[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@ShotgunNinja Congrats on the release

I seem to have found a bug with the antenna system. I have 4 relay sats in orbit around Eve and every now and again during time warp one of them would lose signal, a different one every time and completely randomly. It still had EC charge but by the time i went to switch to the ship the signal was already back before i switched. Tonight i finally managed to drop out of timewarp early enough so that the sat was at there in view with direct line of sight to two other relay sats, full battery but no signal. When i switched to the ship the signal came back immediately. I can't see any reason for it losing signal. 

Would you mind taking a look? Here's a CKAN mod list and the save game. If you time warp at max speed until one of the eve relay sats loses signal you should be able to see it happening, it normally happens every minute or so of warping.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nRjcqonDoUSmp1SDdEdHAyaE0/view?usp=sharing

You'll need this too  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nRjcqonDoUbDhiWVZYdm0xYkk/view?usp=sharing

Edited by dboi88

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Hrubec The realism profile is experimental and provided as a 'bonus': there are no water or water filtration material container parts provided. That being said Barrin managed to add the filration material to every food container and also there is a small water container. But that's it, at least for now. You could remove the food from the containers and use those only to store filtration material. You could also try some part pack that include water containers like Universal Storage, etc.

Yes thats what I did, thanks :-)

@dboi88 Thanks for the report, I'll take a look.

@Angel-125 The Shielding resource is hardcoded. However it is possible to create a rule that is influenced by radiation and at the same time require a resource. For example, this rule will cause Kerbals to be immune to radiation as long as they take some Pills per-day, else the radiation will be applied as usual:

Spoiler

Rule
{
  name = Radiation           // arbitrary name for the rule
  resource_name = Pills      // resource required if any (eg: cellular regeneration pills)
  rate = 1.0                 // resource consumption per-second or per-interval 
  interval = 21600           // consumption interval in seconds (1 day)
  degeneration = 1.0         // degeneration per-second if resource is missing (this just use the environment radiation)
  modifier = radiation       // scale consumption and degeneration rate using environment radiation (after shielding)
  warning_threshold = 15.0   // degeneration threshold when a warning is shown, in rad
  danger_threshold = 22.5    // degeneration threshold when a more serious warning is shown, in rad
  fatal_threshold = 30.0     // degeneration threshold when the kerbal is killed, in rad
}

You can find some documentation for the rule system here.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

24 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Angel-125 The Shielding resource is hardcoded. However it is possible to create a rule that is influenced by radiation and at the same time require a resource. For example, this rule will cause Kerbals to be immune to radiation as long as they take some Pills per-day, else the radiation will be applied as usual:

Hide contents

Rule
{
  name = Radiation           // arbitrary name for the rule
  resource_name = Pills      // resource required if any (eg: cellular regeneration pills)
  rate = 1.0                 // resource consumption per-second or per-interval 
  interval = 21600           // consumption interval in seconds (1 day)
  degeneration = 1.0         // degeneration per-second if resource is missing (this just use the environment radiation)
  modifier = radiation       // scale consumption and degeneration rate using environment radiation (after shielding)
  warning_threshold = 15.0   // degeneration threshold when a warning is shown, in rad
  danger_threshold = 22.5    // degeneration threshold when a more serious warning is shown, in rad
  fatal_threshold = 30.0     // degeneration threshold when the kerbal is killed, in rad
}

You can find some documentation for the rule system here.

Outstanding! That means I can make a mini-magnetospheric plasma shield for Pathfinder's inflatable base modules. Shielding is too heavy to lug around to fit in with Pathfinder's mobility theme, but a MMPS could generate PlasmaShielding (a hidden resource) by consuming ElectricCharge and a small amount of Oxygen to generate the plasma. Thanks for pointing out the rule-based config and for all your hard work. Pathfinder will be getting Kerbalism support next release (Buffalo and MOLE already have it). :)

@Angel-125 Great! That should definitely work (and is quite a creative hack :)). If you end up modifing the radiation rule in the user install, you could use an MM patch like this:

@Rule[#name[Radiation]]
{
  resource_name = ...
  rate = ...
  interval = ...
}

In future, I'm planning to add an 'active shielding' module that consume EC to protect the vessel from radiation. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Angel-125 Great! That should definitely work (and is quite a creative hack :)). If you end up modifing the radiation rule in the user install, you could use an MM patch like this:

@Rule[#name[Radiation]]
{
  resource_name = ...
  rate = ...
  interval = ...
}

In future, I'm planning to add an 'active shielding' module that consume EC to protect the vessel from radiation. Cheers.

Will it be necessary to modify the existing radiation rule, or can I have an additional radiation rule to consume (in my case) PlasmaShielding?

@Angel-125 You will need to modify the existing radiation rule and make it require PlasmaShielding. If you have it separed then it will not stop the original radiation rule from hitting the kerbals when PlasmaShielding is present.

Something like this should work, and will consume '1.0 * env_radiation' PlasmaShielding per-second per-kerbal:

@Rule[#name[Radiation]]
{
  resource_name = PlasmaShielding
  rate = 1.0
}

33 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Angel-125 You will need to modify the existing radiation rule and make it require PlasmaShielding. If you have it separed then it will not stop the original radiation rule from hitting the kerbals when PlasmaShielding is present.

Something like this should work, and will consume '1.0 * env_radiation' PlasmaShielding per-second per-kerbal:

@Rule[#name[Radiation]]
{
  resource_name = PlasmaShielding
  rate = 1.0
}

One ladt question: how do I know what env_radiation is? Is there a max amount somewhere? Thanks again! :)

@Angel-125 Environment radiation is determined by this formula:

cosmic_radiation + storm_radiation + belt_radiation

cosmic_radiation: the radiation coming from outside the solar system, zero inside magnetospheres (default to: 0.02 rad/h)
storm_radiation: the radiation during a solar storm, if outside a magnetosphere and in line of sight with the sun (default to 2.0 rad/h)
belt_radiation: the radiation inside a belt (default to 20.0 rad/h for the home planet belt)

For example on the surface of a planet with no magnetosphere and no solar storms in progress, you will only be subject to cosmic radiation (0.02 rad/h, 0.0000055555 rad/s).

Okay, I took a break from KSP for a little while and just got back into it. Thanks SN for for creating this mod. Seems like the 1.0.0 version is a bit more snappy then I remember it. Nice!

Thing is, I had a bunch of KSP copies I was using for testing. Mostly this was for the realism config, and I came across a situation I don't think I ever considered. But in this game, I must have been preparing for it. Does the QOL in kerbalism still function as it supposed to? I'm assuming it does. In this game I have a simple station (cupla, hitchhiker) packed full of kerbals that has been in orbit for about 178 days. I also noticed I had ship designs named "Resupply" and "Crew_rotation." Seems to me I was going to test the QOL thingy.

So, I took a quick look at the station details hoping to find out how much time I had before the crew started cracking up. Nope. It isn't there. No where to be seen except in the VAB. And thats exactly what I had to do get an idea on how many days (Give or take a few) I had before the kerbals lose their minds.

Shouldn’t there be some kind of indicator in the ship details to point this out? Or have I missed something? And speaking of the VAB calculations, what happens when I have only two pilots left to choose from, and I want to know how long it takes for a station that can hold 9 kerbals to go bonkers? In the VAB, the more kerbals you add the more cramped it gets and the worse the QOL gets. Right? So the overall QOL life with 2 kerbals for a station that can hold 9 isn't really telling the truth. Right?

Something just doesn't seem right about this I think.

--

Next question is actually about the realism config. Will this ever be considered a part of kerbalism, or will it remain forever an experiment? I'm asking this, cuz it looks like I'd started working on a Planetary Base System patch that was appended to the bottom of a realism config backup. Near as I can tell, I seemed to be deleting and replacing various resource names (TacLS modules?/resources as well) with proper names and values so as to get rid of resource errors in the log whilst using the realism config.

As far as I know there isn't a way to determine what profile a user is actually using, so that would mean any kerbalism love given to various other mods would have to be done through the realism config. Unfortunately, that means Barrin might be tasked with something he doesn't want to put up with or just doesn't have the time to do. And maybe that’s the way he wants it. Anyway, just thought I'd put this out there.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Hah! Speaking of MM trickery. I might have solved an issue I just pointed out a post or two back.

What if we add the following to the top of the realism config:

%Profile:FOR[zRealism] {}

From there, external patches could be created in ..\patches\contribs that contain lines like this:

@PART[KKAOSS_LS_container_waste_small]:NEEDS[zRealism&PlanetarySurfaceStructures]:AFTER[PlanetarySurfaceStructures]
{

!RESOURCE[Crap]{}
  RESOURCE
  {
    name = Waste
    isTweakable = true
    isVisible = true
    amount = 0.0
    maxAmount = 666.0 // ??? Large enough to store ~2 weeks of waste for a 3 man crew
  }
}

Yup, in this case the patch file would be called "PlanetaryBaseSystems.cfg". True enough this is just a simple example, but I figure it could separate Barrin from having to deal with more then need be. He can tweak realism all he wants, and us end users can patch the various external mods as we see fit.

Obviously, I'm too excited to see a downside to this... Cuz it works!!!

I am having trouble with what I believe is Realfuels and this mod. I figured they might be compatible since they are both use the CRP, however food, water, shielding etc are not addable to the capsule with realfuels installed. Anyone have any ideas how I could work around this?

@Inflectrum I'll look into what RealFuels is doing.

@DarkonZ Yes we could just do something like @Kerbalism:FOR[PROFILE_NAME_HERE] inside the profiles cfg, however keep in mind all mods that are supporting Kerbalism right now are de-facto supporting the default profile, and that will not change. We can't ask people to support multiple profiles.

The waste resource name inconsistency could be solved by doing something like this:

@PART[*]
{
  @RESOURCE[Crap] { @name = Waste }
  @RESOURCE[CO2] { @name = CarbonDioxide }
}

in the realism profile, and maybe tweak the amount/maxAmount too.

@Inflectrum, and everybody using RealFuels:

I gave it a shot, and here is what I found:

• the command pods don't get Food/Oxygen/waste automatically, you need to add them using the RealFuels UI in the editors
  • the Realism profile waste resources are already there, for the Default profile ones I'll add them in next version
  • everything else will work out of the box, except that EVA kerbals don't take Hydrazine instead of Monopropellant, I'll fix that too in next version

Let me know if there are other issues, but I don't see any.

15 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Cheers, i've had an idea as to what might be causing this. Does the signal mechanic share a connection between two antennas on the same craft?

Eve Relay 1 has 1 long range dish that can connect home and has relay enabled.

Eve Relay 2, 3 & 4 all have their own long range dish but the 'enable relay' function is turned on the short range Comm32

So are we getting two separate networks here that aren't talking to each other? 

@dboi88 A vessel is considered to have signal if there is a path of links to each other vessels and finally to the home body. A link from vessel A to B is considered valid if the following applies:

• A and B have line of sight with each other
  • the distance between A and B is less than the minimun range of A best antenna, and B best relay antenna
  • B has enough EC to use its best relay antenna

BTW, thanks for helping me with this. I didn't look at your save yet but will do ASAP.

5 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@dboi88 A vessel is considered to have signal if there is a path of links to each other vessels and finally to the home body. A link from vessel A to B is considered valid if the following applies:

• A and B have line of sight with each other
  • the distance between A and B is less than the minimun range of A best antenna, and B best relay antenna
  • B has enough EC to use its best relay antenna

BTW, thanks for helping me with this. I didn't look at your save yet but will do ASAP.

Cheers,

I'm confident that i'm meeting those 3 requirements at the minute.

No problem at all, if you need anything else or for me to try and recreate the issue with a clean save i can do that for you.

There's no rush either, it's not causing me any problems at the minute I've just turned off the Signal messages.

4 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Inflectrum, and everybody using RealFuels:

I gave it a shot, and here is what I found:

• the command pods don't get Food/Oxygen/waste automatically, you need to add them using the RealFuels UI in the editors
  • the Realism profile waste resources are already there, for the Default profile ones I'll add them in next version
  • everything else will work out of the box, except that EVA kerbals don't take Hydrazine instead of Monopropellant, I'll fix that too in next version

Let me know if there are other issues, but I don't see any.

There is no option to add shielding to your capsules with Realfuels installed as well.

@ShotgunNinja Regarding compatibility with Nertea's mods, there is one more custom module that I previously missed when requesting background simulation support. It's ModuleCryoTank, found in the KerbalAtomics and CryoEngines mods. Specifically, it is implemented by SimpleBoiloff.dll, found in GameData/CryoTanks/Plugins when either of the two aforementioned mods is installed. The module implements a gradual boil-off for liquid hydrogen tanks, which can only be prevented in some tanks with continuous EC consumption. Currently, it looks like these tanks aren't registering as consuming any EC when running in the background with Kerbalism.

@ShotgunNinja Have you planned a update to the Greenhouse texture, it looks nice it just doesnt fit with the mods stock alike look. The greenhouse looks to futuristic, I understand it is most likely a place holder as the old food tanks had the same design concept.