[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Guys I appreciate the support :)

@Fraz86 I through RESOURCE_DEFINITION couldn't be changed using MM patches. The reason, I think, is that ModuleManager kicks in only after the resources have been compiled and just before the parts are compiled. I could be wrong here, please correct me in that case.

12 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Fraz86 I through RESOURCE_DEFINITION couldn't be changed using MM patches. The reason, I think, is that ModuleManager kicks in only after the resources have been compiled and just before the parts are compiled. I could be wrong here, please correct me in that case.

I successfully wrote a patch to modify CRP resources back in 1.05, so unless something's changed with 1.1, it is possible. I'll post an example once I get home from work.

@ShotgunNinja You will need to redundantly define and modify each resource (%RESOURCE_DEFINITION[name] doesn't work), but this appears to function as intended:

// ============================================================================
// Define resources

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Food
  density = 0.05
  unitCost = 66.0
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Food]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @density = 0.05
  @unitCost = 66.0
  @flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  @transfer = PUMP
  @isTweakable = true
}

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Oxygen
  density = 0.01
  unitCost = 0.0
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Oxygen]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @density = 0.01
  @unitCost = 0.0
  @flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  @transfer = PUMP
  @isTweakable = true
}

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Waste
  density = 0.0
  unitCost = 0.0
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = NONE
  isTweakable = false
  isVisible = false
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Waste]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @density = 0.0
  @unitCost = 0.0
  @flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  @transfer = NONE
  @isTweakable = false
  @isVisible = false
}

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = CO2
  density = 0.0
  unitCost = 0.0
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = NONE
  isTweakable = false
  isVisible = false
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[CO2]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @density = 0.0
  @unitCost = 0.0
  @flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  @transfer = NONE
  @isTweakable = false
  @isVisible = false
}

Edited by Fraz86
Updated recommended config to use more refined syntax

Been away from KSP for sometime now...taking a look at whats new and find this.

Have yet to try it (d/l it now) but this sounds amazing man!

How resource intensive is it? I typically run ALOT of mods, and while having stable x64 build helps alot...Im talking ALOT here lol. I will give it a shot on clean install if that's how it needs to be, but would love to get this going in a mod heavy game better.

Keep up what appears to be great work bud =)

The OP says you still need some parts made...  Sorry, haven't read whole thread yet, but you still need parts? I can't code to save my life, but have made many basic(ish) parts for older versions of KSP.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there any way to disable the pop-up when probes go out of communication? (It gets really annoying when it stops time warp with KCT installed)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it

Edited by Arditan427

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

If at all possible, please don't use :FINAL. If someone else also overwrites CRP and uses :FINAL then everything goes nuts.

I wouldn't say anything really "goes nuts" - it would just mean that whichever patch's parent directory comes later in the alphabet would take precedence. That said, I agree that it's generally bad practice to use :FINAL, because it doesn't leave room for others to overwrite your values (without resorting to the use of a "zzz_name" directory). Regardless, I did a bit more experimenting, and in this case it's actually entirely unnecessary for Kerbalism's resource modifications to come after CRP (or any other resource-defining mod), so I would recommend the use of a simple ":FOR[Kerbalism]" instead:

// Define resources

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Food
  density = 0.05
  unitCost = 66.0
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Food]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @density = 0.05
  @unitCost = 66.0
  @flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  @transfer = PUMP
  @isTweakable = true
}

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Oxygen
  density = 0.01
  unitCost = 0.0
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Oxygen]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @density = 0.01
  @unitCost = 0.0
  @flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  @transfer = PUMP
  @isTweakable = true
}

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Waste
  density = 0.0
  unitCost = 0.0
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = NONE
  isTweakable = false
  isVisible = false
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Waste]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @density = 0.0
  @unitCost = 0.0
  @flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  @transfer = NONE
  @isTweakable = false
  @isVisible = false
}

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = CO2
  density = 0.0
  unitCost = 0.0
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = NONE
  isTweakable = false
  isVisible = false
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[CO2]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @density = 0.0
  @unitCost = 0.0
  @flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  @transfer = NONE
  @isTweakable = false
  @isVisible = false
}

Edited by Fraz86

@KhaosCorp  Thanks a lot. Memory-wise this is quite lightweight. Computation-wise is not that heavy either. The first post has no screenshots (yet...) but there are some parts included and more are inbound! Contributions are always welcome :)

We got some food containers:

food_containers.png

and an awesome gravity hab

gravity_ring.png

and more!

parts.png

Edited by ShotgunNinja
more screenshots

I've switched over to KErbalism for 1.1.2 after being a longtime TAC junkie... I love the extra bits it gives ShotgunNinja! Though the antennas are confusing me (RemoteTech user)... You've got some great looking comms systems here, can't wait to use them on my probes! 

On the remote-tech issue; will RT support mean that the kerbalism benefits (namely being able to call home) are only in effect when connected back to Kerbin via an RT network??  

18 hours ago, Fraz86 said:

@ShotgunNinja I'd like to hear more about your plans for Kerbalism's default behavior when installed alongside CRP. If the default profile will use non-CRP resource definitions, why not have it overwrite the CRP resources? This would allow a default Kerbalism install to function correctly alongside CRP, and it would only cause problems if a player is using other mods that rely on the CRP definitions of Food and Oxygen. In my view, this conflict is relatively unconcerning, because anyone trying to use Kerbalism in combination with other mods that involve food and oxygen is almost certainly going to need a custom profile/compatibility patch anyway. Meanwhile, players who have CRP installed for other reasons (e.g., fuels) could just stick with the default profile.

I use KSPI-E and its ISRU capabilities. This means I plan to get oxygen 'in situ' if possible. Same with water, btw. This means that in order to use Kerbalism and KSPI-E along I should work with common definitions of oxygen and water at least.

@Alkem For now, I'm just assuming the vessel is linked (so you get the call-home bonus even without any antennas), while RT will be managing all its own things (control locks, etc) as usual. In a later version I may grab the linked status from RemoteTech, eventually.

Overwriting the CRP definitions would seem to defeat the purpose of CRP entirely, and would probably ensure that this remains marked as incompatible with CRP on CKAN.

I wouldn't let save-breaking changes stop you from making fixes that should be made; that's the price you pay for supporting mod development. :kiss:

Here is what I'm doing about CRP:

- set food & oxygen properties to match CRP ones
- keep defining them (with CRP properties) in the default profile, to cover the user that hasn't CRP (and don't read forums)
- rename Waste into something else and keep CO2 (instead of CRP CarbonDioxide), because these are meant to be massless and not visible (they are just an implementation detail)
- scale food and oxygen amounts on existing vessels appropriately, when the user load a savegame from 0.9.9.4 (if i manage to do it)

Food per-day: 2.8 kg, 10 units
Oxygen per-day: 1.41 kg, 1000 units

Edited by ShotgunNinja

hi there;

after reading through all the posts and saw you are incorporating changes to allow for personalisation/compatibility with other mods I'm sold, will be d/l after the next update.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Alkem For now, I'm just assuming the vessel is linked (so you get the call-home bonus even without any antennas), while RT will be managing all its own things (control locks, etc) as usual. In a later version I may grab the linked status from RemoteTech, eventually.

reading this... i know kOS links in with RT connections so maybe check their git for how its done?

@ShotgunNinja; will you have that profile ability to stop the changes to the techtree/science? and include water in the life support side of things?

cheers

Edited by casper88

24 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Here is what I'm doing about CRP:

- set food & oxygen properties to match CRP ones
- keep defining them (with CRP properties) in the default profile, to cover the user that hasn't CRP (and don't read forums)
- rename Waste into something else and keep CO2 (instead of CRP CarbonDioxide), because these are meant to be massless and not visible (they are just an implementation detail)
- scale food and oxygen amounts on existing vessels appropriately, when the user load a savegame from 0.9.9.4 (if i manage to do it)

Food per-day: 2.8 kg, 10 units
Oxygen per-day: 1.41 kg, 1000 units

While I understood your previous reluctance to use CRP I do think it's the correct choice. I'm glad you've taken that plunge. I'm eagerly awaiting the update.

@casper88 To remove the changes to techtree/science, just delete the file ScienceTweaks in KSP/GameData/Kerbalism/Patches/Tweaks. About water: yes you just need to add something like this to a .cfg file and store that file anywhere in GameData:

Spoiler

Rule
{
  name = Water
  resource_name = YourWaterResource
  waste_name = YourWasteWaterResource // optional
  rate = 0.0009259259 // 20 per-day
  interval = 0.0 // continuous
  degeneration = 0.00000661375 // 1 week
  on_pod = 200.0 // 10 days worth of water per-crew
  on_eva = 1.0 // a bit of water in the eva suit
  on_resque = 20.0 // 1 day worth of water for resque missions

warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL needs water
  danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is dehydrated
  fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL died for lack of water
  relax_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has all the water $HE_SHE needs now

low_message = Water reserves are getting low on $VESSEL
  empty_message = There is no more water on $VESSEL
  refill_message = $VESSEL water reserves restored
}

Edited by ShotgunNinja

@ShotgunNinja I'm glad to hear you're opting for full compatibility with CRP. I think it will avoid headaches down the road.

If you find yourself dissatisfied with the existing CRP definitions, it's also an option to just switch to unused resource names (e.g., Rations, Provisions, OxygenGas, etc.).

Edited by Fraz86

@ShotgunNinja Me again, with more complaints :P. It's about the EC and reaction wheels "tweaks". I'm hugely against them. My griefs :

• First, I think that it's a lot better to balance your mod against stock values than altering them. Stock balance may be imperfect (Personally, if I wanted to tweak values, I would perhaps increase EC producers weight by 50 % and batteries weight by 500 %) but it's a base to work on and as someone already pointed out, other mods are usually balanced against stock values.
  • If you want scrubbers and greenhouses to be high EC consuming, just increase their consumption rate. They are only needed once you decide to get out of Kerbin SOI. In my early/mid career, I disabled scrubbers nearly every time, it was much easier to add more oxygen than packing dozen of solar panels and batteries. Scrubbers aren't really worth the trouble until you get to third tier efficiency.
  • The way you made it, all panels before the Gigantor XL are nearly useless in comparison. If you don't have the Gigantor you need to pack literaly dozens of panels. Mid game, I launched a manned mission to Duna that required 42 OX panels for the scrubber and two greenhouses, it was barely enough.
  • The main visible effect of the tweaks is that you need between 3 and 10 times the amount of EC producing parts for the same use. Really bad for the part count.
  • You made ISRU impossible to use with solar panels, no matter the amount. Some may agree, other won't. I think that it should be let stock. If people want to tweak stock behaviour, let them do it by themselves.
  • Same for reaction wheels. Yup, they are totally unrealistic and IRL spacecraft control is only done trough RCS. If you don't like them, just don't use them. But the only effect of reducing their efficiency is that I use three time the amount and again, here goes the part count... At least, if you want to make them more balanced with RCS, just scale up their weight.
  • On a general note about balancing. Please remember that weight is the only "currency", the only resource the game is fundamentally based on and the main one that you should think about when choosing part characteristics. Unfortunately, another think to keep in mind as an important game resource is the part count.

I'm more inclined to accept your science changes, since science is really ultra easy to get in stock. But by principle, I still disagree with altering stock things.

Not related : we really need larger and inline oxygen containers (my previously mentioned Duna mission had about 30 big radial tanks). If you don't have the models, just use the stock monopropelant ones as a placeholder.

To be positive in the end, know that it's the first time I really want to play the game with a mod. Nearly all other mods that add/alter gameplay are either simplistic or too complex, most of them are obsessed with realism and they usually are boring to play with, at least for the non-hardcore gamer that I am. I really like Kerbalism because it add a second fundamental resource : time, something I find really lacking in stock. And in a well integrated, not too complex, gameplay oriented way. Congrats to you.

Edited by Gotmachine
Typo

First of all, let me say that this is an extremely well polished and ambitious mod. It has greatly enhanced my KSP experience. I've used it extensively in the past few days and by now I can really say that I can't imagine ever going back to stock difficulty. It illustrates brilliantly the difficulties of manned space travel, though it is a shame that, if you disable the 'Malfunctioning Messages' notifications, the UI doesn't show you which parts are broken so after a prolonged time warp you have to use your engineer to "right-click sweep" your entire vessel. However, the Duna+Ike mission I undertook using your mod, running for cover in Duna's magnetosphere during a coronal ejection has got to be one of the finest experiences in my 450 hours in this game. Damn, imagine going to Plock or Urlum in the Outer Planets Mod with this one. Kudos to you @ShotgunNinja!

2 questions please:

First, I've noticed that the Atmospheric Analysis and Gravioli experiments don't work when landed on a celestial body. Is this intentional or is this some bug? Because I've looked at your wiki in the Science Tweaks, and can't find anything regarding those two experiments.

Second, I can't really understand when to harvest the Greenhouse. It has a fixed 'Time to Harvest' remaining time, but it stays the same and doesn't decrease as time passes. The only button available after a while is 'Emergency Harvest', but this of course produces reduced food returns. Again, I am not sure if this is some bug or just something I don't understand yet. Respectfully, whenever you have time, a more analytical wiki would be greatly appreciated by us newcomers.

Edit: Scratch the second question, didn't realize the greenhouse replenished food stores by itself

:)

Edited by mixalios
Mistake

Hello, I've checked this post and I haven't seen my issue, so if it's repeated, excuse me please.

I have an issue with this mod, all the command pods hasn't scrubber and I don't see any option to put shields in my ships. I'm playing in the latest version of KSP, isn't it updated yet or is it just me?

Edit: I've installed Deepfreeze Continued and the parts of this mod show shielding, any idea of the problem?

Edited by CapitanMolon
New Info