[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

5 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@The Optimist To clarify, does it says 'no signal' on the Kerbalism ui? With RT installed you should't have the 'wifi' icon at all in there. Or does RT say 'no connection' on the top left of the screen? 

There's the red Wifi logo

I uninstalled kerbalism and it works fine

Installed CKAN as advised. Now geiger counter is missing (so all probes having one were auto deleted) and most science is broken. Can't do a crew report, right click on experiment & can't run it (button is missing in pop up window). Reinstalled entire game, problem still there. Can anyone help fix this?

On atmospheric planets moving parts could be damaged by re-entry heat if not sheilded and electronics as well. Also landing on Eve or other hot dense body could alao degrade electronics amd moving parts.

@Fixitman No idea what may cause what you are seeing. I would suggest you try removing all mods and only install ModuleManager, CommunityResourcePack and Kerbalism and see if the problem is still there. Let me know.

@selfish_meme That's not a bad idea, in some previous versions environment radiation influenced malfunction rate and I was toying with temperature influence too. But I had to disable it as then designing around malfunctions became too unpredictable. I plan to extend the weather mechanics post 1.0 and will consider this.

@The Optimist The last version for KSP 1.1.0 is 0.9.9.4, you can find it here. However as they say destiny has a sense of humor and you can't disable the signal mechanic in that version, as that was introduced in 0.9.9.5...

@g00bd0g Shielding is considered per internal space, if you are using ConnectedLivingSpace, or for the whole vessel if you are not using it. If you right click on a vessel in the monitor ui you can see a list of internal spaces and the shielding factor for each one. With CLS, you can implement 'storm shelter' strategies to deal with solar storms or belt crossins: you create an internal space with high quality-of-life (ample living space and entertainment) but little shielding for the long trip, and an internal space with lot of shielding but cramped living space as the shelter. 

@g00bd0g Shielding is considered per internal space, if you are using ConnectedLivingSpace, or for the whole vessel if you are not using it. If you right click on a vessel in the monitor ui you can see a list of internal spaces and the shielding factor for each one. With CLS, you can implement 'storm shelter' strategies to deal with solar storms or belt crossins: you create an internal space with high quality-of-life (ample living space and entertainment) but little shielding for the long trip, and an internal space with lot of shielding but cramped living space as the shelter. 

@ShotgunNinja

Thanks! Sorry to pester you with more questions, what else does CLS do in kerbalism (other than crew transfers)? Trying to decide if I want it or not.

@g00bd0g With CLS installed, essentially all environment calculations are done per internal space, instead of the whole vessel. This include living space factor, entertainment and shielding. Personally I use it as it make designing vessels more interesting, and open up a lot of possibilities in how to deal with the quality of life and radiation mechanics. It is also a very lightweight mod. Give it a shot, you can remove it later if you want with no consequences.

I have a suggestion (that would be probably already done, but...).

Its about Greenhouses. By definition, a greenhouse is full of plant, and plants use CO2 to generate oxygen and aliment themselves. I can imagine that they have less efficiency than scrubbers, but, ¿is there any way to combine all systems? Example: a Greenhouse-Scrubber module, designed to increase performance of normal scrubbers, while the extra C02 is used to increase breeding rates of plants or something else?

@ShotgunNinja Thanks for making this mod more customizable. I was looking at the profile settings and im wondering if its possible to have everything disabled with the exception of the radiation/signal/climate/background EC mechanic? I have been hoping that someone would make a radiation mod for a long time, however, I use another mod for all the life support/habitation stuff and would like to keep that system. I also like the system you have for the signal mechanic/relays so i would like to give that a try as well.

I made up a quick config profile (copy and paste from your other profiles, lol) I think should do it, do you mind if I ask you (or anyone that knows what they are doing) to take a quick look and let me know if this will work? Just want to make sure that im not missing anything important. Thanks again!

Spoiler

@Kerbalism:FOR[EnableSignal] {}
@Kerbalism:FOR[EnableShielding] {}

// CLIMATE
Rule
{
  name = Climate
  resource_name = ElectricCharge
  rate = 0.0001242236 // 0.02 per-second at average temp diff in LKO
  degeneration = 0.00000345 // 30min
  on_eva = 20.0 // 16min
  on_resque = 250.0
  modifier = temperature

warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL feels cold.|$ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is sweating.
  danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is freezing to death.|$ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is burning alive.
  fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL froze to death.|$ON_VESSEL$KERBAL was burned alive.
  relax_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL hypothermia is under control.|$ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is hugging the climatizer.

low_message = $VESSEL batteries are almost empty$NEWLINE<i>We are squeezing the last bit of juice</i>|$VESSEL batteries are almost empty$NEWLINE<i>Shutting down non-essential systems</i>
  empty_message = There is no more ElectricCharge on $VESSEL$NEWLINE<i>Life support systems are off</i>|There is no more ElectricCharge on $VESSEL$NEWLINE<i>We lost control</i>
  refill_message = $VESSEL batteries recharged$NEWLINE<i>The crew is allowed music again</i>|$VESSEL batteries recharged$NEWLINE<i>Systems are back online</i>
}

// RADIATION
Rule
{
  name = Radiation
  degeneration = 1.0 // just use the modifier
  modifier = radiation

warning_threshold = 15.0 // in rad
  danger_threshold = 22.5 // in rad
  fatal_threshold = 30.0 // in rad

warning_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL has been exposed to intense radiation
  danger_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL is reporting symptoms of radiation poisoning
  fatal_message = $ON_VESSEL$KERBAL died after being exposed to extreme radiation
  // no relax_message because there is no recovery from radiation
}

// Remove resource-related parts
!PART[kerbalism-food-*] {}
!PART[kerbalism-oxygen-*] {}
!PART[RadialOxygenBig] {}
!PART[Greenhouse] {}

Edit: Also, I noticed that in the radiation settings "no relax_message because there is no recovery from radiation". So is there no way to recover from radiation (part or module)? Not even returning them to Kerbin?

Edited by BT3

1 hour ago, BT3 said:

, I noticed that in the radiation settings "no relax_message because there is no recovery from radiation". So is there no way to recover from radiation (part or module)? Not even returning them to Kerbin?

Returning them to Kerbin (that is, recovering them) does indeed remove all radiation. 

@BT3 That profile should work, only little thing is that you don't need the line '!PART[RadialOxygenBig] {}' anymore (part was renamed). For the radiation there is no recovery in flight, but as @Squelch7 correctly said everything is forgotten about a Kerbal when it return home.

@stellarator Post 1.0 I'm going to rewrite the greenhouse module to have multiple arbitrary input and ouput resources, and with each input resource either mandatory (like input_resource now) or a bonus (like waste now).

55 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@BT3 That profile should work, only little thing is that you don't need the line '!PART[RadialOxygenBig] {}' anymore (part was renamed). For the radiation there is no recovery in flight, but as @Squelch7 correctly said everything is forgotten about a Kerbal when it return home.

After some testing, everything seems to work OK, except in the craft details the radiation doesn't get tracked for each kerbal. Neither does the comfort level. They just show as blank. I can see the radiation levels change and the overall "cramped" level, but it doesnt seem like it wants to apply it to the kerbals in the list. 

Also, yes, i deleted those end lines out as i just deleted all the parts but the antenna and the Geiger counter anyway.

Hi @ShotgunNinja

Regarding the default profile.  You have the Oxygen rate at 1000 per day (6 hour Kerbin day).

NASA figures give human usage of ~600 per 24 hour day, or ~150 per 6 hour Kerbin day.  Obviously Kerbals =/= Humans, but even so Kerbals seem to require a massive amount of O2.  This might be for game balance reasons, but I wanted to mention it.

This mod is REALLY cool. I've enjoyed other life support mods, but this is the one that actually makes me think about the ENTIRE design of my vessel. I love it.

Any plans for stack oxygen canisters, and radial food canisters? Those would be super useful.

Hi ShotgunNinja:

Okay, first let me start with a confession--I've not started my 1.12 career yet! For lots of reasons, I've been unable to devote any serious time to KSP for awhile, although that's about to change shortly. While I was waiting for two of my must-have mods (RemoteTech and TAC-LS) to update, I stumbled across Kerbalism. I figured, if RT and TAC-LS didn't get updated, I would take the plunge into your mod. I watched while your mod got fleshed out, added new features, and decided I was going to go for it, but then RT and TAC-LS *did* get updated, and I figured I was going to miss out on all the Kerbalism goodness that you've designed (I was going to go with what I knew, at least for my first career). But I continued to follow your progress and found that you had added profiles to easily (and soon to be even more easily, er easilier, er whatever) disable certain features--IN ADDITION to automagically detecting RT.

Whoa. I think there *is* a spoon.

So, before I ask an obligatory question, let me say thank you. You rock. I don't often donate to mod-makers, but I would very much like to demonstrate my gratitude (even though I haven't even started this playthrough yet) for your tenacity, your civility towards certain other forum-dwellers, your willingness to accommodate requests left and right, etc. If you don't feel comfortable setting up a donation page (even though you absolutely should), and if you are willing to PM me, I'd still like to send you a thank you. Hell, if you are in the Bay Area, I'll buy you a cup of coffee!

Okay, now for the obligatory question--I use KCT with EditorTime, which means that I have simulations that back the clock up and then (because of EditorTime) a clock that gets fast-forwarded when I leave the VAB/SPH? Should I anticipate any conflicts? Note that "I have no idea" is a valid answer--I just want to ask a question so I don't look like this post was just to say "Thank you".

Thank you... :)

@eightiesboi Thanks for the kind words, and for your offer. As accepted really :) 

I will have to check how KCT is manipulating time. Any use of the 'revert flight', that I suspect is what the KCT simulation is using, will probably have the whole set of vessels simulated as normal and then reverted back at simulation end (so no big problems here, it will be like you are simulating all the vessels during the test flight). For the 'fast-forward' when you leave the VAB, honestly I don't know. What purpose does it serve? Does it manipulate planetarium time? I can't seem to find relevant info from the KCT thread.

I just wanted to say how awesome this mod is!

It's everything that I've wanted in a realism type mod without going way overboard and losing a lot of the charm of KSP.

I applaud you and thank you for such a fun and interesting addition to this most excellent game.

Keep up the great work! 

Doing a play through of this mod currently (((10/10))) but I would love some way to make more money as sending kerbals longer and longer distances has a rapidly increasing cost as there are many more factors than just getting the command pod to duna

On 5/23/2016 at 3:22 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

@g00bd0g With CLS installed, essentially all environment calculations are done per internal space, instead of the whole vessel. This include living space factor, entertainment and shielding. Personally I use it as it make designing vessels more interesting, and open up a lot of possibilities in how to deal with the quality of life and radiation mechanics. It is also a very lightweight mod. Give it a shot, you can remove it later if you want with no consequences.

I'm curious about the Shielding mechanic. 

One suggestion I've seen for crewed spacecraft is to provide a small, radiation shelter the crew would move to in the event of a storm. Would Kerbalism model that?

Suppose, for example, I had three kerbals on a station with a Habitat module and a heavily shielded 2-kerbal orbital module. A storm comes, Jeb and Bill hop into the safe haven, while Bob is stuck in the unshielded habitat module. 

Obviously, Jeb and Bill are going to spend some time under cramped conditions, but Bob is going to get radiated. 

Does Kerbalism handle things at that fine a level of detail? 

edit

Also, please accept my thanks for this amazing mod. 

Edited by John Nowak