[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@ShotgunNinja First of all, this mod is AMAZING, congratulations and thanks!

then, i'm having a lot of troubles with solar panels and a few troubles with ec, oxygen and food.

1. really often (really really often on a minmus base using gigantor xl arrays, quite rarely on a station in low kerbin orbit usint 1x6 solar panel) solar panels don't seem to orient to the sun during time acceleration, either fast or slow, long or short, resulting in a quick and unstoppable loss of ec then climate then death.

2. rearely, when i switch from a ship to another from the tracking station, it happens that some of the resources like ec, oxygen and food, drops to zero for a few seconds, causing all kind of related troubles, and in a few seconds comes back to full.

if you could fix and/or help me out with these it would be great, and again, congrats for this amazing mod!

EDIT:
i'm using:

ksp 1.1.3
kerbalism
stock visual enhancements
kerbal alarm clock
mechjeb
kerbal engineering
mechjeb and engineering for all
planetarybase
station science

Edited by deb

Question: Where are the resources for Food and Oxygen? I have the containers, and not the resource. It doesnt even show up in the Pre Flight Checklist thing.

Im using Opm, and Kebalism, PlaneterayBaseSystem Inc, and some other mods.

Any fixes?

This mod is just...wow.  Almost another gameplay mode.  It's got tasty bits of many mods, both current and long abandoned, mixed into a delightful entree all it's own.  

I've found it a great complement to 6.4 scale Kerbol combined with Stockalike Real fuels and the engineering tech tree.  It plays alot like RP-0, only in the Kerbal world vs. Earth.  Seriously, try this combination (along with favorite part packs and anything else to up the realism level).  It's a great intro to RO (if one wishes to push it further) or the best way to get stock-alike realism (and still the ability to enjoy highly futuristic mods).

It's definitely found a niche.  I think this will be my go-to for "mission-centric progressive" career games while USI-LS will be good for "late game colonization" careers.  

@deb Nº 1 was a very well known bug, it use to be twins with the goddamntimewarpwithparachutes bug over 2 or 3 years back (last one has been fixed) and as far as I can remember the deadlock had something to do with the old physic wobbling in the old KSP (the reason why ships are put into rails when time warp is over x4), I don't think that matters now, but it is still a stock bug.

And Nº 2 sounds like you are setting the MJ autopilot ON in the ships that you see this happening.

@autumnalequinox Try hard mode! you won't believe the amount of time you'll spend calculating trajectories, (I sucks at it but it's fun) failing a lot and sending probes into solar orbit, everything to ensure your manned ships will actually reach where you wanna go with enough fuel to come back (I still haven't landed on Duna because of how hard it's to get science).

Edited by Kerbos

Just now, Kerbos said:

@autumnalequinox Try hard mode! you won't believe the amount of time you'll spend calculating trajectories, (I sucks at it but it's fun) failing a lot and sending probes into solar orbit, everything to ensure your manned ships will actually reach where you wanna go with enough fuel to come back (I still haven't landed on Duna because of how hard it's to get science).

I think I'm running "realism" mode.  That what you're talking about?  Or is there a level even harder?  I also use Mechjeb for maneuver nodes and some ascent guidance since I have RO physics configs with FAR, etc.  Still working with crazy tight payload margins and having to make decisions down to the kilogram. :)

Just now, autumnalequinox said:

I think I'm running "realism" mode.  That what you're talking about?  Or is there a level even harder?  I also use Mechjeb for maneuver nodes and some ascent guidance since I have RO physics configs with FAR, etc.  Still working with crazy tight payload margins and having to make decisions down to the kilogram. :)

The stock career hard mode -10% rewards + plus the mods you got with MJ optional, I don't use it because personally I feel it makes things easier, but when you've already launched 500 probes you just press space bar and go get a coffe or something, 100% understandable.

Hi,  I'm having trouble and can't find any help anywhere,   for some reason out of no where,  my main minmus base isn't simulation power gain anymore,  but it's doing a great job of simulating the power usage!   if i'm not on the ship I have 30 minutes of power.....but when i'm focused on it I have infinite power!    when I look at "details" it says "perpetual" but goes to 0 anyways!   any ideas??   Wonder if it's the same power issue as "deb"  but I'm powered mostly by stationary solar panels

Edited by Mcflow195

@Mcflow195 Maybe you have some power production that is not simulated by Kerbalism in background. What kind of power generation you have no that base?

@Kerbos 

12 hours ago, Kerbos said:

Nº 1 was a very well known bug, it use to be twins with the goddamntimewarpwithparachutes bug over 2 or 3 years back (last one has been fixed) and as far as I can remember the deadlock had something to do with the old physic wobbling in the old KSP (the reason why ships are put into rails when time warp is over x4), I don't think that matters now, but it is still a stock bug.

And Nº 2 sounds like you are setting the MJ autopilot ON in the ships that you see this happening

Thanks for the info on (1), Kerbalism does nothing to panels in loaded vessels so this one was puzzling. Also very unfortunate.

Could you elaborate on (2)?

EDIT: I found out the exact cause of (1), and is stock and not solvable by a mod. I'll leave the findings here for reference.

If a re-orienting solar panel is a few meters above the zero-altitude surface of a celestial body, the stock raytracing system is not able to detect that the celestial body is occluding the sun. The bigger the panel, the higher it has to be above ground to not trigger this bug.

The reason this is a rare occurrence is due to the fact that solar panels are rarely placed very near the surface, and that there are only a few places where you can land above the zero-altitude surface. Most notabily, the Minmus flatlands.

The workaround is to avoid placing re-orienting solar panels too near the surface.

Now Issue 10338 on the squad bugtracker.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

2 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Mcflow195 Maybe you have some power production that is not simulated by Kerbalism in background. What kind of power generation you have no that base?

@Kerbos 

Thanks for the info on (1), Kerbalism does nothing to panels in loaded vessels so this one was puzzling. Also very unfortunate.

I'm using solar panels,  but some of the panels are from "nearfuture solar".  But I was looking at my base after posting yesterday and it's ever since I put my production and greenhouse establishments that the probleme exist,  maybe I just wasn't burning enough energy before and now it's become an issue if the moveable panels aren't following.....i'll try building and sending a solar array made from non moveable panels and see what happends....

13 hours ago, Kerbos said:

The stock career hard mode -10% rewards + plus the mods you got with MJ optional, I don't use it because personally I feel it makes things easier, but when you've already launched 500 probes you just press space bar and go get a coffe or something, 100% understandable.

Oh yes I always run career like this.  I've found a system that keeps the money perfectly tight and only allows for a few failures before major redesign is needed.  To keep things more science focused I also use Science Funding with a small bonus per science brought back (it excludes labs for good reason, which gives you a good trade-off).  I've also banned myself/disabled reverting/quickloading except in the case of bugs.

My career has been progressing very realistically.  Especially with the radiation belt.  It gives another solid reason to use probes first (ETT has a manned-after-probes system) and the major bottlenecks Kerbalism provides for long-duration spaceflight (in addition to using Kscalex64 which keeps payloads small).  I think I've finally tuned the progression down almost perfectly.  And with KCT you get some science for building new designs (less for repeats) and that keeps the game from grinding to a halt.  Basically it turns into a delicate balancing act between science and funds.  Failure is punished but there is no point where you can get "stuck".  Experimentation is rewarded eventually, as well as bold attempts to wrestle some science even if risky (I saved my cash/sci strapped program by launching a battery/capacitor laden probe with magnetometers and radiation sensors through the belt, even though it never made orbit). 

I'm really digging this combo I may have to make a post about my mod configuration/settings/personal configs for anyone that wants them.  It's literally taken me months and dozens of careers to achieve this balance.

5 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I don't really know if kerbalism has background ec support for MJ, but the module consumes some ec, and if SmartASS is activated on MJ every time you check the vessel by any mean it turns active.

Now this is totally unrelated, but something that maybe most ppl is unaware when using KAC + MJ, but both mods control timewarp on their own way, sometimes causing screwed up rendezvous maneuvers or missing nodes, so to prevent this you gotta deactivate one timewarp controller on any of those mods.

PS: Shotgun, I've spended the last week learning and practicing texture, whoever did the greenhouse is one hell of an artist (the texturing I'm used to do was simply playing with colors, effects and values inside blender before rendering, simply useless for KSP) and I've come to realize something, how the heck is supposed to be a MedBay anyway? It should be a small radial attached module or 1.25 / 2.5 thing, and the height? After a lot of thinking I thought the best would be a big 2.5 thing, tall as a stock mobile lab and be unlocked in the same R&D module too, but that's just me and I'm not really good thinking about balance.

Edited by Kerbos

@Kerbos No background simulation of any MJ part. To be fair, I never used it and don't know if some of its inner workings can interfere with this mod. I hope not.

I'm not a 3d artist by any means, but I guess the mobile lab shape may be a good starting point for a MedBay. Balance is something that can come later, as usually require a big deal of testing and tweaking.

The texturing process, as far as I know, goes like this: you start from the model and 'project' its polygonal surface over a 2d texture (this is called UV unwrapping and is done by algorithms in programs like Blender, some of them require varying degree of user intervention like eg: marking 'seems' between some vertex pairs). Then you paint on the 2d texture using image editing software, or use Blender to paint over the model.

The greenhouse author is @zzz. I did just some minor tweaks to the texture to make it look a bit less 'high-tech'.

Has there been any thought to making small resource containers that could be put in a KIS cargo craft? (Progress, ATV, Dragon, etc.) I know there were some small containers that worked with TAC that could be loaded into a craft and sent up to a station.

@ShotgunNinja The only way it could interfere is if the autopilot was trying to execute a maneuver, you'll see it on the EC consumption, but since there's not background simulation for it SmartASS now goes offline when the ship is not 100% loaded (I haven't used MJ for like a year now), so there goes my theory

Spoiler

screenshot56.png

screenshot57.png

screenshot58.png

Also I've just finished a mocking model, it has a washing machine, so you can wash the radiation HAHahAhAaha... I'm an idiot :sticktongue:

Spoiler

13.png

14.png

3 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

Has there been any thought to making small resource containers that could be put in a KIS cargo craft? (Progress, ATV, Dragon, etc.) I know there were some small containers that worked with TAC that could be loaded into a craft and sent up to a station.

They already exist, the only catch is that you're gonna need some really big containers for the larger items, USI has the Freight Enterprise mod which comes with some Kontainers especially made for KIS, the larger one can hold up to 160000L.

Spoiler

screenshot53.png

screenshot52.png

screenshot54.png

Edited by Kerbos

Experimenting with magnetic fields for other planets: this is the Mercury/Moho one, that is speculated to be just about powerful enough to trap particles, but the scientists are not sure. So I made its outer belt highly deformed, with holes. Sorry for the small gif, video uploaded here.

output_QMESJ2.gif

The model right now include:

• magnetopause, inner and outer belts
  • solar wind pressure compress it on dayside, and extend it on nightside
  • outer belt extension vary with distance from body
  • use GSM coordinates, aligned with sun direction, can be skewed
  • arbitrary magnetic poles axis
  • all elements can be deformed by a sin function

I'm trying to map this to the old heuristic function used to determine the magnetosphere for an arbitrary body, but it seem that it will be a pain. Also will somehow not leverage all the aspects of the new model. So I'm thinking of authoring all of them in ConfigNodes. I'm willing to author them for stock bodies and OPM, for this version, then later RSS and RSS-Extended. The parameters are all in body radii, so they should work for all planet scale mods without further changes. The rest of the Kerbal mod universe will have to be authored by third parties.

6 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I'm trying to map this to the old heuristic function used to determine the magnetosphere for an arbitrary body, but it seem that it will be a pain. Also will somehow not leverage all the aspects of the new model. So I'm thinking of authoring all of them in ConfigNodes. I'm willing to author them for stock bodies and OPM, for this version, then later RSS and RSS-Extended. The parameters are all in body radii, so they should work for all planet scale mods without further changes. The rest of the Kerbal mod universe will have to be authored by third parties.

I'll be happy to make magnetosphere patches for other famous planet packs, but it might take awhile depending on how hard the patches are to create. I actually know a lot about real life magnetospheres so the science part of this shouldn't be too hard, but the coding might be difficult. The first patch I'll make will probably be for New Horizons. I'll just reverse engineer the OPM file you make. 

On 8/7/2016 at 9:18 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

@Starslinger999 You are either missing CommunityResourcePack, or you installed this using CKAN but didn't install also the 'Default Profile' package.

I was missing ComunityResourcePack, Got it when i installed MKS and the amazing MKS  - Kerbalisim Patch. Working Fine now Thx