[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

I think I may have found an issue with Kerbalism's background processing.  If I put use the CryoTanks from NearFuture the power draw in simulation and in the background are totally different.  In sim it works normally and matches the VAB but when I switch back to the space center the batteries flat line in a couple of seconds.

The helper in the VAB is showing perpetual power.  The issue occurs with both reactors and solar panels.  If I remove Kerbalism the problem no longer occurs, so I don't think it's a NearFuture issue.

Edited by RzTen1

Thank you ShotgunNinja, the latest build fixed the perpetual messages for consumables with realism config.

Did you consider allowing more than one input/output ressources - again maybe? This would give a greate degree of freedom for any sort of converter/scrubber and complex ISRU.

@New Horizons poked me about the config I made for TAC Life Support converters way back when. Turns out that I never actually posted them in this thread... Silly me.

If anyone are interested in the config, you can find it here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuFEM7_Fm5Yk7F-J-xrIsSfXJrVn

The way to use them is to install TAC, but then delete the "TAC Life Support" folder under Thunder Aerospace. That will allow you to keep the parts. You will likely want to keep the other parts as well (containers), they work out of the box.
For this, it is naturally highly recommended that you use the TAC profile by Rhedd for Kerbalism as well, or it will not be balanced.

Sorry for forgetting to share this back when I made it :(

@nosscireYeah IKR. Gas planet radiation belts are deadly as hell. But they also are in real life, so I guess it makes sense. I play with NH and I am terrified to go anyway near Sonnah. Seriously, it's not as bad as Jool or Sarnus, but because it's in the system you start out at, you don't get good enough to know how to avoid or minimise damage. I killed 2 Kerbals because I put them through the belt. 

@ShotgunNinja Yeah it worked, but I haven't played long enough to check if it works permanently. But at least I know I can edit the persistent file to fix damage. And what do you want me to do for science definitions? I guess I'll do OPM first, it's the most known planet pack. Sorry, but I don't know how to make patch files that check if a certain mod is downloaded, or edit existing science definitions. I obviously have to change Eeloo's definition. I'll see if I can find out how to do that first.

EDIT: Is it possible that using 64 bit KSP could cause these errors? 

EDIT2: It happened again too one of my orbiting vessels. The Climate and Radiation levels for my Kerbals also say NaN. Normal or not?

EDIT 3: I've been playing for around 6 hours since the last NaN error and had no problems. Might just be a one off thing

Edited by BashGordon33

New release, mostly bugfixes: 1.0.8

- stable signal link rendering
  - science experiment definitions for the geiger counter, thanks BashGordon33!
  - dropped support for savegames from version 0.9.9.4 or older
  - only allow 1 malfunction module per-part
  - fix: monitor reporting poor manufacturing quality for all vessels
  - fix: depletion estimates reporting perpetual with very small rates
  - fix: possible division by zero in resource simulation
  - fix: wrong amount of ec consumed by cryotank background simulation

4 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

New release, mostly bugfixes: 1.0.8

- fix: wrong amount of ec consumed by cryotank background simulation

I'm still having the EC drain issue with 1.0.8.  It looks like it may be this:

Kerbalism computes the EC cost on the Cryo Tanks as follows:
ec.Consume(cooling_cost * fuel.amount * 0.001 * elapsed_s)

SimpleBoiloff uses:
part.RequestResource("ElectricCharge", coolingCost * TimeWarp.fixedDeltaTime)

I'm not sure why Simple doesn't include the amount of fuel in the energy calculation, but that seems to be what's throwing it off.

Is it possible to temporarily disable background resource simulation? I want to time-warp to get an intercept trajectory, but I'm afraid my extra-planetary bases will be destroyed. Would it be easier for me to use KittopiaTech to just move the planets?

@N70 I'll be working on OPM definitions next :D

Edited by BashGordon33

@RzTen1 Just checked, cryotank also calculate this when you load the vessel:

coolingCost = fuelAmount/1000.0 * CoolingCost;

that is then used in the calculation you mention, and in fact the one done by Kerbalism is equivalent.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

I have a suggestion: add an air conditioning system part that scoops air from the atmosphere to get oxygen, allowing flight in higher atmosphere without oxygen tanks. The 7000m limit makes sense with WWII planes but not with modern airliners, which have systems in place to allow sustained high altitude flight

Also did you remove the basic resources from the pods? Or did I install something wrong?

@m4ti140 You need CommunityResourcePack, also check that you have installed the default profile (if you use CKAN, it is in a separate package).

About your idea: the whole 25kPA pressure = breathable thing is a very crude approximation, and what you suggest would probably be the way to do it: get atmospheric pressure, percentual of oxygen in atmosphere, vessel velocity and surface of the scoops exposed to velocity vector to calculate an inflow of oxygen, and then produce oxygen in the vessel. But I don't think the effort/reward ratio is good enough at this moment. I have other stuff incoming that is more interesting. But I'll bookmark the suggestion.

Experimenting with a simple particle rendering system build for speed. This will be used to visualize the magnetopause and radiation belts, among other things. Also I'm investigating a more realistic model for the magnetosphere environment, that is the real reason behind the need to visualize it.

output_i_GIN2_B.gif

11 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@RzTen1 Just checked, cryotank also calculate this when you load the vessel:

coolingCost = fuelAmount/1000.0 * CoolingCost;

that is then used in the calculation you mention, and in fact the one done by Kerbalism is equivalent.

I realize that but that doesn't seem to be the way CryoTanks actually works:
20160730142651_1.jpg

I tried unloading and reloading the vessel on the off chance it ONLY computes this on load, and it still remains at 9.72ec/s even with the tank almost empty.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, there were major changes in Cryo recently and I think the version in GitHub looks to be out of date.  I see strings in the compiled dll that aren't present in the GitHub source.  I'll mention this in the NearFuture thread as well.

Edited by RzTen1
tried reloading

Hello there, ShotgunNinja. So I saw your mod a while back and thought it looked really cool, and I just got around to starting a new career mode with it, and it seems amazing so far! Except I've been having some issues with it. I use other mods but tried removing them to see if that helped but it didn't, I have: Kerbal Alarm Clock, Community Resource Pack, KER, and Asteroid Day. Tried using Remote Tech but read that it conflicted with your mod and removed it. Would any of those be a likely cause?

Anyways, firstly there are two barometers in the tech tree, one at Engineering 101 and one at Space Exploration for me, and after unlocking the first but before the later, the barometer become locked again somehow...

Also all the command pods no longer have shielding, scrubbers, co2 storage, they did however when I first installed it, but about the time I removed Remote Tech and installed Community Resource Pack they stopped working. At first nothing had oxygen or food, but then I realized I had to install the Community Resource Pack.

@Sticky32 Hi, please make sure you have ModuleManager installed, and a recent version of it. Then delete the Kerbalism directory and reinstall it (something may have messed up the install directory, maybe). Also if you installed using CKAN double-check that you have also installed the 'KerbalismDefaultProfile' package.  BTW now you can use RemoteTech together with this mod, just install RT alongside it.

Thank you ShotgunNinja, the latest version fixed the perpetual messages for consumables with realism config.

Did you consider allowing more than one input/output ressources - again maybe? This would give a greate degree of freedom for any sort of converter/scrubber and complex ISRU.

While playing in Sandbox mode scrubbers seem to be very powerfull. Is there a command to define efficiency directly in Recycler or Scrubber modules?

Thx for the new update, working good so far.

But also came here seeking help (again), tried posting on the dev&adds forum but no one seems to answer, so... anyone here knows how get a model as .mu? I'm using Unity 5.4 and dowloaded that addon Part Tools 1.0, but still can't make it work, triple checked if it was properly installed and all that, running out of ideas now :(. Also tried using the plugin for import/export in blender, but it's missing a bunch of features that I could actually use on Blender+Unity

3 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Experimenting with a simple particle rendering system build for speed. This will be used to visualize the magnetopause and radiation belts, among other things. Also I'm investigating a more realistic model for the magnetosphere environment, that is the real reason behind the need to visualize it.

output_i_GIN2_B.gif

Alright now that looks awesome. So particles in map view would be used to visually represent magnetosphere and radiation belts? Great idea! 

2 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Sticky32 Hi, please make sure you have ModuleManager installed, and a recent version of it. Then delete the Kerbalism directory and reinstall it (something may have messed up the install directory, maybe). Also if you installed using CKAN double-check that you have also installed the 'KerbalismDefaultProfile' package.  BTW now you can use RemoteTech together with this mod, just install RT alongside it.

Can we have radiation belts that gradually fade?

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Kerbos said:

Hey @ShotgunNinja, I've been poking around again all that thing about the NEED and stuffs and managed to actually make it work for Universal Storage (turns out @ ; , ! { weren't just fancy ways of making something easy to read), but now as you can imagine got a few issues with it.

Universal Storage has a piece of thing that holds CO2, since poisoning and intoxication is (I think) something you'll make possible in the future (also US has an oxygen purifier, works just like your scrubber, so I've poked the values to make it twice as faster as an MK1 pod but also doubled EC, works like a charm when you got 8 kerbals and 1 scrubber only) I've been trying to make it work, but the tank doesn't seems to register the emissions or something like that.

Here's my realism.cfg and the CO2 tanks config.

Also, where I'm supposed to save a fix config file like the one that @DarkonZ did? Because I've been doing the NEED thing inside each of those config files from the other mods, and I'm pretty sure that's not the way to do it :P

Not that I'm an expert, but you shouldn't be mucking around with any other mods files if you want to bend Kerbalism to your needs. Any and all changes should be done within the Kerbalism directory. Go here: https://github.com/Skaxly01/Kerbalism_KPBS  and check out some of my Realism patch files (Only two?). They're rather simple and straightforward and should give you some ideas on how to do what you want.

@New Horizons If you need more flexibility in the input and outputs use the stock converter module, now the planner fully simulate those.

To limit efficiency in sandbox, you can use this little hack:

Spoiler

@ScrubberEfficiency
{
  @tech0 = start            // 60%
  @tech1 = start            // 70%
  @tech2 = unresearchable   // 80%
  @tech3 = unresearchable   // 90%
}

In this case, this will set the efficiency at 70% in sandbox mode (for new launched vessels).

@Kerbos Sorry, no idea. Never messed with PartTools myself.

@N70 The magnetosphere and belts already fade gradually at the boundaries. But I think you are talking about not having a 'safe heaven' where radiation is 0 anymore. Some other user (sorry, forgot the name) also suggested having the radiation go 'negative' at some point, to allow radiation recovery without changing the rule system at all. I'm still not certain if both of these may be desiderable gameplay-wise.

The new model separate the 'signed distance function' defining the shape from the 'radiation gradient' mapping distance from the border to radiation values. Both of these will be more realistic, so the radiation will fade gradually in the interior and with intensity proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. But a 'safe heaven' area of zero radiation can still be added, or not: I have not decided on this yet.

Can background radiation increase, when we get closer to any star?

There would be some minimum radiation - caused by galaxy.

This way missions to closest planets orbiting stars would be harder.

Edited by raxo2222