[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

I truly apologize if this question has already been asked and answered. I also apologize if it is merely my inability to follow instructions, but I am having trouble following your ...text...  I really want to play this mod as you have intended with all features as you intended them playing to their normal parameters.  However, on a straight CKAN install I do not see any usage of or tracking of food, oxygen or anything else, only EC usage and even then, it doesn't use EC as much as I would have expected.  It is though I have no mod installed, except for the monitor on the toolbar.  I have tried to look at and understand your "profiles" but I am having an issue with the translation to english.  I take full responsibility for my inability to  comprehend what is missing or that which I am doing wrong and again I apologize for it.  However, unless I can over come this issue, I will be unable to use your amazing mod.

All I would like is to work in a a manner similar to TAC Life Support did with all the extra goodies you included with respect to "weather" and such.  If you, or anyone else can help me setup my game to do that, I would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know what you need to help me and I will happily provide it.  Thank you again for your patience and assistance.

Truly appreciate all the work that went into the creation of this mod.  It is obvious you put in an extraordinary amount of time, thought and effort.

I've tried the mod, but it's just not for me.  Making a mod that completely excludes long term mods, such as RemoteTech, TAC-LS, etc, seems counter-intuitive to the KSP modding community.  So many other mods work well together, but you seem to have designed a mod specifically to be exclusive of others.

Good luck.  I know you have a certain fan base in this mod, but you can count me as one of those who won't use it as currently configured.

Having a problem with Kerbalism and Interstellar Mod.

I'm having a mothership in orbit of Duna with 1 Kerbal aboard. On Duna I have a lander with 3 Kerbals and ISRU, which is meant to fly refuel missions for the mothership.

Both ships are equipped with nuclear reactors and a thermal electric generator. So they don't need batteries, solar panels and basically will never run out of electric charge.

However, when switching to the lander on Duna and timewarping for mining and refining ore, I'm still constantly getting stopped after some seconds by warning messages, that the mothership is running out of electric charge, "we are squeezing out the last bits ..."

When I ignore the messages, the Kerbal aboard the mothership eventually dies due to lifesupport system shutdown. But when I switch to the mothership it instantly says "Relax ... Power restored. Crew is allowed music again".

How to handle this? Haven't found related search results.

Edited by nuclearping

26 minutes ago, nuclearping said:

Having a problem with Kerbalism and Interstellar Mod.

I'm having a mothership in orbit of Duna with 1 Kerbal aboard. On Duna I have a lander with 3 Kerbals and ISRU, which is meant to fly refuel missions for the mothership.

Both ships are equipped with nuclear reactors and a thermal electric generator. So they don't need batteries, solar panels and basically will never run out of electric charge.

However, when switching to the lander on Duna and timewarping for mining and refining ore, I'm still constantly getting stopped after some seconds by warning messages, that the mothership is running out of electric charge, "we are squeezing out the last bits ..."

When I ignore the messages, the Kerbal aboard the mothership eventually dies due to lifesupport system shutdown. But when I switch to the mothership it instantly says "Relax ... Power restored. Crew is allowed music again".

How to handle this? Haven't found related search results.

I had a similar issue and I asked to ShotgunNinja. He needs to patch Kerbalism to support the Interstellar energy source and he will in a near future. We have just to be patient and for now add batteries and solar panels for EC generation instead of reactors. 

7 hours ago, BlazeIV said:

I truly apologize if this question has already been asked and answered. I also apologize if it is merely my inability to follow instructions, but I am having trouble following your ...text...  I really want to play this mod as you have intended with all features as you intended them playing to their normal parameters.  However, on a straight CKAN install I do not see any usage of or tracking of food, oxygen or anything else, only EC usage and even then, it doesn't use EC as much as I would have expected.  It is though I have no mod installed, except for the monitor on the toolbar.  I have tried to look at and understand your "profiles" but I am having an issue with the translation to english.  I take full responsibility for my inability to  comprehend what is missing or that which I am doing wrong and again I apologize for it.  However, unless I can over come this issue, I will be unable to use your amazing mod.

All I would like is to work in a a manner similar to TAC Life Support did with all the extra goodies you included with respect to "weather" and such.  If you, or anyone else can help me setup my game to do that, I would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know what you need to help me and I will happily provide it.  Thank you again for your patience and assistance.

There are two Kerbalism installs on CKAN. One is the mod, and one is the profiles. Did you install both?

(Disclaimer: I don't use CKAN so this suggestion is just an educated guess.)

2 hours ago, SFCGunny313 said:

Truly appreciate all the work that went into the creation of this mod.  It is obvious you put in an extraordinary amount of time, thought and effort.

I've tried the mod, but it's just not for me.  Making a mod that completely excludes long term mods, such as RemoteTech, TAC-LS, etc, seems counter-intuitive to the KSP modding community.  So many other mods work well together, but you seem to have designed a mod specifically to be exclusive of others.

Good luck.  I know you have a certain fan base in this mod, but you can count me as one of those who won't use it as currently configured.

You do know there is a cfg to use TAC-LS instead of the default life support system. And kerbalism will detect if Remote Tech is installed and use it instead. So far you havent given any legit reason to not use kerbalism. But you're welcome to do whatever.

5 minutes ago, zeant93 said:

This mod works with TAC Life Support at the same time?

Yup. But I never bothered using the other cfg's. When I used TAC in the past I would remove the need for water anyways so there is no point for me. If you cant get it to work someone else will have to explain how to set it up

Edited by Genolution

3 hours ago, Genolution said:

You do know there is a cfg to use TAC-LS instead of the default life support system. And kerbalism will detect if Remote Tech is installed and use it instead. So far you havent given any legit reason to not use kerbalism. But you're welcome to do whatever.

Sorry, but I'm not about to start the process of manually editing and re-configuring various mods so they can play well together.  Either they work as is, without a user required manipulation, or they don't.

But thank you for proving my point about immediate incompatibility.

@BlazeIV When installing using CKAN, be sure to install both Kerbalism as weel as Kerbalism-Profile-Default packages. The former is only the 'engine' running the rules and simulating the resources and the environment. The latter is the default profile that enable all mechanics including Food and Oxygen consumption.

@SFCGunny313 The life support, quality of life and radiation mechanics are now data-driven: their presence and parameters are specified using 'rules' in a .cfg file. You can run this with none of them, or only some, or even design your own rules as you see fit. Then the signal and malfunction mechanics can be completely removed, and are removed automatically if another mod that implement similar mechanics is detected. You can use this only as a background resource simulation if you want.

@zeant93 There is a profile that emulate TAC life support (use TAC.cfg in the profiles/ directory), but you can also just run it along the original TAC (by using no profile at all or a profile with no life support rules, eg: Barebone.cfg that only has the quality of life).

8 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

The life support, quality of life and radiation mechanics are now data-driven: their presence and parameters are specified using 'rules' in a .cfg file. You can run this with none of them, or only some, or even design your own rules as you see fit. Then the signal and malfunction mechanics can be completely removed, and are removed automatically if another mod that implement similar mechanics is detected. You can use this only as a background resource simulation if you want.

Is there a way to disable Life Support shutdown due to Electric Charge loss? So Interstellar mod users can use your mod without the problems I described above?

Or any ETA on Interstellar compatibility?

Great mod btw. It covers alot of things I wished for since a long while. Will for sure donate some € if I can get it running properly with Interstellar mod.

Edited by nuclearping

16 minutes ago, SFCGunny313 said:

Sorry, but I'm not about to start the process of manually editing and re-configuring various mods so they can play well together.  Either they work as is, without a user required manipulation, or they don't.

But thank you for proving my point about immediate incompatibility.

I think I understand. Your a busy guy and can't be bothered. Which is why you took the time today to start a forum account and then post about how you wont use a mod because it's not exactly what you wanted with no effort from you. Ahhh, wait, what?

5 hours ago, SFCGunny313 said:

Wow, someone needs to turn that attitude around.  Do you think the "KSP modding community" makes mods for YOU?  Most, if not all modders create things that THEY want to see in game.  If THEY want it to work with other mods then they will do so because its what THEY want.

Then these modders release their creations to the world, often to get beat up by people who think they work for the community.

@nuclearping Unfortunately Interstellar Extended is a huge mod. It doesn't just have a couple modules to add support for, it has tens of them... And all very complex ones. It is unlikely I will add support for all of them.

@SFCGunny313 Download Kerbalism from CKAN, without downloading a profile package, and this mod consume/produce EC in background (with a simple UI to monitor and plan vessels). Then, if you got 1 minute to spare, go into Profiles/ directory and rename Barebone.cfg-disabled to Barebone.cfg: this will add the quality of life mechanic. When CKAN version (not this mod, CKAN proper) is updated, you will be able to 1-click install the other profiles, for now you need to rename them manually.

24 minutes ago, Genolution said:

I think I understand. Your a busy guy and can't be bothered. Which is why you took the time today to start a forum account and then post about how you wont use a mod because it's not exactly what you wanted with no effort from you. Ahhh, wait, what?

Is there a particular reason you're being overly combative?  Did I somehow offend you?  Did I not acknowledge and appreciate all of the work and time he put into developing this mod?

I don't understand what is compelling you to be so overly aggressive? 

3 minutes ago, SFCGunny313 said:

Is there a particular reason you're being overly combative?  Did I somehow offend you?  Did I not acknowledge and appreciate all of the work and time he put into developing this mod?

It's not agressive to point out how your behavior makes no sense. If you wish to appear as if you are going well out of your way to criticize for reasons nobody can even relate to thats fine. I'll just hang out and enjoy the show.

7 minutes ago, SFCGunny313 said:

Sure you did the classic, "I'm going to start with a compliment BUT..." post.  It's the same one when people say, I don't mean to sound like a self centered jerk... when they are about to say something that is self centered and jerky.

So far pretty much all of your posts in this thread come across as entitled.  They are the kinds of posts that I have seen cause modders to get fed up and stop sharing with the community.  For those of us who appreciate the modders who selflessly share their creations, we can get a bit defensive.

@SFCGunny313 Lets clear this out a bit:

6 hours ago, SFCGunny313 said:

you seem to have designed a mod specifically to be exclusive of others.

I made a mod with a lot of stuff in it, it surely wasn't designed explicitly to exclude other mods. But other mods profide similar features of this, or at least a subset of those. So, de-facto, they were incompatible. In the same sense that any two life support mods are incompatible with each other, or in the same sense that AntennaRange is incompatible with RemoteTech. I'm sure there is no point in, for example, going into the AntennaRange thread and complaining that mod is not compatible with RemoteTech.

Note that this was at the first release. From then, I made this modular and configurable so people can fit this with other mods: they choose which mechanic to use. And I tried to make this configuration easy to the user: it can take no time (signal disable automatically if you have RemoteTech, for example) or very small amount of time (you rename a file to select between predefined subsets of functionality). In future you will be able to avoid even the file renaming and use CKAN to select a package.

1 hour ago, SFCGunny313 said:

User manipulation is only required if you don't want to play with the default profile. Just install and play, you can use this with a lot of other mods as it is, with zero effort. There is the possibility of tweaking, not the need to do so.

20 minutes ago, SFCGunny313 said:

Well, sorry to upset the fanboy crowd....enjoy the mod

Please keep the discussion civil.

To be fair, he was being very civil at first and just stated that the mod wasn't for him. No need to get upset about that, or is there something I missed?