[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

@Thegamer211 Fatal dose is 50 rad, in the Default profile.

Eve radiation environmnent is inspired by Venus one: while there is no active dynamo, the solar wind interact directly with the upper layers of the atmosphere to create a stronger than usual ionosphere (that's a rarefied plasma) that in turn help preserve the atmosphere against the solar wind (that else will blow the atmosphere off on geological times). So when you see an atmosphere, something has to preserve it against solar wind.

Vall radiation environment is inspired by Jupiter moon Io, whose vulcanic ejected material generate a thin plasma torus around Jupiter, that share the same orbit as Io. This in turn make the surface of Io one of the most dangerous place on the solar system with presumed surface radiation levels around 0.041 rad/s.

Dres 'polar anomaly' has no links with reality: is just something that was possible to implement, and that maybe will make it more interesting.

@Jasseji Strange, the gravity ring can't malfunction. I believe another component has failed: turn on malfunction highlights in the vessel monitor ui to find out which one. Let me know if you still can't repair it.

2 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Jasseji Strange, the gravity ring can't malfunction. I believe another component has failed: turn on malfunction highlights in the vessel monitor ui to find out which one. Let me know if you still can't repair it.

Another Spinning ring i meant - not the supplied one - anyway, i will see when it occurs again

Just now, Jasseji said:

Another Spinning ring i meant - not the supplied one - anyway, i will see when it occurs again

Was the malfunctioning part from Infernal Robotics? That mod is awesome but also triggers a lot of weird behaviors on other mods, FAR loves IR.

Quick update on what's coming next, in a few days maybe:

console.png

Every vessel has a computer. A command-line console can be opened from the vessel config panel.

It store text files, and device files: you may be familiar with them from unix/linux.

There are a number of 'drivers' that expose modules in the vessel as device drivers, and there are commands to get the status and control these modules. For example, you can extend all solar panels with the command 'ctrl panel on', or you can set the greenhouse lighting to half intensity with the command 'ctrl greenhouse/0 0.5', or stop a drill with the command 'ctrl harvester/drill0 off'. Or you can get the status of all scrubbers as a table with 'info scrubber'. These are just examples, in general you can control supported modules using the console.

You can edit text files. These can just be notes for example, and in fact the old vessel notepad is just a text file in the computer now. But also, you can edit scripts, and then execute them. There is no scripting language, instead you can see them as batch files or console scripts.

Some special text files are always present in the directory 'auto'. These have names such as 'sunlight', 'next_node', 'eva_out', 'landed', 'signal_loss', etc. They are executed as scripts automatically when the condition apply.

All of this apply transparently for loaded and unloaded vessels.

Wow, this last command console addition is awesome! Now this mod is like a pack, it has features from life support, realistic radiation, part failures, crew sanity, and now a console to program automatic action in a similar way to kOS. Yeah, this mod is a must have for realism...

4 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

[...]

Some special text files are always present in the directory 'auto'. These have names such as 'sunlight', 'next_node', 'eva_out', 'landed', 'signal_loss', etc. They are executed as scripts automatically when the condition apply.

I began reading it and thinking "I can do most of those things easier with ShipManifest", but then I saw this! :0.0:

I can execute the next maneuver node I created using the mouse like MJ's execute function and like RT's flight computer? (please, say yes!)

5 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Quick update on what's coming next, in a few days maybe:

console.png

Every vessel has a computer. A command-line console can be opened from the vessel config panel.

It store text files, and device files: you may be familiar with them from unix/linux.

There are a number of 'drivers' that expose modules in the vessel as device drivers, and there are commands to get the status and control these modules. For example, you can extend all solar panels with the command 'ctrl panel on', or you can set the greenhouse lighting to half intensity with the command 'ctrl greenhouse/0 0.5', or stop a drill with the command 'ctrl harvester/drill0 off'. Or you can get the status of all scrubbers as a table with 'info scrubber'. These are just examples, in general you can control supported modules using the console.

You can edit text files. These can just be notes for example, and in fact the old vessel notepad is just a text file in the computer now. But also, you can edit scripts, and then execute them. There is no scripting language, instead you can see them as batch files or console scripts.

You Man Rock :D

44 minutes ago, jlcarneiro said:

I began reading it and thinking "I can do most of those things easier with ShipManifest", but then I saw this! :0.0:

I can execute the next maneuver node I created using the mouse like MJ's execute function and like RT's flight computer? (please, say yes!)

Or (more importantly) set up a maneuver node that happens to fall in a communications blackout and have a probe execute it automatically? (You know, like they do in real life?) 

@jlcarneiro, @TheSaint Sorry guys, that's not the intended purpose of this automation system. There is a script executed at next maneuvre node, but I added it so the player can 'tag' a future point in the orbit and execute a script when the vessel get there. A way to execute maneuvre nodes could be added later, perhaps, but it wasn't my original intention.

There is a option in Settings.cfg called 'RemoteControlLink' that you can set to false to allow you to control probes without link, and only data transmission is disabled. This probably simulate what happen in reality better, and avoid the problem of landing without a link on an atmosphere-less body.

possibly dumb question but.. when do the kerbals eat?  I sent them up with oxygen and food... had them up there for several days.. didn't use any food.  Also, is there any integration with Kerbal Planetary Base Systems?  ie, food containers/O2 containers that fit in those little storage slots, or anything like that?

@ss8913 

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

possibly dumb question but.. when do the kerbals eat?  I sent them up with oxygen and food... had them up there for several days.. didn't use any food

If you installed using CKAN, make sure you also installed the package 'Kerbalism Default Profile'.

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

Also, is there any integration with Kerbal Planetary Base Systems?  ie, food containers/O2 containers that fit in those little storage slots, or anything like that

KPBS has explicit support for greenhouses, quality-of-life parts and converter malfunctions. In addition, Kerbalism use standard food/oxygen resources and so the containers will work out of the box.

3 minutes ago, inigma said:

I'm not getting EVA lights to turn on with Kerbalism installed.  Battery shows full, but red. Fresh EVA. Ideas?

That's not a Kerbalism issue, it goes to a KSP bug which has to do with low FPS and the game not registering L, here's the solution until Squad actually fix it.

Bug Fix Module

6 minutes ago, Kerbos said:

That's not a Kerbalism issue, it goes to a KSP bug which has to do with low FPS and the game not registering L, here's the solution until Squad actually fix it.

Bug Fix Module

I installed it. Still no fix. Only when uninstalling Kerbalism do EVA lights work.  Furthermore, the issue appears to be with Kerbalism as EC % for the EVA does not register when hovering over the full, but red colored battery icon in the Kerbalism info window.

1 minute ago, inigma said:

I installed it. Still no fix. Only when uninstalling Kerbalism do EVA lights work.  Furthermore, the issue appears to be with Kerbalism as EC % for the EVA does not register when hovering over the full, but red colored battery icon in the Kerbalism info window.

Ohhh sry didn't understood the red battery thing the first time, if you installed kerbalism using CKAN you also need to install the default profile pack that comes with it, if it's not that a good old screenshot could help clear this out.

5 minutes ago, Kerbos said:

Ohhh sry didn't understood the red battery thing the first time, if you installed kerbalism using CKAN you also need to install the default profile pack that comes with it, if it's not that a good old screenshot could help clear this out.

Yup. Installed from CKAN. and Yup, did not check to install the Kerbalism Default Profile (which loads RoverDude's Community Resource Pack, which is a requirement for Kerbalism). Downloaded Kerbalism Default Profile on CKAN and issue now fixed.  No more red battery icon, and I get EVA lights now. :)

Edited by inigma

Its... beautiful. :'OHGtCEK5.pngWill be working on patches for NH and other assorted mods for the new radiation profile immediately, thanks for fixing the the radiation profile for me.

EDIT: What ever you did with the GPU fixed an annoying main menu bug with Sonnah from NH being different colours. Neat.

EDIT2: Am I allowed to edit existing radiation profiles for planets, due to the way NH re-arranges the system. Moho's radiation would be toned down a bit, Laythe would have a proper Earth radiation field, ect. Also, shouldn't Minmus have surface radiation and Tylo have an irregular magnetosphere? 

Edited by BashGordon33

2 hours ago, BashGordon33 said:

Am I allowed to edit existing radiation profiles for planets, due to the way NH re-arranges the system. Moho's radiation would be toned down a bit, Laythe would have a proper Earth radiation field, ect. Also, shouldn't Minmus have surface radiation and Tylo have an irregular magnetosphere?

I think it is a good idea, New Horizon is a complete different solar system. I'm not familiar with it, so I can't really suggest the changes, but feel free to modify anything you think is appropriate.

9 minutes ago, BashGordon33 said:

Got it done way earlier than expected. Science definitions will come later

I'll include it in next release, in a couple day. If you update it let me know.

Would you like me to do a more in-depth radiation profile for OPM? I could add some profiles for a few other planets.

BTW Moho is situated directly in Moh's radiation belt. Moh is a gas giant. Time to stock up on shielding... 

Edited by BashGordon33

So I just decided to make detailed radiation profiles for every planet pack I use:

Yeah, I have a lot of planet packs XD. You should use the new version of NH it's better

@ShotgunNinja hey, i came up with a couple of questions/ideas, maybe you could consider them (btw, the repair issue is caused by misplaced part colliders, i fixed the part by flying around the affected centrifuge and at one point it appeared :D).

I see a bright future, where one day Kerbalism will be the one and only mod to use apart from visual mods and part packs :D

Here:

1. Display Total Crew in Ship Monitor window (on the details page for instance) - is it  possible to implement at all ?

2. In the planner window show supply duration with Current and Max Crew (as TAC-LS has it)

3. Did you ever think about implementing your own Station Keeping/Orbital Decay solution or somehow integrate Whitecat's Orbital Decay Mod into your Ship Monitor ?

4. I know it's in the Profile cfg's but can we have an in-game Consumption Rate display so we know how many of each supply is consumed per Kerbal per day ?

5. do you plan on adding more Supply Containers ? If not, maybe you want me to create cfg's/MM Patches based on existing Squad/Public available Parts for more Container diversity ?

6. Perhaps the Greenhouse could offer some entertainment too ? Looking at plants should help with Kerbal Sanity :D

@Jasseji Glad you solved it, indeed it may be tricky for big parts, as you need to get to a few meters from the center of the part.

(1): You mean showing number of crew on board in the vessel info window? That's not hard to implement

(2): It is already there: press and keep pressed ALT in the planner, and it will consider the total crew capacity for its calculations, instead of the current vessel crew

(3): I do decay unloaded vessels inside atmosphere, as I hate that it doesn't happen in stock. That system can trivially be extended for all orbit decays, but personally I don't know if I want to play with station keeping myself, so that's one of the reason I didn't add that mechanic.

(4): Maybe I can add that somewhere, perhaps a a tooltip in the planner. I have shortage problems of UI real estate... Unrelated, but it may be useful: in Settings.cfg you can set ShowRates to true and if you do, the supply in vessel info window alternate between lifetime estimates and consumption/production rates. 

(5): There is a pattern in the parts provided: they are the minimum set to showcase all features. But if you want to make an MM patch for a part pack I'll include it: contributions are always welcomed.

(6): Not to mention recreational plants... :wink:

4 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Jasseji Glad you solved it, indeed it may be tricky for big parts, as you need to get to a few meters from the center of the part.

(1): You mean showing number of crew on board in the vessel info window? That's not hard to implement

(2): It is already there: press and keep pressed ALT in the planner, and it will consider the total crew capacity for its calculations, instead of the current vessel crew

(3): I do decay unloaded vessels inside atmosphere, as I hate that it doesn't happen in stock. That system can trivially be extended for all orbit decays, but personally I don't know if I want to play with station keeping myself, so that's one of the reason I didn't add that mechanic.

(4): Maybe I can add that somewhere, perhaps a a tooltip in the planner. I have shortage problems of UI real estate... Unrelated, but it may be useful: in Settings.cfg you can set ShowRates to true and if you do, the supply in vessel info window alternate between lifetime estimates and consumption/production rates. 

(5): There is a pattern in the parts provided: they are the minimum set to showcase all features. But if you want to make an MM patch for a part pack I'll include it: contributions are always welcomed.

(6): Not to mention recreational plants... :wink:

1. I's woukd be nice to have, better if easy to implement :wink:

2. OOOOH, got it now :D

3. just an idea for future features, first add Decay and then think about some automatic Station keeping  :wink:

4. TAC LS and USI LS have a separate Config Screen which is only accessible from Space Center - perhaps some icon in the Monitor Window which would open a separate Pop-Up ? This could be extended in future to allow setting consumption rates in-game

5. How about repurposing/resizing some of the parts you included ? an external MM Patch would only work if consumption rates would be consistent between different profiles but they arent (and we have here different resources as well) - i'll give it some thought, perhaps it will have to be included in the Profiles themselves

6. And Mushrooms, don't forget Mushrooms :D