[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

3 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@BlazeIV When installing using CKAN, be sure to install both Kerbalism as weel as Kerbalism-Profile-Default packages. The former is only the 'engine' running the rules and simulating the resources and the environment. The latter is the default profile that enable all mechanics including Food and Oxygen consumption.

@SFCGunny313 The life support, quality of life and radiation mechanics are now data-driven: their presence and parameters are specified using 'rules' in a .cfg file. You can run this with none of them, or only some, or even design your own rules as you see fit. Then the signal and malfunction mechanics can be completely removed, and are removed automatically if another mod that implement similar mechanics is detected. You can use this only as a background resource simulation if you want.

@zeant93 There is a profile that emulate TAC life support (use TAC.cfg in the profiles/ directory), but you can also just run it along the original TAC (by using no profile at all or a profile with no life support rules, eg: Barebone.cfg that only has the quality of life).

Can I use the Realism.cfg profile with TAC Life Support, or not?

Edited by zeant93
was a mistake

@ShotgunNinja

Just a few updates regarding the NearFuture compatibility patch:

• Now that Kerbalism does not modify the stock RTG, we can remove the NearFuture RTG tweaks.
  • I like where we ended up with the NearFutureSolar panels, with one exception: the blanket arrays need a buff. They're enormous, high-tech, non-retractable, very slow-tracking, and their selling point is supposed to be low mass relative to surface area. However, their current EC per mass is actually worse than any other non-retractable panel. I would suggest a chargeRate of 65 (up from 50) for solarpanel-blanket-1 and 12.5 (up from 10) for solarpanel-blanket-2.
  • Given that RTGs and fuel cells have been restored to their stock properties, and solar panels ended up closer to stock than they were before (25-30% of stock output rather than ~10%), I think it would be appropriate to move NearFuture EC production/consumption rates (for reactors, recyclers, capacitors, and ion engines) closer to their original values as well. I'm thinking 50% (up from 25%) feels right.

If you agree with the above changes, I've incorporated them into a new patch below:

// by Fraz86

// ============================================================================
// tweak NearFutureSolar panels

@PART[solarpanel-static-truss-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]         { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 1.6 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-static-truss-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]         { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 0.8 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-1x3-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 0.7 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-1x4-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 0.88 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-1x4-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 1.12 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-1x5-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 2.1 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-1x5-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 3.25 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-2x1-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 8.5 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-2x1-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 4.0 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-2x3-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]        { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 13.0 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-deploying-circular-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]   { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 1.0 }       @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-blanket-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]              { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 65.0 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-blanket-2]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]              { @MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel] { @chargeRate = 12.5 }      @mass *= 0.5 }
@PART[solarpanel-curved-deploying-25-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]  { @MODULE[ModuleCurvedSolarPanel]     { @TotalEnergyRate = 1.6 }  @mass *= 0.25 }
@PART[solarpanel-curved-375-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]           { @MODULE[ModuleCurvedSolarPanel]     { @TotalEnergyRate = 0.75 } @mass *= 0.25 }
@PART[solarpanel-curved-25-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureSolar]            { @MODULE[ModuleCurvedSolarPanel]     { @TotalEnergyRate = 2.5 }  @mass *= 0.25 }

// Tweak everything from NearFutureElectrical

// Fission reactors cut to 50% power generation
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FissionGenerator]]:AFTER[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @MODULE[FissionGenerator]
  {
    @PowerGeneration *= 0.5
  }
}

// Nuclear waste recyclers cut to 50% power requirements
@PART[nuclear-recycler-*]:AFTER[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter],0
  {
    @INPUT_RESOURCE[#ResourceName[ElectricCharge]]
    {
      @rate *= 0.5
    }
  }
  @MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter],1
  {
    {
      @rate *= 0.5
    }
  }
  @MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter],2
  {
    {
      @rate *= 0.5
    }
  }
}

// Capacitor charge/discharge rates cut to 50%
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[DischargeCapacitor]]:AFTER[NearFutureElectrical]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @MODULE[DischargeCapacitor]
  {
    @ChargeRate *= 0.5
    @DischargeRate *= 0.5
  }
}

// Tweak ion engines from NearFuturePropulsion

// All ion engine power requirements cut to 50%
// note: also cover the stock ion engine
@PART[ionEngine,ionArgon-*,ionXenon-*,mpdt-*,pit-*,vasimr-*]:AFTER[NearFuturePropulsion]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],0
  {
    @PROPELLANT[ElectricCharge]
    {
      @ratio *= 0.5
    }
  }
}

@PART[pit-*]:AFTER[NearFuturePropulsion]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion]
{
  @MODULE[VariablePowerEngine]
  {
    @PowerCurve
    {
      @key,0[1, ] /= 0.5
      @key,1[1, ] /= 0.5
    }
  }
}

@PART[vasimr-*]:AFTER[NearFuturePropulsion]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],1
  {
    @PROPELLANT[ElectricCharge]
    {
      @ratio *= 0.5
    }
  }
  @MODULE[VariableISPEngine]
  {
    @EnergyUsage /= 0.5
  }
}

// Tweak stuff from NearFutureSpacecraft

// The Mk3-9 pod was intended to have advanced technology that allows it to continue
// operating even when there isn't a Kerbal at the helm. The game doesn't allow a part
// to actually function as both a manned command pod and a drone, so technically it was
// just a drone (it could not be piloted by a Kerbal). With Kerbalism's signal requirement
// for drones, this becomes a disadvantage rather than an advantage. Thus, this feature is
// replaced with conventional crew command, and SAS is converted to standalone.
@PART[mk3-9pod]:AFTER[NearFutureSpacecraft]:NEEDS[NearFutureSpacecraft]
{
  @description = This newer command cockpit is optimized for orbital operations - it sacrifices some durability for lower mass. Advanced computer-assisted flight control allows even an untrained pilot to operate the pod with ease.
  @MODULE[ModuleCommand]
  {
    @minimumCrew = 1
    !RESOURCE[ElectricCharge] {}
  }
  @MODULE[ModuleSAS]
  {
    standalone = True
    RESOURCE
    {
      name = ElectricCharge
      rate = 0.03
    }
  }
}

// Though the Itinerant resembles a half-capacity Hitchhiker, it feels too cramped and
// utilitarian to have an Entertainment value. Instead, it seems appropriate for it to
// have a CO2 scrubber.
@PART[utilityCabin]:AFTER[NearFutureSpacecraft]:NEEDS[NearFutureSpacecraft,EnableScrubber]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Scrubber
    resource_name = Oxygen
    waste_name = CO2
    ec_rate = 0.02
    co2_rate = 0.09259258
  }
}

I am loving this mod so far. This is the first life support mod that really makes me think about the design of the whole craft, instead of making me stick on a few more tanks. I'm excited to start using this!

However, I feel like I'm doing something wrong, and have had no luck figuring it out. I can give details or logs, but I suspect it is just human error.

I have a space station in LKO with solar panels, an RTG, and a pile of batteries. In flight mode I can turn on time acceleration and watch it whizz around kerbin, and see my stored battery charge and environment temperature both go down when in shadow, and go up in the day time. I have a few thousand electric charge worth of batteries, so the batteries never get more than about 10% drained while on the night side.

But... the moment I go to the space center and try to time-skip, I almost immediately get the message that the station's batteries are flat and my kerbals are dying. So I switch back to the station, see that the batteries are indeed empty, but once the station has seen sunlight again and it is all charged, it can pass through night side again as many times as I like with more than ample electric charge... until I go back to the space center.

So, the short version: My station has enough power generation and battery capacity to  get through day and night with ample power when I am actually flying it. But when I go back to the space center and time-accelerate, it immediately runs out of power and my kerbals start dying. What am I doing wrong?

Edited to add: I've gone into the tracking station so I can watch this poor station orbit around Kerbin, and the Kerbalism monitor still says the battery is empty even when the thing is in full sunlight on the day side. If I just wait, my kerbals burn up as the life support stops. However, when I actually go to the station in flight mode, the batteries immediately fill up and Kerbalism notifies me that everything is running properly again. So basically, everything works as long as I never time-accelerate without the station having focus...

Edited by Tokamak

@Tokamak Please send me the log file, and the savegame too if you can. From previous experience with a similar issue I tell you this is related to the backgroud simulation throwing an exception somewhere.

@zeant93 You can use the barebone profile, together with the original TAC. Or you can use the TAC emulation profile, together with part packs that were made for TAC. The realism one will not unlock parts made for TAC.

@Fraz86 Great, I'll include that in next version.

4 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Tokamak Please send me the log file, and the savegame too if you can. From previous experience with a similar issue I tell you this is related to the backgroud simulation throwing an exception somewhere.

@zeant93 You can use the barebone profile, together with the original TAC. Or you can use the TAC emulation profile, together with part packs that were made for TAC. The realism one will not unlock parts made for TAC.

@Fraz86 Great, I'll include that in next version.

@ShotgunNinja Thanks for explain that

Edited by zeant93

19 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Here you go. For quick reference, I am not using anything from Interstellar. I don't even have it installed, except for Interstellar Fuel Switch. My power sources are solar panels from Near Future, and the big RTG from Modular Rocket systems, though the panels alone ought to provide enough power even if the RTG isn't simulating properly.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrnbb8kzj9pfv8g/output_log.txt?dl=0

Savegame: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rh8krjrwz54vefo/persistent.sfs?dl=0

I'm going to feel so silly if this is just something I'm doing wrong XD

Edited to add: I cheated and edited my save file to artificially give the station bigger batteries, and now everything is fine. In retrospect I failed to actually put a big battery bank on the thing. It still is the case that the battery capacity I have is enough to get it through the night in flight mode, though. So it probably is not something majorly wrong with Kerbalism, and is more likely just that the calculations about how much power is made and produced are a bit off.

And I see above a discussion of issues with the exact production rates of Near Future Solar cells... so it's probably that.

Given that throwing more battery power in fixes my issue, feel free to consider it closed unless you actually WANT to look into the details.

Thanks for your hard work making such a cool mod :)

Edited by Tokamak

@ShotgunNinja I've found a bug, with remotetech added, in the VAB and spaceplane hanger, if I right click an antenna, it offers to enable and it also offers to start deployed, clicking enable doesn't do anything but clicking deploy does. And if a vehicle is lauched with remotetech, for some reason, Kerbalism causes it to lose signal ounce the rocket reaches a specific height.

I can't help but notice that everyone, myself included, is basically coming here to say "this is broken, and that is broken"... and while I guess that makes sense, I think it's also worth saying that this mod is REALLY COOL. Clearly it's a work in progress, which means it will eventually be EVEN COOLER, but it's already giving me a loy of enjoyment. It is amazing how much hard work modders put into these things, and I for one really appreciate it. Thank you so much for trying to add awesomeness to this game and community. :)

@Tokamak No problem, the number of bug reports is in line with what I find in my job. And indeed is slowing down, very fast. I actually appreciate bug reports :)

I already found from the log that the background simulation is indeed throwing an exception, and that is causing the solar panels in your station to not be simulated in background. Looking into this, as I think your savegame is using something like 100 mods I will try to speculatively fix this and send you an updated DLL to try, if you agree. It will be faster this way.

@The-Doctor Just tried, the signal mechanic disable correctly when RT is installed. The options in right mouse ui you see are from RemoteTech itself. The loss of connectivity at a certain altitude too is by RemoteTech. I believe you need to extend the antenna as soon as you can, but don't count me on this as I never used RT myself.

4 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Tokamak No problem, the number of bug reports is in line with what I find in my job. And indeed is slowing down, very fast. I actually appreciate bug reports :)

I already found from the log that the background simulation is indeed throwing an exception, and that is causing the solar panels in your station to not be simulated in background. Looking into this, as I think your savegame is using something like 100 mods I will try to speculatively fix this and send you an updated DLL to try, if you agree. It will be faster this way.

Sure, I'd be happy to help. I do have a zillion mods installed, which does make troubleshooting hard XD

21 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

@ShotgunNinja I've found a bug, with remotetech added, in the VAB and spaceplane hanger, if I right click an antenna, it offers to enable and it also offers to start deployed, clicking enable doesn't do anything but clicking deploy does. And if a vehicle is lauched with remotetech, for some reason, Kerbalism causes it to lose signal ounce the rocket reaches a specific height.

That is definitely a RemoteTech feature. The Communotron-16 will snap off if it is extended when you are traveling too fast through the atmosphere. The other one, the Reflectron is always on, but it has a very short range so would lose connectivity with KSC above a certain height.

@ShotgunNinja I'm not sure if you saw this request from a few weeks ago (if you did, I apologize for the repetition), so I wanted to reiterate my desire for a way to modify a part's "living space" via the part config/ModuleManager. My argument is that crew capacity often does not correlate well to living space - some parts are very cramped (e.g., see RoverDude's Malemute crew compartment, which carries 4 Kerbals in less than half the volume of a Hitchhiker), whereas other parts have plenty of extra space. Some mods even have parts with no crew capacity, but that would clearly add to the habitable space. Such adjustments would allow for better balancing of habitation modules - currently (and counterintuively), the most cramped hab modules are often the most efficient way to add living space, because they provide the most crew capacity for the least mass and volume.

Edited by Fraz86

The optimization is going really well, this should be actually playable with 50+ vessels starting from next version.
Other small optimizations are possible, but I'm hitting some limits in C#/Unity and more serious optimization will require to move some of the computations to a C++ DLL, something that I'm evaluating for the future.

output_Cs1k_Hq.gif

2 hours ago, pap1723 said:

That is definitely a RemoteTech feature. The Communotron-16 will snap off if it is extended when you are traveling too fast through the atmosphere. The other one, the Reflectron is always on, but it has a very short range so would lose connectivity with KSC above a certain height.

I have it in a fairing

18 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

Do the antennas function at any range when your stuff is completely upgraded, or do they still have limits

They always have a finite range, but after researching all signal processing technologies the big dish will have such a range as to cover the whole solar system. It would have 139Gm range, with the stock planets. That would be enough for Kerbin->Eeloo communications at any point in Eeloo orbit.

Edited by ShotgunNinja
exact range

11 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

The same as Antenna Range. If detected, you'll be able to use that mod instead of the signal feature of Kerbalism.

I downloaded remotetech. My rocket's on the launchpad, with 3 of the remotetech default antennas on around it, and it says "No signal"

EDIT: It's unmanned

Edited by The Optimist