[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

19 minutes ago, DarkonZ said:

[LOG 15:03:48.655] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Kerbalism/Parts/Greenhouse/Greenhouse/Greenhouse'
[ERR 15:03:48.664] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Kerbalism/Parts/Greenhouse/Greenhouse/Greenhouse'
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)
[ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

I'm using the realism config BTW. And yes, I know some mods spit this stuff out.

Odd, checking the part using the in-game debugger, all the resources it's supposed to have are there... I'll try a few things from the cfg side and see if it's something I goofed up on.

20 minutes ago, DarkonZ said:

And speaking of the realism config, why is the water filtration sucking done 4.0 EC? Last I checked, the mobile science lab nabs 5.0 EC when in use. Right? As it stands, a single kerbal in a command pod who turns on the water filter sucks down almost as much power as the Scilab that has 2 kerbals? Even the greenhouse only uses 0.5 EC. Are we sure the water filter isn't supposed to be 0.4 EC instead? <- But wouldn't that be a bit heavy handed as well.

That's the rate when it's actively filtering water (which should only be for short bursts about four times per day). The planner isn't quite accurate in how it displays that right now, but that should improve down the line. In total, leaving the water filtration system on will cost you about 25 EC per Kerbalnaut each time it starts up, which will happen 4 times per day, for a total of 100 EC per day per Kerbalnaut. (Or about 0.005 EC per second, if you want a comparison to other systems that run constantly.)

13 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Sorry if I sound stupid, but where are those new parts? I don't see them. :sealed:

They should be on their own tab at the bottom of the part list when you're editing a ship in the VAB/SPH.

51 minutes ago, DarkonZ said:

[LOG 15:03:48.655] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Kerbalism/Parts/Greenhouse/Greenhouse/Greenhouse'
[ERR 15:03:48.664] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Kerbalism/Parts/Greenhouse/Greenhouse/Greenhouse'
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)
[ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

Found the problem, and it was my goof. In the greenhouse section of the realism config, there's a bit that adds a waste storage tank to the greenhouse:

RESOURCE
  {
    name = Waste
    isTweakable = false
    isVisible = true
    maxAmount = 90.0 // Large enough to store ~2 weeks of waste for a 3 man crew
  }

But I forgot to specify an initial amount. It should have been:

RESOURCE
  {
    name = Waste
    isTweakable = false
    isVisible = true
    amount = 0.0
    maxAmount = 90.0 // Large enough to store ~2 weeks of waste for a 3 man crew
  }

I'll make sure it's fixed in the next version, and for now you can just copy-paste that into the "Customize greenhouse" section of the config if you want the error to go away.

I was checking through the Environment and Electric Charge tabs in the Kerbalism status menu when I noticed that one of the Outer Planets Mod moons has a large temperature (3593K) and a correspondingly high e.c/s (1.07/s). The moon in question, Tal actually orbits another moon, Wal in the Urlum system. This issue also occurs for Karen in the Plock-Karen system, but only when Sigma-Binary is installed. From this I think there is an issue with the temperature calculation concerning bodies that don't orbit a planet or Kerbol directly.

First of all Thanks for the perfect mod!

Now for the problem.

Switched from Default profile to Realism since 0.9.9.9

Well, its kinda works, but continuosly spams in logs with NRE and even slows and crushes game from time to time:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Vessel.<GetUnloadedVesselMass>m__7E6 (.ProtoPartResourceSnapshot x) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UniLinq.Enumerable.Sum[ProtoPartResourceSnapshot] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 selector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Vessel.GetUnloadedVesselMass () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Vessel.GetTotalMass () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Vessel.CalculatePhysicsStats () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Vessel.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Suspect some mod incompartibility, but beeing almost technicaly dumb cannot find out, where incompartibility is. Default profile still works perfect.

The solution probably been allready found, but cannot find it using my poor english skill.

Modlist:

[x] Science!

000_Toolbar

AviationLights

Chatterer

CommunityResourcePack

ConnectedLivingSpace

Crowd Sourced Science

CxAerospace

DistantObject Enhancement

DMagicOrbitalScience

FuelTanksPlus

GPOSpeedFuelPump

RPM

KAC

KAS

KIS

KJR

Kerbalism

KerBaloons

Final Frontier

Persistent Rotation

PlanetaryBases

PlanetShine

ProceduralFairings

RCSBuildAid

RealPlume

RemoteTech

SCANsat

Scatterer

ShipManifest

SmokeScreen

SpeedUnitChanger

StockVisualEnhancements

TextureReplacer

Trajectories

UniversalStorage

WaypointManager

Output.log itself: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-I0OksEqvBGclZNZDJsSkx6TVU/view?usp=sharing 

UPD: Well, new career start has no NREs. Think it's carma, my game allways brakes between flights to Mun and to Duna...

Edited by Khargee

@ShotgunNinja will you make Kerbals lose health due to being in zero gravity for too long, this should notice if the Kerbals are in a gravity field and if the ship is rotating creating gravity, this could work with persistent rotation. Also, if the Kerbals are near a high gravitation field this should also reduce their health. This would be great. Also can you incorporate persistent rotation into this mod.

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

@ShotgunNinja will you make Kerbals lose health due to being in zero gravity for too long, this should notice if the Kerbals are in a gravity field and if the ship is rotating creating gravity, this could work with persistent rotation. Also, if the Kerbals are near a high gravitation field this should also reduce their health. This would be great. Also can you incorporate persistent rotation into this mod.

Persistent Rotation is already its own mod. And I'm sure the mechanics associated with the rotation is different from what Kerbalism modifies. 

On 5/14/2016 at 1:05 PM, nonilareiwo said:

Wow! This looks like the ultimate realism mod! :D Will definitely be on my list once it's 1.1 compatible.  bookmarking

o.png

This sounds similar to KeepFit, but it would be nice if a similar feature was integrated to Kerbalism.

@Liondrome I know what's going on. You are right I assume a body orbit the star, or another body that orbit the star. So for the two bodies in question the system is using the wrong distances, as these were very near the sun. Will fix in next version.

@Khargee In general, switching profile for an existing savegame is not recommended as resources, consumption rates and mechanics change. For example, if you start a game with the Snacks profile and then switch to Default all your existing vessels will be referencing a resource (snacks) that doesn't exist anymore. If you do the opposite switch, instead, all your Kerbals will die of oxygen deprivation. What is happening here, I'm guessing from the log, is that your existing vessels had CO2 and Crap resources that are now unknown to the game. This lead to the exceptions being thrown during mass calculation by the game engine.

@The-Doctor Anything else? :P Persistent rotations is beyond the scope of this mod. Your idea is cool, just too complex to implement right now.

@ShotgunNinjaI have been unable to test the new update yet due to pc problems, but can you target the satellite you want to relay your signal like in RemoteTeh? I think this would help this mod a lot, and enable us to easily choose what satellite is targeting what spacecraft, that way we know if we need more antennas, or does the relay feature work by all antennas basically being able to receive signal from more than one antenna and target more than one antenna, lol, please further explain the signal system and how to use it.

@The-Doctor The signal system is similar to AntennaRange, with these differences:

• relaying must be explicitly enabled per-antenna
  • the act of relaying consume EC, even in background
  • the way transmission costs scale with distance is different

More informations are here. If you want something more complex I suggest you disable the signal mechanic and use RemoteTech instead.

@ShotgunNinja I really beg you make this mod not depend on community resource pack. It's ok if it's compatible, but I really hate installing too much mods which I already do, and having to absolutely must install community resource pack really hurts my head.

@ShotgunNinja can you make the space weather affect the signals in RemoteTech in the next update, I think that would really solve all my anxieties about the signal feature.

@The-Doctor Lets see... should I keep using CRP and having a lot of other mods work flawless with this one out of the box, or should I remove it so that my friend The-Doctor will avoid installing a mod that consist of just a .cfg file with the resources? I think I'll go with the former.

Also, you are vastly underestimating how much work is required behind the hood to make a mod, so that you can have some fun for free. You should stop asking features after features and starting enjoying what you have.

Hi @ShotgunNinja,

Thanks again for Kerbalism, wouldn't play KSP without it!

I just wanted to report that unless I'm mistaken it may be introducing some frame rate stuttering (I compared the game with and without it installed). This is not a degradation of the peak frame rate but rather a slight pause every few seconds. IMHO this could be due to the Garbage Collector having to reclaim too many short-lived objects (.NET GC performance, the Mono GC is slightly different but the same rules apply I think). I just had a very quick look at your code and I noticed that you seem to use the "+" operator on strings for instance. This is a source of a lot of such objects (strings are immutable and each "+" operator actually generates a single use new one) and may be related to this little issue? 

Just my two cents :)

Cheers, David

5 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

It seems you don't know how orbiting works. Unless we're talking about extremes such as degenerate matter stars or black holes, gravity fields can't be perceptible in orbits because the gradient of the field is incredibly small. You're falling around the object - all of your particles are doing the same.

Whether you orbit Jupiter or a comet, you don't feel anything - you're weightless. In certain cases, when the object you orbit is dense and sufficiently small (Earth, for example), orbiting low enough exibits observable microgravity which arises from the fact differently positioned objects orbit at different speeds. Lower ones go faster, higher ones go slower. If they are connected by a tether or one inside another, a force between them will occur. That's why free floating stuff in ISS sticks to the walls after a couple of hours.

In case of sufficient proximity to black holes (happens to be inside event horizon for enormous ones), this effect is so strong that it eventually rips everything apart, even nuclei, as matter spirals toward the center.

Therefore Kerbals' health wouldn't change depending on where they orbit. It would decay the same.

But I love the idea of health decay in microgravity.

This is a brilliant mod. Am I correct in assuming you conceived it as a generic resource usage mod, so changing up its behavior is mostly a matter of modifying the Profile CFG?

And my apologies, but I'm a little confused by your instructions in _readme. If I want to enable TAC, I rename TAC.cfg-disabled to TAC.CFG; that much is clear. But do I also need to rename default.cfg to default.cfg-disabled? Basically, does the mod assume there is only one active profile cfg file, or are they intended to be cumulative?

And forgive me for asking a very specific question, but let's say I wanted to modify crew reports to be biome dependent in low orbit. I'd assume we'd add the following to ScienceTweaks.cfg:

// Crew report biome-dependent in space
@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[crewReport]]:FOR[Kerbalism]
{
  @biomeMask = 48
}

Is that correct? Is there a list of what codes are used for which biome / situation mask? 

Thanks again, and sorry for troubling you.

12 hours ago, DarkonZ said:

Last thing, how will Kerbalism fit in with PlanetaryBaseSystems? Seems that mod got an update. I'm asking cuz I think RoverDude mentioned his stuff wouldn't work so well with the Kerbalism? [Been said before]. Doesn't the PlanetaryBaseSystems mod share the same mechanics? Just curious.

The compatibility section of Kerbalism lists PlanetaryBaseSystem as a compatible mod. If i recall correctly from the discussion going on in this thread, this is due to the fact that new parts introduced are flagged to be consuming EC in the background. From a food production prospective however, I'm not sure. I'm currently in a career mode with this two modes installed: i haven't built a base yet but i'll update on my findings. 

14 minutes ago, RattiRatto said:

The compatibility section of Kerbalism lists PlanetaryBaseSystem as a compatible mod. If i recall correctly from the discussion going on in this thread, this is due to the fact that new parts introduced are flagged to be consuming EC in the background. From a food production prospective however, I'm not sure. I'm currently in a career mode with this two modes installed: i haven't built a base yet but i'll update on my findings. 

I've played almost 200 hours with Kerbalism and PlanetaryBaseSystem and have only had one issue with one of the pre release versions i tested. It's been working perfectly.

@John Nowak Correct, it is a framework that run a set of zero or more rules. Rules can be defined inside any .cfg file in GameData. The convention I've used is to store set of rules in single .cfg files that I called 'profiles'. The ones shipped are meant to be mutually exclusive , so you should enable only one at the same time. Note that this is just a convention and you can for example create a rule of your own design, that is meant to be added to the set of rules the player is using. In that case there is no need for mutual exclusion.

For your second question, biomeMask is interpreted by the game engine as a bitfield were each bit set the experiment to be biome-dependent (or not) on a specific situation.
These are the bits meanings:

Situation bit_index 2^bit_index
SrfLanded 0 1
SrfSplashed 1 2
FlyingLow 2 4
FlyingHigh 3 8
InSpaceLow 4 16
InSpaceHigh 5 32

To combine them, just sum the 2^bit_index values together. Here are some examples:

// biome-dependent when splashed (2), or high in space (32)
biomeMask = 34

// biome-dependent when landed (1), splashed (2), flying low (4) or in space low (16)
biomeMask = 23

@RattiRatto PBS include MM patches to work with Kerbalism, and Kerbalism simulate the PBS converters in background.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Ah, excellent. Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to make sure of. 

One minor point I ran into: like Kerbalism, TAC-LS makes more use of electricity, so it edits the tech tree to make the small Z-100 battery available early on. With either mod, I'm really not sure if it's possible to survive an orbit in an early pod before batteries are available. 

As it happens, I have SoundingRockets installed, which comes with a very early 20 point battery. That was an enormous help in the pre-Z100 days of my new career. So I'd suggest you consider some sort of early game electricity boost; either make the smallest battery available early, or provide a small battery early on.

@ShotgunNinja

Is there a way to completely disable the radiation feature? I've tried commenting it out as well as removing it completely from Default.cfg, yet in game if I cross the radiation belt I still get notified about the radiation.

I love the mod, but I'd like to disable only the radiation.

10 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@The-Doctor The signal system is similar to AntennaRange, with these differences:

• relaying must be explicitly enabled per-antenna
  • the act of relaying consume EC, even in background
  • the way transmission costs scale with distance is different

More informations are here. If you want something more complex I suggest you disable the signal mechanic and use RemoteTech instead.

@ShotgunNinja, version 0.9.9.9 is great and I think the signal system is realistic enough without loosing gameplay, thanks!

Unfortunately, I think the connection lines are having some rough time being drawn: they flicker and jump a little in comparison with other mods (Antenna Range, for example)... What do you think?

5 minutes ago, jlcarneiro said:

@ShotgunNinja, version 0.9.9.9 is great and I think the signal system is realistic enough without loosing gameplay, thanks!

Unfortunately, I think the connection lines are having some rough time being drawn: they flicker and jump a little in comparison with other mods (Antenna Range, for example)... What do you think?

Yeah. I remember that also RemoteTech had this problem in his first iteration, than got fixed, I presume it will get better

3 hours ago, John Nowak said:

Ah, excellent. Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to make sure of. 

One minor point I ran into: like Kerbalism, TAC-LS makes more use of electricity, so it edits the tech tree to make the small Z-100 battery available early on. With either mod, I'm really not sure if it's possible to survive an orbit in an early pod before batteries are available. 

As it happens, I have SoundingRockets installed, which comes with a very early 20 point battery. That was an enormous help in the pre-Z100 days of my new career. So I'd suggest you consider some sort of early game electricity boost; either make the smallest battery available early, or provide a small battery early on.

Which profile are you using? I've started a bundle of careers under Kerbalism (even under SSRSS in one case) and I've never had any trouble running out of electricity in the early game (including orbit).

I think he's already moved the first solar panel and battery to earlier nodes.