[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Replace Kerbalism.dll with this one to solve the issue with depletion estimates for resources consumed by meal. I'll wait some more bugs to fix to release another version proper.

I want to thank all people that tested this: your reports have been invaluable!

Edited by ShotgunNinja

I'm quite excited to play with the new version.  Good job!

@ShotgunNinja, I've noticed that it's lacking a Kerbal-ized realistic profile (like what TAC LS uses) - would you be interested in me helping in making one for you?  It wouldn't be the exact same as TAC, but it would be similar.   I won't have the time to do it completely, but I can source you values and do the appropriate conversions.

Also, I know literally nobody else wants this feature, but is it possible to eventually add a .cfg option for resources to kill the crew not on depletion but on the capacity filling up?  I feel bad bothering you incessantly about it, and I'd love to know if it's an eventual possibility or not.  

Ok Folks,

Has anyone used Kerbalism and the Persistent Rotation mod together? If so, did you notice a subtle, but blind-siding result, considering they both seem to be working as flawlessly as one can expect these days. Since it would take me a wall of text to explain the issue, I'll just say this:

Put a decent rocket with Kerbals into low orbit, point your panels at the sun, turn on SAS, then choose the sun as the reference point in PR. Be sure to check if you can make it thru the darkside reasonably well. In fact, use warp level4 [x50] and watch it go round and round. Everything is seemingly perfect. Now go back to the space station, then hit the "Advance to next morning" button, and cringe as your kerbals all die from lack of EC.

Clearly these two mods, both of which are doing their jobs, just don't play together. It's almost as if Kerbalism has no idea what Persistent Rotation is doing, (Vessel Unloaded?) yet PR IS doing something.

Makes me wonder if Kerbalism should have it's own persistent rotation engine considering how much of the mod deals with persistence. Oh well, back to playing...

@Charlie_Zulu No bothering at all. Your offer for help on a realistic TAC-LS like profile is very welcome! I also understand the rationale for the feature you are asking. You want a flag in Rule to start degenerating the kerbal property when level of waste_resource in the vessel reach 100% capacity, correct?

Lets assume you want to simulate CO2 poisoning. You also want to simulate Oxygen deprivation too. You'll need to put them in separate rules. The CO2 poisoning one may look something like this with the feature you are asking:

Rule
{
  name = CO2_poisoning
  resource_name = CO2
  rate = // empty
  degeneration = 0.00055555 // 30 min to death
  poisoning = true // degenerate on resource capacity saturation instead of resource depletion  
  // messages and thresholds
}

@DarkonZ That's weird especially how and why it interact with the warp-to-next-morning, I'll try persistent rotation (that look like a cool idea, hate the warp to stop rotation thing) and investingate what's happening.

Edited by ShotgunNinja
changed the rule config

Finally got a chance to play a bit with this mod installed.

I have to say I am rather impressed at what I see.

The UI is clean and easy to read/use. Reading nothing more than the opening post of this thread gives one with a general (and operational) idea of how all the features work. Then there is the impact, something that worried me when first reading about this mod. From a system load standpoint I see no difference between Kerbalism and USI-LS. But the thing that really puts it over the top is how strong your modualmanager-fu is! I like mods...alot. I use alot of mods....ALOT. I saw that you had configs for NearFuture (and few others) but there were many mods I use that don't have a provided config. In honesty when first installing the mod I figured I would have to do a bunch of config edits for everything to work with Kerbalism...

NOPE!!

No matter what mod I seem to add all the parts that should work with Kerbalism do. I could see this being somewhat of a standard in the lifesupport/realism mod niche. You have really done some amazing work, and I thank you for that.

The one thing I feel is missing is a few part...literally a few, not many at all. 

A smaller (less effective of course) greenhouse is needed. Could not even be a greenhouse, but something that operates tot he same end...maybe a hydroponics module that only lasts for 5yrs or some such.

A part I feel is MISSING and not just a bonus to whats already there...a recreation and exercise module!! This should be like the greenhouse, big n heavy, only worthwhile for long term deployment. Just seems to be the few things I have seen with entertainment value are copalas n such. This not how ya keep Kerbals happy long term. They need to work out a bit, watch some tv, play some ps4. It should be power hungry as all sin (when kerbals aboard) and power use should scale depending on how many kerbal are in the module.

Just a few ideas =P

5 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Charlie_Zulu No bothering at all. Your offer for help on a realistic TAC-LS like profile is very welcome! I also understand the rationale for the feature you are asking. You want a flag in Rule to start degenerating the kerbal property when level of waste_resource in the vessel reach 100% capacity, correct?

Lets assume you want to simulate CO2 poisoning. You also want to simulate Oxygen deprivation too. You'll need to put them in separate rules. The CO2 poisoning one may look something like this with the feature you are asking:

Rule
{
  name = CO2_poisoning
  resource_name = // empty
  rate = // empty
  degeneration = 0.00055555 // 30 min to death
  waste_name = CO2
  waste_poisoning = true // degenerate on waste capacity saturation instead of resource depletion  
  // messages and thresholds
}

@DarkonZ That's weird especially how and why it interact with the warp-to-next-morning, I'll try persistent rotation (that look like a cool idea, hate the warp to stop rotation thing) and investingate what's happening.

Exactly.  Basically, a variable that says "this causes issues not when we're at zero/full capacity but at full capacity/full capacity" when true.  

As for the Persistent Rotation bug, it might be an issue with PR draining the EC of the craft for "station keeping".  AFAIK, PR has a feature where you can keep a vessel pointed at a target during warp & it automatically detracts some electric charge or monopropellant to simulate station keeping.  It seems that this feature is drawing too much EC when the vessel is unloaded and it's killing Kerbals.  

@Charlie_Zulu I've updated my previous post, simplified it. I'm going to add that feature in 0.9.9.6. And thanks for the info on PR.

@KhaosCorp Thanks you, appreciated. Did you miss the new gravity ring from a couple version ago? Man if you did check it out that its amazing. Made by mehka. It interact with the quality of life system: it provide entertainment (that soon will be renamed to 'comfort') in proportion to the rotation speed. The rotation cost EC, even in background. Check it out man :) 

gravity_ring.png

Oh, you bet I saw em!

Already planning my Kerbin LO command station around 2 of them. Its gonna be a hybrid of an ISS remake, 2 kerbalism habrings in a figure8 config, and industrial processing/leappad facility.

@KhaosCorp Your ideas for extra parts are interesting. I'm glad you like the ring, I just love it. And some more good stuff is coming in next version :wink:, our art department is in full gear.

Oh and please share a screenshot of that! I'll include it in the album.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

@ShotgunNinja I think I may have found an issue with the latest version of Kerbalism. I am using KSP's latest version, but Kerbalism doesn't seem to be adding in resources to the command pods. Not only, but the VAB Assistant also lacks all of it's features, excluding lifetime and electricity info.

I am using a few other mods, however. I'll perform some tests and try to isolate the problem for you, but as this is a game-breaking bug, I think it should be noted. I'll come back with some intel soon.

I would love to help with the parts....

BUT...

I'm not so good at parts (Davon supply mod...case n point lol), I'm worse at texturing, and can't touch IVAs with a 20ft pole.

I'm still trying to figure out how to open up .mu files outside the game so I can convert them to .stl format...then I really be playing KSP lol.

Bug confirmed: Using KSP 1.1.2 and Kerbalism v0.9.9.5 on a Mac OS, 10.11.3 and using Module Manager v 2.6.22

Bug: Command Pods/Capsules do not get food, oxygen nor shielding, VAB Helper lacks most of it's features. Further testing needs to be done to conclude if other mod aspects are missing.

[EDIT]: Tested mod reliability by removing all other mods, leaving a clean install with only MM, Kerbalism and the Squad folder in the GameData folder. Tomorrow I will try downloading a fresh copy of KSP 1.1.2 and re-installing Kerbalism first, and then all the other mods one by one.

Edited by GabrielG.A.B.Fonseca

3 hours ago, Charlie_Zulu said:

As for the Persistent Rotation bug, it might be an issue with PR draining the EC of the craft for "station keeping".  AFAIK, PR has a feature where you can keep a vessel pointed at a target during warp & it automatically detracts some electric charge or monopropellant to simulate station keeping.  It seems that this feature is drawing too much EC when the vessel is unloaded and it's killing Kerbals.  

Indeed. I did not know that. Was it written down somewhere? Unfortunately, when I get frustrated I tend to forget how to read. So is this a feature or a bug? For me, Kerbalism + PR tends to point to a bug. I'm still under the impression it is. Can this be easily fixed or not? I'm so close to starting a new (Non-Cheating) career with Kerbalism, I almost can't wait. The PR mod or persistent rotation in any form will become crucial at mid -> late game. As it stands, I'm not going to kill my Kerbals just yet. Well, I might.

BTW - I'm no expert at KSP. Just saw some things in the log files that mentioned how long a vessel was unloaded. Somehow it made sense, and yet it didn't. I dunno...

Famous! <- Why do I keep typing that?

55 minutes ago, GabrielG.A.B.Fonseca said:

Bug confirmed: Using KSP 1.1.2 and Kerbalism v0.9.9.5 on a Mac OS, 10.11.3 and using Module Manager v 2.6.22

Bug: Command Pods/Capsules do not get food, oxygen nor shielding, VAB Helper lacks most of it's features. Further testing needs to be done to conclude if other mod aspects are missing.

[EDIT]: Tested mod reliability by removing all other mods, leaving a clean install with only MM, Kerbalism and the Squad folder in the GameData folder. Tomorrow I will try downloading a fresh copy of KSP 1.1.2 and re-installing Kerbalism first, and then all the other mods one by one.

I'm surprised everything else is working for you, you're running a very old version of ModuleManager, get the 2.6.24 asap.

Appreciate for the compatibility with CPR, and remotetech.

Gonna send a engineer to destroy all the USI LS part and try this mod now.

Edited by naidis

1 minute ago, Kaboose said:

@ShotgunNinja Awesome work man!!  Just to confirm though, Remotetech is now compatible with this mod?

as changelog mentioned, "The signal mechanic is disabled automatically if you have RemoteTech or AntennaRange installed"

Just now, naidis said:

as changelog mentioned, "The signal mechanic is disabled automatically if you have RemoteTech or AntennaRange installed"

Whoops, missed that in my excitement! Thanks :D

While playing the previous version of Kerbalism, like others I also noticed that the NearFuture reactors don't work in the background, but thought: "Nah I'm not going to ask this to be fixed by ShotgunNinja, that's another mod and we can't ask him to support every other mod."

Then saw this update, and not only you fixed that but a myriad of other mod issues. :) The reduced frequency of storms and malfunctions is also a very welcome change. And malfunctions are now highlighted! Good stuff.

Also, the way everyone was helping during testing. I'm starting to see why the KSP community is so awesome.

There was a lot of bullcrap here. I updated to 0.9.9.5 by copying over, and seems like patches were applied twice (because rules were moved around).

Edited by enlait
I was wrong!

Hello world and sorry for my bad english (thanks to google lol)

This is a realy cool mod and i want to play with, but it make crash my ckan !

if Kerbalism is manualy installed, i can't refresh ckan or add new mod ! I have to remove (manualy) Kerbalism to install new mods or to ckan work fine :(