[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Just now, Squamble said:

When you want the Biomes to refer your science-definition the Part cfg biomeMask has to be edited. At the moment it does not look for the biomes, only for the sitiuation and the planet.

this would mean that you would detect it even if you're on the other side of kerbin.

Yeah i was just giving an example of the types of science definitions

Does any one have a profile for USI-LS???

As I really like playing with this mod, but prefer the life support system that USI-LS uses.

It would be amazing if it could be half-half as I like the Oxygen and the scrubber side which USI-LS doesn't have.

Great Mod BTW @ShotgunNinja, love the work your doing. This makes my "Hard Mode" install much more fun.

24 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I just had one of those brilliant ideas that only extreme sleep deprivation can give. I'm going to replace the stock science & data transmission systems. More details will follow in a few days, cheers.

Your ideas will result in a total KSP rewrite :P

15 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

This is a pre-release of 1.0.4. There have been a lot of changes under the hood and so I need some brave space monkey tester to give it a shot and report eventual bugs, and feedback on performance. Backup your savegame if you give this a shot.

Changelog:

Reveal hidden contents

- refactored overall architecture
  - new resource system: faster, stronger
  - optimized signal system
  - optimized background resource simulation  
  - vessel cache: smart FIFO eviction strategy
  - optimized malfunction module
  - more stable depletion estimates
  - improved signal link rendering
  - vessel info show consumption/production rates  
  - vessel monitor and planner ui remain visible on mouse over    
  - balance: decreased malfunction rate
  - balance: reduced engine malfunction penalty  
  - fix: background resource simulation inconsistencies at extreme timewarp
  - fix: vessels not getting included in relay network calculations
  - fix: scrubber and recycler inconsistencies during timewarp blending
  - fix: greenhouse assuming the part has shutters
  - fix: atmosphere description in vessel info window

Ok, I've tested it, and there's a bunch of things that goes wrong

• 1º pic malfunctions for every ship
  • 2º relay system doing some bouncy thing on each other
  • 3º and 4º, those are the ships relaying to each other
  • 5º pic is what happen when jumping on a relayed ship
  • 6º pic map view from relayed ship (every ship is vanished)
  • 7º pic reload some save game a few minutes b4 to check from the space center
  • 8º pic is what I see when jumping to any random ship non relayed

After that crashed, I'll keep testing.

EDIT/// Couldn't keep on testing, game keeps crashing and my fps get butchered every time at random intervals, I believe my potato pc can't handle it. This is the KSP.log from last season.

Edited by Kerbos
link on crash

@ShotgunNinja didn't answer sooner because the last dll was working flawlessly on 1.0.3 (except that the malfunctions were there no matter what, even tried using a second copy of original saved game) so I gave it a couple of hours... playing, then I cleaned the last log and tried again this time trying to fix my fps drop (I would get the drop at random mostly, seems like my pc can barely do the maths on background checks), and that's when I noticed some things.

• Pic 1, 2 & 3, malfunctions are always on the same components and the same percentages.
  • Pic 4 and 5, nothing to do with kerbalism, but FYI, the mod environmental enhancer was the main reason for the fps drop.
  • Pic 6, forgot to delete that one, nothing to say there.
  • Pic 7, I can't tell 100% sure, but I think engines won't overheat.
  • Pic 8, EVA and ship disappear, Jeb doesn't care.
  • Pic 9, changed profiles, from my mixture between default-realism to default and everything went to hell, couldn't even see ships
  • Pic 10, new ship on launchpad, but also a random solar thing only affects active vessel, default profile.
  • Pic 11, same thing but this time can't even see the space center, or the planet, default profile.

Also fixed the first link on the other post (the crash link) just in case, here's the ksp.log when things happen, and I wanna point out that the default profile when starting a career mode works fine, this things only happen when you change from 1 profile to another on the same saved game

Edited by Kerbos

17 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I just had one of those brilliant ideas that only extreme sleep deprivation can give. I'm going to replace the stock science & data transmission systems. More details will follow in a few days, cheers.

Hopefully this remains modular, because I know at least @nightingale is planning his own science system rewrite and I think there was one other modder working on something similar as well

@Gaiiden Definitely will be something optional, and probably disabled by default - at least for some versions. 
I've found @nightingale thread here, where he mention a science system overhaul mod but there is no information about it, maybe I'm missing the real thread?
Also this has some interesting idea.

What I personally have in mind is more minimalist, essentially just having experiments take time to complete and be able to execute in background. Then the data is transmitted over a longer time (maybe with more realistic data rates), also in background. Finally I just add the science data to the stock system as it comes from the transmissions. Still thinking about the details however.

@ShotgunNinjaAlready gave a good try to the new dll, everything works fine, no massive malfunctions, and seems to work faster when it comes to the background check, my pc won't hang and my fps will never drop beyond the 25 threshold, I can live with that :), still haven't check if warp messes up with food/water/oxygen values.

EDIT/// Just tested for 1hr every resource, they work all of them including radiation and madness, and a 3 months warp at max speed gave the same results as an x1000.

Just found something curious, scrubbers are supposed to extend the amount of time of oxygen? if you enable/disable scrubbers the amount of time you get goes up like a 30-40%. I thought scrubbers where only there to prevent CO2 intoxication by venting it, because you can't actually get anything useful out of CO2... never mind that.

Cheers!

Edited by Kerbos

New version is out, 1.0.4

Changelog:
  - refactored overall architecture
  - new resource system: faster, stronger
  - optimized signal system
  - optimized background resource simulation  
  - vessel cache: smart FIFO eviction strategy
  - optimized malfunction module
  - more stable depletion estimates
  - improved signal link rendering
  - vessel info show consumption/production rates  
  - vessel monitor and planner ui remain visible on mouse over    
  - balance: decreased malfunction rate
  - balance: reduced engine malfunction penalty  
  - fix: background resource simulation inconsistencies at extreme timewarp
  - fix: vessels not getting included in relay network calculations
  - fix: scrubber and recycler inconsistencies during timewarp blending
  - fix: greenhouse assuming the part has shutters
  - fix: atmosphere description in vessel info window

Hey. I have a question. I've been trying to get my water reclamation done using the scrubber module, and added this coding after the first scrubber module:

MODULE
  {
    name = Scrubber

// change scrubbed resource
    resource_name = Water

// change waste name
    waste_name = WasteWater

// change ec/s per-crew
    ec_rate = 0.01
    @ec_rate *= #$/CrewCapacity$

// change waste/s per-crew
    waste_rate = 0.006
    @waste_rate *= #$/CrewCapacity$
  }

Will this coding work? And will there be any problems using this?

@BashGordon33 It should work, with these two (minor) issues:

• when inside a breathable atmosphere it will stop recycling and instead start producing 'resource_name' at 'intake_rate' per-second (that default to 1.0)
  • the right-click ui will show it as a 'Scrubber'

You can solve both of them by using a recycler module instead, that was created esplicitly to address them.
The only thing you need to change is 'name = Scrubber' into 'name = Recycler', and maybe add a custom 'display_name'.

Spoiler

MODULE
{
  name = Recycler

resource_name = Water

// change waste name
  waste_name = WasteWater

// change ec/s per-crew
  ec_rate = 0.01

waste_rate = 0.006

// change text displayed in right-click ui
  display_name = Water recycler
}

20 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@BashGordon33 It should work, with these two (minor) issues:

• when inside a breathable atmosphere it will stop recycling and instead start producing 'resource_name' at 'intake_rate' per-second (that default to 1.0)
  • the right-click ui will show it as a 'Scrubber'

You can solve both of them by using a recycler module instead, that was created esplicitly to address them.
The only thing you need to change is 'name = Scrubber' into 'name = Recycler', and maybe add a custom 'display_name'.

Reveal hidden contents

MODULE
{
  name = Recycler

resource_name = Water

// change waste name
  waste_name = WasteWater

// change ec/s per-crew
  ec_rate = 0.01

waste_rate = 0.006

// change text displayed in right-click ui
  display_name = Water recycler
}

I'll keep in mind the display name, but I wanted to use the scrubber because of the progression of efficiency as I get better technology. Also, I completed Science Defs for Kerbol, Moho, Eve, Gilly, Kerbin, Mun and Minmus, and am working on the Duna and Dres defs now

@BashGordon33 Good point. I think in next version I'll add a property to Recycler module to have its output influenced by efficiency (the same determined for scrubbers). Will default to false to not break existing setups.

EDIT: Hey, I just added it. Replace Kerbalism.dll with this one, and add 'use_efficiency = true' to the Recycler. Let me know if there is some problem.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

3 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@BashGordon33 Good point. I think in next version I'll add a property to Recycler module to have its output influenced by efficiency (the same determined for scrubbers). Will default to false to not break existing setups.

EDIT: Hey, I just added it. Replace Kerbalism.dll with this one, and add 'use_efficiency = true' to the Recycler. Let me know if there is some problem.

Will this mess with existing saves? I don't want to start again. Also: I just did the Duna defs.