[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

20 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

NASA figures give human usage of ~600 per 24 hour day, or ~150 per 6 hour Kerbin day.  Obviously Kerbals =/= Humans, but even so Kerbals seem to require a massive amount of O2.  This might be for game balance reasons, but I wanted to mention it.

That's actually why I went with 540 units of Oxygen per day on the realistic config. I didn't consider the whole 6 hour day vs. 24 hour day, though, and I might tweak that in the next version. (Or not, I haven't quite decided yet. It feels like if I base Oxygen consumption on a 6 hour period, I ought to do the same thing for food and water... and at that point I'm just rescaling everything.)

44 minutes ago, Barrin said:

That's actually why I went with 540 units of Oxygen per day on the realistic config. I didn't consider the whole 6 hour day vs. 24 hour day, though, and I might tweak that in the next version. (Or not, I haven't quite decided yet. It feels like if I base Oxygen consumption on a 6 hour period, I ought to do the same thing for food and water... and at that point I'm just rescaling everything.)

I did some number crunching based on the NASA data I could easilly find.  Feel free to play around (Excel),
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=742F116B96CAAF9!79436&authkey=!ADd8YI8s0FayIUA&ithint=file%2cxlsx

Is there any way, in game or out, to see information about radiation belts? Other than taking geiger counters everywhere and writing down their values at different altitudes on paper, that is.

3 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

Is there any way, in game or out, to see information about radiation belts? Other than taking geiger counters everywhere and writing down their values at different altitudes on paper, that is.

The altitude of the belt is available in the planner in the VAB/SPH under the radiation section. I'm not sure if there is anywhere we can see more information on it.

1 minute ago, leomike said:

The altitude of the belt is available in the planner in the VAB/SPH under the radiation section. I'm not sure if there is anywhere we can see more information on it.

Ah, so there isn't a way to access that in flight then? 

2 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

Ah, so there isn't a way to access that in flight then? 

Not as far as I know, but only three planets and one moon have radiation belt so that should fit on a post-it note :wink:

• Kerbin: 600 km
  • Eve: 700 km
  • Jool: 6,000 km
  • Laythe: 500 km

2 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

None at all, help yourself!

Thanks again for the real world data. As of the next version, I'll be using more realistic (but slightly rounded off) numbers based on what you provided. (135 Oxygen per 6 hour day, and 1 unit of water/food per day.)

4 hours ago, leomike said:

Not as far as I know, but only three planets and one moon have radiation belt so that should fit on a post-it note :wink:

• Kerbin: 600 km
  • Eve: 700 km
  • Jool: 6,000 km
  • Laythe: 500 km

Oh well... that's simple then. :D

37 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@IGNOBIL I was considering adding 'active radiation shielding' for the late game, but this 'artificial mini magnetosphere' idea is even better! If you do the model, I would be happy to do the coding :) 

I'll start on it and send you first sketches for your feedback

I found what seems to be a background calculation error when using max time warp I can't narrow it down but it seems to have cause a part on my station to use massive amount of power causing it to run out even in full sunlight

Hey there! Im contacting again about that replication bug I've posted a week ago. 

So I've went ahead and done some more testing. I'm 99.99% sure that there is something in this mod that causes the kerbal replication bug. Here's a link to the log of a recent session... 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5hy3s3waPwccVo0MWg3bFZ3U0E/view?usp=drivesdk

It's not shown in the log, but I've run a test only using Kerbalism, Community Resource Pack, and module manager. Even with just these mods, I still get the replication bug 

@MemeBeam Is possible you are using the Realism profile, and have little EC capacity in that vessel? I'm asking because as soon as there is some waste water in that case the water filter kicks in and consume a lot of EC. We are tweaking the rates for next version to avoid this problem.

@SkyblueX Thanks for the report. The problem is that the stock game preserve some data even after you remove a mod. So it would be useful if you can try to replicate the issue using only Kerbalism & dependencies, in a new save game. Make sure to also clear the ModuleManager cache.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

Using default profile I am running out of EC at max time warp. At any time warp below max, it is fine. It's a space station equipped with Science Lab, Gravity Ring, Greenhouse, etc... It has plenty of EC generation and storage. I'm running a few mods like KAC, Scatterer, mechjeb, but I doubt these would cause this issue. I can upload the .craft if that would help. I really want to fly a mission to Duna but this is crippling to that effort. Thoughts?

Edited by g00bd0g

@g00bd0g Send me the savegame, I'll take a look. What I think may happen is this: the vessel is simulated at some point in time, and the elapsed time from the last point is correct. However, at high timewarp it can happen that, by chance, the majority of points in time occur when the vessel is in shadow. To confirm this it will be enough to have an RTG powered vessel in the same orbit and check if that is instead simulated correctly at extreme timewarps. If this turn out to be the case I have a fix in mind: do a poor man integration of sun visibility at extreme timewarps by taking the shadow-time of the current orbit in consideration.

So far this mod is working pretty well for me. The one thing that is a little tough for long missions is oxygen. I'm using the default profile, and with 5 kerbals 8 large tanks only gets me about two years. I trust that the consoumption rates and what not are good, but I was wondering if there were any plans for being able to add additional scrubbers, or having greenhouses contribute to oxygen?

Edit: Derp. I'm not the only one to make that suggestion. Consider this a "yeah, that" vote, but no need to respond :)

Edited by Tokamak

46 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@g00bd0g Send me the savegame, I'll take a look. What I think may happen is this: the vessel is simulated at some point in time, and the elapsed time from the last point is correct. However, at high timewarp it can happen that, by chance, the majority of points in time occur when the vessel is in shadow. To confirm this it will be enough to have an RTG powered vessel in the same orbit and check if that is instead simulated correctly at extreme timewarps. If this turn out to be the case I have a fix in mind: do a poor man integration of sun visibility at extreme timewarps by taking the shadow-time of the current orbit in consideration.

Just open the Orbiter EC Test save file. At 100x time warp in the station it completely charges from the shadow side in about 1/10 of an orbit. From the tracking station you can easily see how it's fine at any time warp but max. When you get a low EC warning at max time warp you can just reduce time warp by 1 step to recover and fully charge.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4zLBUio4kIncnMwOVpyWWFadUk/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for an awesome mod!

Edited by g00bd0g

I absolutely love this mod, but I'm running into a problem that is quickly making it unplayable. The background processing does not seem to scale well with larger numbers of vessels. I have 44 flights in progress and I'm getting about a 2.5:1 slowdown. I'm not certain that it's just Kerbalism causing the problem, but I do see that the background processing loops through every part on every ship in every update. Is anyone else having similar problems, or is this just me?