[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@Polnoch If you want to remove the Geiger Counter (the only science part provided) then you can delete the folder Parts/GeigerCounter with no other drawbacks.

Likewise you can avoid using any of the science tweaks (some stock experiments rearranged, science values tweaked, etc) by deleting the file Patches/Tweaks/ScienceTweaks.cfg.

Also if you want more customization, edit your profile file in Profiles/Default.cfg (where you can enable/disable individual features like malfunction and signal). Some documentation about that is here.

58 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I'm thinking, if the light rotate fast enough it could be approximated by one spotlight, that is acceptable in term of performance. Even two lights may be okay. At that point I could rotate it in code, directly or by animation (that I think should be possible in Unity 5 as you are only animating the transform).

I've just tried this, 2 rotatory independent directional light sources, looks good-dizzy mixture, hyperedited a kerbal inventory to test it out on larger scale but sadly I could feel the impact on a ship with almost 200 parts including other stock spotlights, rotation speed did made a difference through, I'm gonna have to go for emissive somehow.

Gonna check D.E.R.P. and then redesign the medbay that thx to stupid unity had to dismember to the bones trying to find nonexistent open vertexes in a sad attempt to animate.

@Kerbos Light radius matter. I don't even know if Unity let you specify that, but it should. If it doesn't, it probably infer the radius from the falloff parameter. It matter because the slowdown is proportional to number of lights multiplied by objects touched by the light. This is becaue Unity, in 2016, is still not a deferred renderer. They got a depth texture of the scene for soft particles, but that's all.

So essentially it work this way: every object is drawn a number of times, in the worst case it is drawn 1 time for sun + ambient, then 1 other time for each light whose frustum touch it. If you make it such that the light radius is a few meters, only a small amount of objects are going to need to be rendered again.

@ShotgunNinja yes it does, current radius was 2.5 mts, what I didn't knew is that it draws the objects every time light changes, so moving parts won't help at all, right now I'm digging through D.E.R.P. models, can't find the light yet, time to install the mod and see wich one is it on ksp :P

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Kerbos Oh wait, maybe it was in USI Exploration Pack. It was definitely some of the USI mods.

The fact that light moves/rotate should have zero implications on performance.

That was the mod, but it just like I did it, except RoverDude positioned the lights ahead of the beacon, but I did found something interesting about transparency and alpha channels and KSP seems more than ok with it, the effect is kinda off but still works.

On a side note this 2 command pods and the Jumpseat seems very small/weak to actually carry any shielding

Spoiler

screenshot57.png

EDIT/// Maybe a simple blacklist cfg, here's the names of the pods just in case

model = UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/HERP/assets/HERP_POD --------> This is the round one

name = HERP_Pod

model = UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/HERP/assets/HERP_JumpSeat

name = HERP_JumpSeat

model = UmbraSpaceIndustries/ExpPack/AES/Assets/AES

name = AES_Pod

Edited by Kerbos

@Kerbos Is possible to set Shielding amount/capacity in a crewed part, using MM or otherwise. Then my code doesn't set the shielding automatically. This can be used to create parts that require more shielding than usual, parts that are already hardened, or parts that can't be shielded at all.

Spoiler

@PART[large_space_low_crew_capacity]
{
  RESOURCE
  {
    name = Shielding
    amount = 0.0
    maxAmount = 10.0
  }
}

@PART[already_hardened]
{
  RESOURCE
  {
    name = Shielding
    amount = 0.0
    maxAmount = 0.0
  }
}

@PART[small_pods_that_cant_be_shielded]
{
  RESOURCE
  {
    name = Shielding
    amount = 0.0
    maxAmount = 1.0
    isTweakable = false
    isVisible = false
  }
}

@Kerbos Nope. Didn't do a thing. When you mentioned about the NV cache it rang a bell. Can't remember why.

@ShotgunNinja I know Barrin hasn't been around, but would you mind changing the 'waste_buffer' in the Oxygen rule for the realism profile. It's set at 45.0 and that means 45 days worth of CO2 waste. Really? That's actually 4.5 times the default value of 10. And I can't imagine even the dumbest kerbals would store 45 days of CO2 for a single man command pod. 101.25x45 = Too much!

Actually, I've got my patches using 2 days as a marker. Without any other mods to make use of CO2, I couldn't see a reason for going higher (Unless I just stick with the standard 3 days like with food and water).

Another thing you could consider is having the kerbals eat twice a day (Breakfast/Dinner) instead of the single meal per day the realism profile has set up. This is easy to do (Half rate and interval) and changes nothing in how the realism profile behaves. I'm considering doing this with my patches. Again, I've no idea what Barrin was attempting with the realism profile, I just figured kerbals would be grumpy without at least breakfast and dinner. Oh well...

Sorry if it has been asked before. I got a mission called 'Cross the radiation belt', and the specifics are rather vague. I assumed I would have to go above the radiation rings and return the Kerbal safely back to the ground. I sent the ship into a high elliptical orbit (with the Ap almost reaching the Mun, and outside the magnetopause of Kerbin), returned to Kerbin and the mission is still incomplete. Is there something else I need to do? I am using V1.1.0 of the mod.

Edited by Awaras

Here's a compatibility patch for New Horizons:

// ============================================================================
// Radiation environments for New Horizons bodies
// ============================================================================

RadiationBody:NEEDS[New_Horizons]
{
  name = Arin
  radiation_model = earth                     // sorry, can't make it sideways
  radiation_inner = 20.0                      
  radiation_outer = 4.0                       
  radiation_pause = -0.010                    
}

{
  name = Aptur
  radiation_model = anomaly
  radiation_pause = -0.010
}

{
  name = Serran
  radiation_model = earth                     // still basically can't do weird magnetic fields (serran has quadripole)
  radiation_inner = 3.0                      
  radiation_outer = 1.0                       
  radiation_pause = -0.003
}

{
  name = Sonnah
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 30                        //Should probably be more intense, given science data, but that would make early game WAY too hard
  radiation_outer = 3
  radiation_pause = -0.007
}

{
  name = Titanus
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 200.0
  radiation_outer = 5.0
  radiation_pause = -0.010
}

{
  name = Ete
  radiation_model = irregular
  radiation_pause = -0.002
}

{
  name = Vanor
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 200.0
  radiation_outer = 5.0
  radiation_pause = -0.010
}

RadiationModel:NEEDS[New_Horizons]
{
  name = tidus

has_pause = true
  pause_radius = 0.5
  pause_compression = 100.0 //this'll be towards the sun instead of vanor, but whatever
  pause_extension = 0.9
  pause_height_scale = 0.45
  pause_deform = 0.05
  pause_quality = 50.0
}

{
  name = Tidus
  radiation_model = tidus
  radiation_pause = -0.001
}

RadiationBody
{
  name = Etal
  radiation_model = earth                     
  radiation_inner = 10.0                      
  radiation_outer = 2.0                       
  radiation_pause = -1.000                    
}

It almost definitely needs some tweaking; I said that Sonnah's inner radiation should be more intense, but last time I sent someone in they all nearly died of radiation poisoning before even dying of slamming into the "ground"... 

The rest of the comments are pretty self-explanatory... though tbh Tidus is a bit too weird even taking that into consideration.

@Awaras It should triggered as soon as you entered the inner or outer belt. Crossing the magnetopause will not do it, albeit you can't cross the pause boundary without also crossing the outer belt. So maybe it is a bug.

@Putnam

46 minutes ago, Putnam said:

sorry, can't make it sideways

What you mean? I could expose the 'magnetic axis' for customization, now it is always equal to the rotation axis.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

1 minute ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Awaras It should triggered as soon as you entered the inner or outer belt. Crossing the magnetopause will not do it, albeit you can't cross the pause boundary without also crossing the outer belt. So maybe it is a bug.

Also, I noticed that since I installed 1.1.0. I am not getting any 'High radiation' warnings when entering radiation rings, even though the radiation icon in the mod panel goes red. I still get warnings related to power/oxygen. Only mods I have installed are Kerbalism, resource pack and connected living space (and MM, of course). 

Yeah, I had it at 1000 before, set it to 100, found even that was too big then forgot to lower it before posting here, heheh. Anyway, yeah, I noticed the limits as I was making them and noted them in the comments. The wording by "still basically can't do" means "the configuration provided has no tools to do this yet".

As for "sideways", yeah, I meant having magnetic axis be separate from axis of rotation. The magnetic axis of Arin is stated by the Dmagic magnetometer experiment to be sideways and one particular biome is given as the pole, so if I had rotations I could pretty easily set that up correctly. That was the only one I really searched around for, I figured the quadripole and huge tidal compression by parent body would rely on some sort of big rewrite after I had figured out all the various meanings of the options by perusing the code. If magnetic axis can be separated in a reasonably trivial manner, that'd be great.

Quadripole radiation I can't even imagine the appearance of, except maybe by making some sort of fake inner body with gravity too low for the SOI to reach the surface, but that sounds highly dangerous and irresponsible. Plus, it won't display right.

Also, I had the radiation belt contract issue earlier today as well... I got a high radiation warning and everything, did a geiger counter test to see if that would do it, recovered the whole thing, still didn't complete the contract. I have so many mods it could be any one of them, so I didn't bother reporting.

@Putnam I'll expose the magnetic axis for customization in next version. 

A quadrupole field section should look like this:

Spoiler

ElecStat2.png

In future I'll consider adding more variation to the field distance functions. Maybe even crazy things like this.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

Hello @ShotgunNinja i have stumbled across an issue with the malfunctions system.

Basically one of the parts malfunctioned, i went EVA wit a lvl5 Kerbal Engineer and approached the part but i dont see any effect, nothing gets repaired, no errors in the logfile.

I propably do something wrong but cant really find any solution myself :wink:

Any idead/tips on how to properly repair parts ?

Can you add some 100% mark to bars, to decribe what I mean -   my guys was hit by storm and now have big yellow bar, but it's hard to say where this bar will ends - is they have 60% or 90%.

@Jasseji When you get near on EVA, then right click and a 'repair' button should be available.

@Pol I'm going to replace those ascii progressbars with proper ones, someday...

@alex_1313 Is possible, albeit a bit undocumented at the moment. Your best bet is looking at the wiki here, and also digging the existing configurations for stock, RSS and OPM.

16 hours ago, Jasseji said:

Basically one of the parts malfunctioned, i went EVA wit a lvl5 Kerbal Engineer and approached the part but i dont see any effect, nothing gets repaired, no errors in the logfile.

So, the system reported a faulty part.  Your Kerbal went EVA and checked the part and no fault was found.   Hmmm...that's just like in....

Be afraid.  Be very afraid. :)

10 minutes ago, Jacke said:

So, the system reported a faulty part.  Your Kerbal went EVA and checked the part and no fault was found.   Hmmm...that's just like in....

Be afraid.  Be very afraid. :)

rz225vh5.jpg

6 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Jasseji When you get near on EVA, then right click and a 'repair' button should be available.

Well, there was no "repair", i could do other actions with the part

in this case it was a spinning centrifuge so i could stop/start the spin from EVA but no "repair" button :(

I will check again with other parts

What is the lethal radiation dose for a kerbal?

And what's up with Vall's surface radiation? Is it made out of uranium or something?

fec5a6f54e5451376415650285a70873.png

And Eve's ridiculously small magnetosphere? I guess its inspired after the magnetosphere of Venus right?

I love Dres's pole coverage though, It makes that lonely space potato a little more interesting:

b5b8f6eb7d202bfd4e8e3a19c86bdd7f.png

Edited by Thegamer211