[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Two feature requests, if/when you have time:

1.) More configuration options for scrubbers in the rules settings. I can add a second scrubber module to command pods for a different resource/waste (Water/WasteWater, for example) in the current version, and it seems to work, but there's no way to rename the module, or indicate what resource it's recycling, because all the dialogs are hard coded. The in-game dialog just always has "Disable/Enable Scrubber", when I'd like to have it pull the appropriate strings from somewhere in the module rule and say something like "Disable/Enable Water Filtration" or "Disable/Enable CO2 Scrubber".

It would also be nice to have a 'lifetime' on scrubbers, limiting how long they can run or how much waste they can process before they shut down on their own.

2.) Configurable options for waste storage in rules. Right now, it looks like any time you have a resource with a waste, this bit in kerbalism.cs adds a resource entry to all crewed modules, allowing the waste to be stored:

foreach(var p in rules)
{
  Rule r = p.Value;
  if (r.waste_name.Length >  && reslib.Contains(r.waste_name))
  {
    double waste_per_day = r.rate / (r.interval > 0.0 ? r.interval : 1.0) * r.waste_ratio;
    var res = url.config.AddNode("RESOURCE");
    res.AddValue("name", r.waste_name);
    res.AddValue("amount", "0.0");
    res.AddValue("maxAmount", crew_capacity);
    extra_cost += (double)reslib[r.waste_name].unitCost * waste_per_day * crew_capacity;
  }
}

... but since the maxAmount for the resource is always being set to the crew capacity (usually 1 or 2), this only seems to work out for waste resources that have no density. Using something like WasteWater from the CRP just fills up the 1 or 2 unit tank almost immediately, and after that... well I'm honestly not sure what happens to any excess waste resource at that point. Possibly it's just lost? Anyway, I'd like to be able to set some value in a rule (on_pod_waste, maybe) that would control the maxAmount on this resource definition, so that I could properly store CarbonDioxide and WasteWater and the like.

I tried the mod just now. In the documentation it says "Early experiments rearranged in the tech tree. Start with the thermometer, then unlock the barometer right at the beginning. Only later unlock the Goo and the MatLab." but in the game, I started with the goo, then unlocked the materials lab, and only later unlocked the thermometer, and I haven't seen the barometer yet. Is the documentation wrong or is the mod malfunctioning a bit? I have 1.1.2 and no other mods.

@sp1989 I'll take a look

@Barrin 1) A 'recycler' module is planned. The reason is that the scrubber has special behaviour inside breathable atmospheres. When I add the recycler I'll add a config entry to set its displayed name in the RMB ui.

2) That is a bug! My intention was to add enough capacity to contain the waste produced by all crew members for 1 day (you see the line below I add cost for the right quantity). I'll fix that.

That function you found is run before MM patches are executed, so you could add more waste resource just with an MM patch.

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0]]
{
  @RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide] { @maxAmount += 500.0 }
  @RESOURCE[WasteWater] { @maxAmount += 100.0 }
}

@crapstar These are (lame) ascii progressbars. What you see there is a perfectly healthy kerbal.

@AdamMil Make sure you have ModuleManager 2.6.24 installed.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

Just got it, great mod! But I have a question. Is it that I need to maintain line of sight with Kerbin or KSC to control my probes? I was expecting the latter but I'm observing the former.

Hi,

this seems like a great mod. I spent the last hour reading about all its different aspects, and decided to dl through ckan, when it turns out it seems to be incompatible with CRP! So I'd have to remove 9 mods (not even counting Life Support, RT, etc. which your mod I expected to supercede). But KSPI and so many other mods require CRP (it's become such a fundamental foundation for so many mods), and I just can't bring myself to get rid of KSPI.

Do you have any plans to make your mod CRP-friendly in the future? Or is there a way to make them work together regardless of what CKAN says?

2 minutes ago, mkrco said:

Hi,

this seems like a great mod. I spent the last hour reading about all its different aspects, and decided to dl through ckan, when it turns out it seems to be incompatible with CRP! So I'd have to remove 9 mods (not even counting Life Support, RT, etc. which your mod I expected to supercede). But KSPI and so many other mods require CRP (it's become such a fundamental foundation for so many mods), and I just can't bring myself to get rid of KSPI.

Do you have any plans to make your mod CRP-friendly in the future? Or is there a way to make them work together regardless of what CKAN says?

CKAN is wrong, Kerbalism is not incompatible with CRP.

Hi, I just switched to 0.9.9.5 and I've noticed an odd bug with time compression.   When at 1000x or lower, oxygen and food deplete at the rates shown on right click vessel status menu, but going faster than 1000x appears to cause oxygen to drain at a vastly increased rate.

On my current test craft I've got 14days of food and 17days of oxygen left, but if I accelerate time to 10000x I'll run out of air in 4-5 days.  That's the amount of time reported with the scrubber disabled, so it looks like it may be cutting out.  I've got enough power and I'm not getting any alarms until oxygen gets low.

Edit: Also it looks like it's doing the same thing in the tracking station.

Edited by RzTen1

Just another report to say that I'm really enjoying this mod.  I just sent four lander probes, six commsats, and a probe "mothership" to Duna/Ike in my 6.4x game with Kerbalism .9.9.5 installed.  Several solar panels and engines malfunctioned on the way out, but I built a bit of redundancy into the system and we were able to still complete the mission and the lucrative contracts.  With the combination of this mod and the 6.4x system, I haven't felt this challenged since I did my first Jool-5.  Lots of fun!  Keep up the great work!

Fortunately it ran correctly, but the bug's still there

The same message spams my log: MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton.get_IsHovering', even in 0.9.9.5

And what is CSteamworks.dll? (Sorry for unrelated question

@mkrco Current version is compatible with CRP, but CKAN may stil be out of sync. Next version will require CRP.

@RzTen1 Fixed in next version. 

@mmgfrcs I don't get that is_Hovering exception at all. I'm starting to think it is related to another mod, maybe. CStreamworks is a library used to embed stream functionality in a game, my guess.

@casper88 What kind of profile that is? I'm asking because I could ship Kerbalism with some other extra profiles. Also it is possible to release a mod that depend on Kerbalism and just contain some rules (and maybe some parts too, if necessary - eg: water containers, recyclers, etc). Kerbalism will pick the rules from any .cfg file, so they can be in another directory.

@ShotgunNinja nope, it is Kerbalism. I disabled all other mods and the exception's still there. Even tried without the Squad folder (Surprisingly, it can start!), but still the exception spam

@ShotgunNinja whenever I install Origami antennas, the signal feature on Kerbalism is disabled, why is this? The changelog said it was compatible. I'm now testing again by removing the remotetech config file found in the Origami mod. I installed Origami through CKAN and Kerbalism through spacedock.

@ShotgunNinja if I install remotetech with Kerbalism, will the coronal mass ejection also affect signal delay? I hope it does, I love the signal delayy in Kerbalism but wish it showed the lines for connection like remotetech, I'm considering which one to install.

@ShotgunNinja removing the remotetech config in Origami worked, my question now is, if I install remotetech, will the coronal mass ejection affect it, I really wish it will so I can decide, please respond

EDIT: Removed. The rules profile settings I posted here were out of date, and a (slightly) updated version has been added to main Kerbalism package.

Edited by Barrin
Info out of date