[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

4 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@rkman There was a problem with performance from version 0.9.9.5 to version 0.9.9.7. Other than that, I see no perceptible slowdown at all with 20 vessels of various complexity. That being said an optimization pass is planned in the future.

I also never see the time counter green, it's yellow with only 10 part crafts in orbit. I've been looking forward to the optimization pass hoping it'll fix it, but, , to be honest i'm pretty sure it's unrelated to Kerbalism alone, i'm running quite a modded install. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

3 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Box of Stardust, @dboi88 Radiation shielding and quality of life factors are calculated per internal space if you have CLS installed, else they are calculated for the whole vessel. With CLS, you can have an internal space with weak shielding and strong quality of life, for the long travel time. Then you can have a separed internal space with strong shielding and weak quality of life, for the times you cross the radiation belt or when a solar storm hit. I guess the best way to see how it works is to launch a vessel with multiple internal spaces and have a look at the vessel info window.

Is it designed such that we don't have to micromanage the kerbals into these spaces? I remember that being an issue, but forget the answer. And in that case, I assume there has to be enough space for all crew in either scenario. 

Since someone mentioned Planetary Base Systems might be Ok to use with Kerbalism I installed it. There be some problems with the realism config for sure, mostly resource stuff like the following:

Could not create PartResource of type 'Crap
Could not create PartResource of type 'CO2

But this last one has me miffed as to how to fix. The PBS mod greenhouse (2 of them) has both the normal Kerbalism greenhouse component, and it also seems to have the TACLS stuff as well. I'd guess this line has to do with it:

@Settings:FOR[TacLifeSupport]:NEEDS[UniversalStorage] {} <-- Yep, I've got Universal Storage back in as well.

But then, doesn't PBS make use of the TACLS reference also? Oh what fun.

@ShotgunNinja Regarding radiation, I think the planner interface could be made a little more clear. I find it confusing how even for landed at Kerbin I still see a 250 days lifespan. Maybe just put a little note saying the selected location is inside the magnetosphere?

Also, I mentioned in a previous post (which appears to have gone unnoticed as it was awaiting moderator approval for a little while), it would be great if antennas were disabled when they are not extended. Maybe adding very short range antennas to probes to allow for takeoff or have an unbreakable antenna similar to RemoteTech.

Thanks for this awesome mod!

1 hour ago, DarkonZ said:

Since someone mentioned Planetary Base Systems might be Ok to use with Kerbalism I installed it. There be some problems with the realism config for sure, mostly resource stuff like the following:

Could not create PartResource of type 'Crap
Could not create PartResource of type 'CO2

Did you start a new save game when you changed to the realism config, or load an old save? (Those two resources shouldn't be showing up at all with the realism config, unless they're coming in from a part/vessel that was created prior to the switch.)  EDIT: Ah ha, looks like PBS includes a compatibility config for Kerbalism that uses the Crap and CO2 pseudo-resources for several parts. The realism config doesn't use those resources though, I used resources from the CRP instead, so I don't think PBS is going to work with the realism config without some serious tweaking. I'll see if I can write a patch this weekend, and compatibility might be better in the future depending on what direction the main Kerbalism mod goes with resources, but I can't make any promises there. It's not my mod, after all, I've just been enjoying tinkering with it.

1 hour ago, DarkonZ said:

But this last one has me miffed as to how to fix. The PBS mod greenhouse (2 of them) has both the normal Kerbalism greenhouse component, and it also seems to have the TACLS stuff as well. I'd guess this line has to do with it:

@Settings:FOR[TacLifeSupport]:NEEDS[UniversalStorage] {} <-- Yep, I've got Universal Storage back in as well.

But then, doesn't PBS make use of the TACLS reference also? Oh what fun.

Yeah, that was a bit of a kludge to get some basic parts from US that require TAC-LS normally. I'll grab a copy of PBS and take a look at it, see what can be done, and when I have a bit of time this weekend I'll see if I can't find a less kludgey way of enabling the specific parts from US and just those parts.

Edited by Barrin

5 hours ago, dboi88 said:

I also never see the time counter green, it's yellow with only 10 part crafts in orbit. I've been looking forward to the optimization pass hoping it'll fix it, but, , to be honest i'm pretty sure it's unrelated to Kerbalism alone, i'm running quite a modded install. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

Same here. Always yellow, even though this is a brand new system with an i5-6600k. Then again, my Kerbalism career save currently includes 31 small satellites, 14 landed probes, 2 large interplanetary probe motherships, 3 fuel depots, and two large stations, each with dedicated lander craft. And I've only made it as far as Duna and Eve so far. :-) 

I'm also running EVE and scatterer for the first time, and I think that strategia and final frontier are also contributing to the computational slowdown.

I tried to use the new Realism CFG. I couldn't get it to work. It didn't load the Filtration resource or and parts to store water. Quick suggestion: Can you add inline Oxygen storage as well as radical? And in real life scrubbers don't turn CO2 into O2, they just remove the CO2 so the levels don't reach lethal. I recommend some form of Sabatier reactor part, an inline or radical part that consumes electricity in exchange for converting CO2 back into O2. It would probably be another one of those upgrade technology devices. And I personally don't like the filtration resource thing, I would prefer some form of scrubber-like distiller or moisture reclaimer. Can't wait for Kerbalism 1.0                                           

Edited by BashGordon33
weird bug problem

I have a question a gameplay question, how do you guys manage to provide enough EC to your mining operations? I run pretty much a stock installation parts wise so I use only solar panels and fuel cell for generating EC and I have always problems feeding drillers or converter for a long period of time

I would not like to increas too much the parts number adding massive ammount of solar panels or rtg, thanks

I see that the radiation feature mentions i can add shielding, but that it comes at a great cost in mass.

How do i add shielding? Is it a mod or a tweak to excisting modules?

When does it make sense to use shielding? Jebediah seemed fine after a 2 day trip around Mun.

14 minutes ago, Kebra said:

I see that the radiation feature mentions i can add shielding, but that it comes at a great cost in mass.

When does it make sense to use shielding? Jebediah seemed fine after a 2 day trip around Mun.

Shielding is a Resource which with a slider on every inhabited section (Like EC, MonoPropellant, etc..) if you right click on the command pod you will see you can slide it up or down.

The Kerbalism tab in the VAB will show you how much life expectancy your kerbals have with the set level of shielding. Usually for Mun/Minmus you don't need it. 

15 minutes ago, Kebra said:

On each parts with seats you can add shiedling like another resource similar to food/oxygen

7 hours ago, brusura said:

I have a question a gameplay question, how do you guys manage to provide enough EC to your mining operations? I run pretty much a stock installation parts wise so I use only solar panels and fuel cell for generating EC and I have always problems feeding drillers or converter for a long period of time

Fuel cells EC output was reverted back to stock in 0.9.9.9 to address this specific issue, so the behaviour with them should be the same as the stock game. Note that vessels launched prior to 0.9.9.9 won't update to the new consumptions. Solar panels are still nerfed, so I recommend to avoid using them for mining operations.

@ShotgunNinja This said, as it already was pointed out, it seems that background resources consumption is (very) inconsistent at high time warp levels, usually leading to a much higher consumption than what should have been. To avoid this, either don't use the two higher time warp levels or do time-warping while keeping your mining rig as the active vessel.

I've got a part pack that i want to nerf. Is it possible to increase the frequency of malfunctions for a specific part using an MM patch? I want to force the engines to require regular maintenance and so can only be useful with an engineer around.

Also can i change what the malfunction is? I have an engine that uses lots of electricity and i want to make it require even more when it malfunctions.

34 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Is it possible to increase the frequency of malfunctions for a specific part using an MM patch? I want to force the engines to require regular maintenance and so can only be useful with an engineer around.

You can take a look under GameData/Kerbalism/Patches/Malfunction.cfg, it shows how malfunctions are applied. It should just be a matter of changing the lifespan for particular parts, but I believe @ShotgunNinja has talked about moving this to a global setting so it might not work with future versions.

34 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Also can i change what the malfunction is? I have an engine that uses lots of electricity and i want to make it require even more when it malfunctions.

I'd be very interested in this but I don't think it's currently possible to make malfunctions change characteristics other than the default one. For engines this is overheating.

Question, I would love your mod for my next 64K save im doing, but im wondering if it is at all compatible with that mod since alot of values seem like they wouldn't work right without a change being made.

Edited by nosirrbro

8 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

Question, I would love your mod for my next 64K save im doing, but im wondering if it is at all compatible with that mod since alot of values seem like they wouldn't work right without a change being made.

I just asked this same question a few pages ago. Yes it works, I'm running a 64K with it right now. It adapts to the scale you are using.

Just now, Vegetal said:

I just asked this same question a few pages ago. Yes it works, I'm running a 64K with it right now. It adapts to the scale you are using.

Yay :D

Super happy ShotgunNinja thought of us who arent using stock

50 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

@ShotgunNinja sorry about that, I'm just really excited about this mod, I've noticed that this new update signal lines where meant to be included but they are not appearing

You need to enable them per craft. Just click the Kerbalism button and click a vessel name, it should offer you the option in there.