefore mass) into the craft until the tanks are full, and Kerbal digestive tracts become black-holes. Both of which grate at my aesthetics.  But I might have looked over the waste resource, in which case please ignore this point.

It seems this mod makes Scientist Kerbals obsolete by making all science transmission worth 100% of the potential science. I don't like that to the point that I won't use the mod in a long term game. Even if you adjusted the science values so that you needed a fully experienced Scientist to get full value on transmitted (and even recovered) data I would be happy. An option to turn off that part of the mod is also acceptable.

My two cents on any part failure mod. Make the failure rates reduced (preferably significantly) when an Engineer is aboard with the failure rate being inversely related to how experienced he is.

Finally, I still think greenhouses should work as scrubbers. Very low volume-output efficiency scrubbers, but scrubbers none the less. The work I've found suggests that (very roughly) 80 cubic meters of fast growing crops provides enough oxygen for one adult human.

I'm impressed with how active you have been on this mod in the week since I found it. Keep up the good work. Iom really excited about the potential this mod has.

1 hour ago, CommanderSmith said:

Do you have Module Manager installed? It doesn't come bundled with the Kerbalism download, so you'll need to get it from the Module Manager thread.

A few versions from other mods I run. Managed to find the thread and install 2.6.23. Still no oxy. Killed all other mods, no oxy. I see oxy tanks in sandbox. What tech should it be under in career?

Edited by jeepwran

@jeepwran oxygen should be in the pods, then a tank in "space exploration"

@Invader Myk Thanks. In next version I'm going to provide a sort of 'framework' that people can use to write customize everything. It will be possible to create a set of 'rules' and let the engine apply them. Then I'm going to port the current mechanics into this framework, so they also can work as example how to use it. Also the greenhouse and scrubber modules got more options and work with arbitrary resources. So I think you should be able to tweak it quite a bit.

Also waste is here, just the resource is hidden. But this can be changed, always in next version, when you can just specify your own resources.

@Gotmachine Noted, thanks.

56 minutes ago, Invader Myk said:

It seems this mod makes Scientist Kerbals obsolete by making all science transmission worth 100% of the potential science. I don't like that to the point that I won't use the mod in a long term game. Even if you adjusted the science values so that you needed a fully experienced Scientist to get full value on transmitted (and even recovered) data I would be happy. An option to turn off that part of the mod is also acceptable.

There's still resetting the experiments though. But other adjustments are welcome anyways.

11 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

In next version I'm going to provide a sort of 'framework' that people can use to write customize everything.

I'm sold. I'll be starting a new Career mode game with your next update.

19 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@jeepwran oxygen should be in the pods, then a tank in "space exploration"

Ah ha so it is! Food available so much earlier in the tech tree in "survivability" feels wrong (like I stated in original post, Jeb almost died just escaping atmosphere not from a lack of food, but of oxy). Switch the two?

I noticed that DMagic and UniversalStorage parts aren't getting the ScienceTweaks the stock parts are getting.  This appears to be due to DMagic using DMModuleScienceAnimate instead of ModuleScienceExperiment.  Changing the ScienceTweaks.cfg file from ModuleScienceExperiment to *Science* fixes this issue.

Here's the top of the file with the changes in it:

Spoiler

// ============================================================================
// Experiments data is either transmissible completely or not at all
// ============================================================================

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[*Science*]]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @MODULE[*Science*]:HAS[#experimentID[crewReport]]
  {
    @xmitDataScalar = 1
  }

@MODULE[*Science*]:HAS[#experimentID[evaReport]]
  {
    @xmitDataScalar = 1
  }

@MODULE[*Science*]:HAS[#experimentID[mysteryGoo]]
  {
    @xmitDataScalar = 0
  }

@MODULE[*Science*]:HAS[#experimentID[surfaceSample]]
  {
    @xmitDataScalar = 0
  }

@MODULE[*Science*]:HAS[#experimentID[mobileMaterialsLab]]
  {
    @xmitDataScalar = 0
  }

@MODULE[*Science*]:HAS[#experimentID[temperatureScan]]
  {
    @xmitDataScalar = 1
  }

@MODULE[*Science*]:HAS[#experimentID[barometerScan]]
  {
    @xmitDataScalar = 1
  }

@MODULE[*Science*]:HAS[#experimentID[seismicScan]]
  {
    @xmitDataScalar = 1
  }

@MODULE[*Science*]:HAS[#experimentID[gravityScan]]
  {
    @xmitDataScalar = 1
  }

@MODULE[*Science*]:HAS[#experimentID[atmosphereAnalysis]]
  {
    @xmitDataScalar = 1
  }
}

5 hours ago, Invader Myk said:

My two cents on any part failure mod. Make the failure rates reduced (preferably significantly) when an Engineer is aboard with the failure rate being inversely related to how experienced he is.

But if you have an engineer on board, you can always just hop out and repair it anyway. I think the bigger problem with the part failures are probes and satellites, which aren't really balanced. It happens so often, that it doesn't make sense to not plan for it, like giving it twice the reaction wheels or twice the solar panels. While the need for redundancy makes sense and is a great gameplay mechanic, it kind of gets pointless if you just have to double everything because you know all solar panels will fail within a few years or even months and their output gets halved.

It seems this mod makes Scientist Kerbals obsolete by making all science transmission worth 100% of the potential science.

What if only scientists would be able to take surface samples? You also need them for the science labs, so they are still useful.

@ShotgunNinja

The framework concept sounds awesome, can't wait.

For me personally, I would either greatly reduce or completely disable solar storms and moderately reduce part failures. Will this be possible?

The living space, food/oxygen, and background radiation/shielding mechanics seem very well balanced and pretty much perfect in my mind.

Two quick questions:

• Does Courage/Stupidity affect a Kerbal's likelihood of breakdown? Could be a fun variable at the margins. 
  • The wiki isn't entirely clear about this: if I, say, have a command pod with no shielding and a Hitchhiker with significant shielding, do I need to move my Kerbals into the Hitchhiker for protection?

And piling on: thank you so much for your hard work and patience, @ShotgunNinja. It's a beautiful mod.  

Guys thanks everybody.

@RzTen1 I'm going to take a look, but that should be okay.

@guest23 I already reverted to stock experience bonus for scientists, in next version. That 'tweak' was there only to cover a bug (that is now fixes in new KSP version).

Also you will be able to disable storms or tweak malfunctions rates... hold tight :)

BTW you can already tweak malfunction rates like this:

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Malfunction]]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[Malfunction]
  {
    @min_lifetime *= 10.0
    @max_lifetime *= 10.0
  }
}

@Squelch7 There is a variance that is dependent on the kerbal name (to randomize things a bit), but not on stupidity or courage. So you'll have breakdowns not all appening at the same time.

For the second question, now the mod calculate shielding (and quality-of-life stuff) for an 'INTERNAL SPACE'. If you have ConnectedLivingSpace you can have multiple internal space in the vessel, if not your vessel is assumed to have a single internal space.

So using this mod with CLS permit complex strategies to deal with radiation, like having a 'storm shelter' or having a lightweight landing module and an hardened orbital module, etc.

Without CLS, however, shielding is simply averaged over the whole vessel.

Hey guys, anyone else is getting error with installing this awesome mod via CKAN saying that it conflicts with Community Resource Pack? Can´t install both, I´m wondering what´s wrong? KSP 1.1.0

Edited by Wolfox

41 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Hey guys, anyone else is getting error with installing this awesome mod via CKAN saying that it conflicts with Community Resource Pack? Can´t install both, I´m wondering what´s wrong? KSP 1.1.0

That's because it does.

There are conflicts with the Food and Oxygen resources (not sure if there are others - those are the ones I know of)  - tho I understand that @ShotgunNinja is sorting that.  Once it's sorted, I'll remove the 'Conflicts' flag.

45 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

That's because it does.

There are conflicts with the Food and Oxygen resources (not sure if there are others - those are the ones I know of)  - tho I understand that @ShotgunNinja is sorting that.  Once it's sorted, I'll remove the 'Conflicts' flag.

Ohhh that´s why. Thanks for answer! Few days ago I installed it without any problems, so I thought that problem is on my side. Thanks for clarification!

Hi, i'm having a few issues,

The small antenna on a rover has almost no transmission range when relayed through a lander on minmus that has a larger antenna and a connection back to mission control. The rover can only get about 500m on minmus flats before losing connection even though it has a direct line of sight back to the lander.

I can't manual control the rover with a kerbal in an extrenal command seat on the rover, it only works through the remote connection so even with 3 crew onboard i can't control it without a connection.

I don't get any information on my kerbals in the details screen, i notice there is no info on your screen shots, is this supposed to be working yet?

When a kerbal leaves the command seat on a rover he doesn't take any resources with him and then just dies between the rover and the ship. They do use the rovers resources while in the seat.

Still having fun though. 

Cheers 

@dboi88 I'm pretty sure that 500m is far enough away that the curvature of Minmus would block line of sight to the larger antenna. Tou may want to try putting a relay sat or two in minmus orbit.

Myself, I'm thinking of putting a small constellation of satellites in between the Mun and minmus, which should cover everything but the very farthest side of Minmus.