[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

A new testing build is available here and includes the following changes:

• Further optimized background simulation
    • Made a dumb mistake in the previous build where half the code would be run every ticks instead of every 20 ticks
  • Optimized rules application
    • Now follows the same approach as background simulation (except for loaded vessel)
  • Missed in previous changelog
    • Support for the BackgroundProcessing mod was dropped (as it is not updated past 1.0.5 anyways)
    • Debris' orbit no longer decay (as this is the only way to manually disable background processing on vessels currently)
    • RTG no longer decay (as far as I could see this was inconsistency between loaded and unloaded vessels)

Overall performance improved significantly since the original version. On my computer using @dboi88's save file with 87 crafts (after the ones that got auto-deleted for missing parts), this went from ~850ms of processing per second for Kerbalism alone to ~50ms at x1 speed, ~350ms at timewarp > x50 (where the frame skipping is disabled).

Once again this is not a stable build. Look a few posts up if you are looking for something more stable.

@ShotgunNinja @leomike   Hey, great mod! But there's a small issue I'm having when using RemoteTech together with Kerbalism. Kerbalism electric charge consumption calculations in VAB do not seem to include RemoteTech's antennas, and they drain a lot of power. Is there a fix for this?

On 6/11/2016 at 5:32 AM, dboi88 said:

@ShotgunNinja I've created an MM patch that add's the ability create and store shielding when EPL is installed. 

2 minutes ago, AndrewHere said:

Does this work with 1.1.3?

Yes, I haven't noticed any issues so far.

7 hours ago, leomike said:

@AndrewHere If there is no storage space left it is automatically "vented" out. Also, it shouldn't normally be displayed on any part, it's a hidden resource for the greenhouse.

It's displayed on the "mark one laboratory extension" pods, and after the bar its full the spacecraft can't be controlled anymore. So far I've only seen it happening while in mark one's mod pods.

I have a report to make: today I tried do play KSP 1.1.3 for the first time (I've run it before, but did not have time to play) after all these days trying to update mods (one of them is Kerbalism, of course)...

When I loaded the game ALL my ships had comunication problems (no link at all) and my contracts were missing! :0.0:

I restored the backup (I use a mod for that, just can't remember the name), quit and started looking for some reason... Nothing in the forums, let's see the folders... Aha! Two Kerbalism.dll (Leomike's latest beta and the stable one)! I probably kept both for checking sizes and had to turn off the computer (RL is merciless!)...

Just deleted the old one and everything returned to normal... Phew!

The question is: I completely understand two Kerbalism dlls messing with antennas, but the contracts? Can someone explain that to me?

Guys this is a I'm not dead post. Sorry for the hiatus but I'm about to meet some serious deadlines in my real work. Special thanks to @leomike to recompile it for 1.1.3 and for attempting some more optimizations. I'll be free to do some coding for this project in some weeks. Hold tight and keep having fun, cheers! 

@ShotgunNinja Nice to see you're back! All the changes I did are on Github but I'm more than happy to help if you want me to (my commits are not very clean and I was doing a lot of formatting/commenting/renaming/etc. as a way to get used to the code, so integrating the changes might not be very straightforward).

Good to see ninja is not dead :P

I do feel the need to ask this to you @leomike, my computer keeps running out of RAM (only 4gb) at random, sometimes I can play all day long and nothing happens, but sometimes ksp crashes after 30~ mins or 8~ hrs, mostly when I'm using the VAB, but this started to happen after installing Kerbalism, only possible conflicting mod is Remote Tech.

Here's the head of the error log, dunno if you have any idea of what is causing it... or probably I just need to upgrade my pc.

Unity Player [version: Unity 5.2.4f1_98095704e6fe]

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module mono.dll at 0023:101195ba.

Error occurred at 2016-07-09_175846.
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Kerbos.
90% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [399 MB free].
0 MB paging file [3417 MB free].
0 MB user address space [222 MB free].
Write to location 02000000 caused an access violation.

PS:// I'm using latest kerbalism version with your last dll. Cheers!

@Kerbos This might be due to the number of mods rather than Kerbalism itself. Did you try removing another mod and see if that resolved the issue? Also note that my testing builds are more RAM intensive (due to the profiler and the CPU usage improvements that increase RAM usage), so you might want to consider the 1.1.3 "stable" build (ie recompile of the original mod).

As for my own build, I have a more stable and complete version with additional features and the debug features disabled that I now use for my own game, but I feel somewhat reluctant to post it here without @ShotgunNinja's explicit approval as we now know that Kerbalism was not abandoned.

@leomike, thx for the advice, I've removed some mods, first one was kerbalism just to see how much RAM decreased, with the test build RAM goes up 20-30%, stable build max at 20%, so my RAM was about to collapse anyway and test build was the drop that spilled the glass, now I've deleted some of those mods that basically never use like B9 and world war plus some of those visual enhancers and so far ksp is running like a charm.

Thanks again mate :)

10 hours ago, leomike said:

@Kerbos This might be due to the number of mods rather than Kerbalism itself. Did you try removing another mod and see if that resolved the issue? Also note that my testing builds are more RAM intensive (due to the profiler and the CPU usage improvements that increase RAM usage), so you might want to consider the 1.1.3 "stable" build (ie recompile of the original mod).

As for my own build, I have a more stable and complete version with additional features and the debug features disabled that I now use for my own game, but I feel somewhat reluctant to post it here without @ShotgunNinja's explicit approval as we now know that Kerbalism was not abandoned.

That's very nice of you , maybe he will poke in later duing the weekend , but since the source is public could you do it directly in github with pull requet, merge and branch? I am just asking never figured it out how github works ^_^

Edited by brusura

@brusura All my work is already on Github. I had noticed the issue with the monitor and just figured out a quick fix. I don't normally update the dll on Github, only the source code, but did an exception this time. Feel free to grab it from there if you want (this is a release build so it will not include debug functions).

Edit: Still having some issues, not sure why. I'm looking into it. - Fixed

Edited by leomike

23 hours ago, leomike said:

@brusura All my work is already on Github. I had noticed the issue with the monitor and just figured out a quick fix. I don't normally update the dll on Github, only the source code, but did an exception this time. Feel free to grab it from there if you want (this is a release build so it will not include debug functions).

Edit: Still having some issues, not sure why. I'm looking into it. - Fixed

Still no vessels in the monitor , logs and savefile http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=10228871867821430500