[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

58 minutes ago, DarkonZ said:

I was talking about [Module]ENTERTAINMENT values

Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood. Here are the values, note that they are not on the wiki.

[0] none [1.25] boring [2.5] tolerable [4.5] good

1 hour ago, DarkonZ said:

Impressive list, but are you sure they work precisely the way they should

Some issues are present, those that I am aware of are fixed in next version, I didn't release yet as I'm finishing. Here they are: support SCANsat 16.4+, fixed Cryotank simulation, stock converters background simulation detect when they are full, and some minor issues with greenhouse and KIS interaction.

If you are aware of something that is not in this list, let me know.

Don't worry, I'm as much to blame. I was thinking 'entertainment' yet specified 'poor' as the read out. I'd guess you had to figure out what the heck I was talking about. Luckily, I can go back and re-work my part. However, are you sure these values are true and correct? Wouldn't (1.5x3) yield a GOOD result? Not what I get with 3 stacked parts with 3 crew. See for yourself...

Use the link you were nice enough to give me on the OP? It's the parts pack. The 'large plus' part has the entertainment module x 1.5.

Edited by DarkonZ

Version 1.0.9 released.

Changelog

Spoiler

- new magnetosphere & radiation models
  - support for stock bodies, OPM & RSS
  - press ALT+N on map view or tracking station to show/hide the magnetic fields
  - you can also press Keypad 0/1/2/3 to quickly toggle between them
  - new module: Emitter, can add/remove radiation from a vessel
  - the stock nuclear engine emit some radiation
  - the old high-tech food container has been repurposed as an active shield
  - tech progression patch for ETT by autumnalequinox
  - OPM science definitions for geiger counter by BashGordon33
  - pressing ALT in the VAB make the planner consider the crew at full capacity
  - optimized line rendering and improved antialiasing
  - fix: issue with greenhouse when waste_rate is zero
  - fix: greenhouse growth becoming NaN when attached using KIS
  - fix: signal disconnections in some circumstances
  - fix: detect when converters are full in background
  - fix: cryotank background cooling and boiloff rates proportional to capacity
  - fix: vessel info window height when unmanned vessel is selected
  - fix: support SCANsat version 16.4+

New radiation model

Celestial bodies now have more rich radiation environments. Multiple bodies can share the same model if desired.
Some documentation on how to customize this is available here and an example here.
Definitions for stock, OPM and RSS bodies are already included.

Magnetic field rendering

You can press ALT+N in the map view / tracking station to show a little control panel to toggle the fields rendering.
You can also use Keypad+0/1/2/3 to quickly toggle between the fields.

magnetic_fields0.png

Radiation Emitters

A new module is available to implement parts that emit radiation, and parts that reduce radiation. You can find some documentation here.
The stock nuclear engine now emit radiation. The old 'high-tech' food container has been repurposed as a late tech-tree active shield.

That's all for now, have fun.

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Version 1.0.9 released.

Changelog

Hide contents

- new magnetosphere & radiation models
  - support for stock bodies, OPM & RSS
  - press ALT+N on map view or tracking station to show/hide the magnetic fields
  - you can also press Keypad 0/1/2/3 to quickly toggle between them
  - new module: Emitter, can add/remove radiation from a vessel
  - the stock nuclear engine emit some radiation
  - the old high-tech food container has been repurposed as an active shield
  - tech progression patch for ETT by autumnalequinox
  - OPM science definitions for geiger counter by BashGordon33
  - pressing ALT in the VAB make the planner consider the crew at full capacity
  - optimized line rendering and improved antialiasing
  - fix: issue with greenhouse when waste_rate is zero
  - fix: greenhouse growth becoming NaN when attached using KIS
  - fix: signal disconnections in some circumstances
  - fix: detect when converters are full in background
  - fix: cryotank background cooling and boiloff rates proportional to capacity
  - fix: vessel info window height when unmanned vessel is selected
  - fix: support SCANsat version 16.4+

New radiation model

Celestial bodies now have more rich radiation environments. Multiple bodies can share the same model if desired.
Some documentation on how to customize this is available here and an example here.
Definitions for stock, OPM and RSS bodies are already included.

Magnetic field rendering

You can press ALT+N in the map view / tracking station to show a little control panel to toggle the fields rendering.
You can also use Keypad+0/1/2/3 to quickly toggle between the fields.

magnetic_fields0.png

Radiation Emitters

A new module is available to implement parts that emit radiation, and parts that reduce radiation. You can find some documentation here.
The stock nuclear engine now emit radiation. The old 'high-tech' food container has been repurposed as a late tech-tree active shield.

@FreeThinker I think you can add more fun to your nuclear engines/reactors :)

Radiation Emitters

I would be nice if these part models have an interface which other mods like KSPI-E can interact with. I would like to enable the radiation emitters depending on circumstances. For example when a D-T Vista fusion reactor is active any Kerbal in a 12 Mile radius should get fried in a matter of seconds. I want to be able to enable or disable the radiation module. For this I need some public interface I can access.

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I would be nice if these part models have an interface which other mods like KSPI-E can interact with. I would like to enable the radiation emitters depending on circumstances. For example when a D-T Vista fusion reactor is active any Kerbal in a 12 Mile radius should get fried in a matter of seconds. I want to be able to enable or disable the radiation module. For this I need some public interface I can access.

I'll add another function to inject the radiation in a neightborood, that also consider shielding too. So custom emitters can be implemented just with a single function call.

@lajoswinkler Ah right, I forgot! :) The sun has an heliopause now. Also, mostly to showcase the model flexibility, Vall surface emit mild radiation and Dres has two 'polar anomalies'.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

Uhm I see no use for the Active Shield, it weight 1.5 ton and consume 2 ec/s  at intensity 1 ( 0.005 rad/h )

With the same amount of shield , my kerbals can live much longer...so what am I missing here? .-.

@brusura Is a bit subtle. The active shield is no replacement for Shielding, that scale incoming radiation. Instead, it remove a fixed amount of incoming radiation. This has big consequences on low radiation environments (eg: in atmospheres, in magnetopauses, in interplanetary space) but little to no consequences in high radiation environments (eg: belts, storms).

12 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@brusura Is a bit subtle. The active shield is no replacement for Shielding, that scale incoming radiation. Instead, it remove a fixed amount of incoming radiation. This has big consequences on low radiation environments (eg: in atmospheres, in magnetopauses, in interplanetary space) but little to no consequences in high radiation environments (eg: belts, storms).

I see, anyway there is a little bug if you add more part with seat for kerbals but no shielding the estimate time for surviving with the same amount of shielding goes down

http://imgur.com/a/1SwTq

Edited by brusura

@lajoswinkler Ah right, I forgot! :) The sun has an heliopause now. Also, mostly to showcase the model flexibility, Vall surface emit mild radiation and Dres has two 'polar anomalies'.

I saw you made Duna have a global, although weak field. That's ok, but it would be nice to have at least one body have field just like Mars and the Moon have.

mars_magnetic_fields.jpg

Sadly, we'll probably never see these things in stock KSP. Or, if they get implemented, it will be in a dreadfully stupid way.

Just for starters, loving Kerbalism, in stock, Kopernicus planet packs and recently, trying to use it with RSS/RO.

Downside is, when used in conjunction with Real Fuels, the Kerbal doesn't take any MonoPropellant out with them for EVA fuel even though I've specifically put some on board. Is there a way to fix this, or barring that, a way to disable the need for propellant to fill the Kerbal's EVA pack?

EDIT: So, with some testing, looks like Hydrazine is the winner. Loaded up the pod with every single fuel and that's the one the Kerbal took, good enough!

Edited by IggyHitokage

@lajoswinkler You can do it pretty easily, just need to tweak the 'irregular' model a bit:

@RadiationModel[irregular]
{
  @pause_radius = 1.0			// set magnetopause radius equal to body radius
  @pause_compression = 1.0		// no dayside compression
  @pause_extension = 1.0		// no nightside extension
  @pause_deform = 0.1			// deform up and down by 0.1 body radii using sum of sin functions
}

Or you could even create a new model and assign it to Duna/Mars

RadiationModel
{
  name = my_model

has_pause = true
  pause_radius = 1.0
  pause_deform = 0.1
  pause_quality = 60
}

@RadiationBody[Duna] { @model = my_model }
@RadiationBody[Mars]:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem] { @model = my_model }

@IggyHitokage Yes if there is RealFuel installed, Hydrazine is used instead of Monopropellant. Probably should write this somewhere...

Edited by ShotgunNinja

Having trouble getting the new fields to show up visibly around planets. I just check the boxes to green checkmarks next to the type of field, right?

I updated to the latest version with CKAN, perhaps that caused it? I tried removing outer plants mod and starting a new game and it did nothing. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

3 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Xira1234 When you click the checkmarks, is a message displayed that say 'calculating fields, come back in a minute'? If yes, wait a bit. If not, send me your log.

I get no such message. Waiting fixes nothing. Uninstalling and reinstalling the mod/KSP does not fix. Uninstalling all mods/KSP and reinstalling KSP and only Kerbalism does nothing. Tried to message you the file, think I broke the website in the process...Here's a couple of links to a couple of log files. Is it possible I need to perform some sort of feat  before they display, such as crossing the radiation belt? Or could it be graphics card related?

http://www.filedropper.com/ksp_2

http://www.filedropper.com/ksp_3

1 hour ago, Xira1234 said:

Or could it be graphics card related?

Possible. The log show that the fields have been generated. Can you try to go in Settings.cfg and set LowQualityFieldRendering to true and let me know if that change something in your case. 

19 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Possible. The log show that the fields have been generated. Can you try to go in Settings.cfg and set LowQualityFieldRendering to true and let me know if that change something in your case. 

Made the requested change, still nothing appears in-game. Can you tell me where the fields are stored so I can delete them so they will regenerate? Tried deleting the Kerbalism folder and reinstalling it from CKAN and it does not appear fixed.

39 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Reinstalled Geforce drivers, reinstalled Kerbalism directory, no change. Using a GTX 970 on Windows 10 64

<3 the new field visuals.  I just realized how beautifully Kerbalism pairs with Orbital Decay.  You can't "cheat" orbital decay anymore by simply putting stations/craft in high orbits to preserve station keeping fuel.  Either you brave radioactive death or deal with steadily decreasing fuel or orbit.  Just like real life! :D